Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Not-So-Great Vibrations for
Brian Wilson, Ex Lead to Suit
Mar 31, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Not-So-Great Vibrations for Brian Wilson, Ex Lead to Suit
Marilyn Wilson-Rutherford says she's entitled to more cash after Wilson sold song rights to UMPG
- Marilyn Wilson-Rutherford was married to Brian Wilson from 1964 to 1978, a 14-year stretch during which the Beach Boys co-founder helped write some of the group's biggest hits, including "Good Vibrations," "California Girls," and "Wouldn't It Be Nice." Now, a year after...
Boycott the Beach Boys
Feb 4, 2020 6:21 AM CST
Brian Wilson: Boycott the Beach Boys
Tweet comes as Mike Love's band is set to perform for Safari Club International
- A founding member of the Beach Boys wants people to boycott, um, the Beach Boys. In a Monday tweet , Brian Wilson linked to an online petition asking fans to stop supporting the band until it withdraws from a Wednesday concert at Safari Club International's annual convention in Nevada, where...
Brian Wilson: I'm 'Struggling
With Stuff in My Head'
Jun 7, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
Brian Wilson: I'm 'Struggling With Stuff in My Head'
Beach Boys legend postpones tour over 'mental insecurity'
- Beach Boys icon Brian Wilson has long struggled with mental health issues, and a troubling new re-emergence has forced him to postpone an upcoming US tour, reports the
. Wilson himself let fans know in an open letter . "I’ve been struggling with stuff in my head and saying...
Dude, Check Out
Aug 21, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Dude, Check Out California's New State Sport
Surfing is officially sanctioned
- Surf's up in California, where it's now the official state sport, per the AP . Gov. Jerry Brown said Monday he has signed a bill making it so. The new law declares surfing to be "an iconic California sport"—though it acknowledges that surfing originated with the...
Beach Boy May Have Seen
Unreported Manson Killing
Sep 1, 2016 12:03 AM CDT
Beach Boy May Have Seen Unreported Manson Killing
Mike Love says Dennis Wilson was too scared to tell the police
- Charles Manson committed a murder that no one knew about—except at least two of the Beach Boys. That's according to
, the new memoir from Mike Love. In the book, Love claims bandmate and cousin Dennis Wilson came to him at a recording studio in 1969 "...
Performs Beach Boys Classic
Oct 8, 2014 10:08 AM CDT
'Impossible Orchestra' Performs Beach Boys Classic
Supergroup includes Brian Wilson, Stevie Wonder, Lorde, and many more
- The BBC managed to put together one of the greatest "supergroups" of all time: 27 famous artists who came together to perform the Beach Boys classic "God Only Knows." Brian Wilson is there, of course, but other singers include Stevie Wonder, Pharrell Williams, Lorde, Kylie Minogue, Dave...
8 Musicians Kicked Out
of Bands They Founded
Mar 10, 2013 12:18 PM CDT
8 Musicians Kicked Out of Bands They Founded
The latest: Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots
- Scott Weiland was confused when Stone Temple Pilots announced he'd been fired. "Not sure how I can be 'terminated' from a band I founded" was his response, according to the
. But these seven other musicians experienced the same thing:
After just a year in Metallica, guitarist
Surfers, Marines Clash
Over Famous Beach
in case you missed it
Feb 23, 2013 12:50 PM CST
Surfers, Marines Clash Over Famous Beach
Military opposes move to add Trestles to National Register
- Surfers and Marines are poised to do battle over one of the world's most famous surfing spots. Trestles in southern California has seven of the best surf breaks around and surfers want to see it added to the National Register of Historic Places. But the Marines own the beach,...
I'm Not Being
Sued by the Beach Boys
Aug 6, 2010 4:35 PM CDT
Katy Perry: I'm Not Being Sued by the Beach Boys
Singer calls rumors over 'California Gurls' bogus
- Katy Perry is dismissing rumors that she is getting sued for using part of the Beach Boys' "California Girls" in her song "California Gurls". "No one is suing anyone," Perry tweeted , calling the reports "once again" an example of the media's tendency to "fabricate...
Beach Boy Wilson to
Complete Gershwin Songs
Oct 8, 2009 11:08 AM CDT
Beach Boy Wilson to Complete Gershwin Songs
Project a 'weird dream come true' for fans of 2 seminal American composers
- Beach Boys songster Brian Wilson will put a gloss on unfinished tunes by revered Jazz Age composer George Gershwin. Gershwin’s estate tells the
Los Angeles Times
that dozens of fragments, from “a few bars to some almost finished songs and everything in between,” have been in limbo...
Sep 25, 2009 1:27 PM CDT
Girls' Debut 'Dizzily Powerful'
Up-and-coming band 'getting a ton of blog love' for 'heartbreaking' debut
- The frontman of the pop duo Girls has a backstory that’s “epically sad and squalid and ultimately triumphant,” but you don’t need to know his history to recognize Girls' debut,
, as “a dizzily powerful piece of work,” writes Tom Breihan for Pitchfork. Christopher...
25 Car Tunes for
Aug 22, 2009 4:42 PM CDT
25 Car Tunes for Kids
Add some Marley, Beach Boys to the Disney playlist
- Parents, don’t let Disney's catalog of saccharine tunes ruin any more of your road trips. There are songs that can bridge the generation gap, Lindsay Armstrong writes on Babble:
Jackson Five’s “ABC”: School the kids on the alphabet and pop music—all at once.
Beach Boys Settle Lawsuit
Mar 21, 2008 5:53 AM CDT
Smiles All Round as Beach Boys Settle Lawsuit
Good vibrations could lead to a band reunion
- The three surviving original members of the Beach Boys have smoothed out a years-long legal disagreement, Reuters reports. Mike Love and the record company part-owned by Brian Wilson had sued founding member Al Jardine over his unauthorized use of the Beach Boys name for tours. With good vibrations now flowing...
Musical McCain Becomes YouTube Hit
Apr 20, 2007 11:59 AM CDT
Musical McCain Becomes YouTube Hit
But "bomb bomb Iran" joke may be tone-deaf political move
- If John McCain fails in his presidential bid, he may have a future in karaoke. The senator-turned-songbird's impromptu performance of "Bomb Bomb Iran"—set to the tune of the Beach Boys classic "Barbara Ann"—at a South Carolina campaign rally has picked up 118,000 YouTube...
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.