Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
a Very Rare Late Withdrawal
Jul 7, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
At Wimbledon, a Very Rare Late Withdrawal
Rafael Nadal bows out before semifinal because of injury
- Nick Kyrgios just advanced to his first Wimbledon finals, without picking up his racket. His would-be semifinal opponent, Rafael Nadal, announced Thursday that he was dropping out because of a torn abdominal muscle, reports ESPN . The AP notes that it's the first time since 1931 that a male player...
for 14th Time
Jun 5, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Nadal Takes French Open for 14th Time
36-year-old who first won tournament at 19 becomes its oldest champion
- Rafael Nadal long has been considered a bad bet to be winning a Grand Slam title at age 36. A Bleacher Report piece predicted that, with his body apparently breaking down quickly, he'd won his last—in 2012. He once hurt his knee while sitting in a hotel room...
French Open Semis
Don't Follow Script
Jun 3, 2022 5:02 PM CDT
French Open Semis Don't Follow Script
Climate change demonstrator breaches court during men's match, and Nadal's opponent has to retire
- A climate activist wearing a T-shirt with the message "We have 1028 days left" interrupted the French Open men's semifinal Friday between Marin Cilic and Casper Ruud by attaching herself to the net and kneeling on the court. Play was delayed for more than 10 minutes with Ruud...
May 1, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Tennis Stars Disagree With Wimbledon on Barring Russians
Nadal, Djokovic say it's unfair to blame athletes for war in Ukraine
- Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic criticized Wimbledon's decision to exclude Russian and Belarus players from this year's tournament following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The two tennis greats made the statements Sunday, the AP reports. "I think it's very unfair of (on) my Russian tennis mates,...
In 5 Hours and 24 Minutes,
Nadal Does the Extraordinary
Jan 30, 2022 8:39 AM CST
In 5 Hours and 24 Minutes, Nadal Does the Extraordinary
He broke the men's record for most Grand Slam singles titles with 21st win
- Rafael Nadal got to 21 first, breaking the men's record for most Grand Slam singles titles and doing it the hard way by coming back from two sets down to beat Daniil Medvedev in an almost 5 1/2-hour Australian Open final that didn't finish until the early hours...
Djokovic Has Been Deported
Jan 16, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Djokovic Has Been Deported From Australia
Courts affirmed right to boot unvaccinated tennis star
- Instead of starting the defense of his Australian Open title on Monday, Novak Djokovic was on his way home, a stunning and unprecedented end to his run of success at Melbourne Park. Djokovic has won nine of his 20 Grand Slam trophies at the Australian Open—including three in a...
Amid Aussie Mess, Djokovic
Has a Message for Fans
Jan 7, 2022 12:09 PM CST
Amid Aussie Mess, Djokovic Has a Message for Fans
Serbian tennis star is feeling the love as he tries to clear up visa/vaccine hubbub before Australian Open
- Novak Djokovic still isn't revealing whether he's been vaccinated, but he's now speaking out to family and fans supporting him as he's caught up in a visa commotion Down Under. The Serbian tennis star, who was denied entry to Australia this week ahead of the Australian...
Federer, Nadal Atop
Grand Slam List
Jul 11, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Djokovic Joins Federer, Nadal Atop Grand Slam List
34-year-old bounces back for 4-set Wimbledon victory
- Novak Djokovic tied Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal by claiming his 20th Grand Slam title Sunday, coming back to beat Matteo Berrettini 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 in the Wimbledon final. The No. 1-ranked Djokovic earned a third consecutive championship at the All England Club and sixth overall, the AP...
on French Clay
Oct 11, 2020 11:26 AM CDT
Nadal Ties Record With Stunning Win on French Clay
The Spaniard crushes Novak Djokovic in straight sets
- Rafael Nadal tied Roger Federer with 20 Grand Slam titles by producing a nearly perfect performance against Novak Djokovic in the French Open final, the AP reports. Nadal equaled long-time rival Federer for the most major singles tennis championships won by a man and added to his own record at...
Will Skip US Open
Aug 4, 2020 4:42 PM CDT
Defending Champ Will Skip US Open
'The situation is very complicated worldwide,' Rafael Nadal says
- Defending champion Rafael Nadal will skip the US Open because of the coronavirus pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English on Tuesday. "The situation...
Rafael Nadal Wins
Sep 9, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
Rafael Nadal Wins 'Unforgettable' Final
Win over Daniil Medvedev didn't come easy
- Rafael Nadal's 19th Grand Slam trophy went from inevitable to suddenly in doubt in a thrill-a-minute US Open final. What had all the makings of a casual crowning morphed into a grueling contest thanks to Nadal's opponent, Daniil Medvedev, a man a decade younger and appearing in his...
For the 12th Time, Nadal
Lifts the French Open Trophy
Jun 9, 2019 12:04 PM CDT
For the 12th Time, Nadal Lifts the French Open Trophy
Champion dropped a set but recovered
- Rafael Nadal pulled away in what had suddenly become a tight final to beat Dominic Thiem 6-3, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1, on Sunday for his record-extending 12th French Open championship. It raises Nadal's Grand Slam title count to 18; Roger Federer has 20. Thiem made it seem as if this...
a Legend at Aussie Open
Jan 27, 2019 7:57 AM CST
Djokovic Embarrasses a Legend at Aussie Open
Rafael Nadal loses final to relentless Djokovic, who marches to his 7th tournament title
- Novak Djokovic was so good, so relentless, so pretty much perfect, that Rafael Nadal never stood a chance. Djokovic reduced one of the greats of the game to merely another outclassed opponent—just a guy, really—and one so out of sorts that Nadal even whiffed on one of his...
at French Open
Jun 10, 2018 11:38 AM CDT
'Scared' Nadal Beats Thiem at French Open
The Spaniard claims his 17th Grand Slam title
- Rafael Nadal won his record-extending 11th championship at the French Open on Sunday, overcoming a late problem with a finger on his racket-swinging hand and displaying his foe-rattling best for a 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 victory over No. 7 seed Dominic Thiem, the only person to beat the Spaniard on clay...
US Open Final
Sep 11, 2017 12:04 AM CDT
Nadal Dominates US Open Final
He beats Anderson for 16th Grand Slam final
- Rafael Nadal against Kevin Anderson in the US Open final shaped up as quite a mismatch—and that's exactly what it was. His game at a high level at the end of an unusually easy path through a Grand Slam field, Nadal overwhelmed first-time major finalist Anderson 6-3, 6-3,...
Nadal Is Out
Jul 10, 2017 5:03 PM CDT
In Upset, Nadal Is Out at Wimbledon
Rafael Nadal loses to 16th-seeded Giles Muller
- First, Rafael Nadal erased a two-set deficit. Then, he erased four match points. Nadal could not, however, erase the fifth. After digging himself out of difficult situations over and over during the course of a riveting encounter that lasted more than 4½ hours, Nadal suddenly faltered, getting broken in the...
Rafael Nadal Just Did What
No Other Player Has Done
Jun 11, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
Rafael Nadal Just Did What No Other Player Has Done
He won his 10th French Open, the most wins at any major tournament
- Rafael Nadal won his record 10th French Open title Sunday, beating No. 3 Stan Wawrinka in straight sets as he continued his career-long dominance on clay courts. That he won his 10th French Open is no small stat, notes the AP : That is more than any man or woman has...
Federer Ekes Out
18th Grand Slam
Jan 29, 2017 6:28 AM CST
Federer Ekes Out 18th Grand Slam
It's a hard-fought, emotional victory over Nadal at Australian Open
- Roger Federer has won his 18th major title by beating Rafael Nadal 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 to capture the Australian Open, reports the AP . Federer was down a break early in the pivotal fifth set, but came back to break the Spaniard in the sixth game to level the...
Jul 1, 2014 1:33 PM CDT
144th-Ranked Aussie Stuns Rafael Nadal
Nick Kyrgios, who? Dumps No. 1 in first Wimbledon
- Two-time champion Rafael Nadal lost in the fourth round of Wimbledon to 19-year-old Nick Kyrgios of Australia 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3 today. The 144th-ranked Kyrgios, a wild-card entry, hit 37 aces and delivered a between-the-legs winner on one point. He is the first man to get to the...
Jun 8, 2014 12:02 PM CDT
Nadal Wins Steamy 9th French Open
Sends Novak Djokovic packing after shaky first set
- Rafael Nadal won the French Open title for the ninth time, and the fifth time in a row, by beating Novak Djokovic 3-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-4 today in the final. Nadal improved his record at Roland Garros to 66-1, and stretched his winning streak at the clay-court major to 35...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.