Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'I'm Going to
Finish My Term'
Sep 7, 2023 6:34 AM CDT
McConnell: 'I'm Going to Finish My Term'
And his GOP colleagues appear to largely support him
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell declared again Wednesday that he plans to finish his term as leader despite freezing up at two news conferences over the summer, brushing off questions about his health as he sought to reassure colleagues he's still up to the job, the AP reports. At...
Doctor Reports No Signs
McConnell Had a Stroke
Sep 5, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Doctor Reports No Signs McConnell Had a Stroke
Capitol physician rules out several possible causes without suggesting why senator has frozen up
- After experts suggested Sen. Mitch McConnell's public freezing episodes were caused by something other than lightheadedness or dehydration, the US Capitol's physician has listed potential causes that have been ruled out. A medical examination of the Republican leader on Wednesday found no signs that he is dealing with...
Neurologists Are Skeptical
of McConnell Diagnosis
Sep 1, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Neurologists Are Skeptical of McConnell Diagnosis
Experts say video suggests small seizures are more likely the cause than dehydration
- Seven neurologists consulted by
the New York Times
say the video of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell freezing up while addressing reporters on Wednesday suggests the problem is more serious than the official explanation indicates . Dr. Brian Monahan, the Capitol's attending physician, has issued a statement that mentioned dehydration...
Nikki Haley: Senate Is Just
a 'Privileged Nursing Home'
Sep 1, 2023 6:35 AM CDT
Nikki Haley: Senate Is Just a 'Privileged Nursing Home'
After McConnell freeze-up, presidential contender says aging politicians need to know when to retire
- As whispers continue to circulate over the future of Mitch McConnell's leadership following his second public freeze-up , Nikki Haley is saying out loud what she thinks about aging lawmakers, and when they should realize it might be time to pack it up on Capitol Hill. Appearing on Fox News'...
McConnell Cleared by Doctor
as Successor Talk Heats Up
Aug 31, 2023 3:18 PM CDT
McConnell Cleared by Doctor as Successor Talk Heats Up
Senate majority leader has had two public freeze-ups
- The Capitol's attending physician has pronounced Sen. Mitch McConnell good to go and said he can carry on with his duties, a day after the minority leader froze at a microphone during an appearance in Kentucky. "I have consulted with Leader McConnell and conferred with his neurology team,...
McConnell Called Allies
After Freezing Up Again
Aug 31, 2023 11:21 AM CDT
McConnell Called Allies After Freezing Up Again
Marjorie Taylor Greene says he's 'not fit for office'
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's office says he was "momentarily lightheaded" when he froze up while speaking to reporters in Kentucky on Wednesday—but insiders say concerns about the 81-year-old's ability to remain in a leadership role are growing. McConnell had a similar episode a month ago...
McConnell Freezes Up Again
Aug 30, 2023 1:53 PM CDT
McConnell Freezes Up Again
Spokesman says he felt 'momentarily lightheaded' during press conference
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell froze up during a press conference in Kentucky Wednesday, a month after he experienced a similar episode while talking to reporters at the Capitol. McConnell spoke for several minutes at the Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Government Forum before freezing up while taking questions from...
a 'Minor Fall'
Aug 9, 2023 10:24 AM CDT
Feinstein Takes a 'Minor Fall'
Senate's oldest member visited hospital, is recovering at home
- The hits—or really, the falls and senior moments—just keep coming for a couple of the United States Senate's most venerable and aged members, Dianne Feinstein and Mitch McConnell , both of whom are facing calls from members of their own parties to step down. As CBS News reports,...
Might Be Time
Jul 28, 2023 10:14 AM CDT
GOP Senator: Might Be Time for McConnell to Resign
McConnell's office says he will remain GOP leader at least until the next Congress
- Some Republican senators say they've observed concerning changes in Mitch McConnell's behavior since he suffered a concussion and broken rib during a fall in March. Their concerns were exacerbated Wednesday when the Senate minority leader froze for around 20 seconds during a press conference. He gave no reason...
Report: McConnell Has Fallen
at Least 3 Times This Year
Jul 27, 2023 8:24 AM CDT
Report: McConnell Has Fallen at Least 3 Times This Year
He says he is 'fine' after freezing up at Wednesday press conference
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday evening that he was "fine" after freezing up for around 20 seconds during his weekly press conference—but he didn't say whether he had seen a doctor after the incident, which has added to concerns about the 81-year-old Republican's health....
Jul 26, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
McConnell Freezes at Microphone
Minority leader is helped back to his office, then returns to finish press conference
- Sen. Mitch McConnell appeared to shut down during a press conference in the Capitol on Wednesday, falling into silence for about 20 seconds in the middle of a sentence until he was helped away. The minority leader was escorted back to his office by a colleague and finished the press...
Align on Debt Ceiling
May 8, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
McConnell, McCarthy Align on Debt Ceiling
Senator says he told Biden to reach a deal with speaker
- Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell has worked with President Biden before to avoid debt limit catastrophe, but he's yielding to the gentleman from California this time. McConnell told Politico he's informed the president he'll have to negotiate a solution with House Speaker Kevin McCarthy. "In the...
2 Senators Go Back to Work
Apr 17, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
2 Senators Go Back to Work
Mitch McConnell, John Fetterman return to the Capitol after lengthy absences
- The Senate is a little more full on Monday, but just as red and blue: Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and Pennsylvania Democrat John Fetterman will be back at work in the US Capitol on Monday, reports the AP . McConnell's return comes almost six weeks after a fall at...
Free US Reporter
Apr 7, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Schumer, McConnell: Free US Reporter
Russia reports it's formally charged Evan Gershkovich
- Senate leaders of both parties appealed Friday for the release of a
Wall Street Journal
reporter whom Russia said it has charged with spying. Evan Gershkovich pleaded not guilty Friday, saying he was operating only as a journalist, the state news agency TASS reported. The Federal Security Service was quoted...
Released From Hospital
Mar 13, 2023 5:18 PM CDT
Mitch McConnell Released From Hospital
He's now in an inpatient rehab facility
- Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell was released from the hospital Monday after treatment for a concussion and will continue to recover in an inpatient rehabilitation facility, a spokesman said. McConnell's office said his doctors discovered over the weekend that he had also suffered a "minor rib fracture" after...
Mar 9, 2023 1:30 PM CST
McConnell Suffered Concussion, Still Hospitalized
Senate Republican leader, 81, tripped and fell, will be in hospital a 'few days'
- Mitch McConnell suffered a concussion when he fell at a Washington hotel and will remain hospitalized “for a few days of observation and treatment,” a spokesman said Thursday. The Senate Republican leader, 81, was at a private dinner Wednesday evening at the Waldorf Astoria in DC when he...
From Sunset Plan
Feb 17, 2023 4:35 PM CST
Under Pressure, Scott Removes Social Security From Sunset Plan
Both parties had attacked the idea of having to revote on programs every five years
- After it received bipartisan criticism and was called out during the president's State of the Union address, the proposal by Sen. Rick Scott to put all federal programs on a five-year limit has been changed. The Republican's "Rescue America" plan now lists the "specific exceptions of...
Feb 2, 2023 2:42 PM CST
GOP Picks Familiar Face to Rebut Biden Address
New Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders gets the nod
- Republicans have chosen a Donald Trump supporter who won in November to give the party's rebuttal to President Biden's State of the Union address. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell announced that the honor will go to Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, 40, her...
Jan 3, 2023 6:21 PM CST
McConnell Celebrates Senate Milestone
Republican is now the longest-serving Senate leader in history
- While the House was mired in multiple rounds of voting to select a new speaker Tuesday, things moved ahead smoothly in the Senate, where Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was celebrating a milestone. The 80-year-old became the longest-serving Senate leader in history, with 16 years as the top Senate Republican,...
Calls Out Trump
Dec 23, 2022 2:58 PM CST
McConnell Calls Out Trump on Midterms, Vows Changes
Senate minority leader promises to get behind 'quality candidates' for 2024, calls ex-president 'diminished'
- Donald Trump was panned by pundits after the midterms, with one even calling him the "biggest loser" of the November elections after many of the candidates he endorsed struggled, fending off the red wave that Republicans had hoped for. Now, one of his party's biggest congressional names is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
NFL Player Got Creative to Avoid Trash-Talk Penalties
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.