Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kids These Days Have Very
Different Opinions on Booze
in case you missed it
Aug 20, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Kids These Days Have Very Different Opinions on Booze
More than half of millennials, Gen Z now view moderate drinking as harmful, per Gallup poll
- A greater share of Americans than ever before believes drinking in moderation is unhealthy. In a Gallup poll released Thursday, 39% of 1,015 adults across the US surveyed during the month of July say moderate drinking—consuming one to two drinks per day—is bad for one's health,...
Half of Americans Fear
for Their Bank Holdings
May 7, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
Half of Americans Fear for Their Bank Holdings
Experts say there's no reason to fret thanks to FDIC insurance
- Americans appear as worried about their money in banks now as they were during the 2008 financial crisis. Some 48% of US adults are "very" or "moderately" concerned about money held in bank accounts, according to a Gallup poll that was conducted after two banks failed , but before...
Oldest Generation Warms
to LGBTQ Identification
Feb 22, 2023 8:47 AM CST
Oldest Generation Warms to LGBTQ Identification
Slight uptick among those born before 1946, as overall rate among US adults hits 7.2%
- The percentage of Americans who identify as LGBTQ has increased ever so slightly for a new record high, but has ultimately "leveled off," according to Gallup's 2022 polling of more than 10,000 adults. Some 7.2% of Americans identify as non-heterosexual, for a 0.1% increase...
Americans' Predictions for
US in 2023 Aren't Good
Jan 3, 2023 1:23 PM CST
Americans' Predictions for US in 2023 Aren't Good
Majorities expect tax increases, political conflict, more crime: Gallup
- New year, new country? Not the way most Americans see it, according to Gallup . Given the partisan politics and economic struggles of 2022 , a new poll finds Americans are "largely pessimistic" about the state of the US in the coming year. Some 80% expect economic difficulty, with tax increases...
Americans Air Their
Biggest Problems of 2022
Dec 14, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Americans Air Their Biggest Problems of 2022
Government, inflation emerge as top concerns in 2 polls
- The biggest problem facing Americans is nothing new, according to Gallup. An average 19% of respondents chose government as the top problem facing the country in 11 monthly Gallup polls, the company announced Tuesday . That's the seventh time in the past decade that government has come out on top,...
Supreme Court Returns With
Historically Low Approval Rating
Oct 2, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Supreme Court Returns With Historically Low Approval Rating
Expect 'a lot of 6-3s,' one analyst says
- Supreme Court justices never have to run for reelection, or even reconfirmation, which works out for them—especially these days: Public approval of the court has plunged to historic lows, a new poll shows. The share of Americans who say they have at least a "fair amount" of trust...
In Our Recreational
Choice, a Big First
Aug 30, 2022 10:24 AM CDT
In Our Recreational Substances of Choice, a Big First
11% of US adults tell Gallup they smoke cigarettes; pot smokers surpass that for first time, with 16%
- In the mid-1950s, nearly half of US adults copped to smoking cigarettes. After decades of PSAs and warnings from the medical community on the dangers of smoking, it's probably not surprising that that figure has plummeted to just 11%—and it's now been surpassed by Americans who say...
Gallup Finally Has Some
Good News for Biden
Aug 26, 2022 2:32 PM CDT
Gallup Finally Has Some Good News for Biden
His approval rating hits the lofty heights of 44%
- While President Biden remains an unpopular president—his approval rating in recent months has been even lower than that of his historically unpopular predecessor, according to FiveThirtyEight —polls show that he's received a boost from recent successes. According to the latest Gallup poll, Biden's approval rating is...
Gallup: US Belief
in God Hits a New Low
Jun 17, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
Gallup: US Belief in God Hits a New Low
It's dropped by 6% over the last 5 years
- The last five years has apparently taken a big toll on Americans' belief in God—especially among the young, the liberal, and Democrats. Gallup says that in its latest poll , a new low of 81% of Americans said they believed in God, down from 87% in 2017 and from a...
Biden's Approval Ratings
Keep Getting Lower
Oct 7, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Biden's Approval Ratings Keep Getting Lower
Quinnipiac's latest numbers give him 38% overall
President Biden's approval rating as released by Gallup in September wasn't so hot, and now Quinnipiac University is out with even worse numbers. It puts Biden's approval rating at 38%, down 4 points from mid-September. As with Gallup,
reports independents are among the drivers...
Poll: Americans' Optimism
Fades as Delta Spreads
Aug 3, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Poll: Americans' Optimism Fades as Delta Spreads
Even a month ago, the public felt better about the pandemic
- In June, 89% of Americans polled saw the COVID-19 outbreak as improving, with just 3% saying it was worsening. That was before the delta variant of the coronavirus made itself felt. In July, the Gallup Poll reports, more adults expressed pessimism than optimism about the pandemic—45% to 40%. It'...
Agree on This
Jul 28, 2021 8:32 AM CDT
Republicans and Democrats Agree on This
They view the Supreme Court evenly, and not especially well
- Just 49% of Americans approve of the performance of the Supreme Court, down from 58%—a 10-year high— a year ago . That's according to a Gallup poll conducted from July 6 to 21 and released Wednesday. It brings the court's first approval rating below 50% since 2017, per...
US Church Membership
Hits Record Low
Mar 29, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
US Church Membership Hits Record Low
Gallup says rate has fallen below 50% for the first time
- If you're an American who belongs to a church, synagogue, or mosque, you're now in a minority, according to a new Gallup poll . Gallup says church membership has fallen below 50% to a record low of 47%, largely due to a corresponding increase in the proportion of people...
New LGBTQ Survey Shows
a Slow but Steady Uptick
Feb 24, 2021 8:55 AM CST
New LGBTQ Survey Shows a Slow but Steady Uptick
Gallup poll finds 5.6% of American adults identify as LGBTQ, a 1 percentage point rise from 2017
- About 5.6% of American adults place themselves under the LGBTQ umbrella—a record number, per the latest Gallup poll . That's up one full percentage point from the last Gallup survey on the topic using 2017 data, which saw 4.5% of adult Americans identifying as LGBTQ. The poll,...
Jan 19, 2021 6:44 AM CST
Trump's Final Approval Rating: A 'Personal Low Note'
President is leaving with a 34% approval rating
- As he gets ready to head out of the Oval Office and back to life as a private citizen, President Trump just received his final report card—and Gallup notes he's leaving "on a personal low note." In a survey of 1,023 random American adults taken...
One Trump, One Obama Take
Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Dec 29, 2020 11:23 AM CST
One Trump, One Obama Take Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Donald Trump ends Barack Obama's 12-year winning streak, while Michelle Obama wins top spot for women
- Donald Trump didn't beat Joe Biden in the election, but he can notch a win against Barack Obama. In its annual survey on the matter, Gallup pollsters asked 1,000 or so American adults to name, without being given choices, a man and a woman they most admire anywhere...
Is in Decline: Poll
May 15, 2020 4:35 PM CDT
Social Distancing Is in Decline: Poll
Percentage of Americans mostly isolating themselves falls 17 points
- Most Americans practice social distancing when they leave the house—and they're heading out more often now—but far fewer say they follow the guidelines than did a couple of weeks ago. A Gallup Poll released Friday showed a drop of 17 percentage points since late March,
A Huge Number
of Americans Are
Satisfied With Their
Feb 6, 2020 3:33 PM CST
A Huge Number of Americans Are Satisfied With Their Personal Lives
90%, a record high
- It's a record: 90% of Americans are satisfied with how their personal lives are going, the highest number in the four decades Gallup has been asking the question. The previous high was 88% in 2003; the record low is 73% in 1979, amid the oil crisis. In another record...
Feb 4, 2020 11:25 AM CST
On Trump's Approval Rating, a Historic Gap
He's at an all-time Gallup high of 49%, but an 87-point gap exists between Dems, Republicans
- President Trump just got something to crow about from Gallup : The polling agency puts his approval rating at 49%, the highest since he took office. The key seems to be rising support among Republicans and independents. Trump has a 94% approval rating among Republicans, up 6 points from last month,...
One Part of the World
Is Pretty Positive
Apr 26, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
One Part of the World Is Pretty Positive
Gallup poll: Latin American nations tend to have less negativity
- Feeling angry, worried, and stressed? So is the rest of the world, though some areas are more prone to those feelings than others. That's per Gallup's "Global Emotions" report , cited by the BBC , which surveyed 151,000 people in more than 140 countries to gauge their negative...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.