Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: After Shooting
Grandson, Man Finished
Oct 5, 2023 4:53 AM CDT
Cops: After Shooting Grandson, Man Finished Officiating Wedding
Texas man faces charges in Nebraska incident
- A Texas man decided to start off the wedding he was officiating "with a bang," a deputy says, and that bang allegedly left the man's own grandson with a gunshot wound and the man facing criminal charges. Michael Gardner, 62, shot a revolver into the air to...
Woman Gets Prison for Giving
Abortion Pills to Her Daughter
Sep 22, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Woman Gets Prison for Giving Abortion Pills to Her Daughter
Case has been part of the Nebraska debate on restrictions
- A Nebraska mother who pleaded guilty to giving her teenage daughter pills for an abortion and helping to burn and conceal the fetus was sentenced Friday to two years in prison. Jessica Burgess, 42, pleaded guilty in July to tampering with human remains, false reporting, and providing an abortion after...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 16, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Utah takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, West Virginia is last
- In some states, happiness seems to come more easily. WalletHub analyzed various environmental factors to see which US states boast more contented surroundings, examining 30 metrics in three main categories: emotional and physical well-being, including such factors as the share of adults with depression or alcohol use disorder, life expectancy,...
This Is Now the Most
Famous Bull in America
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 4, 2023 9:13 AM CDT
This Is Now the Most Famous Bull in America
Nebraska man pulled over with a giant bovine in passenger seat of specialized car
- You might think this is what traffic stops are like in Nebraska, but even the police in this one were bamboozled. "We didn't have a full understanding of it until we saw it," says Chad Reiman, police captain in the city of Norfolk. "It" was a...
Aug 31, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Critics Call Governor's New 'Common Sense' Order 'Ridiculous'
Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen's order narrowly defines 'male' and 'female,' angering trans advocates
- This week, a second governor put his name to an executive order that more rigidly defines an individual's sex, in what he deems a boost to women's rights and what critics say is an attack on the transgender community. The AP reports that Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen signed...
Give a High-Five to Our
Aug 28, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Give a High-Five to Our Hardest-Working State
North Dakota comes in at No. 1 on WalletHub's rankings, while New Mexico brings up the rear
- Compared to workers in other countries, Americans are known for balking at taking too much vacation time, either because their employer doesn't offer that many paid days off or because workers feel they can't miss too many days without negative repercussions. The positive side of that coin is...
Aug 23, 2023 2:06 AM CDT
1-Year-Old Forgotten in Daycare Van Dies: Cops
Van driver has been charged in little girl's death
- A 1-year-old Nebraska girl was picked up along with two of her siblings for daycare Monday, but never made it back home. Police say Ra'Miyah Worthington was left inside the van after it arrived at Kidz of the Future Child Development Center II in Omaha, and was found there...
Nebraska Teen Gets 90
Days in Jail Over Abortion
Jul 21, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Nebraska Teen Gets 90 Days in Jail Over Abortion
Prosecutors say mom helped her daughter end pregnancy at 24 weeks' gestation
- Celeste Burgess, the Nebraska teen who was charged after authorities said she and her mother conspired to terminate her 24-week gestation pregnancy with abortion pills last year, was on Thursday sentenced to 90 days in jail and two years of probation. Burgess, now 19, had pleaded guilty to illegally concealing...
Dig Begins to Find Buried
Native American Children
Jul 10, 2023 12:27 PM CDT
Dig Begins to Find Buried Native American Children
Archaeologists are seeking lost cemetery on grounds of ex-boarding school in Nebraska
- Bodies of dozens of children who died at a Native American boarding school have been lost for decades, a mystery that archaeologists aim to unravel as they begin digging in a central Nebraska field that a century ago was part of the sprawling campus. Crews toting shovels, trowels, and even...
Man Falls Into Manhole, Is
Swept a Mile Through Sewers
Jul 8, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Man Falls Into Manhole, Is Swept a Mile Through Sewers
'Amazing' that he lived through it, city official says after rescue in Omaha, Nebraska
- Firefighters rescued two Nebraska men who fell into a manhole during heavy rain in downtown Omaha on Friday, including one who was washed about a mile through sewer pipes before getting trapped behind a metal grate, per the AP . The men, who were workers for a private contractor, Ace Pipe...
a Bride and
Within an Hour
Jun 23, 2023 12:43 PM CDT
She Became a Bride and a Widow Within an Hour
Nebraska groom suffers fatal blood clot after leaving Omaha church
- Johnnie Mae had suffered two recent losses, including that of her father, when she stood in front of friends and family and committed to the love of her life on Monday. But within the hour, her groom was dead, too. As Mae and new husband Toraze Davis of Omaha, Nebraska,...
GOP Pol Slams Own
Leader for 'Taking Us
Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Apr 29, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
GOP Pol Slams Own Leader for 'Taking Us Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Abortion bans in red states of South Carolina, Nebraska fall short in votes
- Abortion bans in Nebraska and South Carolina fell short of advancing in close votes amid heated debates among Republicans, confounding conservatives who've dominated both legislatures and further exposing the chasm on the issue of abortion within the GOP. In Nebraska, where abortion is banned after 20 weeks of pregnancy,...
'I Can't Say
Mar 11, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Waiter to Jason Derulo: 'I Can't Say Thank You Enough'
Singer tipped Omaha server Jordan Schaffer $5K, which he says will cover whole semester of college
- Servers in Nebraska—or anywhere, really—aren't accustomed to getting $5,000 tips from customers. But one waiter in Omaha received just that, and he's a got a big name to thank for it.
reports that Jordan Schaffer was working tables at Charleston's Restaurant last week...
2 Men Hunted,
Killed Bald Eagle
Mar 5, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Nebraska Cops: 2 Men Hunted, Killed Bald Eagle
Deputies say Honduran nationals may not have realized it was illegal
- A pair of 20-year-olds in Nebraska face hefty fines and possible prison time after authorities say they hunted and killed a bald eagle. The wrinkle in this case is that both men are Honduran nationals who speak no English, and it's possible they had no idea the bird was...
A Vital Mineral Deposit
Could Bring Big Change
to Nebraska Village
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2023 7:55 AM CST
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
Elk Creek residents know a lot about niobium
- Niobium may not be a familiar word to many Americans, but most people in the southeast Nebraska village of Elk Creek can speak fluently about the strategic metal, which has applications including strengthening steel, the
New York Times
reports. The area is the proposed site of a mine for niobium...
'Sheer Panic' in
Jan 31, 2023 5:43 PM CST
Gunman Causes 'Sheer Panic' in Target Store
Suspect was shot dead by Omaha police
- A man with an AR-15-style rifle opened fire inside a Target store in Omaha, sending panicked shoppers and employees scrambling for safety before he was fatally shot by police Tuesday afternoon, authorities said. Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said the man had "plenty of ammunition" and that evidence suggests he...
for 16 Minutes
Jan 18, 2023 2:10 PM CST
Troopers Chase 13-Year-Old Driver for 16 Minutes
She is in protective custody along with 11-year-old passenger
- Nebraska police spent 16 minutes in hot pursuit of a driver on Monday night and, upon stopping the car, found a firearm, some marijuana, and drug paraphernalia inside—and a 13-year-old girl at the wheel. The Nebraska State Patrol said in a news release that it initially spotted a Nissan...
Calls for Help
Oct 3, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
Police haven't determined what caused accident in Lincoln, Nebraska
- A passenger's cellphone automatically alerted responders after a car hit a tree early Sunday in a Nebraska crash that killed all six of the vehicle's young occupants, authorities said. Five men in the Honda Accord died at the scene of the crash around 2:15am in Lincoln, about...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
In Nebraska, Canal Water
Mysteriously Goes Missing
Aug 26, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
In Nebraska, Canal Water Mysteriously Goes Missing
Someone opened a dam on an irrigation channel one night this month
- Authorities in Nebraska are trying to determine who released 16 million gallons of water by opening a dam on an irrigation channel one night this month—and why. The puzzling water release from the Cambridge Canal reduced the flow to some 18,000 acres of crops and jeopardized expensive irrigation...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.