Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: Amazon Is Now the
Biggest US Delivery Business
Nov 27, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Report: Amazon Is Now the Biggest US Delivery Business
'WSJ' reports online giant has moved ahead of UPS, FedEx
- Almost a decade after its efforts to build its own delivery network were mocked by rivals FedEx and UPS, Amazon has surpassed them both to become America's biggest delivery business, according to the
Wall Street Journal.
citing "internal Amazon data and people familiar with the matter,...
Amazon Stays Tough as Nails
on Return to Office Mandate
Nov 17, 2023 10:59 AM CST
Amazon Stays Tough as Nails on Return to Office Mandate
Company says workers who don't comply may lose out on promotions
- Amazon has been fairly unyielding with its return-to-office mandate, and a new report from CNBC indicates that stance isn't softening. Per posts on the company's internal site viewed by CNBC, staffers who don't work from the office at least three days a week—as they have been...
Could Soon Fall
Out of the Sky
Oct 18, 2023 5:28 PM CDT
Your Prescriptions Could Soon Fall Out of the Sky
Amazon is testing 1-hour drone deliveries for meds in College Station, Texas
- Amazon will soon make prescription drugs fall from the sky when the e-commerce giant becomes the latest company to test drone deliveries for medications. The company said Wednesday that customers in College Station, Texas, can now get prescriptions delivered by a drone within an hour of placing their order, reports...
Her Academic Paper Set
Stage for Epic Amazon Fight
Sep 26, 2023 12:41 PM CDT
Her Academic Paper Set Stage for Epic Amazon Fight
FTC chief Lina Khan is going after Jeff Bezos' company as a monopoly
- The feds and 17 states are going after Amazon in a long-anticipated legal fight that could take years to play out. And for Federal Trade Commission chief Lina Khan, the fight is a long time coming. As the
New York Times
notes, she first came to national attention as a...
Amazon Prime Caves,
Will Run Ads on Films, Shows
Sep 22, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Amazon Prime Caves, Will Run Ads on Films, Shows
Prime members who don't want such interruptions can fork over an extra $2.99 per month
- Amazon Prime Video will include advertising during shows and movies starting early next year, joining other streaming services that have added different tiers of subscriptions. Members of Amazon Prime can pay $2.99 per month in the US to keep their service ad-free, the company said Friday, per the AP...
Amazon Driver Dropped
the Box. The Snake Struck
Sep 20, 2023 11:41 AM CDT
Amazon Driver Dropped the Box. The Snake Struck
She was bitten on the back of her leg while delivering a package
- An Amazon driver encountered something worse than a porch pirate on Monday. As Monet Robinson was delivering a package to a home in Palm City, Florida, she was bitten in the back of her leg, just above the knee, by an eastern diamondback rattlesnake that had been coiled by the...
Author Discovers AI Fakes
Selling Under Her Name
Aug 13, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Author Discovers AI Fakes Selling Under Her Name
Jane Friedman says Amazon removed them, but only after a public fight
- The dawn of easy self-publishing has been great for select independent authors, but colliding with the explosion of AI-aided (and AI-created) writing has resulted in a new set of problems—like the one encountered by author Jane Friedman, when she learned there were several books on Amazon under her name...
to Bottom of
in a Unique Way
Aug 4, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
Amazon Delivers to Bottom of Grand Canyon, in a Unique Way
Company can't use its vans to reach workers at Phantom Ranch, but mules do the trick
- You may be accustomed to seeing those ubiquitous dark-blue vans with the Amazon logo puttering around your town, especially around the holidays when package deliveries are at a peak. In the northwest corner of Arizona, however, a different mode of transport is employed: mules, saddled up with sealed boxes as...
Amazon Gives Remote Workers
a Choice. One Option Is to Move
Jul 23, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
Amazon Gives Remote Workers a Choice. One Option Is to Move
Company wants some employees to relocate near a large office
- In an escalation of the tension between Amazon and its remote workers over returning to the office, the company has told some employees they'll have to move. Amazon wants more of them working in one of the main offices in large cities, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, including Seattle,...
Amazon: This Prime Day
Was Our Biggest Yet
Jul 13, 2023 1:12 PM CDT
Amazon: This Prime Day Was Our Biggest Yet
Company doesn't reveal numbers, but it appears that online shopping was way up in general
- Amazon said Thursday it had its biggest Prime day event ever this year. The e-commerce company, as in past years, did not reveal how much money it earned during the two-day sales event, which took place on Tuesday and Wednesday and offered a plethora of deals on electronics, home goods,...
FTC: 'Manipulative' Amazon
Tricked Millions Into Prime
Jun 21, 2023 1:49 PM CDT
FTC: 'Manipulative' Amazon Tricked Millions Into Prime
Company 'knowingly complicated the cancellation process,' to boot, agency says
- The FTC isn't letting up on Amazon , alleging in a new lawsuit that the world's largest online retailer knowingly tricked "millions of consumers" into signing up for its paid Prime service, then made them jump through hoops in order to cancel . The company "trapped people into...
Bernie Sanders Launches
Investigation Into Amazon
Jun 21, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Launches Investigation Into Amazon
Senator is probing working conditions at the e-commerce giant
- Bernie Sanders announced Tuesday that the Senate committee he chairs has launched a probe into working conditions at Amazon's warehouses. The senator said the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, or HELP, will be looking into why Amazon is "one of the most dangerous places" to work...
40 Days After Crash, a Stunning
Find: 'The Jungle Saved Them'
Jun 10, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
40 Days After Crash, a Stunning Find: 'The Jungle Saved Them'
4 Indigenous children, one a baby, survived in the Amazon on their own after plane went down
- Four Indigenous children survived an Amazon plane crash that killed three adults and then wandered on their own in the jungle for 40 days before being found alive by Colombian soldiers. The announcement of their rescue on Friday brought a happy ending to a saga that had captivated many Colombians,...
Amazon Plans Ad Tier
for Prime Video
Jun 8, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Amazon Plans Ad Tier for Prime Video
Sources say discussions are in early stages
- Netflix got one, Disney+ got one, and now it looks like it's Prime Video's turn. Amazon is reportedly planning an ad-supported tier of its streaming service. Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
discussions are in the early stages and could still be set aside. But advertisers are definitely...
These Companies Just Made
Fortune 500's Top 10
Jun 6, 2023 4:26 PM CDT
These Companies Just Made Fortune 500's Top 10
Walmart takes top spot in annual ranking of largest US firms
has released its annual Fortune 500 rankings, its 69th version of the list of the country's largest corporations, based on revenue for 2022's fiscal year. Per a release , a company had to bring in $7.2 billion to be included, a jump of 13% from last...
Amazon Fined $25M
in Child Privacy Case
Jun 1, 2023 4:21 AM CDT
Amazon Fined $25M in Child Privacy Case
Company also has to pay refunds over Ring privacy issues
- Amazon agreed Wednesday to pay a $25 million civil penalty to settle Federal Trade Commission allegations it violated a child privacy law and deceived parents by keeping for years kids' voice and location data recorded by its popular Alexa voice assistant. Separately, the company agreed to pay $5.8 million...
Ordering at Panera?
Put Up Your Palm
Apr 1, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Ordering at Panera? Put Up Your Palm
Critics say chain's plan to use biometrics payment system could lead to privacy issues
- Soon, paying at Panera Bread will be as easy as holding up your hand. That's because the bakery-cafe chain will be rolling out a palm-reading payment system over the next few months, expediting transactions but raising concerns among privacy advocates. NPR reports that the biometrics technology it plans on...
Amazon Driver Walked Right
Through a Police Standoff
Mar 28, 2023 4:44 PM CDT
Amazon Driver Walked Right Through a Police Standoff
Viral video shows driver walking right by cops to make a delivery
- One Amazon delivery driver was apparently so hellbent on doing his job that he walked through a police standoff in North Carolina, reports the
. The scene unfolded in Cary, North Carolina, when the driver showed up last month and strode past several police cars and cops to make his...
Amazon Rebuffs Pleas From
30K Workers to Stay Remote
Mar 24, 2023 2:32 PM CDT
Amazon Rebuffs Pleas From 30K Workers to Stay Remote
HR chief says that, despite petition, return-to-office plan will continue as planned, starting May 1
- Last month, Amazon CEO Andy Jassy shared a letter with staff announcing the company's intent to bring all employees back into the office at least three days a week, starting May 1. Many workers weren't happy about that—at least 30,000 of them (10% of Amazon's...
Thousands More Layoffs
Mar 20, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Amazon Announces Thousands More Layoffs
9K jobs will be cut, bringing 2023 total to 27K
- Amazon plans to eliminate 9,000 more jobs in the next few weeks, CEO Andy Jassy said in a memo to staff on Monday. The job cuts would mark the second largest round of layoffs in the company's history, adding to the 18,000 employees the tech giant said...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.