Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Maine's Lobster Industry
Is Up in Claws
Mar 15, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Maine's Lobster Industry Is Up in Claws
Sues a California aquarium for recommending that consumers avoid lobster due to harm to whales
- A coalition representing the Maine lobster industry is suing an aquarium on the other side of the country for recommending that seafood customers avoid buying a variety of lobster mostly harvested in their state, reports the AP . Industry groups including the Maine Lobstermen's Association are suing the Monterey Bay...
'Chaos' as 82-Foot-Tall
1.5K Fish Explodes
Dec 16, 2022 6:38 AM CST
'Chaos' as 82-Foot-Tall Aquarium With 1.5K Fish Explodes
2 people injured by glass shards in Berlin; all fish presumed dead
- The world's largest freestanding cylindrical aquarium, which held 1,500 tropical fish and more than 264,000 gallons of water, burst Friday. Berlin's 82-foot-tall AquaDom, in the lobby of the Radisson Blu hotel, sent a huge rush of sea water and fish through the hotel and out into...
That Colorful Aquarium Masks
a Sometimes Dark Trade
Oct 23, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
That Colorful Aquarium Masks a Sometimes Dark Trade
Experts say demand for fish is contributing to degradation of delicate coral ecosystems
- Millions of saltwater fish of all shades and shapes are caught in Indonesia and other countries every year to fill ever more elaborate aquariums in living rooms, waiting rooms, and restaurants around the world. "It's just so much fun to just watch the antics between different varieties of...
Dolphin Attacks Trainer During
Show at Miami Seaquarium
Apr 13, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Dolphin Attacks Trainer During Show at Miami Seaquarium
Seaquarium determined the dolphin had accidentally been scratched
- The Miami Seaquarium's Dolphin Flipper Show didn't go to plan on Saturday: a dolphin reportedly attacked a trainer in the water mid-show. Audience member Shannon Carpenter videoed the incident and tells WSVN what he saw: It "looked like the dolphin rammed into the trainer. There was a...
Pet Company Yanks This
Jan 30, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Pet Company Yanks This Controversial Product
French firm AgroBiothers Laboratoire says putting goldfish in small round fishbowls is abuse
- If your kids have ever won a goldfish at a local fair, you probably didn't go out and buy a huge tank, but instead purchased a tiny fishbowl that you could place almost anywhere in your home. Bad idea, some experts say, and now one pet care company won'...
This 90-Year-Old Fish
Likes Belly Rubs
Jan 27, 2022 2:09 PM CST
This 90-Year-Old Fish Likes Belly Rubs
Australian lungfish Methuselah is believed to be world's oldest aquarium fish
- Meet Methuselah, the fish that likes to eat fresh figs, get belly rubs, and is believed to be the oldest living aquarium fish in the world. In the Bible, Methuselah was Noah's grandfather and was said to have lived to be 969 years old. Methuselah the fish isn't...
Animal Activists Lose Battle As
Whales Arrive to Aquarium
May 16, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Animal Activists Lose Battle As Whales Arrive to Aquarium
Five Belugas made a day-long trek from Canada to Connecticut
- Five Beluga whales have arrived at their new home in a Connecticut aquarium after a years-long legal battle to import them and two others from Canada. The first three animals were flown from Ontario to Connecticut on Friday, per the AP . They arrived in Mystic on three tractor-trailers, where they...
In Pet Shops Across America,
an 'Incredibly Destructive' Find
Mar 12, 2021 12:35 PM CST
In Pet Shops Across America, an 'Incredibly Destructive' Find
Invasive zebra mussels have turned up in moss balls, an aquarium accessories, in 21 states
- They're as small as a fingernail, but the damage that zebra mussels can cause belies their tiny size. That's why the feds are concerned that the invasive, quickly multiplying mollusks have been popping up in pet stores across the US, specifically in ornamental moss balls used as decor...
Same-Sex Penguins Have
Their Own Baby Chick
Aug 26, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
Same-Sex Penguins Have Their Own Baby Chick
Electra and Viola are now parents
- Meet Electra and Viola: The female penguin couple is making headlines after welcoming a newly hatched chick to the world, CBS News reports. Seems they adopted an egg from other penguins—really, it was given to them—and incubated and hatched it as their own. According to NBC News , the...
Guy Who Swam in Store
Aquarium Has Fishy Excuse
Jun 29, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
Guy Who Swam in Store Aquarium Has Fishy Excuse
Kevin Wise says he didn't want to lie to TikTok fans
- A man arrested for jumping in the fish tank at a Bass Pro Shop in Louisiana says he was doing it for the sake of integrity. The 26-year-old says he promised his followers on TikTok—where several others have carried out the "Bass Pro Challenge"—that he would...
Its Eels Are
May 1, 2020 7:03 AM CDT
Aquarium's Problem: Its Eels Are Forgetting People Exist
An 'unprecedented situation' in Tokyo
- A Japanese aquarium has an "urgent request" for locals who can't stop by for a visit due to the coronavirus shutdown: It wants them to partake in a "face-showing festival" instead and call in for a video chat with its spotted garden eels, for whom the presence...
At Closed Aquarium,
Penguins Take a Stroll
Mar 17, 2020 7:57 AM CDT
At Closed Aquarium, Penguins Take a Stroll
With humans barred, Chicago's Shedd Aquarium lets them wander
- Chicago's Shedd Aquarium has provided a rare bright spot amid the coronavirus news: Video of penguins strolling around the joint, reports CNN . The museum is closed to the public for the near future, so the penguins' caretakers let them go on what they called a "field trip" to...
Electric Eel Keeps
Christmas Tree Lit
Dec 5, 2019 8:42 AM CST
Electric Eel Keeps This Aquarium's Christmas Tree Lit
Miguel Wattson is providing the juice for seasonal lights at the Tennessee Aquarium
- Visitors to the Tennessee Aquarium may be shocked to learn that an electric eel named Miguel Wattson is lighting up a Christmas tree, per the AP . A special system connected to Miguel's tank enables his shocks to power strands of lights on a nearby tree, according to a news...
A Marine Park Was Abandoned
in January. Its Animals Remain
Aug 31, 2018 9:09 AM CDT
A Marine Park Was Abandoned in January. Its Animals Remain
Photos of dolphin, penguins spark public outcry at Japan's Inubosaki Marine Park Aquarium
- A solitary bottlenose dolphin swims in a small pool enclosed by a rusty railing. Not far away, dust-covered penguins wander over chunks of concrete and other debris. This has been life at Japan's Inubosaki Marine Park Aquarium since January when its owner abandoned it, citing a decline in visitors....
Man Admits Stealing Shark,
Insists It 'Needed Help'
Aug 2, 2018 12:09 PM CDT
Man Admits Stealing Shark, Insists It 'Needed Help'
Anthony Shannon previously 'inspected' aquarium under guise
- Anthony Shannon says he knows it was "wrong" to steal an aquarium's shark, carted off in a baby stroller over the weekend, but the 38-year-old insists it was "an emergency." In an interview with KENS-TV , the self-described marine activist who keeps five sharks and dozens of...
They Fled the Aquarium With a
Stroller. There Was No Baby
Jul 31, 2018 9:45 AM CDT
They Fled the Aquarium With a Stroller. There Was No Baby
Man charged with theft of horn shark in San Antonio; 2 others expected to be charged
- A juvenile horn shark is back in its tank at the San Antonio Aquarium after three people whisked it away in a baby stroller. "When we first got the call, we thought it was kind of a hoax being that it was Shark Week last week," Leon Valley...
An Octopus Birth,
Then a Surprise
Burst of Color
Feb 12, 2018 9:40 AM CST
An Octopus Birth, Then a Surprise Burst of Color
Video by Virginia Aquarium viewed 2.4M times
- It happens almost in the blink of an eye. A colorless creature pops from a bundle of eggs, turns a brownish-purple hue, and swims away. It's a rare sight now witnessed by millions, thanks to the Virginia Aquarium, which shared a video of the Caribbean reef octopus's birth...
Coral-Filled Tanks Are
Gorgeous, Have a Dark Side
Aug 6, 2017 1:40 PM CDT
Coral-Filled Tanks Are Gorgeous, Have a Dark Side
If certain zoanthid corals are present, that is
- Home aquariums used to pretty much be for fish only. That changed with the advent of LED lights, which allow hobbyists to replicate a tropical sun indoors—without boiling the water in the tank. And so a new industry boomed: A subset of aquarium hobbyists—often called "reefers"—...
Force Aquarium to
Leave 10K Animals
Nov 29, 2016 6:32 AM CST
'Apocalypse': Tenn. Wildfires Force Aquarium to Leave 10K Animals
Flames threaten Ripley's, Dollywood as much-needed rain finally falls
- One of at least 14 wildfires raging in Gatlinburg, Tenn., is threatening thousands of animals at Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies. Flames engulfed at least 30 buildings in the area late Monday—including a 16-story hotel outside the Dollywood theme park in Pigeon Forge—leading aquarium employees to be...
Oct 5, 2016 6:56 AM CDT
Stingray Kills Aquarium Worker
Philip Chan, 62, was helping transfer Singapore sea creatures to new homes
- In what police are calling the first death of its kind in Singapore, a longtime professional diver was killed by a stingray Tuesday at a shuttered aquarium, the BBC and Reuters report. Philip Chan, 62, who'd worked at Underwater World since it opened its doors in 1991, was the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.