Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Eritreans Riot, Netanyahu
Wants Immediate Deportations
Sep 3, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
After Eritreans Riot, Netanyahu Wants Immediate Deportations
Israeli prime minister calls for removing 'illegal infiltrators'
- Saying "a red line" had been crossed in a violent riot in Tel Aviv, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced a move Sunday toward deporting all immigrants who aren't authorized to be in Israel. About 170 people were injured in clashes with police and fighting between supporters and opponents...
Netanyahu May Have Uncorked
Something He Can't Control
Jul 25, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Netanyahu May Have Uncorked Something He Can't Control
'These could be the last days of Israeli democracy,' says one critic
- Israel remained convulsed with mass protests on Tuesday in the wake of a judicial overhaul plan passed by Benjamin Netanyahu's far-right coalition government. The stakes? "These could be the last days of Israeli democracy," author Yuval Noah Harari (an expert on big-picture perspective ) tells the
After Cries of 'Shame,' Israeli
Lawmakers Pass Judicial Bill
Jul 24, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
After Cries of 'Shame,' Israeli Lawmakers Pass Judicial Bill
Knesset moves ahead with divisive plan despite the objections of President Biden
- Israeli lawmakers on Monday approved a key portion of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's divisive plan to reshape the country's justice system, per the AP . The vote came after a stormy session in which opposition lawmakers chanted "shame" and then stormed out of the chamber. The vote reflected...
Netanyahu Taken to Hospital
for a Pacemaker
Jul 23, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
Netanyahu Taken to Hospital for a Pacemaker
Health scare comes amid protests over controversial judicial overhaul
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was rushed to the hospital early Sunday for an emergency procedure to implant a pacemaker, plunging the country into deeper turmoil after widespread protests overt his contentious judicial overhaul plan. In a brief video statement before the procedure, Netanyahu declared that he "feels excellent" and...
Huge Protests, Ex-Officials,
Reservists Pressure Netanyahu
Jul 22, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Huge Protests, Ex-Officials, Reservists Pressure Netanyahu
Judicial overhaul heads toward vote Monday in parliament
- Tens of thousands of protesters marched into Jerusalem on Saturday evening, and hundreds of thousands of Israelis took to the streets in Tel Aviv and other cities in a last-ditch show of force aimed at blocking Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's contentious judicial overhaul . Also Saturday, more than 100 of...
Protests Erupt After Netanyahu
Rejects Judiciary Plan Criticism
Jul 20, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Protests Erupt After Netanyahu Rejects Judiciary Plan Criticism
Prime minister tells nation he won't budge on bill, which is headed for a vote Monday in Parliament
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday vowed to press ahead with his contentious judicial overhaul, despite unprecedented mass protests at home, growing defections by military reservists and appeals from the US president to put the plan on hold. Netanyahu's message, delivered in a prime time address on national...
Drink Plenty of Water
Jul 15, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Hospitalized Netanyahu: Drink Plenty of Water
Prime minister, who had reported dizziness, may have been dehydrated
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was rushed to a hospital on Saturday after reporting what he called "mild dizziness," a statement from his office said. Tests showed no abnormalities, CNN reports his aides said, and a video was released in which he says he feels well. Still, Netanyahu,...
Thousands Protest Before
Apr 22, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Thousands Protest Before Israel's Anniversary
Demonstrators link Netanyahu's judicial plan to future of democracy
- Tens of thousands of protesters flocked to Tel Aviv and cities across Israel on Saturday to vent their opposition to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's far-right government and its divisive plan to overhaul the country's judicial system. The mass protest—which has raged weekly since the start of the...
Apr 10, 2023 5:50 PM CDT
Netanyahu Drops Firing of Defense Minister
'We continue together with full strength,' prime minister says of Gallant
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday reversed his decision to fire his defense minister over criticism of the government's contentious plan to overhaul the judiciary. In a live press conference, Netanyahu said that Yoav Gallant is staying at his post. "I decided to put the differences we...
Netanyahu May Have Failed
in Bid to Fire Defense Chief
Mar 28, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Netanyahu May Have Failed in Bid to Fire Defense Chief
Days later, Yoav Gallant is still on the job amid national unrest
- As a sign of how chaotic things are in Israel , this is a pretty good one. On Sunday, Benjamin Netanyahu announced he'd fired his defense minister. On Tuesday, the official, Yoav Gallant, was still on the job. The reason for that is unclear, with one theory that Gallant is...
Amid Turmoil in Israel,
Netanyahu Backs Down
Mar 27, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
Amid Turmoil in Israel, Netanyahu Backs Down
Prime minister delays controversial plan to overhaul the judiciary
This story has been updated with new developments.
After unprecedented protests and strikes that paralyzed Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu has postponed his controversial plan to overhaul the nation's judicial system, reports Reuters . “I will give a genuine opportunity for genuine dialogue,” said Netanyahu. “One way or another,...
Israel's Prez to Netanyahu:
'Wake Up Now!'
Mar 27, 2023 1:26 AM CDT
Israel's Prez to Netanyahu: 'Wake Up Now!'
Tens of thousands take to the streets as opposition to PM's judiciary overhaul mounts
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's plan to overhaul the judiciary was facing mounting opposition on Monday, with the country's ceremonial president urging for an immediate halt to the legal changes, the AP reports. Universities countrywide shut their doors in protest and trade unions were expected to call for a...
Netanyahu Fires Defense Chief
Who Urged Halt to Judicial Plan
Mar 26, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Netanyahu Fires Defense Chief Who Urged Halt to Judicial Plan
Civil opposition threatens national security, Yoav Gallant says
- With hundreds of thousands of people on the streets regularly protesting his plan to overhaul Israel's judiciary, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu made clear Sunday night that he won't brook dissent from within. One day after his defense minister urged holding up on the change in a televised speech,...
Mar 15, 2023 5:48 PM CDT
Netanyahu Rejects President's Compromise on Judiciary
Jewish American leaders go to Israel to urge a deal
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday swiftly rejected a compromise proposal aimed at resolving a standoff over his plans to overhaul the country's legal system, deepening the crisis over a program that has roiled the country and drawn international criticism. The country's figurehead president, Isaac Herzog, had...
Protests Fail to Stop
Netanyahu's Legal Changes
Feb 20, 2023 5:40 PM CST
Protests Fail to Stop Netanyahu's Legal Changes
Israeli opposition promises to not give up
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government on Tuesday for the first time advanced a plan to overhaul the country's legal system, defying a mass uproar among Israelis and calls for restraint from the US. The vote marked only preliminary approval for the plan, the AP reports. But it raised...
Israel's President Addresses
Nation on Netanyahu's Plan
Feb 12, 2023 2:35 PM CST
Israel's President Addresses Nation on Netanyahu's Plan
Herzog appeals for delaying judiciary changes to allow for negotiations
- Israel's president on Sunday appealed to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to delay a contentious plan to overhaul the country's judicial system and instead seek a compromise with his political opponents. President Isaac Herzog issued the appeal in a prime-time nationwide address a day before Netanyahu's coalition is...
Despite Opposition, Netanyahu
Sticks by Judicial Changes
Jan 15, 2023 2:50 PM CST
Despite Opposition, Netanyahu Sticks by Judicial Changes
Plan has been denounced by thousands, including a Supreme Court justice
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday his government plans to charge ahead with an overhaul of the country's judicial system, despite fierce criticism from top legal officials and protests against the changes that have drawn thousands of people. Netanyahu, who is on trial for corruption, has made the...
Israeli Lawmakers Protest
New Government's Plans
Jan 7, 2023 2:45 PM CST
Israeli Lawmakers Protest New Government's Plans
Left-wing Knesset members' concerns include judicial overhaul
- Thousands of Israelis took to the streets Saturday evening to protest plans by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's new government that opponents say threaten democracy and freedoms. The protesters gathered in the central city of Tel Aviv days after the most right-wing and religiously conservative government in the country's...
Outgoing PM to Incoming PM:
'Try Not to Destroy' Israel
Dec 29, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Outgoing PM to Incoming PM: 'Try Not to Destroy' Israel
Benjamin Netanyahu is back for 6th term, leading nation's most far-right government yet
- Benjamin Netanyahu was sworn into office Thursday, taking the helm of the most right-wing and religiously conservative government in Israel's history and vowing to implement policies that could cause domestic and regional turmoil and alienate the country's closest allies. Netanyahu took the oath of office moments after parliament...
Deal to Return
as Prime Minister
Dec 21, 2022 7:05 PM CST
Netanyahu Strikes Deal to Return as Prime Minister
Governing coalition will be the furthest right in Israeli history
- Benjamin Netanyahu announced Wednesday that he's assembled a coalition that will return him to the prime minister's office, where he'll reign over the most far-right government in Israel's history. The ultra-Orthodox and far-right allies he ceded power to have promised broad changes in the country, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.