Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Surprise SCOTUS Ruling Hands
Victory to State's Black Voters
Jun 8, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Surprise SCOTUS Ruling Hands Victory to State's Black Voters
Decision orders creation of second Black-majority district in Alabama
- The Supreme Court on Thursday issued a surprising 5-4 ruling in favor of Black voters in a congressional redistricting case, ordering the creation of a second district with a large Black population, per the AP . Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh joined with the court's liberals in...
Request to Testify
Apr 26, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
John Roberts 'Respectfully Declines' Senate Request to Testify
And ignores invitation to have another justice appear in his place
- Chief Justice John Roberts has declined a request from the Senate Judiciary Committee to testify at a hearing next week on ethical standards at the court, instead providing the panel with a statement of ethics reaffirmed by the court's nine justices, the AP reports. Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Dick...
In Year-End Report,
Chief Justice Focuses
on Judicial Security
Jan 2, 2023 5:12 PM CST
In Year-End Report, Chief Justice Focuses on Judicial Security
John Roberts wrote about events in 1957 but didn't mention present-day controversies
- In his annual report on the federal judiciary, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts' main focus was events in 1957, not any of the controversies in a tumultuous year for the nation's top court. Roberts' year-end report looked at the events surrounding US District Judge Ronald N. Davies' efforts...
Nov 1, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
SCOTUS Shields Trump Tax Returns, for Now
Chief Justice John Roberts grants temporary stay; House committee must respond to concerns
It's a temporary win for Donald Trump. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts on Tuesday put a temporary hold on the handover of the former president's federal income tax returns to a congressional committee, the AP reports. The order gives the House Ways and Means Committee until...
Supreme Court Returns With
Historically Low Approval Rating
Oct 2, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Supreme Court Returns With Historically Low Approval Rating
Expect 'a lot of 6-3s,' one analyst says
- Supreme Court justices never have to run for reelection, or even reconfirmation, which works out for them—especially these days: Public approval of the court has plunged to historic lows, a new poll shows. The share of Americans who say they have at least a "fair amount" of trust...
Sep 10, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
John Roberts Defends His Court
Chief justice say critics questioning Supreme Court's legitimacy are making a mistake
- Chief Justice John Roberts defended the authority of the Supreme Court to interpret the Constitution, saying its role should not be called into question just because people disagree with its decisions. When asked to reflect on the last year at the court in his first public appearance since the Supreme...
a Big Fight
in case you missed it
Jul 3, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Conservatives happy about blow to 'administrative state' in EPA decision
- The Supreme Court term that just ended will, of course, go down in history as the one that dismantled Roe v. Wade. But much attention is also being paid to Thursday's decision that weakens the EPA's ability to regulate plant emissions. The reason goes beyond the particulars of...
Roberts: The Court
Didn't Need to Do This
Jun 24, 2022 1:26 PM CDT
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
Chief justice says decision to overturn Roe was 'dramatic' and unnecessary
- In the Mississippi abortion case that led to the overturning of Roe v. Wade , the Supreme Court voted 6-3 to side with the state. But the bigger-picture decision to overturn the 1973 law received the support of only five justices, notes the
Wall Street Journal
. That's because while Chief...
Will John Roberts
Add a 'Twist'
Jun 20, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Will John Roberts Add a 'Twist' to Abortion Decision?
All eyes are on the chief justice, who favors narrow rulings over broad ones
- Is this the week that Roe v. Wade falls? The Supreme Court is poised to release its decision on a Mississippi abortion case that could end the federal right to an abortion. As the world knows, a leaked draft opinion suggests the court's conservative majority is poised to do...
After Protests at Judges'
Homes, Biden Speaks Out
May 9, 2022 2:11 PM CDT
After Protests at Judges' Homes, Biden Speaks Out
They 'must be able to do their jobs without concern for their personal safety'
- President Biden on Monday expressed his support for judges after protesters converged on the private homes of two Supreme Court justices in the DC area over the weekend. "Judges perform an incredibly important function in our society, and they must be able to do their jobs without concern for...
Move to Homes
May 8, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Demonstrations Move to Homes of Justices
Roe supporters take issue to Roberts, Kavanaugh
- Demonstrators met outside the Washington-area homes of Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh over the weekend to voice their opposition to overturning Roe v. Wade. "You don’t get to take away my bodily autonomy and get enjoy your Saturday at home," one protester said. "...
John Roberts Speaks Out
on Supreme Court Leak
May 6, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
John Roberts Speaks Out on Supreme Court Leak
Chief justice calls it 'absolutely appalling'
- Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts went forward with an event Thursday as planned, despite the controversy swirling around the leaked draft opinion showing the high court plans to dismantle Roe v. Wade. Speaking at a meeting of lawyers and judges at the 11th Circuit Judicial Conference, in what was...
Roberts Launches Investigation
Into SCOTUS Leaker
May 3, 2022 11:41 AM CDT
Roberts Launches Investigation Into SCOTUS Leaker
Chief justice confirms draft opinion is authentic but says it is not a final ruling
- Who's the leaker? The Supreme Court is launching an investigation to figure that out after Monday's bombshell disclosure regarding a monumental abortion decision. "This was a singular and egregious breach of that trust that is an affront to the Court," said Chief Justice John Roberts in...
NPR's Supreme Court
Story Takes Another Turn
Jan 21, 2022 11:00 AM CST
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Reporter Nina Totenberg defends it, rejects public editor's clarification
- The saga over an NPR report on the Supreme Court continues. Veteran reporter Nina Totenberg is dismissing criticism from her outlet's public editor about a story Totenberg wrote about justice Neil Gorsuch's decision to forgo a mask while on the bench. Here's how it has unfolded:
Roberts: Courts Don't Need
Ethics Help From Congress
Jan 1, 2022 3:05 PM CST
Roberts: Courts Don't Need Ethics Help From Congress
Chief justice says judiciary needs to solve its problems on its own to stay independent
- There have been ethical lapses by federal judges, Chief Justice John Roberts has conceded. And as a workplace, the court system has not been free of discrimination and harassment, the
reports. But he cited the principle of judicial independence in arguing that courts should be left alone to...
Only 3 Federal
Most in US
Dec 27, 2021 8:18 AM CST
Only 3 Federal Officials Viewed Favorably by Most in US
John Roberts, the Fed's Jerome Powell, and Anthony Fauci
- Gallup put the names of 11 federal officials in front of Americans in a new survey, and only three registered positive ratings from the majority of respondents. The clear No. 1 was Supreme Court Justice John Roberts (60%), followed by Fed chief Jerome Powell (53%) and Dr. Anthony Fauci...
Supreme Court Questions Limits
of New York Gun Law
Nov 3, 2021 5:47 PM CDT
Supreme Court Questions Limits of New York Gun Law
Roberts sounds open to overturning state restrictions
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday seemed ready to strike down a restrictive New York gun permitting law, but the justices also seemed worried that a broad ruling could threaten gun restrictions on subways, bars, stadiums, and other gathering places. The court was hearing arguments in its biggest guns case in...
Supreme Court's Interesting
New Math: 3-3-3
Jun 18, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Supreme Court's Interesting New Math: 3-3-3
The 6-3 conservative majority isn't issuing decisions quite as expected, at least so far
- When Amy Coney Barrett replaced Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court last year, it resulted in what is usually described as a 6-3 advantage for conservatives over liberals on the court. But two big decisions Thursday— one on ObamaCare and the other on a Catholic group that refuses to...
In First Solo Dissent,
Roberts Warns About
'Fighting Over Farthings'
in case you missed it
Mar 13, 2021 4:15 PM CST
In First Solo Dissent, Roberts Warns About 'Fighting Over Farthings'
He says his colleagues are 'turning judges into advice columnists'
- Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts raised eyebrows Monday with his first-ever solo dissent, in which he warned against encouraging litigants to "fight over farthings." Roberts disagreed with the other eight justices, who ruled in favor of reviving a case that had been declared moot by lower courts...
Court Decides Policy Change
Didn't Make $1 Lawsuit Moot
Mar 8, 2021 4:37 PM CST
Court Decides Policy Change Didn't Make $1 Lawsuit Moot
Student stopped from handing out religious material on campus has graduated
- The Supreme Court is reviving a lawsuit brought by a Georgia college student who sued school officials after being prevented from distributing Christian literature on campus. The high court sided 8-1 with the student, Chike Uzuegbunam, and against Georgia Gwinnett College. Uzuegbunam has since graduated, and the public school in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.