Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: Amazon Is Now the
Biggest US Delivery Business
Nov 27, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Report: Amazon Is Now the Biggest US Delivery Business
'WSJ' reports online giant has moved ahead of UPS, FedEx
- Almost a decade after its efforts to build its own delivery network were mocked by rivals FedEx and UPS, Amazon has surpassed them both to become America's biggest delivery business, according to the
Wall Street Journal.
citing "internal Amazon data and people familiar with the matter,...
Amazon Stays Tough as Nails
on Return to Office Mandate
Nov 17, 2023 10:59 AM CST
Amazon Stays Tough as Nails on Return to Office Mandate
Company says workers who don't comply may lose out on promotions
- Amazon has been fairly unyielding with its return-to-office mandate, and a new report from CNBC indicates that stance isn't softening. Per posts on the company's internal site viewed by CNBC, staffers who don't work from the office at least three days a week—as they have been...
You May Be Able to Buy
Your Next Car on Amazon
Nov 16, 2023 5:00 PM CST
You May Be Able to Buy Your Next Car on Amazon
To begin with, site will let customers buy on site from local Hyundai dealers next year
- Want to add a car to your Amazon cart? You might get your chance. The e-commerce giant will launch vehicle sales in the US next year and allow local car dealers to sell directly to customers on its site. In a joint announcement with car manufacturer Hyundai on Thursday, the...
Undisclosed Algorithm Helped
Amazon Raise Prices: FTC
Oct 4, 2023 6:50 PM CDT
Undisclosed Algorithm Helped Amazon Raise Prices: FTC
Company says 'Project Nessie' is misunderstood
- Amazon relied on an undisclosed algorithm to help it increase what it charged buyers without risking the company ending up alone at higher price points, a government lawsuit says—the idea was to pull competitors along. "Project Nessie" helped Amazon leverage its market clout, the Federal Trade Commission's...
Feds, States Bring Huge
Monopoly Suit Against Amazon
Sep 26, 2023 11:44 AM CDT
Feds, States Bring Huge Monopoly Suit Against Amazon
FTC, 17 states say Jeff Bezos' company is an illegal operation
- The Federal Trade Commission and 17 state attorneys general filed an antitrust lawsuit against Amazon on Tuesday, alleging the e-commerce behemoth uses its position in the marketplace to inflate prices on other platforms, overcharge sellers, and stifle competition. The lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Western District of...
In Artificial Intelligence Race,
'Claude' Just Got a $4B Boost
Sep 25, 2023 8:37 AM CDT
In Artificial Intelligence Race, 'Claude' Just Got a $4B Boost
Amazon invests big in startup Anthropic, seen as a main rival to ChatGPT, backed by Microsoft
- The fast-intensifying arms race in artificial intelligence just intensified again. Amazon is investing up to $4 billion in the startup Anthropic, which makes an AI tool called Claude, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The initial outlay is $1.25 billion, but it can hit the higher amount if all goes...
Amazon Prime Caves,
Will Run Ads on Films, Shows
Sep 22, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Amazon Prime Caves, Will Run Ads on Films, Shows
Prime members who don't want such interruptions can fork over an extra $2.99 per month
- Amazon Prime Video will include advertising during shows and movies starting early next year, joining other streaming services that have added different tiers of subscriptions. Members of Amazon Prime can pay $2.99 per month in the US to keep their service ad-free, the company said Friday, per the AP...
Amazon Driver Dropped
the Box. The Snake Struck
Sep 20, 2023 11:41 AM CDT
Amazon Driver Dropped the Box. The Snake Struck
She was bitten on the back of her leg while delivering a package
- An Amazon driver encountered something worse than a porch pirate on Monday. As Monet Robinson was delivering a package to a home in Palm City, Florida, she was bitten in the back of her leg, just above the knee, by an eastern diamondback rattlesnake that had been coiled by the...
to Bottom of
in a Unique Way
Aug 4, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
Amazon Delivers to Bottom of Grand Canyon, in a Unique Way
Company can't use its vans to reach workers at Phantom Ranch, but mules do the trick
- You may be accustomed to seeing those ubiquitous dark-blue vans with the Amazon logo puttering around your town, especially around the holidays when package deliveries are at a peak. In the northwest corner of Arizona, however, a different mode of transport is employed: mules, saddled up with sealed boxes as...
Bernie Sanders Launches
Investigation Into Amazon
Jun 21, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Launches Investigation Into Amazon
Senator is probing working conditions at the e-commerce giant
- Bernie Sanders announced Tuesday that the Senate committee he chairs has launched a probe into working conditions at Amazon's warehouses. The senator said the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, or HELP, will be looking into why Amazon is "one of the most dangerous places" to work...
Amazon Plans Ad Tier
for Prime Video
Jun 8, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Amazon Plans Ad Tier for Prime Video
Sources say discussions are in early stages
- Netflix got one, Disney+ got one, and now it looks like it's Prime Video's turn. Amazon is reportedly planning an ad-supported tier of its streaming service. Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
discussions are in the early stages and could still be set aside. But advertisers are definitely...
Ordering at Panera?
Put Up Your Palm
Apr 1, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Ordering at Panera? Put Up Your Palm
Critics say chain's plan to use biometrics payment system could lead to privacy issues
- Soon, paying at Panera Bread will be as easy as holding up your hand. That's because the bakery-cafe chain will be rolling out a palm-reading payment system over the next few months, expediting transactions but raising concerns among privacy advocates. NPR reports that the biometrics technology it plans on...
Amazon Rebuffs Pleas From
30K Workers to Stay Remote
Mar 24, 2023 2:32 PM CDT
Amazon Rebuffs Pleas From 30K Workers to Stay Remote
HR chief says that, despite petition, return-to-office plan will continue as planned, starting May 1
- Last month, Amazon CEO Andy Jassy shared a letter with staff announcing the company's intent to bring all employees back into the office at least three days a week, starting May 1. Many workers weren't happy about that—at least 30,000 of them (10% of Amazon's...
Thousands More Layoffs
Mar 20, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Amazon Announces Thousands More Layoffs
9K jobs will be cut, bringing 2023 total to 27K
- Amazon plans to eliminate 9,000 more jobs in the next few weeks, CEO Andy Jassy said in a memo to staff on Monday. The job cuts would mark the second largest round of layoffs in the company's history, adding to the 18,000 employees the tech giant said...
Plan to Cut 18K Jobs
Jan 5, 2023 6:23 AM CST
Amazon Confirms Plan to Cut 18K Jobs
That's up from the 10K earlier announced
- Amazon has confirmed that it is planning to lay off more than 18,000 workers—the most of any large tech company, though not as a percentage of employees. After the
Wall Street Journal
reported on the layoffs Wednesday, Amazon CEO Andy Jassy issued a statement . "We typically wait...
That Cute Minnie Outfit
You Bought May Be
Chock-Full of Lead
Dec 3, 2022 9:30 AM CST
That Cute Minnie Outfit You Bought May Be Chock-Full of Lead
Bentex recalls 87K Disney-themed clothing sets sold on Amazon, in TJ Maxx
- A manufacturer of children's apparel has issued a recall of 87,000 Disney-themed outfits due to a risk of lead poisoning. The clothing sets made by Bentex—which feature characters such as Minnie Mouse, Baby Yoda, and Winnie the Pooh—were sold on Amazon and at TJ Maxx and...
Amazon Is First Company to
Lose $1T in Market Value
Nov 10, 2022 6:44 AM CST
Amazon Is First Company to Lose $1T in Market Value
Share price has fallen almost 50% this year
- Just over four years ago, Amazon became the second US company to reach a $1 trillion valuation, weeks after Apple hit the same milestone. The e-commerce giant has now reached a more unwelcome milestone, becoming the first company in the world to
$1 trillion in value, Bloomberg reports. Amazon'...
Links to Film,
Oct 29, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
When Irving Links to Film, Nets Respond
Team denounces promotion of hate speech
- Among the people NBA All-Star Kyrie Irving heard from after a tweet promoting a film widely considered anti-Semitic was his employer. "I'm disappointed that Kyrie appears to support a film based on a book full of anti-Semitic disinformation," Brooklyn Nets owner Joe Tsai tweeted Friday. "I...
Cops Make Horrific Find After
Amazon Van Left Running
Oct 25, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Cops Make Horrific Find After Amazon Van Left Running
Driver was killed in suspected dog attack
- Police in Excelsior Springs, Missouri, say they found a horrific scene Monday evening after neighbors reported that an Amazon delivery van had been parked outside a home for several hours with its engine running. Ray County Sheriff Scott Childers says deputies found a man's body in the yard along...
Amazon Is Doubling Down
on Prime Day
Sep 26, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Amazon Is Doubling Down on Prime Day
There'll be another sale next month, the first time company has had 2 in one calendar year
- If one Amazon Prime Day in 2022 wasn't enough for you, you're in luck: On the heels of its annual summer sale exclusively for Prime members, Amazon is hosting another one next month. The 48-hour preholiday event, called the "Prime Early Access Sale," will take place...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.