Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lebanese Lawmaker Demands
Her $8.5K Trapped in Bank
Oct 5, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
Lebanese Lawmaker Demands Her $8.5K Trapped in Bank
Cynthia Zarazir says she needed the money to cover a surgery
- A Lebanese parliamentarian on Wednesday entered a bank branch near Beirut, demanding some of her trapped savings to cover medical expenses. Cash-strapped Lebanon in recent weeks has witnessed a surge in depositors storming bank branches to forcefully withdraw their locked savings as the country's economy continues to spiral. On...
Already Angry Bank Customers
Here Are About to Get Angrier
Sep 22, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Already Angry Bank Customers Here Are About to Get Angrier
Lebanon shutters banks 'indefinitely' after heist spree by patrons trying to access trapped cash
- If you're in Lebanon and need to do regular banking, better download the app—and expect all the usual limitations on how much money you can take out. That's because after being closed for three days already, most banks there are now shuttered "indefinitely" after a rush...
Woman With Toy Gun Takes
Her Own Money From Bank
Sep 14, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
Woman With Toy Gun Takes Her Own Money From Bank
Sali Hafez said Beirut bank had $20K of her money, she needed to pay for sister's treatment
- A woman accompanied by activists and brandishing what she said was a toy pistol broke into a Beirut bank branch on Wednesday, taking $13,000 from her trapped savings. Sali Hafez told Al-Jadeed TV that she needed the money to fund her 23-year-old sister’s cancer treatment, reports the AP...
This Is the World's
Sep 11, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
This Is the World's Unhappiest Country
Afghanistan displaces Iraq at top of Gallup list
- Last year was a tough year for many countries—but in Afghanistan and Lebanon, things were so bad that the countries displaced Iraq at the top of the list of countries with the worst emotional health. Gallup says the two countries topped its "composite measure of people's daily...
Man Holds Bank Hostage,
Demands His Own Money
Aug 12, 2022 9:36 AM CDT
Man Holds Bank Hostage, Demands His Own Money
Bassam al-Sheikh Hussein is now being hailed a hero in Lebanon
- A man with a gun held a Lebanese bank hostage for more than six hours on Thursday—firing warning shots and threatening to set himself on fire—then emerged to be hailed a hero. Banks in Lebanon imposed strict rules on withdrawals in 2019 amid a devastating economic crisis that...
This Is the Angriest
Country on Earth
Aug 7, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
This Is the Angriest Country on Earth
Lebanon needs to seek out more joy, according to Gallup's latest 'Global Emotions' report
- If you're been seeing red lately, you're still likely not as PO'ed as folks in other parts of the world. Middle East Monitor reports on this year's angriest countries, compiled via data from Gallup's annual "Global Emotions" report . The analytics company's research, which...
Lebanon Shuts Down
for Day of Mourning
Oct 15, 2021 3:38 AM CDT
Lebanon Shuts Down for Day of Mourning
It comes on the heels of gun battles between heavily armed militias that killed 6
- Schools, banks, and government offices across Lebanon shut down Friday after hours of gun battles between heavily armed militias killed six people and terrorized the residents of Beirut. The government called for a day of mourning following the armed clashes, in which gunmen used automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades on...
Power Plants Shut Down
Oct 10, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Lebanon’s Main Power Plants Shut Down
2 main state power plants expected to come back online Monday at the earliest
- Lebanon’s two main power plants were forced to shut down after running out of fuel, the state electricity company said Saturday, leaving the small country with no government-produced power. "It is unlikely that it will work until next Monday, or for several days," the
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans
to These 6 Destinations
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
CDC: Postpone Vacation Plans to These 6 Destinations
Bahamas, 5 other locations moved onto CDC's list of 'very high' COVID risk
- The CDC's travel advisories list for COVID just received an update, with six nations moving up to Level 4 status, reports CNN . In other words—these are the countries you shouldn't be heading to right now. Ending up in the "Very High" risk category means that these...
A Dead PM,
an $800M Tribunal,
and 'Deficient Justice'
Aug 17, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
A Dead PM, an $800M Tribunal, and 'Deficient Justice'
Special Tribunal for Lebanon stammers to its end
- The Special Tribunal for Lebanon describes itself as "the first tribunal of international character to prosecute terrorist crimes"—the "first" part relating to the fact it was formed solely with a focus on terrorism. It came about as part of an agreement between the UN and the...
Crisis-Hit Lebanon 'Days
Away From Social Explosion'
Jul 6, 2021 8:30 PM CDT
Crisis-Hit Lebanon 'Days Away From Social Explosion'
Financial meltdown is among the worst since the mid-1800s, World Bank warns
- The pandemic has brought tough times to many countries. In Lebanon, it has only deepened one of the worst financial and economic crises ever seen. The World Bank warned last month that the Lebanon crisis could rank among the worst ten—and possibly the worst three—worldwide since the 1850s,...
Israel Is Trying to Assassinate
a Man It Just Can't Kill
May 19, 2021 11:39 AM CDT
Israel Is Trying to Assassinate a Man It Just Can't Kill
There have been at least 8 attempts on Mohammed Deif's life over the years
- The conflict between Israel and Hamas has now hit day 10, and there have been four calls between President Biden and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in that time. CNN describes the latest as "a signal that Biden is losing patience" with a leader he has known for some...
Unusual Heat Wave Sets
Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Oct 10, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Unusual Heat Wave Sets Off Chaotic Chain Reaction
Wildfires, mass evacuations, and detonating land mines in the Middle East
- Wildfires around the Middle East triggered by a heat wave hitting the region have killed two people, forced thousands of people to leave their homes, and detonated land mines along the Lebanon-Israel border, state media and officials said Saturday. The areas hit by the heat wave are Syria, Lebanon, Israel,...
US Has New
Theory on Cause
of Lebanon Blast
Aug 14, 2020 6:15 AM CDT
US Has New Theory on Cause of Lebanon Blast
Review puts blame on maintenance work
- A US review has found that maintenance work probably triggered the deadly explosion in Beirut last week. The State Department is in agreement on the cause with Lebanese investigators, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, though President Trump had blamed "a bomb of some kind" immediately after the blast. US...
Lebanon's Leaders Received
Dire Warning 3 Weeks Ago
Aug 11, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
Lebanon's Leaders Received Dire Warning 3 Weeks Ago
Report, letter warned Beirut could be leveled if chemicals weren't secured
- Security officials warned Lebanon's president and prime minister that the 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored in Beirut's port could explode, destroying the city, just two weeks before that more or less happened. That's according to Reuters , which got its hands on a state security report...
Lebanon's Entire Government
Aug 10, 2020 12:23 PM CDT
Lebanon's Entire Government Just Resigned
Prime Minister Hassan Diab and his Cabinet quit amid anger over port explosion
- Lebanon’s prime minister is stepping down in the wake of the Beirut port explosion last week that triggered public fury and mass protests. In a brief televised speech, Prime Minister Hassan Diab said Monday that he is taking “a step back” so he can stand with the people...
Aug 8, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Things Are Heating Up in Beirut
Protesters hit the streets over an explosion that devastated the city
- Security forces fired tear gas and clashed with stone-throwing demonstrators Saturday in Beirut, and a group of protesters stormed the foreign ministry amid mounting fury over this week's explosion that devastated much of the city and killed nearly 160 people, the AP reports. Dozens were still missing and nearly...
60K Sign Petition for
France to Rule Lebanon
Aug 7, 2020 8:26 AM CDT
60K Sign Petition for France to Rule Lebanon
After Beirut blast, many have given up on government
- French President Emmanuel Macron visited Beirut Thursday—and after Tuesday's devastating explosion , more than a few Lebanese were ready for him to take over as
president. A petition circulating on Avaaz calling for the former colonial power to take charge of Lebanon for the next 10 years now...
Grief Turns to Anger in Beirut
Aug 6, 2020 6:48 AM CDT
Grief Turns to Anger in Beirut
Residents blame 'failed state' for devastating blast
- Beirut has been devastated by a massive explosion that killed at least 137 people and left an estimated 300,000 people homeless—and angry residents say the country was broken long before the Tuesday blast. Residents blame corruption and incompetence for the fact that 2,750 tons of highly explosive...
135 Dead in Beirut Blast,
Including an American
Aug 6, 2020 12:04 AM CDT
135 Dead in Beirut Blast, Including an American
Another 5K were wounded, 300K left homeless
- At least one US citizen was among those killed in the devastating Beirut explosion Tuesday night, and several others were injured. The death toll so far stands at 135, with another 100 still missing and search and rescue efforts continuing, ABC News reports. Another 5,000 were wounded, and as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.