Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
AI Can Predict How
Drunk You Are
Nov 19, 2023 4:55 PM CST
AI Can Predict How Drunk You Are
Researchers trained AI to measure intoxication based on people reciting tongue twisters
- Start practicing your tongue twisters, because artificial intelligence might be judging your sobriety on how well you recite them soon. At least that's what some researchers suggest after conducting a study analyzing intoxication levels based on speech that had remarkable accuracy. The
walks through the findings in their...
Places to Not Fall Asleep
While Drunk in Paris
Aug 15, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Places to Not Fall Asleep While Drunk in Paris
2 American tourists spent the night in the Eiffel Tower, delaying its opening by an hour
- When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Paris, don't do as these two Americans did. As AFP reports, Eiffel Tower security guards making their rounds early Monday before the Parisian icon's 9am opening found a rather unusual and unwelcome surprise in the form of two...
In Japan, People Do a Weird
Thing After a Night of Drinking
Aug 19, 2020 11:41 AM CDT
In Japan, People Do a Weird Thing After a Night of Drinking
Officials worry 'road sleeping' is going to lead to more people getting hurt in Okinawa
- There's a strange phenomenon that has overtaken the Okinawa prefecture in Japan, and police can't figure out a way to stop it. "Road sleeping," or
in Japanese, seems to be what people like to do there after a night of drinking, and it means that...
He Got Drunk
He Drank, but
Because He Ate
Oct 24, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
He Got Drunk Not Because He Drank, but Because He Ate
Man suffered from auto-brewery syndrome, which converted carbs to ethanol
- For years after taking antibiotics in 2011 for a thumb injury, a previously active and healthy man says he suffered from depression, "brain fog," memory loss, and aggressiveness. Then, after a DWI arrest, those around him, including medical staff and cops, became convinced he was a secret drinker—...
5th-Grader Called 911 on Her.
This Video Offers a Hint Why
Sep 30, 2019 7:34 AM CDT
5th-Grader Called 911 on Her. This Video Offers a Hint Why
Catherine Maccarone has resigned, is charged with driving under the influence, endangerment
- A school bus driver in Washington state has left her job after an alleged DUI incident earlier this month, and now video has also been released. NBC News reports that 48-year-old Catherine Maccarone resigned last week after a fifth grader who'd ridden on her bus called 911 on Sept....
Doesn't Go Well
Jul 9, 2019 12:47 PM CDT
Boater's Escape From Deputies Doesn't Go Well
Robert Callahan jumps into Lake Shasta, then asks deputy to rescue him
- A man suspected of operating a boat while drunk almost immediately regretted his decision to try to flee deputies. Robert Callahan of Oregon jumped into the water from his boat rather than submit to a sobriety test, authorities tell
Redding Record Searchlight
. He made it about 50 yards before asking...
London to Philly,
Feb 8, 2019 8:18 AM CST
Minutes Before Takeoff From London to Philly, Pilot Arrested
The 62-year-old appeared intoxicated right before the late-morning flight
- If you were booked on Flight AA35 out of the UK's Manchester Airport on Thursday morning, you may have been annoyed at your last-minute rebooking. Reading the news Friday, however, should ease your mind that the right call was made.
reports that the American Airlines flight to...
Takes Nap, Then
Nov 1, 2018 8:10 AM CDT
Airline Worker Takes Nap, Then 'Slips Through the Cracks'
Intoxicated baggage handler fell asleep in American Airlines cargo hold
- United Airlines was plagued with canine passenger problems earlier this year. This time it's American that's making headlines, and it involves a human—an apparently drunk one.
reports on a baggage handler said to be in his mid-20s who had an interesting flight on board a...
Into Liquor Store,
Gets Drunk on Bourbon
Dec 4, 2017 12:55 AM CST
Opossum Breaks Into Liquor Store, Gets Drunk on Bourbon
She sobered up at a wildlife center
- An opossum that apparently drank bourbon after breaking into a Florida liquor store sobered up at a wildlife rescue center and was released unharmed. Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge officials say the opossum was brought in by a Fort Walton Beach, Fla., police officer on Nov. 24, the AP reports. A...
Uber Driver Tapes Drink-Fueled
Rant, Dallas Prosecutor Is Fired
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 19, 2017 7:03 AM CST
Uber Driver Tapes Drink-Fueled Rant, Dallas Prosecutor Is Fired
Jody Warner has apologized for her 'language' but says Shaun Platt isn't telling the whole story
- A Texas Uber driver says he was threatened and insulted by an intoxicated Dallas prosecutor while taking her home, and she's now lost her job with the DA's office, per the
. Shaun Platt, 26, tells ABC News that while transporting 32-year-old Jody Warner home from a...
Drunk Man Jumps Out of
Ambulance, Sues Medics
Jun 20, 2017 4:43 PM CDT
Drunk Man Jumps Out of Ambulance, Sues Medics
He says they should have stopped him
- A New York City man who says the city didn't do enough to keep him from drunkenly jumping out of the back of a moving ambulance has filed a lawsuit, the AP reports. Yaugeni Kralkin says he was intoxicated last June when he was picked up by EMTs. According...
Cops Prove They're 'Bloody
Legends' With a Selfie
May 31, 2017 11:15 AM CDT
Cops Prove They're 'Bloody Legends' With a Selfie
Photo on drunk Tasmanian man's phone was only way he knew how he got home
- Reece Park didn't remember getting home after a night of drinking Saturday. Luckily, his phone held the evidence in the form of a selfie snapped by police. The photo , which has since gone viral, shows two Tasmanian police officers smiling in Park's bedroom as Park appears barely awake...
Cops: Uber Ride Turned Into
Nightmare for Colo. Driver
Feb 23, 2017 10:19 AM CST
Cops: Uber Ride Turned Into Nightmare for Colo. Driver
One of his passengers is said to have stolen his car, rammed into tree
- A Colorado Uber driver got a raw deal over the weekend, but so did a retaining wall, a tree, and his car after one of his passengers was accused of stealing it following a fight. Sheriff's deputies say it started at close to 3am Saturday in Fort Collins, when...
Lawyer After Party: Complaint
Dec 28, 2016 11:26 AM CST
Judge Sucker-Punched Lawyer After Party: Complaint
'I do justice and I f---ing kill people!' Robert Beltrani allegedly said before altercation
- A party in October ended with a Legal Aid lawyer lying unconscious on a New York City sidewalk, and on Tuesday, a state parole judge who handles Rikers Island cases was charged with misdemeanor assault and harassment in the case, the
New York Daily News
reports. Robert Beltrani, 53, was...
Less Than 30 Minutes
Before Departure, the
Pilot Was Arrested
Oct 27, 2016 2:04 AM CDT
Less Than 30 Minutes Before Departure, the Pilot Was Arrested
Cops say pilot showed up drunk for Delta flight
- The pilot of a Delta flight from a South Dakota airport was arrested less than 30 minutes before departure time Wednesday morning when a TSA agent told police he smelled like booze. Russel Duszak, 38, was found to have a blood alcohol content of more than 0.04 and was...
How Sober People
Influence Drunk People
Sep 14, 2016 7:44 AM CDT
How Sober People Influence Drunk People
We perceive how drunk we are based on those around us, and sober people make us more aware
- Think you're a good judge of your own level of inebriation while drinking? Think again. Researchers report in the journal
BMC Public Health
that our perception of just how intoxicated we are shifts depending on those around us, so much so that we think we're less drunk when...
Flight Crew Narcs on
Allegedly Drunk Pilots
Jul 19, 2016 2:06 PM CDT
Flight Crew Narcs on Allegedly Drunk Pilots
The Canadian pilots face up to 2 years in prison if convicted
- Two allegedly drunk Canadian pilots were arrested Monday at Glasgow Airport just before taking to the skies with hundreds of passengers in tow, Glasgow Live reports. According to CBC , the flight crew noticed there was something off about the pilots and went to authorities. "We saw five policemen get...
Jun 15, 2016 10:19 AM CDT
Drunk Diner Accidentally Tips 1,800%
He asked for it back once he'd sobered up
- A waiter at a Thai restaurant in Edgewater, Colo., was feeling pretty good about himself after receiving a $1,088 tip over the weekend—until the drunk customer who left it returned to get it back. Owner Bee Anantatho of Thailicious says a server was clearing a table when he...
Pilot Arrested After Allegedly
Showing Up Drunk for Flight
Mar 26, 2016 1:23 PM CDT
Pilot Arrested After Allegedly Showing Up Drunk for Flight
TSA noticed him acting strangely
- Nervous flyers should stop reading now. ABC News reports an American Airlines co-pilot was arrested Saturday morning at Detroit Metropolitan Airport after allegedly showing up for work drunk. The unnamed pilot was was acting strangely and was reported by TSA, according to the
New York Daily News
. Officials say he...
Algorithm Can Spot If You're Tweeting While Drinking
Mar 18, 2016 8:01 AM CDT
Algorithm Can Spot If You're Tweeting While Drinking
It even knows if you're drinking at home
- Think last night's drunk tweets were pretty coherent? You won't fool University of Rochester researchers, who have developed a machine-learning algorithm that can tell when a tweeter is drinking. To do so, they started with humans: Researchers collected tweets associated with alcohol—think ones with words like "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.