Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amazon Is Doubling Down
on Prime Day
Sep 26, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Amazon Is Doubling Down on Prime Day
There'll be another sale next month, the first time company has had 2 in one calendar year
- If one Amazon Prime Day in 2022 wasn't enough for you, you're in luck: On the heels of its annual summer sale exclusively for Prime members, Amazon is hosting another one next month. The 48-hour preholiday event, called the "Prime Early Access Sale," will take place...
Amazon Accuses Company
of 5-Star Review Scam
Aug 10, 2022 4:33 PM CDT
Amazon Accuses Company of 5-Star Review Scam
Website offered packages of up to 100 posts for 6 online stores
- Amazon has gone to court to protect the integrity of its customers' evaluations, suing a Rhode Island company over what it says is a scheme to sell fake 5-star reviews. The lawsuit, filed in King County, Washington, accuses Trey King and his business, AuctionSentinel.com, of posting reviews that "...
Amazon Buys Roomba, Maybe
to Peek 'Inside Your Home'
Aug 5, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Amazon Buys Roomba, Maybe to Peek 'Inside Your Home'
Retail giant gets into the robot vacuum business
- You'll soon have one more thing to be forced to thank Amazon for: a cleaner home. That's because the retail giant is set to buy iRobot Corp., the company that makes Roomba vacuum cleaners, as well as other robotic tidying-up products like mops and lawn mowers. CNBC reports...
Jul 14, 2022 4:26 AM CDT
Amazon Defends Giving Police Ring Footage
In 11 cases, user didn't give permission
- Amazon has provided Ring doorbell footage to law enforcement 11 times this year without the user’s permission, a revelation that’s bound to raise more privacy and civil liberty concerns about its video-sharing agreements with police departments across the country. The disclosure came in a letter from the company...
On This Prime Day, 'Pain
Is Considerable' for Amazon
Jul 12, 2022 5:50 AM CDT
On This Prime Day, 'Pain Is Considerable' for Amazon
One of company's biggest annual events comes amid excess costs, sluggish online sales growth
- Amazon is heading into its annual Prime Day on Tuesday much differently than how it entered the pandemic. The company has long used the two-day event—one of its biggest all year—to lure people to its $139 Prime membership. Amazon doesn't disclose total Prime Day sales, though growth...
Amazon's e-Book Returns
Leave Authors in the Red
Jun 27, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
Amazon's e-Book Returns Leave Authors in the Red
Authors say 'life hack' feels more like theft
- Readers increasingly are using Amazon as a library for e-books, a practice that authors want to put a stop to. It's made possible by Amazon's return policy, which gives buyers seven days to cancel an accidental purchase, NPR reports. So people are reading the book in less than...
Amazon Workers in NYC
Vote to Reject Union
May 2, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
Amazon Workers in NYC Vote to Reject Union
Retail giant fends off 2nd union win
- Amazon warehouse workers rejected a union bid on Monday, dealing a blow to organizers who last month pulled off the first successful US organizing effort in the retail giant’s history. This time around, warehouse workers cast 618 votes—or about 62%—against the union, giving Amazon enough support to...
Amazon's Inflation, Fuel
'Challenges' Lead to a Fee First
Apr 14, 2022 6:38 PM CDT
Amazon's Inflation, Fuel 'Challenges' Lead to a Fee First
Starting April 28, company to tack on 5% surcharge for 3rd-party sellers using fulfillment services
- Everyone's getting hit by the recent inflation surge and rise in gas prices, including some of the biggest retailers in the world—and now the platform's sellers will help Amazon compensate for its own financial hit, via a new 5% fuel and inflation surcharge set to begin April...
Amazon Is Trying to
Overturn Historic Union Win
Apr 9, 2022 10:01 AM CDT
Amazon Is Trying to Overturn Historic Union Win
Company argues actions of union organizers tainted results of vote
- Amazon is seeking to overturn the historic union victory at one of its New York City warehouses, arguing in a legal filing Friday that union organizers and the National Labor Relations Board acted in a way that tainted the results. It now wants to redo the election. The e-commerce giant...
Seattle Pride Boots
Amazon as Parade Sponsor
Mar 24, 2022 1:11 AM CDT
Seattle Pride Boots Amazon as Parade Sponsor
Cites company's donations to anti-LGBTQ politicians, and much more
- Seattle Pride cut ties with Amazon on Tuesday, removing the company as sponsor of its Pride March. "Seattle Pride has decided to not partner with Amazon for the 2022 Seattle Pride Parade because of their financial donations to politicians who actively propose and support anti-LGBTQIA+ legislation, oppose pro-LGBTQIA+ and...
In Cape Town,
Win on 'Obscene'
Mar 21, 2022 6:37 AM CDT
In Cape Town, an Indigenous Win on 'Obscene' Amazon Project
Court temporarily halts retail giant's building of African HQ in Cape Town
- Thousands of years ago, South Africa's earliest dwellers roamed the land. Now, as Amazon tries to build its new African headquarters there, it's facing a battle from Indigenous locals who say the company shouldn't be building on what they say is sacred land—and last week, they...
Amazon Is Closing
68 Brick-and-Mortar Stores
Mar 3, 2022 3:39 AM CST
Amazon Is Closing 68 Brick-and-Mortar Stores
Company is ditching bookstores, 4-star stores
- Amazon is closing all of its brick-and-mortar bookstores, as well as its 4-star shops and pop up locations, as the online retail behemoth reworks its physical footprint. The Seattle-based company said Wednesday that the move, which affects 66 stores in the US and two in the United Kingdom, will enable...
Again, and It's High Tech
Jan 20, 2022 11:42 AM CST
Amazon Goes Brick-and-Mortar Again, and It's High Tech
Doors will open at the Amazon Style apparel store in Glendale, Calif., later this year
- Amazon is the nation's No. 1 apparel retailer , but it has apparently decided that online sales aren't enough. CNBC reports the e-commerce giant will be opening a clothing store (as in one you can actually walk into) in a Los Angeles suburb later this year. Amazon Style will...
Family of Amazon Driver
Killed in Tornado Is Suing
Jan 17, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Family of Amazon Driver Killed in Tornado Is Suing
Father wants to know why Bezos went to space 'but couldn’t make it to Edwardsville'
- The family of one of six Amazon workers killed when a tornado ripped through a warehouse in southern Illinois last month is taking the company to court. The lawsuit filed Monday says contract driver Austin McEwen, 26, and other employees were ordered to keep working at the Edwardsville facility Dec....
Cops Find Thousands
of Undelivered Amazon
Packages in Home
Jan 6, 2022 12:02 PM CST
Cops Find Thousands of Undelivered Amazon Packages in Home
2 delivery drivers have been arrested
- Police in Oklahoma say they have recovered thousands of stolen Amazon packages—and the suspects are delivery drivers, not Blackbeard-level porch pirates. In a Facebook post Wednesday, police in Luther, around 30 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, said three suspects were arrested after a home was searched and thousands of...
Amazon Outage Causes
Big Issues Across the Internet
Dec 7, 2021 5:09 PM CST
Amazon Outage Causes Big Issues Across the Internet
Amazon Web Services started having problems around 11am
- A major Amazon Web Services outage caused issues far beyond Amazon Tuesday. Problems with the cloud computing service's servers caused failures or slowdowns for large parts of the Internet, reports the Verge . Services that reported issues after the outage began around 11am Eastern included Netflix, Disney Plus, Slack, Venmo,...
Protesters Pressure Amazon
With Black Friday Actions
Nov 26, 2021 4:55 PM CST
Protesters Pressure Amazon With Black Friday Actions
Various groups call for treating employees better, paying taxes, cutting emissions
- A coalition of organizations protested at Amazon buildings in the US and Europe on Friday, causing scattered disruptions on one of the company's busiest days. Separately, the environmental group Extinction Rebellion blocked access to distribution centers in the UK, the BBC reports, and said at least 30 of its...
Amazon Again Shifts
on Return to Offices
Oct 11, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Amazon Again Shifts on Return to Offices
Many workers can stay home indefinitely unless they're needed at the office, new policy says
: Amazon told tech and office workers Monday that many of them can keep working from home, a switch from the most recent edict that they'd have to come in at least three days a week starting in January. The new policy will be in effect indefinitely, an internal...
Macy's Sues to Keep Amazon
Off Giant NYC Billboard
Sep 30, 2021 4:11 AM CDT
Macy's Sues to Keep Amazon Off Giant NYC Billboard
Retailer wants to block competitor from taking over space next to flagship store
- Macy's has filed a lawsuit against the company that owns the giant billboard next to its flagship Manhattan store, fighting to prevent Amazon from taking over the advertising space that carried Macy's name for almost 60 years. In the lawsuit, filed last week in state Supreme Court in...
Amazon Is Hiring 40K Tech,
Corporate Workers in US
Sep 1, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
Amazon Is Hiring 40K Tech, Corporate Workers in US
'There are so many people who are thinking about different and new jobs,' Jassy says
- Amazon is going on another hiring spree. The company said Wednesday that it plans to hire 55,000 people around the world, with about 40,000 of those roles in the US, the AP reports. Amazon said all the open roles are for tech jobs and corporate positions. Separately, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.