Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Musk Says He'll Make
'Alternative Phone' if He Has To
Nov 28, 2022 12:23 PM CST
Musk Says He'll Make 'Alternative Phone' if He Has To
He asks if Apple hates 'free speech in America'
- Elon Musk has declared that a " general amnesty " for suspended Twitter accounts will begin this week, as long as the users haven't broken the law—and while some analysts warn that the move and other content moderations issues could lead to a ban from Apple and Google'...
Late Surge May Make This
the 'Emoji of the Year'
Nov 27, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Late Surge May Make This the 'Emoji of the Year'
Saluting face has become ubiquitous thanks in part to the chaos at Twitter
- The year is almost up, but there's a late entrant for "emoji of the year" honors. It's the saluting face emoji that has lately surged in popularity and use, thanks largely to the mass layoffs and firings at Twitter. However, the
New York Times
notes that it'...
Irish Court to Elon Musk:
No, You Can't Fire This Exec
Nov 27, 2022 6:06 AM CST
Irish Court to Elon Musk: No, You Can't Fire This Exec
Sinead McSweeney won an injunction in Ireland
- It's another sign of the chaos at Twitter: A company executive in Ireland has won a court injunction that prevents Elon Musk from firing her. The odd case involves Sinead McSweeney, Twitter's global VP for public policy, reports Politico . McSweeney says she didn't respond to Musk's...
'Full Circle' on
Nov 25, 2022 11:15 AM CST
Musk Comes 'Full Circle' on Twitter Verification
Blue checks will be manually authenticated under new 3-color system
- Just under a month after Elon Musk completed his acquisition of Twitter, he appears to have settled on a verification system. The CEO tweeted Friday that the new system is "tentatively" scheduled to be launched in one week. He said the checkmarks will come in three colors: "Gold...
After Online Vote, Musk Says
Banned Accounts Will Return
Nov 24, 2022 9:00 PM CST
After Online Vote, Musk Says Banned Accounts Will Return
Watchdogs fear platform will be 'an engine for radicalization'
- Elon Musk announced Thursday that he'll reinstate almost all Twitter accounts that had been suspended by the platform's previous owners, a move that alarmed experts and sparked calls for moves against the company. He posted his decision after opening a vote Wednesday on the site, in which he...
Sources: Musk Balking
at Paying Some Big Bills
Nov 23, 2022 9:10 AM CST
Sources: Musk Balking at Paying Some Big Bills
Travel expenses incurred under old leadership are reportedly an issue
- Just how deep is Elon Musk's cost-cutting at Twitter going? Current and former Twitter employees tell the
New York Times
that the company under Musk is now refusing to pay bills incurred for travel that was carried out before the takeover. And they say those bills, which are tied...
Some of Twitter's Biggest
Advertisers Have Bailed
Nov 23, 2022 12:20 AM CST
Some of Twitter's Biggest Advertisers Have Bailed
'Washington Post' analysis reveals a big drop
- It's probably not a huge surprise to learn that advertisers are leery about pushing their products on Twitter amid the recent chaos. But a
analysis makes clear just how bad the problem is becoming for Elon Musk. Dozens of firms that have been some of Twitter's...
As Musk Fiddles
With Twitter, Tesla Burns
Nov 22, 2022 7:43 AM CST
As Musk Fiddles With Twitter, Tesla Burns
EV manufacturer's shares plummet to 2-year low, which some attribute to Musk's 'loss of focus'
- Elon Musk recently tweeted that he'd be "working & sleeping" at Twitter, his newest acquisition, "until the org is fixed." But that intense dedication to Twitter (and the chaos that has ensued since Musk took over) is among the factors that have investors in his other...
Trump Hasn't Tweeted Yet,
but Kanye West Has
Nov 21, 2022 8:56 AM CST
Trump Hasn't Tweeted Yet, but Kanye West Has
After October removal for anti-Semitic tweets he posts 'Shalom :)'
- Ye, or Kanye West as he was formally known, was restricted from Twitter in October after posting a slew of anti-Semitic remarks. He tweeted a flurry of messages around Nov. 3 and 4 (including one that said he was taking a verbal fast for a month), then nothing until Sunday,...
Chaos Continues at Twitter
Nov 21, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Chaos Continues at Twitter
People are uploading entire movies to the social network, for one thing
- In the latest sign of disarray on Twitter, people are uploading entire films to the social network with what Mashable refers to as "little oversight." While some movies, like the more than 50 tweets of about 2 minutes each making up
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Elon Musk Allows
Trump Back on Twitter
Nov 19, 2022 8:17 PM CST
Elon Musk Allows Trump Back on Twitter
Former president's ban, instituted after Capitol riot, has been lifted
- Elon Musk reinstated Donald Trump’s account on Twitter Saturday, reversing a ban that has kept the former president off the social media site since a pro-Trump mob attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Musk made the announcement in the evening after holding a poll that asked Twitter users...
Musk Wants You to Weigh In
on Trump's Twitter Return
Nov 19, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Musk Wants You to Weigh In on Trump's Twitter Return
Owner of social media platform is conducting a user poll to see if they want ex-president back
- Earlier this month, Twitter owner Elon Musk announced that suspended accounts wouldn't be brought back online for "at least a few more weeks," and only after a "clear process" was put in place to determine who could return and who couldn't. It's not yet...
Twitter Closes Offices as
Hundreds Reject Ultimatum
Nov 18, 2022 5:29 AM CST
Twitter Closes Offices as Hundreds Reject Ultimatum
Sources say critical engineering teams have been gutted
- Elon Musk's ultimatum for Twitter employees to pledge to be "extremely hardcore" was rejected by many workers—perhaps more than the company's new owner bargained for. The Verge reports that according to internal Slack messages and tweets from departing employees, hundreds of employees chose not to respond...
Astronomer's Meteor Video
Was Way Too Sexy for Twitter
Nov 17, 2022 1:15 PM CST
Astronomer's Meteor Video Was Way Too Sexy for Twitter
Mary McIntyre's account was locked for 3-plus months after automated tools flagged the clip
- Astronomers think celestial bodies are sexy, so much so that they often post about them on social media. For one UK space scientist, however, her video of a Perseid fireball over the summer was deemed too sexy for Twitter, resulting in her getting locked out of her account for three-plus...
Musk: 'I Frankly Don't Want
to Be the CEO of Any Company'
Nov 16, 2022 2:46 PM CST
Musk: 'I Frankly Don't Want to Be the CEO of Any Company'
The CEO/CEO/CEO testified in a Tesla shareholder trial in Delaware
- Elon Musk is a CEO in triplicate: It's the title he has at Tesla, SpaceX, and now Twitter. But as he tells it, he'd prefer the count to be zero. Musk said as much from the witness stand Wednesday while in a Delaware court where he was battling...
Twitter Employees Get
an Ultimatum From Elon Musk
Nov 16, 2022 7:52 AM CST
Twitter Employees Get an Ultimatum From Elon Musk
They have until 5pm Thursday to decide if they're ready to be 'hardcore'
- Those who remain employed by Twitter were given an ultimatum on Wednesday morning by Elon Musk, and they reportedly have until 5pm ET Thursday to make up their minds. The
reports staffers were sent an email from Musk that contained a link to an online form. The email...
the 'Cat's Paws'
Nov 15, 2022 6:40 AM CST
Trump Re-Ups Fight Against the 'Cat's Paws' of Twitter
Former president files lawsuit in appeals court regarding his ban on social media platform
- Elon Musk has previously said he would lift former President Trump's Twitter ban, and now it looks as if it might be just a matter of time before that happens. Trump doesn't seem to want to wait for the social media platform's answer on that, however: On...
Senator to Elon Musk: 'Fix Your
Companies. Or Congress Will'
Nov 14, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Senator to Elon Musk: 'Fix Your Companies. Or Congress Will'
Dem Sen. Ed Markey of Mass. got into it with the Twitter CEO over the weekend
- Elon Musk had it out over the weekend with a US senator on the platform he now owns. Axios reports that Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts kicked things off on Friday with a letter to Musk that he posted on Twitter , asking Musk to fill him in on how...
Twitter Pulls Check Marks
as Tumblr Matches the Deal
Nov 11, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Twitter Pulls Check Marks as Tumblr Matches the Deal
Fake accounts sprang up immediately
- Twitter has suspended the chaotic sale of its $7.99-a-month blue check mark after one day, when it became clear the internet could not be trusted to use it responsibly. The verification badge, which the company no longer verifies, immediately began showing up on fake accounts, the
In First Address to Twitter Staff,
Musk Warns of 80-Hour Weeks
Nov 11, 2022 5:37 AM CST
In First Address to Twitter Staff, Musk Warns of 80-Hour Weeks
He also discussed plans for platform to offer financial services, spoke of bankruptcy
- Elon Musk warned of possible bankruptcy Thursday when he addressed Twitter employees for the first time since taking over the company, insiders say. The Verge says it has obtained a recording of the session, in which Musk took questions from employees and discussed offering banking services through Twitter. He said...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Police: Fentanyl Killing Teens May Have Come From One Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.