Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Looking for Recyclables
Makes Grim Find: Cops
Nov 9, 2023 10:30 AM CST
Man Looking for Recyclables Makes Grim Find: Cops
Authorities fear torso found in Encino dumpster may be lead in case of missing 3; man arrested
- Police officers who responded to a report of a women's torso in a dumpster in Encino, California, fear not just one life was lost, but three. Police have arrested a Tarzana man, whose wife and in-laws are missing, KNBC reports. A man who'd been searching for recyclables reported...
Cops: He Had 'My Dead Friends'
as Apartment Decorations
Jul 14, 2023 8:42 AM CDT
Cops: He Had 'My Dead Friends' as Apartment Decorations
Kentucky's James Nott allegedly sold human remains on Facebook
- One man tied up in a nationwide network of traffickers in human remains was located Tuesday in a Kentucky apartment decorated with human spinal cords, femur and hip bones, and 40 skulls, one of which was found on the bed where he slept, according to court documents. "The skulls...
Macron Received a Most
Unusual Package in the Mail
Jul 13, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Macron Received a Most Unusual Package in the Mail
Severed finger from living human arrived at Elysee Palace on Monday, sans note
- The last time that "Emmanuel Macron" and "finger" appeared in a headline together, it was due to commotion over a selfie he'd taken with two young men, one of whom flipped the bird in the photo. This time around, the finger in question is a bit more...
At Harvard Medical School,
an 'Abhorrent Betrayal'
Jun 14, 2023 4:06 PM CDT
At Harvard Medical School, an 'Abhorrent Betrayal'
Federal indictment accuses school's morgue manager of stealing, selling body parts
- Human body parts that ended up sold via social media and a place called Kat’s Creepy Creations were stolen from Harvard Medical School, say federal officials, who allege the school's morgue manager was the one who took the remains. A federal indictment accuses Cedric Lodge, 55, of taking...
Case' Reaches Its Conclusion
Jan 4, 2023 10:35 AM CST
'Real-Life Body-Snatching Case' Reaches Its Conclusion
Megan Hess sentenced to 20 years after pleading guilty to mail fraud
- Prosecutors said what victims perceived as Megan Hess' lack of remorse would be considered at her January sentencing, and it apparently was. The former Colorado funeral home operator faced up to 20 years after pleading guilty in July to a count of mail fraud tied to a scheme in which...
Police Reveal Identity of
Long Island Serial Killer Victim
May 29, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Police Reveal Identity of Long Island Serial Killer Victim
Valerie Mack's body parts were stashed in 2 locations, as with another victim
- Long Island serial killer victim Jane Doe No. 6 has now been identified as a 24-year-old Philadelphia escort who disappeared in 2000. Valerie Mack, who also used the name Melissa Taylor, was last seen in Port Republic, NJ, in the spring or summer of that year. Her partial remains were...
He Approved a
Then His Mom's
Body Blew Up
Jul 31, 2019 9:40 AM CDT
He Approved a Brain Study. Then His Mom's Body Blew Up
Jim Stauffer is one of 35 people suing over Biological Resource Center
- Jim Stauffer thought he was benefiting Alzheimer's research when he donated his mother's body to Biological Resource Center five years ago. As Doris Stauffer, 73, had suffered from Alzheimer's but was without the gene linked to the disease, her son thought a brain study could be useful....
Here's What the FBI Found
in a Body Donation Company
Jul 27, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Here's What the FBI Found in a Body Donation Company
The Biological Resource Center Inc. was up to no good
- The FBI's raid on an Arizona body donation company revealed sights that can only be called gruesome. A former agent has testified in a civil suit against Biological Resource Center Inc. and its owner, saying he saw "several unsettling scenes" when the company's doors were opened in...
Recognize This Shoe? Its
Owner Is Missing a Foot
Feb 13, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Recognize This Shoe? Its Owner Is Missing a Foot
Authorities look to identify 15th foot washed ashore in Canada
- Canadian police say they're not alarmed by a human foot on a British Columbia beach—at least the 15th discovered since 2007. The left foot washed ashore in West Vancouver in September, though the BC Coroners Service is just now looking for help identifying its owner. "Typically …...
Face Life in Prison
in Dismemberment Case
Dec 13, 2018 10:10 AM CST
Son, Parents Face Life in Prison in Dismemberment Case
Cops say concealing Ashley Young's death was a family affair
- It's not only a Michigan man who could face life in prison after a woman's mutilated body was discovered in the apartment building he owns. Jared Chance's parents—including a father who worked as an Illinois police officer for 25 years, per WWMT —could face the...
With Body Parts
in Stroller May
Have Killed 20
Oct 9, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Couple Found With Body Parts in Stroller May Have Killed 20
Male suspect says he pulverized bones for fertilizer, used victims' flesh for pet food
- Police in Mexico had been tracking a couple, suspecting them of being tied to the disappearance of three women and a 2-month-old baby. So when cops spotted them pushing a baby carriage Thursday in the Mexico City suburb of Ecatepec, they were hopeful they'd find the infant inside. Instead,...
Jan 6, 2018 11:13 AM CST
Bodies Were 'Frozen Together in Flesh-on-Flesh Chunks': FBI
So-called body broker on trial for fraud
- FBI Agent Leslie Larsen says the body parts—legs, arms, torsos, organs, and heads—inside the Detroit warehouse were "frozen together in flesh-on-flesh chunks" that required a pneumatic chisel and crowbar to separate. She says there was no heat in the "filthy" warehouse, nor running water or functioning...
Cops: Serial Killer Met
Teen Victims on Twitter
Nov 1, 2017 10:01 AM CDT
Cops: Serial Killer Met Teen Victims on Twitter
He allegedly targeted those looking to commit suicide
- The 27-year-old Japanese man in whose apartment police found body parts belonging to nine people—including two severed heads and 240 bones—allegedly targeted teenage girls on Twitter. According to police, Takahiro Shiraishi used Twitter to connect with those wanting to commit suicide. He's suspected of killing four teens...
Why Thawing the Dead With
a Hose Is Basically Legal
Oct 28, 2017 9:55 AM CDT
Why Thawing the Dead With a Hose Is Basically Legal
Reuters digs into the grim, gruesome, and largely unregulated world of cadavers
- When the subject is cadavers, and one of the first sentences is "grisly abuses abound," you know what's to come is likely not for the faint of heart. That's true with Reuters' investigation into the body trade: The story opens with a description of "bits...
Our Languages May Have More
in Common Than We Thought
Sep 13, 2016 8:01 PM CDT
Our Languages May Have More in Common Than We Thought
New findings challenge long-held theories about languages forming independently
- About 100 years ago, one of the founders of modern linguistics, Ferdinand de Saussure, wrote that the relationship between the sounds we make and the concepts they signify are arbitrary. Many have long agreed. But now the inherent randomness of human language is being challenged by a large new study...
2 Sets of Feet Washed
Ashore in Fiji; Now, a Head
Jul 6, 2016 9:27 AM CDT
2 Sets of Feet Washed Ashore in Fiji; Now, a Head
Russian couple dismembered, perhaps by a missing chainsaw
- New Zealanders Graeme and Jan Bickley were on vacation in Fiji, strolling on the popular Natadola Beach when Graeme noticed a package wrapped in green cloth not far from shore, reports the BBC . "I scrambled in and grabbed hold, it was very, very heavy," he says. "I...
Jun 8, 2016 12:23 PM CDT
Human Albinos in Malawi Hunted Like 'Animals'
Increase in murders by 'hunters' seeking 'magical' body parts has made situation dire
- There are more cases of albinism in sub-Saharan Africa than anywhere else on Earth, per the
, and in Malawi, a violent sidebar to this phenomenon has emerged over the past year and a half. People there with the hereditary condition —marked by a reduction or faulty distribution...
Secretly 'Sold Me
Her Frozen Mother'
Jun 1, 2016 5:09 PM CDT
Woman: Neighbor Secretly 'Sold Me Her Frozen Mother'
And for a bargain, too
- A Goldsboro, NC, woman thought her neighbor only wanted to get rid of her freezer because she was moving out of state to be with her aging mother. After the discovery of body parts in the freezer, the truth appears to be a lot more complicated. The unidentified woman paid...
Woman Dealt Diseased
Body Parts in Grisly Case
Mar 22, 2016 10:06 AM CDT
Woman Dealt Diseased Body Parts in Grisly Case
Her estranged husband will stand trial in April
- A Detroit woman faces up to 10 months in prison for fraud after admitting to renting diseased body parts to researchers. Elizabeth Rathburn, 56—to be sentenced in July—also must pay $55,225 to the American Anesthesiology Association, whose researchers were told the body parts were clean, reports the...
Woman Goes to
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 17, 2016 10:31 AM CST
Woman Goes to Carwash, Finds Utter Horror
In the form of a human face on the carwash floor
- A Montana veterinarian who took a trip to the carwash in 2013 is now suing for medical expenses and damages for a find on the carwash's floor that she says has caused her tremendous trauma. Per Courthouse News Service , Kimberly Kriege brought her truck to a Livingston carwash on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.