Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amazon Is Doubling Down
on Prime Day
Sep 26, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Amazon Is Doubling Down on Prime Day
There'll be another sale next month, the first time company has had 2 in one calendar year
- If one Amazon Prime Day in 2022 wasn't enough for you, you're in luck: On the heels of its annual summer sale exclusively for Prime members, Amazon is hosting another one next month. The 48-hour preholiday event, called the "Prime Early Access Sale," will take place...
Agency: Don't Buy Amazon's
Male-to-Male Extension Cord
Sep 17, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
Agency: Don't Buy Amazon's Male-to-Male Extension Cord
Electrocution is just one possible outcome of its use
- Some user reviews call them "suicide cords," and while the US Consumer Product Safety Commission didn't go that far, it did make clear this week that a certain electrical cord sold by Amazon is a bad and dangerous idea. Just don't buy it, the agency announced....
Rings of Power
Sep 7, 2022 3:02 AM CDT
Gaiman Mocks Musk After He Knocks
Rings of Power
Tesla CEO not a fan, Gaiman doesn't care
Lord of the Rings
The Rings of Power
is doing well for Amazon, having been viewed by more than 25 million on its debut day on Prime Video last week —a record high for an Amazon original. But don't count Elon Musk among the show's fans....
Amazon Buys Roomba, Maybe
to Peek 'Inside Your Home'
Aug 5, 2022 2:26 PM CDT
Amazon Buys Roomba, Maybe to Peek 'Inside Your Home'
Retail giant gets into the robot vacuum business
- You'll soon have one more thing to be forced to thank Amazon for: a cleaner home. That's because the retail giant is set to buy iRobot Corp., the company that makes Roomba vacuum cleaners, as well as other robotic tidying-up products like mops and lawn mowers. CNBC reports...
Jul 14, 2022 4:26 AM CDT
Amazon Defends Giving Police Ring Footage
In 11 cases, user didn't give permission
- Amazon has provided Ring doorbell footage to law enforcement 11 times this year without the user’s permission, a revelation that’s bound to raise more privacy and civil liberty concerns about its video-sharing agreements with police departments across the country. The disclosure came in a letter from the company...
On This Prime Day, 'Pain
Is Considerable' for Amazon
Jul 12, 2022 5:50 AM CDT
On This Prime Day, 'Pain Is Considerable' for Amazon
One of company's biggest annual events comes amid excess costs, sluggish online sales growth
- Amazon is heading into its annual Prime Day on Tuesday much differently than how it entered the pandemic. The company has long used the two-day event—one of its biggest all year—to lure people to its $139 Prime membership. Amazon doesn't disclose total Prime Day sales, though growth...
Amazon's Staff Turnover Rate
May No Longer Be Sustainable
Jun 22, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Amazon's Staff Turnover Rate May No Longer Be Sustainable
Internal memo reveals fears of exhausting available US labor pool by 2024
- With its sky-high staff turnover rate, Amazon fears it could run out of US workers by 2024, an anxiety that could force higher wages or increased automation. That's according to leaked internal research from mid-2021 as seen by Recode . "If we continue business as usual, Amazon will deplete...
Amazon Rolls Out
May 4, 2022 5:52 AM CDT
Amazon Rolls Out Abortion-Travel Benefit
Benefit applies to those who need to travel more than 100 miles
- On the same day that a Supreme Court opinion was leaked, suggesting
Roe v. Wade
may be overturned , Amazon told staff that it would pay up to $4,000 in travel expenses annually for abortion and other non-life threatening medical treatments. In a Monday memo obtained by Reuters , Amazon said...
Amazon Workers in NYC
Vote to Reject Union
May 2, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
Amazon Workers in NYC Vote to Reject Union
Retail giant fends off 2nd union win
- Amazon warehouse workers rejected a union bid on Monday, dealing a blow to organizers who last month pulled off the first successful US organizing effort in the retail giant’s history. This time around, warehouse workers cast 618 votes—or about 62%—against the union, giving Amazon enough support to...
Amazon Loses Nearly $4B
Apr 28, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Amazon Loses Nearly $4B
Shares fall 10% after quarterly results
- Amazon on Thursday reported its first quarterly net loss since 2015: $3.8 billion in the three months ended March 31, after posting a profit of $8.1 billion in the same period last year. Analysts surveyed by Refinitiv had expected a profit of $4.4 billion, CNN reports. Amazon...
OK for Climbable
Apr 23, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Amazon Receives OK for Climbable Office Tower
Building across river from DC will rival Washington Monument on area's skyline
: Amazon won local approval Saturday to build a helix-shaped tower to anchor its second headquarters in Virginia, across the Potomac River from Washington, DC. The vote by the Arlington County Board was unanimous, the AP reports. Board Chair Katie Cristol had said officials sought feedback from residents and worked...
Barnes & Noble
Become a Good Guy
in case you missed it
Apr 23, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Barnes & Noble Has, Improbably, Become a Good Guy
The 'New York Times' looks at the chain's much-improved reputation
- Barnes & Noble is like a phoenix rising from the ashes—its sales, yes, but more than that, its reputation. Once derided as an independent bookstore killer, the
New York Times
takes a look at how the chain is regarded these days: as crucial. A key line from Elizabeth A....
Judge to Amazon:
Hire Back Fired Worker
Apr 19, 2022 3:23 PM CDT
Judge to Amazon: Hire Back Fired Worker
Judge expresses skepticism about Amazon's true motives in Staten Island case
- A judge has ruled Amazon must reinstate a former warehouse employee who was fired in 2020, saying the company “unlawfully” terminated the worker who led a protest calling for Amazon to do more to protect employees against COVID-19, per the AP . In June 2020, and Gerald Bryson filed a...
Amazon Is Trying to
Overturn Historic Union Win
Apr 9, 2022 10:01 AM CDT
Amazon Is Trying to Overturn Historic Union Win
Company argues actions of union organizers tainted results of vote
- Amazon is seeking to overturn the historic union victory at one of its New York City warehouses, arguing in a legal filing Friday that union organizers and the National Labor Relations Board acted in a way that tainted the results. It now wants to redo the election. The e-commerce giant...
Words Amazon Workers
May Not Be Able to Say in App
Apr 5, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Words Amazon Workers May Not Be Able to Say in App
Including 'union' and 'restroom,' per the Intercept
- The Intercept reports that Amazon is working on a chat app designed to be used by its employees with the goal of boosting morale. That in itself is pretty humdrum stuff. But the reason the story is generating attention is because the Intercept also says Amazon plans to make some...
In a First, Amazon Workers
Vote to Unionize
Apr 1, 2022 11:41 AM CDT
In a First, Amazon Workers Vote to Unionize
Warehouse employees in Staten Island prevail against the retail giant
- Amazon workers in Staten Island voted to unionize on Friday, marking the first successful US organizing effort in the retail giant’s history, per the AP . Votes were still being tabulated, but union supporters secured a wide enough margin to give the fledgling Amazon Labor Union enough support to pull...
Mar 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Tim Cook Just Dunked on Netflix, Amazon
Oscar win for his platform's 'CODA' gives him bragging rights ahead of older rivals
won the Oscar for best picture on Sunday, it handed a huge victory to Tim Cook and his Apple+ streaming platform. After all, Cook "triumphed just two and a half years after formally entering the film and TV business," writes Matthew Belloni at Puck . He trumped...
Seattle Pride Boots
Amazon as Parade Sponsor
Mar 24, 2022 1:11 AM CDT
Seattle Pride Boots Amazon as Parade Sponsor
Cites company's donations to anti-LGBTQ politicians, and much more
- Seattle Pride cut ties with Amazon on Tuesday, removing the company as sponsor of its Pride March. "Seattle Pride has decided to not partner with Amazon for the 2022 Seattle Pride Parade because of their financial donations to politicians who actively propose and support anti-LGBTQIA+ legislation, oppose pro-LGBTQIA+ and...
In Cape Town,
Win on 'Obscene'
Mar 21, 2022 6:37 AM CDT
In Cape Town, an Indigenous Win on 'Obscene' Amazon Project
Court temporarily halts retail giant's building of African HQ in Cape Town
- Thousands of years ago, South Africa's earliest dwellers roamed the land. Now, as Amazon tries to build its new African headquarters there, it's facing a battle from Indigenous locals who say the company shouldn't be building on what they say is sacred land—and last week, they...
Amazon Is Closing
68 Brick-and-Mortar Stores
Mar 3, 2022 3:39 AM CST
Amazon Is Closing 68 Brick-and-Mortar Stores
Company is ditching bookstores, 4-star stores
- Amazon is closing all of its brick-and-mortar bookstores, as well as its 4-star shops and pop up locations, as the online retail behemoth reworks its physical footprint. The Seattle-based company said Wednesday that the move, which affects 66 stores in the US and two in the United Kingdom, will enable...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
Trump Sues CNN for $475M
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.