Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'All In' in Iowa,
DeSantis Will Soon
Nov 28, 2023 1:00 AM CST
'All In' in Iowa, DeSantis Will Soon Complete the 'Full Grassley'
Florida governor will soon finish touring every one of the state's 99 counties
- Ron DeSantis has been campaigning his way through Iowa's counties, nabbing Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds' endorsement in the process, and he'll complete his tour of all 99 counties on December 2 with an event at the " Thunderdome ," sources tell CBS News . The feat is known as...
Has Something to Celebrate
Nov 5, 2023 12:15 PM CST
Struggling DeSantis Has Something to Celebrate
Popular Iowa governor decides to endorse Florida colleague for GOP nomination
- Ron DeSantis is channeling most of his effort and resources into winning the Iowa caucuses, making campaign trips to 87 of the state's 99 counties so far, and now he has something to show for it. At a rally Monday in Des Moines, Gov. Kim Reynolds plans to endorse...
Iowa Democrats Reveal
Their Caucus Compromise
Oct 6, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Iowa Democrats Reveal Their Caucus Compromise
They propose releasing presidential caucus results on Super Tuesday
- That Iowa Democratic Party says it's "definitely a compromise": It announced Friday that while it will caucus on Jan. 15, it won't reveal results until Super Tuesday. The AP calls it an attempt "to retain their state's leadoff spot on the presidential nominating calendar without...
Iowa GOP Settles on King Day
Jul 8, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Iowa GOP Settles on King Day
State Republican leaders pick Jan. 15 for presidential caucuses
- Democrats have moved on, but Republicans in Iowa picked a date for their 2024 presidential caucuses on Saturday, deciding to meet earlier than they have the past couple of cycles. The state's GOP central committee voted to hold the caucuses on Jan. 15, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Politico...
Democrats Rearrange Primaries
Feb 4, 2023 5:05 PM CST
Democrats Rearrange Primaries
Party to lead off with South Carolina in 2024, increasing clout of voters of color
- The Democratic Party on Saturday approved reordering its 2024 presidential primaries, replacing Iowa with South Carolina in the leadoff spot as part of a major shake-up meant to empower Black and other minority voters critical to its base of support. Although more changes are possible later this year, the formal...
Democrats Talk About
Dethroning Iowa Caucuses
Oct 9, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Democrats Talk About Dethroning Iowa Caucuses
Problems in the last presidential race add to arguments about diversity, process
- The handling of the last Iowa Democratic caucuses mostly just pleased Republicans. On top of several other reasons why the exercise isn't a great way to deliver the first campaign victory to a presidential candidate, technical problems derailed the counting of results in February 2020. It's enough to...
AP Won't Declare Winner
After Iowa Recount
Feb 28, 2020 3:06 AM CST
AP Won't Declare Winner After Iowa Recount
Buttigieg still on top in final results
- The New Hampshire primary and Nevada caucuses have passed, and South Carolina’s vote is just a day away—but there’s still no winner of the Iowa caucuses, according to the AP . Final results of the first contest to decide the Democratic Party's nominee to challenge President Trump...
Buttigieg's Iowa Lead Almost
Gone After Recanvassing
Feb 19, 2020 5:05 AM CST
Buttigieg's Iowa Lead Almost Gone After Recanvassing
Sanders is now just 0.04% behind
- The Democratic National Convention begins on July 13—and by then, a clear winner from the Iowa caucuses may have emerged. After a recanvass, the Iowa Democratic Party released results from the Feb. 3 caucuses Tuesday that reduced Pete Buttigieg's narrow lead over Bernie Sanders in state delegate equivalents...
Nevada Caucus Volunteers
Sound a Little Worried
Feb 14, 2020 4:31 PM CST
Nevada Caucus Volunteers Sound a Little Worried
Democrats drop apps but haven't completed their replacement
- The state Democratic Party has taken the first step in trying to avoid an Iowa-like debacle on Nevada's caucus day, Feb 22. The party dropped the two apps that were going to be used, because they were made by the same company whose app has been blamed for the...
Feb 12, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Iowa Democratic Boss Resigns, Apologizes for Caucus Fiasco
Real results may never be known
- The chairman of the Iowa Democratic Party resigned Wednesday after a disastrous caucus process beset by technical glitches led to a dayslong delay in reporting the results, inconsistencies in the numbers and no clear winner. The embarrassing episode also threatened Iowa's cherished status as the first contest of the...
Iowa Says Buttigieg Has
Largest Delegate Count
Feb 10, 2020 4:35 AM CST
Iowa Says Buttigieg Has Largest Delegate Count
Sanders campaign calls for recanvass
- Pete Buttigieg won the Iowa caucuses, according to the state Democratic Party—but many news outlets are refusing to call a winner, citing errors and inconsistencies in the results. The Iowa Democratic Party said Sunday, almost a week after the caucuses, that Buttigieg would be awarded 14 of the state'...
After Andrew Yang
Bombs in Iowa,
a Big Move
Feb 7, 2020 7:17 AM CST
After Andrew Yang Bombs in Iowa, a Big Move
Dozens of staffers have reportedly been canned
- The Iowa caucuses didn't deliver the results Andrew Yang's team had hoped for—as of Thursday afternoon, with 97% of precincts reporting, he'd earned 1% of the state's delegates, per CNN —and now that team is apparently much smaller. Four ex-staffers tell Politico they're...
AP: We Can't Call
a Winner in Iowa
Feb 7, 2020 1:18 AM CST
AP: We Can't Call a Winner in Iowa
There is 'evidence the party has not accurately tabulated some of its results'
- In 2016, it took 17 hours before the AP could confirm that Hillary Clinton had narrowly beaten Bernie Sanders in Iowa's Democratic caucuses. This time around, after chaos on caucus night , the final result may not be clear until after New Hampshire votes next week. The AP said Thursday...
Democratic Leader on Iowa:
'Enough Is Enough'
Feb 6, 2020 12:43 PM CST
Democratic Leader on Iowa: 'Enough Is Enough'
DNC chief Tom Perez calls for a recanvass
- The chairman of the Democratic National Committee called on Thursday for a “recanvass” of the results of Monday's Iowa caucus, which was marred by technical problems and delays, per the AP . ”Enough is enough," party leader Tom Perez wrote on Twitter . He said he was calling...
97% of Precincts Are In,
but Iowa Is Too Close to Call
Feb 6, 2020 3:02 AM CST
97% of Precincts Are In, but Iowa Is Too Close to Call
Buttigieg's lead over Sanders has narrowed
- More than 48 hours after the Iowa caucuses closed, no winner has been declared—and even with 97% of precincts reporting as of early Thursday, it is still too close to call. According to results released after midnight, Pete Buttigieg's lead over Sen. Bernie Sanders has narrowed, the
Feb 5, 2020 4:45 PM CST
Biden Fires Staffer After Taking a 'Gut Punch'
Biden's campaign is reeling after Iowa caucuses
- Joe Biden, fourth place in Iowa? The purported front-runner among Democratic candidates didn't deny his poor showing at Monday's caucuses: "I'm not going to sugarcoat it," he said Wednesday, per Politico . "We took a gut punch in Iowa." But the Democratic candidate still...
Where We're at
in Iowa: 71% of
Results Are In
Feb 5, 2020 6:24 AM CST
Where We're at in Iowa: 71% of Results Are In
Buttigieg leads, with Sanders close behind
- Better late than never: The Iowa Democratic Party has released more results from Monday night's Democratic caucuses. After technical glitches with a mobile app used for reporting the results, not much has changed from Tuesday afternoon's rankings, when 62% of precincts had been reported. Per the
Partial Caucus Results
Feb 4, 2020 4:24 PM CST
Iowa Releases Partial Caucus Results
62%, to be exact
- Clouded by doubts on a chaotic day-after, the Iowa Democratic Party began releasing partial results of the state's first-in-the-nation presidential caucus on Tuesday, the AP reports. The data, made public for the first time nearly 24 hours after voting concluded, reflected the results of 62% of precincts in the...
This May Be the End
of Iowa's Political Clout
Feb 4, 2020 10:25 AM CST
This May Be the End of Iowa's Political Clout
Many predicting the end of the state's first-in-the-nation voting status
- If you thought people were fed up with Iowa's first-in-the-nation voting status before Monday night's chaos , it's nothing compared to the sentiment surfacing Tuesday morning. Examples:
"Iowa's outsize role has faced attacks for decades, along with periodic failed attempts by other states to
Iowa on Russia
Feb 4, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Trump: Maybe Democrats Will Blame Iowa on Russia
'It is not the fault of Iowa, it is the Do Nothing Democrats fault'
- What a mess in Iowa . The state's Democratic Party issued an update Tuesday morning on the still-delayed caucus results, though it wasn't much of an update. The party pledged to release the results "as soon as possible today," reports Politico . Officials also blamed a "coding...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.