Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Does James Like to Be Called
Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Aug 11, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Does James Like to Be Called Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Some districts now want parental OK before using nicknames, alternate names for trans students
- A new school year has kicked off in many spots in the South, and two counties in Florida are already making waves for a correspondence that's been delivered to educators and parents. WESH reports that Seminole County sent an email to families this week noting that if their kids...
Having a Baby
Aug 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Having a Baby Soon? One State Outranks the Others
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- If your future plans include starting a family and you're open to a move (or wondering whether your current location is ideal), WalletHub has some insights. The site looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia, not only on the issue of costs tied to having a...
After Biden Chat
Jul 13, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Gershkovich's Parents 'Optimistic' After Biden Chat
President says he's 'serious on a prisoner exchange' for detained 'WSJ' reporter in Russia
- President Biden on Thursday said he's serious about pursuing a prisoner exchange for Evan Gershkovich, a
Wall Street Journal
reporter who has been detained in Russia for more than 100 days, per the AP . The Kremlin earlier this month suggested that it was open to a possible prisoner exchange...
Little League Has
for Unruly Parents
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
This Town's Little League Has 'Ingenious' Plan for Unruly Parents
In Deptford, New Jersey, abusive spectators will have to take on umpire duties or be banned
- If you've ever attended a children's sporting event, you've likely witnessed a select few parents who get a little too much into the game, becoming agitated from the sidelines and even berating the refs or umpires. One New Jersey town has come up with a solution for...
Mom Still Pay Your
You're in Good Company
Feb 3, 2023 12:59 PM CST
Mom Still Pay Your Rent, Millennials? You're in Good Company
New survey finds 40% of this demographic have at least one bill paid for by parents
- If you're a 30-something whose parents are still making your car payments or slipping you some cash for your internet bill, you're definitely not alone. In fact, two-fifths of millennials—the demographic currently between the ages of 26 and 41 or so—say mom and dad are ponying...
Chilly Outdoor Getaway
Proves Fatal for 3 Parents
Dec 29, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Chilly Outdoor Getaway Proves Fatal for 3 Parents
The 3 fell through the ice while on a frozen lake in Arizona
- Three families living in a Phoenix suburb drove north the day after Christmas to spend time outdoors; it proved fatal for three of the parents. CBS News reports that while in Forest Lakes, Arizona, three of the parents—a married couple and a dad—decided to venture onto the frozen...
Demise of Bankman-Fried
Is Dragging Down Parents, Too
Dec 13, 2022 11:13 AM CST
Demise of Bankman-Fried Is Dragging Down Parents, Too
Joseph Bankman and Barbara Fried taught for years at Stanford Law
- The last month has brought a stunning reversal of fortune for 30-year-old Sam Bankman-Fried . And as the
New York Times
Wall Street Journal
report, his renowned parents are very much caught up in the downward spiral. SBF, of course, is the former CEO of the collapsed crypto exchange...
Court Hears Case of Woman
Stabbed 20 Times in 'Suicide'
Nov 17, 2022 1:30 AM CST
Court Hears Case of Woman Stabbed 20 Times in 'Suicide'
Ellen Greenberg's parents may soon take their case to trial
- After more than a decade fighting the Philadelphia medical examiner's office on their daughter's cause of death, lawyers for Ellen Greenberg's parents made their case in front of a Pennsylvania appeals court Tuesday. "We are cautiously optimistic that the panel will find the estate of Ellen...
Consequence for Kids
Sep 7, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Researchers Reveal 'Devastating' COVID Consequence for Kids
It's estimated that 10.5M children lost parent, caregiver to disease during pandemic
- Last year, numbers emerged showing an estimated 5.2 million children had lost a parent or caregiver to COVID through October. Now, a "heartbreaking" update on that toll, per a new global study that finds almost 8 million kids 18 and under were left grieving one or both parents...
Ukrainian Parents Are Doing
This to Their Kids, Just in Case
Apr 12, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Ukrainian Parents Are Doing This to Their Kids, Just in Case
They write ID, contact info on their kids' bodies in case parents are separated from them or killed
- As stories of unimaginable horror continue to emerge out of Ukraine, another story is also being told, via scribblings on the nation's children. Last week, Anastasiia Lapatina, a journalist with the Kyiv Independent media outlet, posted a photo of a toddler, naked save for the diaper she was wearing,...
Final Text Revealed From
Family Who Died on Trail
Feb 19, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Final Text Revealed From Family Who Died on Trail
From Jonathan Gerrish's phone: 'can you help us. ... No water or ver [over] heating with baby'
More is now known about the final hours of a California family who perished on a hike near Yosemite over the summer, thanks to dad Jonathan Gerrish's cellphone, reports CNN . Per the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office , some of the last things that Gerrish, wife Ellen Chung, and...
Prosecutors to Crumbleys:
Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Feb 3, 2022 9:01 AM CST
Prosecutors to Crumbleys: Stop Blowing Kisses in Court
Parents of accused school shooter Ethan Crumbley are told to stop broadcasting romantic signals
- The parents of the teen accused of shooting up a Michigan high school in November, killing four students, may be trying to boost each other up during hearings by sending romantic signals across the courtroom and over Zoom, but they're now being hit with a warning to quit it....
Couple Whose Kids Died
in Flood Hear Their Fate
Jan 28, 2022 1:37 PM CST
Couple Whose Kids Died in Flood Hear Their Fate
Daniel Rawlings, who drove around barricade near swollen Arizona creek, and wife get probation
The parents of two children killed after the father drove their military-style vehicle around a barricade and straight into a flooded creek in Arizona won't be serving jail time.
reports that Judge Timothy Wright sentenced Daniel Rawlings to 60 months of supervised probation and 1,000 hours...
Over Face Masks
Lead to Charges
Jan 22, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Amelia King at Thursday school board meeting in Va.: 'I will bring every single gun loaded'
- A Virginia mom who insists she wasn't trying to threaten anyone with her remarks at a local school board meeting this week has been charged. CBS News reports that on Thursday, the board for Page County Schools convened a special meeting to vote on Gov. Glenn Youngkin's recent...
Arizona Couple Allegedly Left
Boy, 11, Home Alone for Weeks
Jan 4, 2022 4:42 PM CST
Arizona Couple Allegedly Left Boy, 11, Home Alone for Weeks
Officials made contact with the child Dec. 12, parents returned home Dec. 29
- An Arizona child was left home alone for at least two weeks, says authorities, and now his parents have been charged with child neglect. NBC News reports the 11-year-old's mother left the state prior to Thanksgiving, and that his father left a shortly after that holiday. The Cochise County...
Her Daughter Died in '63
Bombing at Alabama Church
Jan 3, 2022 11:49 AM CST
Her Daughter Died in '63 Bombing at Alabama Church
Maxine McNair, 93, was last surviving parent of 4 Black girls killed in Birmingham blast
- Maxine McNair, the last living parent of any of the four Black girls killed in a 1963 Alabama church bombing, died Sunday. She was 93. McNair's family announced her death in a press release, per the AP . A cause of death wasn't given. McNair's daughter, 11-year-old Denise...
Couple Nailed in $20M COVID
Funds Scheme on the Run
Nov 19, 2021 12:48 PM CST
Couple Nailed in $20M COVID Funds Scheme on the Run
Richard Ayvazyan, Marietta Terabelian left note for their kids before vanishing in August
- Earlier this year, Richard Ayvazyan and Marietta Terabelian faced the music in a scheme to steal upward of $20 million in COVID relief funds, after using the money to finance upscale homes, jewelry and watches, gold coins, and other luxury goods. The Southern California husband and wife pleaded guilty at...
Cops Arrest Parents of Baby
Found Dead in Trash in 1991
Oct 27, 2021 11:25 AM CDT
Cops Arrest Parents of Baby Found Dead in Trash in 1991
Infant boy suffered blunt force trauma, asphyxiation: authorities
- North Carolina police say they've arrested the parents of an infant found dead in a trash can rack some 30 years ago. It was April 4, 1991, that the decomposed remains of an infant boy were discovered in Nags Head in North Carolina's Outer Banks. Authorities determined the...
They Kept a Vow Not to Talk for
51 Years. Then They Married
Mar 16, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
They Kept a Vow Not to Talk for 51 Years. Then They Married
Biological daughter who was put up for adoption played a role
- It's not often a person can say they introduced their parents, but that's sort of true for Arkansas' Laura Mabry. Mabry, who was adopted as an infant in 1968, took a DNA test in 2019 that connected her with her birth mother, Donna Horn. During text and email...
Thanks to COVID,
a Living Situation
Not Seen Since
Sep 4, 2020 12:59 PM CDT
Thanks to COVID, a Living Situation Not Seen Since Great Depression
More than half of young American adults are living with one or both of their parents
- Not since the beginning of World War II have there been so many young adults shacking up with their parents—and COVID-19 is to blame. Per a Pew Research Center analysis of monthly Census Bureau stats, 24.2 million young adults ages 18 to 29—47% of that US demographic—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.