Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Customs and Border Protection
Stories 1 - 20 |
New US Strategy Focuses
on Fentanyl Supply Chain
Oct 26, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
New US Strategy Focuses on Fentanyl Supply Chain
Postal Service, carriers will help monitor chemicals, presses used to make pills
- As overdose deaths continue at a record pace, US Customs and Border Protection announced a new government-wide strategy Thursday involving scores of agencies that will target the precursor materials used by traffickers to make fentanyl and other synthetic drugs. Under the plan, CBP will work with the Postal Service and...
Border Officials Spot
This Bug for the First Time
Feb 20, 2023 10:10 AM CST
Border Officials Spot This Bug for the First Time
Insect 'corimelaena palmeri' was in a shipment of flowers from Mexico
- US border officials intercepted an unwanted visitor at the border—a bug never before seen in this country. Customs inspectors spotted the insect corimelaena palmeri in a shipment of cut flowers from Mexico, reports CNN . A news release from US Customs and Border Protection says inspectors at the Otay Mesa...
Feds Say Cross-Border
Egg-Smuggling Has Soared
Jan 22, 2023 1:45 PM CST
Feds Say Cross-Border Egg-Smuggling Has Soared
'My advice is, don’t bring them over,' CBP official says
- Eggs are much cheaper in Mexico but anybody caught trying to bring them across the border could have to shell out a lot of money, officials say. American egg prices were up 60% year-on-year in December due to factors including avian flu, making Mexican eggs an appealing prospect for residents...
Hidden Cocaine Hindered
Nov 19, 2022 12:50 PM CST
Hidden Cocaine Hindered Wheelchair: Agents
JFK passenger's wheels weren't turning, agency says
- Something seemed to be keeping the wheels on an arriving passenger's wheelchair from turning, Customs agents noticed at Kennedy Airport in New York. So they X-rayed the wheelchair and reported they found the problem: 28 pounds of cocaine stuffed into the wheels, ABC7 reports. The stash has a street...
50 Wheels of Undeclared
Cheese Cost NM Woman
Sep 13, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
50 Wheels of Undeclared Cheese Cost NM Woman
She was fined $1K after trying to enter Texas from Mexico
- Officers with Customs and Border Protection say they stopped a woman hiding contraband under a blanket in her SUV as she tried to cross the Texas border from Mexico earlier this month. But it wasn't drugs, or even weapons—though it may have been sharp: It was 50 wheels...
All These Snakes Were
Under and in a Man's Clothes
Mar 9, 2022 2:20 PM CST
All These Snakes Were Under and in a Man's Clothes
30-year-old US citizen was arrested at the California-Mexico border
- A man who tried to slither past US border agents in California had 52 lizards and snakes hidden in his clothing, authorities said Tuesday. The man was driving a truck when he arrived at the San Ysidro border crossing with Mexico on Feb. 25 and was pulled out for additional...
Dec 13, 2021 5:44 PM CST
Anti-Terrorism Database Was Used Against Journalists
Federal watchdog finds unit called up records of congressional staff members, as well
- A special Customs and Border Protection unit used sensitive government databases intended to track terrorists to investigate as many as 20 US-based journalists, including a Pulitzer Prize-winning AP reporter, according to a federal watchdog. Yahoo News, which published an extensive report on the investigation, also found that the unit, the...
He Saw No Violence
Sep 24, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
After Outcry, Photographer Says He Saw No Violence
Biden joins outcry at mounted agents' conduct, promising consequences
- The people who have responded with horror to images of Border Patrol agents on horseback appearing to corral Haitian immigrants at the Rio Grande include the US president and vice president. Some of the photos seem to show agents using whips, KTSM reports. But that's not quite what the...
White House Calls Apparent
Use of Whips at Border 'Horrific'
Sep 20, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
White House Calls Apparent Use of Whips at Border 'Horrific'
Border Patrol says matter is being looked into
- White House press secretary Jen Psaki says that images of federal agents apparently using whips on Haitian migrants at the border are "obviously horrific" and that the administration is trying to learn more about what happened. "I don't have the full context. I can't imagine what...
'One of Most Damaging Snails'
Seized at Houston Airport
Jul 22, 2021 5:00 AM CDT
'One of Most Damaging Snails' Seized at Houston Airport
Passenger had 15 live giant land snails
- Some 15 snails that can grow to be the size of small dogs were seized from a passenger's luggage in Houston earlier this month, officials say. The banana rasp snails, also known as giant land snails, were found in the luggage of a passenger traveling from Nigeria, CBS reports....
ICE Deportations Hit
Lowest Point on Record
May 5, 2021 5:57 PM CDT
ICE Deportations Hit Lowest Point on Record
Biden administration emphasizes catching criminals
- Although illegal crossings into the US are still at elevated levels, Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported fewer people in April than in any month on record. According to preliminary figures, 2,962 immigrants were deported last month, a 20% drop from March. It was the first time the monthly total...
More Than 3K Migrant Kids
Crowded Into Texas Facility
Mar 30, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
More Than 3K Migrant Kids Crowded Into Texas Facility
Biden administration finally allows journalists into detention facility for children
- The Biden administration for the first time Tuesday allowed journalists inside its main border detention facility for migrant children, revealing a severely overcrowded tent structure where more than 4,000 people, including children and families, were crammed into a space intended for 250 and the youngest were kept in a...
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande
With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
Mar 27, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Mom Tries to Cross Rio Grande With Kids, 9-Year-Old Dies
BP agents were able to resuscitate migrant mother, 3-year-old, but girl didn't regain consciousness
- Tragedy has struck a mother from Guatemala trying to make her way into the US with her two children, both Mexican nationals.
reports that on March 20, US Border Patrol agents received a rescue call after bystanders saw three people stranded on an island on the Mexican side of...
Border Officials: Let's Use
That 'Heat Ray' on Migrants
Aug 26, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
Border Officials: Let's Use That 'Heat Ray' on Migrants
Back in 2018, Kirstjen Nielsen nixed it right away
- Right before the 2018 midterms, a Homeland Security meeting gave birth to an extreme idea: zapping border migrants with a "heat ray" to make them feel like their skin was burning, former officials tell the
New York Times
. Customs and Border Protection officials apparently suggested it to Homeland Security...
Portland Mayor to Trump:
This Is 'an Absolute Abuse'
Jul 18, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Portland Mayor to Trump: This Is 'an Absolute Abuse'
Words are flying after federal agents scooped up protesters in Oregon
- Portland's mayor threw down the gauntlet Friday after federal agents—some wearing camouflage in unmarked minivans—were seen grabbing people off the streets, the AP reports. "Keep your troops in your own buildings, or have them leave our city," Mayor Ted Wheeler said at a press conference...
Border Wall Section
Topples Into Mexico
Jan 30, 2020 6:01 AM CST
Border Wall Section Topples Into Mexico
Officials cite wet concrete, high winds
- A newly installed section of border wall toppled over onto the Mexican side amid high winds Wednesday. Steel barriers had been erected between Mexicali and Calexico, Calif., but a concrete base had not yet cured when the 30-foot-high panels fell onto trees lining a parallel street, reports the
CBP Takes 7-Year-Old Into
Custody. She Had Only Hours
Dec 14, 2019 11:00 AM CST
CBP Takes 7-Year-Old Into Custody. She Had Only Hours
Seems she hadn't eaten or drunk water for days
- A 7-year-old migrant girl died after the Border Patrol took her into custody last week—which is likely to increase scrutiny of CBP facilities as families pour over the southwest border in record numbers, the
reports. The girl, still unidentified, was apprehended with her father and 161 others...
Feds: Detained Brits
Deliberately Crossed Border
Oct 17, 2019 4:57 AM CDT
Feds: Detained Brits Deliberately Crossed Border
2 of them had previously been denied entry to the US
- American authorities are disputing the account of a British couple who say they were taken into custody after accidentally crossing into the US from Canada. Customs and Border Protection's Northwest Division released a video Wednesday that it says shows the couple "slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch"...
Journalist: CBP Officer Held
My Passport Until I Said 'Yes'
Oct 5, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Journalist: CBP Officer Held My Passport Until I Said 'Yes'
Ben Watson says it happened at Dulles International Airport
- "You write propaganda, right?" That's what a Customs and Border Protection official apparently asked a journalist while keeping a tight grip on his passport, the
reports. Ben Watson, the news editor at Defense One, says it happened during a seemingly ordinary border check Thursday at Virginia'...
Trump Contradicts Official on
Bahamians' Travel Documents
Sep 9, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Trump Contradicts Official on Bahamians' Travel Documents
President wants to keep out 'some very bad people'
- Anyone in the Bahamas whose life is in danger is "going to be allowed to come to the United States, whether you have travel documents or not." On the other hand, "Everybody needs totally proper documentation." The first statement came Monday from the acting head of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.