Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
New York Sues Amazon Over
'Deficient' COVID Response
Feb 17, 2021 6:35 AM CST
New York Sues Amazon Over 'Deficient' COVID Response
Suit filed by AG Letitia James also alleges it retaliated against an NYC worker
- "Amazon's extreme profits and exponential growth rate came at the expense of the lives, health, and safety of its frontline workers." So claims a lawsuit filed against the company by the state of New York, which alleges Amazon both failed to put in place COVID safeguards for...
Jeff Bezos Steps Down at
Amazon Amid Rising Scrutiny
Feb 3, 2021 3:20 AM CST
Jeff Bezos Steps Down at Amazon Amid Rising Scrutiny
Indeed, 'unprecedented' scrutiny in Washington, Politico says
- Jeff Bezos is stepping down as CEO of Amazon.com at a time when controversy is swirling around him. As Politico notes, not only have critics been increasingly questioning Amazon's wages and treatment of its workers—and contrasting those with the massive profits the company is bringing in amid...
Amazon Is Getting a New CEO
Feb 2, 2021 3:25 PM CST
Amazon Is Getting a New CEO
'This isn't about retiring,' Bezos says
- Amazon reported very strong financial results Tuesday—along with the news that CEO Jeff Bezos is stepping down after almost 30 years. Bezos, who founded Amazon in 1994 and turned the firm into an e-shopping juggernaut, become incredibly rich in the process, will transition to executive chair of the company'...
Vaccine Rollout Gets a
New Corporate Volunteer
Jan 21, 2021 12:11 AM CST
Vaccine Rollout Gets a New Corporate Volunteer
Amazon offers to help, also asks for its workers to be prioritized in terms of getting vaccinated
- A popular meme invokes the idea of training Amazon delivery drivers to administer the COVID-19 vaccine in order to roll it out as quickly as possible—and that may turn out to be not far from the truth, as Amazon sent President Biden a letter on Inauguration Day offering to...
Amazon to Judge: Don't
Make Us Reinstate Parler
Jan 13, 2021 3:26 PM CST
Amazon to Judge: Don't Make Us Reinstate Parler
Company says lack of moderation led to 'steady increase' in violent content
- Amazon has asked a federal judge to deny a request to reinstate the cloud-service account for conservative social media network Parler, claiming Parler shrugged off police violence content on its site before and after the insurrection at the US Capitol. Amazon's lawyers made the claim on Tuesday, a day...
Is This the Car of the Future?
Dec 15, 2020 6:57 AM CST
Is This the Car of the Future?
Bezos-owned Zoox reveals self-driving taxi with no steering wheel
- Taxi service could someday look quite different: Zoox, a self-driving startup acquired by Jeff Bezos' Amazon in June, on Monday revealed its autonomous taxi prototype. The robotaxi, which does away with the steering wheel, pedals, and driver's seat entirely, "reimagines the entire premise of a car," per...
During Pandemic, Amazon
Is Hiring. And Hiring
Nov 27, 2020 12:55 PM CST
During Pandemic, Amazon Is Hiring. And Hiring
Pace is unprecedented, putting the company on track to become world's biggest employer
- Walmart once hired 230,000 people in one year. Amazon is making that look like nothing. Through October, the online retailer has added 427,300 employees this year, the
New York Times
reports. "It's hiring like mad," a labor historian at the University of California-Santa Barbara said....
Nov 10, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Online Giant Faces EU Antitrust Charges
Regulators say Amazon uses other companies' data against them
- European Union regulators filed antitrust charges Tuesday against Amazon, accusing the e-commerce giant of using its access to data from companies that sell products on its platform to gain an unfair advantage over them. The charges, filed two years after the bloc's antitrust enforcer began looking into the company,...
Bezos Cashes In $3.1B
in Amazon Shares
Nov 5, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Bezos Cashes In $3.1B in Amazon Shares
Amazon CEO made more than $10B Wednesday
- Jeff Bezos cashed in more than $3 billion in Amazon shares on Monday and Tuesday, bringing the total for the year to $10.2 billion—which is less than what he made on Wednesday. Business Insider reports that the Amazon CEO's net worth jumped around $10.5 billion Wednesday...
Oct 30, 2020 5:25 AM CDT
Apple Reports Record-Breaking Mac Sales
2020 is a banner year for Big Tech
- While many are calling 2020 the "worst year ever," it's becoming the best one on record for big tech companies. Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, and Alphabet, Google's parent company, have all reported record-breaking quarterly sales and/or profits this week, MarketWatch reports. Apple reported record revenue of...
What to Buy, and Not
to Buy on Prime Day
Oct 13, 2020 6:38 AM CDT
What to Buy, and Not to Buy on Prime Day
Also, Apple is expected to unveil its first 5G phones
- Tuesday is a big day for those in the market for a new iPhone, a tech toy, a vacuum, or pretty much any item under the sun. It's not only Amazon Prime Day, but Apple will unveil its new phone lineup. Coverage:
At the company's 1pm ET
Amazon Gives First Data
on Coronavirus Toll
Oct 1, 2020 6:25 PM CDT
Amazon Gives First Data on Coronavirus Toll
Nearly 20K workers contracted the virus, company says
- Under pressure for not releasing its toll sooner, Amazon said Thursday that almost 20,000 of its front-line employees contracted the coronavirus. That's out of about 1.37 million front-line employees of Amazon and Whole Foods Market in the US, CNBC reports—1.44%. The data is for confirmed...
Prime Day Gets a New Date
Sep 28, 2020 3:20 AM CDT
Prime Day Gets a New Date
It's happening October 13-14
- Amazon is aiming to kickstart the holiday shopping season early this year. The company is holding its annual Prime Day over two days in October this year, after the pandemic forced it to postpone the sales event from July, the AP reports. It's the first time Prime Day is...
Everyone's Shopping Online
Now. Amazon Needs Help
Sep 14, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Everyone's Shopping Online Now. Amazon Needs Help
Company plans to hire 100K more workers, which doesn't count upcoming holiday hires
- Amazon has a postponed Prime Day coming up, not to mention the general increase in online shopping seen since the pandemic began—and it needs lots more hands to help with demand. That's why, the company announced Monday, it's hiring an additional 100,000 part-time and full-time workers,...
Amazon Says It Has 33K
Jobs. Average Pay: $150K
Sep 10, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Amazon Says It Has 33K Jobs. Average Pay: $150K
Company is hosting an online 'Career Day'
- Amazon says it wants to help Americans get back to work—and not just in its warehouses. The company is hosting an online Career Day on Sept. 16, and it says it's mobilizing "more than 1,000 experienced recruiters and HR professionals to help job seekers across the...
Seed Mystery Leads Amazon
to Cut Off Foreign Sales in US
Sep 6, 2020 9:09 AM CDT
Seed Mystery Leads Amazon to Cut Off Foreign Sales in US
USDA is analyzing 2.5K of the packets sent to homes
- Until the mystery of the unsolicited seed packets is solved, Amazon is throwing a wrench into the supply chain. Foreign sellers have been told they can no longer ship plant or seed products through its site into the US, the
Wall Street Journal
reports; the packets often have China postmarks....
Why Amazon Drivers Are
Putting Phones in Trees
Sep 2, 2020 2:03 PM CDT
Why Amazon Drivers Are Putting Phones in Trees
Sources say it's an effort to game the Flex app
- In a sign of how cutthroat competition for gig work has become, phones hanging from trees outside Amazon distribution centers and Whole Foods stores have become a common sight in the Chicago suburbs. Sources tell Bloomberg that the "phone trees" are used to game Amazon's system of dispatching...
Aug 31, 2020 5:25 PM CDT
Amazon Drones Win FAA Approval
Certification allows for the next step in testing, with the goal of 30-minute deliveries
- We don't know how customers will feel about having drones buzz past on their way to drop off packages, but Amazon has won an important approval. The Federal Aviation Authority has certified the Prime Air delivery fleet good to go, NBC reports, granting permission for the company's small...
A Big First for Amazon's
Elite Executive 'S-Team'
Aug 22, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
A Big First for Amazon's Elite Executive 'S-Team'
Alicia Boler Davis is the first Black member of the prestigious group that advises Jeff Bezos
- Amazon's prestigious "S-team" (short for "senior team"), a group of execs that advises CEO Jeff Bezos, just achieved a big first. Per Business Insider , three members have been added to the elite group, and one of them is Alicia Boler Davis, who joined the company last...
Court Deals Major
Blow to Amazon
Aug 14, 2020 6:44 AM CDT
Court Deals Major Blow to Amazon
'Consumers across the nation will feel the impact of this'
- Amazon can't shrug off responsibility for defective goods sold on its website by third parties, a California appeals court decided Thursday, dealing a major blow to the e-commerce giant. The California Fourth District Court of Appeals ruled that Amazon can be held liable for damage in a case brought...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
1 Killed, 2 Hurt in Rampage on DC Metro
CDC: Stop Using These Eye Drops
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.