Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 31, 2023 12:31 AM CDT
Pete Sampras Reveals Wife's Scary Diagnosis
Bridgette Wilson-Sampras is 'thriving' as she heals from ovarian cancer
- Bridgette Wilson-Sampras, actress and wife to retired tennis star Pete Sampras, has been battling ovarian cancer. The tennis legend announced the news in a statement posted Monday to the ATP Tour's X account. "As most have come to know, I am a pretty quiet and private person. However,...
A 'Gift' Was Entangled
in Chris Evert's Grief
Jan 18, 2023 9:25 AM CST
A 'Gift' Was Entangled in Chris Evert's Grief
Because Jeanne Evert Dubin had BRCA1 variant, the tennis legend got tested
- Tennis legend Chris Evert on Tuesday announced she has beat the cancer that killed her younger sister in 2020. In a piece for ESPN , Evert recounts what led up to her discovery of stage 1 ovarian cancer a year ago . She writes that her sister, Jeanne Evert Dubin, underwent genetic...
Johnson & Johnson's
'No-Brainer' Fix on Baby Powder
Aug 12, 2022 10:49 AM CDT
Johnson & Johnson's 'No-Brainer' Fix on Baby Powder
Cornstarch will take its place, starting next year, after complaints talc caused cancer
- You already won't find Johnson & Johnson baby powder containing talc on most store shelves in the US and Canada, but now the company is nixing the ingredient in that product worldwide, after tens of thousands of complaints were filed alleging it caused cancer in consumers who used it....
First She Got the Doctor's
Call. Then Her Fiance Did
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 19, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
First She Got the Doctor's Call. Then Her Fiance Did
Mariah Nelesen, Clay Slenk move up wedding date after cancer diagnoses within 8 days of each other
- Mariah Nelesen and Clay Slenk's wedding on June 10 was supposed to be a grand affair, with every detail meticulously planned out. Now they've moved the date up to April 9, and they're planning on a reception meal of "burgers and brats on the grill,"...
I Have Cancer
My Late Sister Had
Jan 15, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Chris Evert: I Have Cancer My Late Sister Had
Tennis Hall of Famer, in early stages of ovarian cancer, has started chemo
- While much of the attention in the tennis world has recently been focused on the upcoming Australian Open, especially Novak Djokovic's attempts to get into the country to play there, a message from legend Chris Evert on Friday evening shifted things to more sobering ground. "I wanted to...
Jun 15, 2021 6:51 AM CDT
CNN Anchor Christiane Amanpour Reveals Diagnosis
Decorated reporter is 'confident' in her long-term prognosis for ovarian cancer
- In what she says is "mostly ... a shoutout to early diagnosis," veteran journalist and war correspondent Christiane Amanpour revealed Monday she has ovarian cancer. The CNN anchor, 63, told viewers she had major surgery, which was successful, and is now undergoing chemotherapy, NBC News reports. She said she...
Supreme Court Move Means
J&J Owes Women $2B
Jun 1, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Supreme Court Move Means J&J Owes Women $2B
Company wanted justices to review decision over talc-based baby powder, but they declined
- The Supreme Court is leaving in place a $2 billion verdict in favor of women who say they developed ovarian cancer from using Johnson & Johnson talc products, per the AP . The justices didn't comment Tuesday in rejecting Johnson & Johnson's appeal . The company argued that it wasn'...
J&J Asks Supreme Court
for Help in Talc Verdict
May 31, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
J&J Asks Supreme Court for Help in Talc Verdict
Company wants a review of $2B decision
- Johnson & Johnson is asking the Supreme Court to review a $2 billion verdict in favor of women who claim they developed ovarian cancer from using the company's talc products, per the AP . The case features an array of high-profile attorneys, some in unusual alliances, including former independent counsel...
Ovarian Cancer Screening
Study 'Deeply Disappointing'
May 13, 2021 8:03 AM CDT
Ovarian Cancer Screening Study 'Deeply Disappointing'
Large-scale screening failed to save lives
- Even in advanced stages, the symptoms of ovarian cancer —including feeling bloated, a swollen stomach, and needing to urinate more frequently—are often mistaken for less serious ailments. Researchers say they hoped large-scale screening would save lives, and they were "deeply disappointed" when that didn't turn out...
'My Hope Is
Sep 12, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Hilary Swank Files Lawsuit: 'My Hope Is to Create Change'
The Oscar-winning actor sues SAG-AFTRA's health plan over 'antiquated' policies
- Hilary Swank is suing her union's "barbaric" health plan for refusing to cover her treatment of malignant ovarian cysts,
reports. The 46-year-old actor says SAG-AFTRA denied her coverage because the board of trustees considered it an infertility treatment, which the union plan doesn't cover. "Their...
Women Awarded $4.7B
in Talc Powder Lawsuit
Jul 13, 2018 1:01 AM CDT
Women Awarded $4.7B in Talc Powder Lawsuit
They said asbestos in product contributed to cancer
- A St. Louis jury on Thursday awarded nearly $4.7 billion in total damages to 22 women and their families after they claimed asbestos in Johnson & Johnson talcum powder contributed to their ovarian cancer. This was the first case against the company that focused on asbestos in the powder,...
Cancer Patient Scores $37M
Win in Talcum Powder Lawsuit
Apr 6, 2018 10:48 AM CDT
Cancer Patient Scores $37M Win in Talcum Powder Lawsuit
NJ couple receives compensatory damages from Johnson & Johnson for cancer tied to asbestos
- Stephen Lanzo says he used Johnson & Johnson products for decades, including products with talcum powder (e.g., the company's famous baby powder), and that his aggressive form of lung cancer was brought about by that powder. On Thursday, a jury awarded the New Jersey banker and his wife...
Be Tied to This
Type of Cancer
Feb 16, 2018 2:34 PM CST
Women's Paternal Grandmas May Be Tied to This Type of Cancer
Women's risk for ovarian cancer may be passed down from the father's side of the family
- Sons inherit a baldness gene from their moms, and now scientists are pointing to another parent-child link on the opposite side. Per the BBC , fathers can pass down a gene mutation to their daughters that can raise the risk of ovarian cancer, per a study published Thursday in
Awarded $417M in
Baby Powder Lawsuit
Aug 22, 2017 12:19 AM CDT
Dying Woman Awarded $417M in Baby Powder Lawsuit
She blames Johnson & Johnson product for ovarian cancer
- A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. The verdict in the lawsuit brought...
Stage 1 Cancers
Via Blood Test
Aug 17, 2017 12:15 PM CDT
Scientists Spot Stage 1 Cancers Via Blood Test
Earlier treatment could save millions of lives
- Human blood is rich with genetic material, and scientists have in recent years taken many steps forward in decoding it. The latest announcement—that a blood test can spot cancer at its earliest stages—has the potential to save millions of lives as treatment is administered earlier in the disease'...
Professor Nears 70 Marathons
Heeding Wife's Dying Wish
Jul 22, 2017 1:15 PM CDT
Professor Nears 70 Marathons Heeding Wife's Dying Wish
She pleaded with him to be there for the kids
- In 2003, as Christine Guetzloff was dying of ovarian cancer at the age of 34, she sat her husband down for an important conversation. "Tom, you need to do something—you're just way out of shape," she told the West Virginia State college chemistry professor. "Look...
May 5, 2017 11:16 AM CDT
Woman Wins Record $110M Payout Over Baby Powder
Johnson & Johnson says it will continue to defend its product amid cancer lawsuits
- A St. Louis jury has awarded a Virginia woman a record-setting $110.5 million in the latest lawsuit alleging that using Johnson & Johnson's baby powder caused cancer, the AP reports. The jury ruling Thursday night for 62-year-old Lois Slemp, of Wise, Virginia, comes after three previous St. Louis...
Scientists Recreate Female
Reproductive System in Lab
Mar 29, 2017 8:32 AM CDT
Scientists Recreate Female Reproductive System in Lab
They hope to study endometriosis, fibroids, cancer, and more
- Scientists have created a device that mimics the female reproductive cycle, hailing it as a breakthrough in the study of diseases that affect hundreds of millions of women and girls around the world. Reporting in the journal
, researchers at Northwestern University and beyond note that their "microfluidic...
Right' for My
Mar 3, 2017 12:20 PM CST
Please 'Swipe Right' for My Husband
Dying woman sets up dating profile for spouse in 'NYT' essay
- Jason Brian Rosenthal is a wonderful father, can flip a pancake like nobody's business, offers gumballs to unsuspecting recipients, and is the subject of a singles "ad" as it appears in the most recent
New York Times
"Modern Love" column. The person who's trying to find...
J&J Baby Powder Suit:
a $70M Payout
Oct 28, 2016 8:11 AM CDT
J&J Baby Powder Suit: a $70M Payout
Deborah Giannecchini said she had 'no idea' of dangers before her ovarian cancer
- For more than 40 years, Deborah Giannecchini used Johnson & Johnson baby powder and other talcum powder products—and on Thursday, a St. Louis jury awarded more than $70 million in damages on her claim, the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports. The 63-year-old Californian said those J&J products contributed to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.