Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Rules Against
Ben & Jerry's West Bank Pullout
Aug 23, 2022 2:42 PM CDT
Judge Rules Against Ben & Jerry's West Bank Pullout
Federal judge says company's products can still be sold in occupied territories
- A federal judge on Monday rejected a request by Ben & Jerry’s to block a plan by its corporate parent to allow its products to be sold in east Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank against the wishes of the Vermont ice cream maker's independent board of directors....
Painted in West Bank,
Resurfaces in Israel
Aug 5, 2022 4:11 AM CDT
Long-Lost Banksy, Painted in West Bank, Resurfaces in Israel
Secretive artist painted it on concrete slab in West Bank
- A long-lost painting by the British graffiti artist Banksy has resurfaced in a swank art gallery in downtown Tel Aviv, an hour’s drive and a world away from the concrete wall in the occupied West Bank where it was initially sprayed.The relocation of the painting—which depicts a...
Biden's First Middle East Trip
Raises Some Eyebrows
Jun 14, 2022 8:43 AM CDT
Biden's First Middle East Trip Raises Some Eyebrows
President will meet with Crown Prince Mohammed in Saudi Arabia, which he once called a 'pariah'
- President Biden will make his first trip to the Middle East next month with visits to Israel, the West Bank, and Saudi Arabia, the White House announced Tuesday. The decision to pay a call on Saudi leaders during the July 13-16 trip comes after Biden as a Democratic presidential candidate...
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash
Over Death of Reporter
May 11, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
Al Jazeera, Israel Clash Over Death of Reporter
Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, a US citizen, was killed during Israeli raid in West Bank
- A female journalist for Al Jazeera was shot and killed while covering an Israeli raid in the occupied West Bank town of Jenin early Wednesday. The broadcaster and a reporter who was wounded in the incident blamed Israeli forces, while Israel claimed there was evidence the two were hit by...
Israel Faces a
'New Wave of Terror'
Mar 30, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
Israel Faces a 'New Wave of Terror'
Gunman kills 5, including a police officer, in 3rd attack in a week
- "We are dealing with a new wave of terror," Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Tuesday after a gunman on a motorcycle killed five people with an assault rifle in a suburb of Tel Aviv. Police said they shot and killed the shooter—identified as Diaa Hamarsheh, a...
Israel PM: Ben & Jerry's Will
Face 'Serious Consequences'
Jul 20, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Israel PM: Ben & Jerry's Will Face 'Serious Consequences'
Naftali Bennett promises to 'act aggressively' against boycott actions
- Israel's prime minister has warned Ben & Jerry's that there will be "serious consequences, legal and otherwise" for its decision to ban sales of its ice cream in what the company calls "Occupied Palestinian Territory." Naftali Bennett said Tuesday that Israel "will act aggressively...
Ben & Jerry's Announces
Withdrawal From West Bank
Jul 19, 2021 6:35 PM CDT
Ben & Jerry's Announces Withdrawal From West Bank
Company says its ice cream won't be sold in 'Occupied Palestinian Territory'
- An announcement from Ben & Jerry's on Monday got a very frosty reception in Israel. The Vermont-based company said in a statement that it will no longer allow its ice cream to be sold in the "Occupied Palestinian Territory"—the West Bank and east Jerusalem—because the...
A Big US
First in Israel,
and a 'Major
Nov 19, 2020 9:10 AM CST
A Big US First in Israel, and a 'Major Policy Shift'
Mike Pompeo is first US diplomat to visit Israeli settlement in occupied West Bank
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday became the first top US diplomat to visit an Israeli settlement in the occupied West Bank as the State Department announced that products from the settlements can be labeled "Made in Israel" in a major policy shift. The two moves reflected the...
Shouldn't Have Aired
Jan 14, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Producers: Bethlehem Question Shouldn't Have Aired
They say wrong version of game show was sent to TV stations
- Producers of the game show
have apologized for a clue that waded into political hot water involving Israeli control of the West Bank, saying an incorrect version of the show was sent to television stations, the AP reports. A game shown last Friday asked contestants to identify the location...
Netanyahu: If Elected, I'll
Annex 'All the Settlements'
Sep 16, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
Netanyahu: If Elected, I'll Annex 'All the Settlements'
Israeli PM is fighting for political survival
- Israel's prime minister is vowing to annex settlements in the West Bank, including one deep in the heart of the largest Palestinian city, if he is re-elected in Tuesday's do-over election. Benjamin Netanyahu told Israeli Army Radio on Monday that he plans to annex "all the settlements"...
Apr 6, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
Netanyahu Makes Stunning Vow on Settlements
Israel's prime minister offers dramatic policy shift
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pledged Saturday to annex Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank if re-elected, a dramatic policy shift apparently aimed at rallying his nationalist base in the final stretch of the tight race, the AP reports. Netanyahu has promoted Jewish settlement expansion in his four terms...
Mar 4, 2019 2:57 AM CST
US Closes Jerusalem Consulate, Angers Palestinians
It served as de facto embassy to Palestinians
- The United States has officially shuttered its consulate in Jerusalem, downgrading the status of its main diplomatic mission to the Palestinians by folding it into the US Embassy to Israel. For decades, the consulate functioned as a de facto embassy to the Palestinians. Now, that outreach will be handled by...
Israeli Teens Arrested in
Stoning Death of Palestinian
Jan 7, 2019 2:06 AM CST
Israeli Teens Arrested in Stoning Death of Palestinian
5 accused of 'serious terror offenses'
- Five Jewish teenagers have been arrested in connection with "serious terror offenses," including the stoning death of a Palestinian woman in October, Israeli authorities revealed after a news blackout was lifted over the weekend. The Shin Bet security agency says the five, who were detained a week ago,...
After Drive-By Dies
Dec 12, 2018 5:04 PM CST
Baby Delivered Prematurely After Drive-By Dies
Israeli forces killed the Palestinian suspect in the West Bank shooting Wednesday
- A drive-by shooting at a West Bank bus stop Sunday night led to the premature birth of a baby, who died Wednesday, hours before a Palestinian suspected in the attack was killed by Israeli forces. Salah Barghouti, 29, was allegedly among assailants in a vehicle that opened fire outside a...
Israel Charges 16-Year-Old
Filmed Slapping Soldier
Jan 2, 2018 2:32 AM CST
Israel Charges 16-Year-Old Filmed Slapping Soldier
Palestinian girl's father says it's a 'political trial'
- A 16-year-old girl hailed as a hero by Palestinians for slapping and pushing Israeli soldiers was indicted Monday on 12 charges, including aggravated assault. In a Dec. 15 video that went viral, Ahed Tamimi; her mother, Nariman Tamimi; and 21-year-old cousin Nur Tamimi confronted the soldiers outside their family home...
Security Forces Clash
With Santas in Bethlehem
Dec 24, 2017 10:08 AM CST
Security Forces Clash With Santas in Bethlehem
Christians join protest against Jerusalem move
- Peace on earth and goodwill once again seem to be in short supply in Bethlehem, where Palestinian protesters dressed as Santa Claus clashed with Israeli security forces in the historical birthplace of Jesus Saturday. Israeli soldiers used tear gas and stun grenades to push back the Santas, who were protesting...
'Day of Rage'
Dec 8, 2017 10:10 AM CST
Jerusalem Decision Triggers 'Day of Rage'
At least one dead in protests over Trump's decision to recognize city as Israeli capital
- Palestinians angry over President Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital clashed with Israeli troops at 30 locations across the West Bank and Gaza on Friday, resulting in at least one death, reports the AP . One Palestinian was killed in skirmishes between protesters and Israeli troops along the...
UNESCO List Gets New Sites,
Cries of Anti-Semitism Follow
Jul 7, 2017 8:51 AM CDT
UNESCO List Gets New Sites, Cries of Anti-Semitism Follow
Statement follows decision recognizing Palestinian site
- The West Bank city of Hebron's Old Town, as well a religious site it houses, were added to the UNESCO list of world heritage in danger in a 12-3 decision in Poland on Friday, drawing praise from Palestinians and outrage from Israelis. Israel, which claims Hebron as the birthplace...
Why Trump Won't Refer to
Concert Attacker as 'Monster'
May 23, 2017 6:10 AM CDT
Why Trump Won't Refer to Concert Attacker as 'Monster'
'They would like that term'
- President Trump visited the West Bank city of Bethlehem Tuesday, where he condemned the "losers" behind Monday night's horrific terrorist attack in Manchester . "So many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life. I won't call them monsters because...
Hotel Offers 'Worst View'
Outside, Banksy Inside
Mar 3, 2017 9:20 AM CST
Hotel Offers 'Worst View' Outside, Banksy Inside
You can sleep under his artwork in West Bank Hotel
- A Palestinian guest house packed with artwork of the elusive British graffiti artist Banksy unveiled itself Friday in the West Bank city of Bethlehem. The nine-room establishment named "The Walled Off Hotel" will officially open on March 11, but reporters got an advance tour, per the AP . The hotel,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.