Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Airline, Jet Maker Cleared of
Criminal Charges in Big Trial
Apr 17, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
Airline, Jet Maker Cleared of Criminal Charges in Big Trial
Air France, Airbus were accused of manslaughter in 2009 crash of passenger jet
- A French court on Monday acquitted Airbus and Air France of manslaughter charges over the 2009 crash of Flight 447 from Rio to Paris, which killed 228 people and led to lasting changes in aircraft safety measures. Sobs broke out in the courtroom as the presiding judge read out the...
As Trial Begins on Fatal
Flight 447, a Big First in France
Oct 10, 2022 6:54 AM CDT
As Trial Begins on Fatal Flight 447, a Big First in France
Air France and Airbus are first French companies to face trial there after a plane crash
- Thirteen years after Air France Flight 447 plunged into the Atlantic Ocean during its journey from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, a nine-week manslaughter trial is finally beginning. Reuters reports that the trial starting Monday in the French capital is the first time that companies in that nation have faced...
Air France Suspends
2 Pilots for 'Totally
Aug 28, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Air France Suspends 2 Pilots for 'Totally Inappropriate' Behavior
They allegedly came to blows in cockpit during Airbus flight to Geneva
- Air France says two pilots have been suspended while management decides what to do about their "totally inappropriate behavior" on a flight in mid-June. The airline confirmed the suspensions after
reported that the captain and co-pilot brawled in the cockpit of an Airbus A320 flight from Paris...
NYC-Paris Flight Involved
in 'Serious Incident'
Apr 7, 2022 12:32 AM CDT
NYC-Paris Flight Involved in 'Serious Incident'
France aviation safety bureau is investigating
- A "serious incident' involving an Air France flight from New York to Paris is under investigation by French aviation safety investigators. On final approach to Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport on Tuesday, "the airplane was just kind of out of control," the pilot can be heard telling...
Here Are the World's
Sep 28, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Here Are the World's Best Airlines
Qatar Airways takes the top spot
- It's been a "less than regular" year for aviation, per CNN Travel , but there's definitely been more travel this year than last. For its annual airlines ranking, Skytrax did something a little different: Its customer survey, which asked about the performance and quality of more than 350...
Court: Air France to Stand Trial
Over Its Deadliest-Ever Crash
May 12, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Court: Air France to Stand Trial Over Its Deadliest-Ever Crash
But it has vowed to appeal to France's highest court
- A French court on Wednesday ordered Air France and plane maker Airbus to stand trial for involuntary manslaughter in the 2009 crash into the Atlantic Ocean of a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, which killed all 228 people aboard—the deadliest crash Air France has ever suffered, per...
Tragedy Unfolds in
Jan 8, 2020 2:22 PM CST
Tragedy Unfolds in Plane's Undercarriage
Child stowaway found dead in Paris
- Air France says "the lifeless body of a stowaway," believed to be a child, was discovered in the landing gear of a plane that arrived in Paris from the Ivory Coast early Wednesday. The body—said to be that of a boy of African origin around the age...
Think You've Had a Bad Flight
Delay? Talk to These Folks
Nov 15, 2018 10:40 AM CST
Think You've Had a Bad Flight Delay? Talk to These Folks
Passengers on an Air France flight to Shanghai got stuck in Siberia for 3 days
- Bad: your flight making an emergency landing due to smoke in the cabin. Worse: being holed up for three days in a place that wasn't your original destination. Worst of all: that place being one of the farthest reaches of Russia. That was the plight of nearly 300 passengers...
Failed Air France Engine
Found in Icy Wasteland
Oct 6, 2017 12:45 AM CDT
Failed Air France Engine Found in Icy Wasteland
Airbus A380's engine exploded midflight
- The remains of an engine from an Air France Airbus A380 have been recovered from an icy desert in Greenland—and investigators hope the parts will provide clues to an "incredibly rare" midflight engine explosion last weekend. France's BEA air accident agency says the flight's data recorder...
A Bang, a Drop,
Then an Emergency
Landing in Canada
Oct 1, 2017 11:15 AM CDT
A Bang, a Drop, Then an Emergency Landing in Canada
Engine on Air France flight explodes midair; plane lands safely in Labrador
- Air France Flight AF066 from Paris to Los Angeles on Saturday had been going smoothly, but that all changed more than five hours into the journey, when passengers heard a loud bang, then felt the plane shake and drop before cruising back up. The cause: One of the Airbus A380'...
New Airline Is
Sep 26, 2017 10:40 AM CDT
New Airline Is Apparently for 'Stereotypical Millennials'
Organic juice, VR among Joon's perks
- A new airline is boasting of virtual reality headsets and vitamin-enriched fruit juices aboard its flights in an effort to appeal to millennials—or rather "the stereotypical millennial," notes Mashable . Air France has launched the airline Joon, which will begin offering cheap European flights in December and longer...
No Way We're
Apr 3, 2016 2:06 PM CDT
Flight Attendants: No Way We're Wearing Headscarves
Air France attendants refuse order for Iran flights
- Female flight attendants on Air France aren't too thrilled with being told to wear headscarves when they disembark in Tehran, the
reports. Their union is opposing the order, slated to kick in April 17, when the airline resumes flights to Iran's capital after an eight-year hiatus. "...
Forced Air France
Jet to Land
Dec 20, 2015 9:34 AM CST
Fake Bomb Forced Air France Jet to Land
Jet makes emergency landing in Kenya after suspicious item found in bathroom
- The suspicious device discovered in the bathroom of an Air France flight was a hoax, the CEO of Air France said Sunday. The Boeing 777 was heading to Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris from Mauritius when its pilots requested an emergency landing early Sunday at Kenya's coastal city...
2 Air France Flights
Diverted After Threats
Nov 18, 2015 12:03 AM CST
2 Air France Flights Diverted After Threats
They were en route to France from 2 US airports
- Two Air France flights bound for Paris from the US had to be diverted Tuesday night because of anonymous threats received after they had taken off, but both planes landed safely in North America, officials say. One plane, Air France Flight 65 from Los Angeles International Airport to Charles de...
Lufthansa, Air France Reroute
Flights After Egypt Crash
Oct 31, 2015 2:48 PM CDT
Lufthansa, Air France Reroute Flights After Egypt Crash
Airlines say they'll avoid Sinai Peninsula until they know why Russian plan crashed
- Lufthansa and Air France will be diverting flights around the Sinai Peninsula until they know why a Russian passenger plane crashed there Saturday , Reuters reports. "We took the decision to avoid the area because the situation and the reasons for the crash were not clear," a Lufthansa spokesperson...
Rips Shirts Off
Air France Execs
Oct 5, 2015 1:27 PM CDT
Angry Mob Rips Shirts Off Air France Execs
Had to scale fence to escape protesters
- Air France executives had their shirts ripped off and had to scale an eight-foot fence to escape an angry mob that stormed a meeting at company headquarters. The airline said that 2,900 jobs would likely be cut as part of a savings plan announced Monday, and workers stormed the...
Inside 30 Suitcases on
Plane: 1.3 Tons of Cocaine
Sep 22, 2013 3:22 PM CDT
Inside 30 Suitcases on Plane: 1.3 Tons of Cocaine
Paris seizure made on Air France flight from Venezuela
- There's a joke about "high flying" in here somewhere: Cops at Paris Charles de Gaulle airport have found 1.3 tons of pure cocaine on an Air France jet. The coke was packed inside 30 suitcases on a flight from Venezuela, and had a street value of about...
Airline Fined for Kicking
Non-Jewish Flyer Off Plane
Apr 6, 2013 3:10 PM CDT
Airline Fined for Kicking Non-Jewish Flyer Off Plane
Pro-Palestinian activist was removed for having no Israeli passport
- A French court has fined Air France nearly $13,000 for removing a pro-Palestinian activist from a flight headed for Tel Aviv, Israel, UPI reports. The airline was also ordered to pay about $3,900 to the passenger, 30-year-old Horia Ankour, who was trying to attend a "Welcome to...
Air France Crew to Fliers:
Could You Chip in for Gas?
Aug 17, 2012 9:28 AM CDT
Air France Crew to Fliers: Could You Chip in for Gas?
Air France plane makes unscheduled Syria landing
- Travel nightmare No. 1: Your flight out of Paris makes an unscheduled stop in the volatile capital of ... Syria. And No. 2: Your crew asks passengers to help cover the cost of refueling. That's what happened to Air France Flight 562 on Wednesday, when tensions near its destination—the...
Air France Flight
Jul 5, 2012 9:15 AM CDT
Human Error Took Down Air France Flight
Pilots never realized plane was in stall, says final report
- Today hasn't been the most praiseworthy day for mankind. On the heels of a report that Fukushima was a man-made disaster comes the final report on Air France's 2009 crash, and it cites human error as well. Investigators list a combination of "human and technical factors" as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.