Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
4th Person Found
Dead, 2 Still
Nov 27, 2023 12:30 AM CST
4th Person Found Dead, 2 Still Missing After Landslide
Landslide ripped through remote Alaska fishing community
- Authorities recovered the body of an 11-year-old girl Saturday evening from the debris of a landslide in southeast Alaska that tore down a wooded mountainside days earlier, smashing into homes in a remote fishing village, the AP reports. The girl, Kara Heller, was the fourth person confirmed killed by last...
Alaska Landslide Kills Girl,
Leaves 5 People Missing
Nov 21, 2023 6:30 PM CST
Alaska Landslide Kills Girl, Leaves 5 People Missing
A woman was injured when houses near Wrangell were hit
This file has been updated with information about the victims.
Five people are missing after a landslide near the Alaskan city of Wrangell killed a girl and injured a woman, per the AP . No information about either of them was immediately released. The slide, estimated at 450 feet wide, occurred...
Anchorage Sees a
Wild Amount of Snow
Nov 15, 2023 12:30 PM CST
Anchorage Sees a Wild Amount of Snow
Meanwhile, Brazilians swelter
- Anchorage, Alaska, is just an inch of snow away from breaking the November snowfall record of 38.8 inches, reports CNN . All that snow fell in just nine days, reports the AP ; that's the third-most snow the city has seen over a sustained period since record-keeping began in 1916....
This Humpback Whale
Got a Much-Needed Rescue
Nov 6, 2023 10:35 AM CST
This Humpback Whale Got a Much-Needed Rescue
'Hog-tied' juvenile in Alaska had gotten caught up in a 300lb crab pot, and lines
- When Alaska fishermen dropped a 300lb crab pot in the waters close to Glacier Bay National Park, they were probably hoping to catch, well, crabs. What they got instead was a much bigger catch—though not in a good way. As NPR reports, the crab pot and its lines got...
10B Alaskan Snow Crabs
Vanished. We Now Know Why
Oct 28, 2023 3:21 PM CDT
10B Alaskan Snow Crabs Vanished. We Now Know Why
Study blames marine heat waves in Bering Sea off the coast of Alaska
- An astounding number of Alaskan snow crabs disappeared from the Bering Sea over the last several years, and scientists say they've finally discovered why. A new paper published in
blames marine heat waves in 2018 and 2019 for the decimation of 90% of the snow crab population through...
Struggling Deer Get Ride
in Alaska Troopers' Boat
Oct 18, 2023 3:24 PM CDT
Struggling Deer Get Ride in Alaska Troopers' Boat
They were in 'rough shape' 4 miles from shore
- Two deer struggling in the waters of southeast Alaska's famed Inside Passage finally made it to land, thanks to two Alaska Wildlife Troopers who gave the deer a lift in their boat. Sgt. Mark Finses and trooper Kyle Feuge were returning from a patrol in nearby Ernest Sound to...
$1.3K Oil Check—
but It's Complicated
Oct 7, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
Alaskans Get $1.3K Oil Check— but It's Complicated
Many residents need the money, but so do the state's social services
- Nearly every Alaskan will receive a $1,312 check starting this week, their annual share from the earnings of the state's nest-egg oil fund. As the AP reports, some use the money for extras like tropical vacations, but others—particularly in high-cost rural Alaska where jobs and housing are...
2 Soldiers Dead After
Truck Flips in Alaska
Oct 3, 2023 8:11 AM CDT
2 Soldiers Dead After Truck Flips in Alaska
Accident near Salcha also left a dozen Army troops injured
- Two US soldiers were killed and a dozen injured when the transport truck they were traveling in flipped near Salcha, Alaska, according to US Army Alaska. Officials with the 11th Airborne Division of Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson say at least 17 soldiers were in the LMTV (light medium tactical vehicle) Monday,...
Krispy Kreme Delivery Van
Gets Some Surprise Raiders
Sep 19, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
Krispy Kreme Delivery Van Gets Some Surprise Raiders
Mama bear and cub bust into vehicle outside military base in Anchorage for some doughnuts
- A mama bear and her cub went a little
on some doughnuts in Anchorage last week. Candice Sergeant, the manager of a Krispy Kreme store in the Alaskan city's Muldoon neighborhood, tells CBS Chicago that she was working her shift last Tuesday when she got an "...
Piloted Doomed Plane
Sep 14, 2023 8:18 AM CDT
Congresswoman's Husband Piloted Doomed Plane
It took rescuers hours to reach crash site in Alaska where Buzzy Peltola died
- Rep. Mary Peltola's husband, commercial pilot Eugene "Buzzy" Peltola Jr., had just dropped off a hunter in a remote area of Alaska when he took to the sky only to crash . The single-engine Piper PA-18 Super Cub he was flying crashed in mountainous terrain 64 miles northeast of...
Husband Dies in Plane Crash
Sep 13, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Alaska Congresswoman's Husband Dies in Plane Crash
Democrat Mary Peltola is state's sole US House rep
- Mary Peltola—Alaska's sole representative in the US House of Representatives—lost her husband early Wednesday following a plane crash, her office said in a statement posted to X . It described Eugene Peltola, the former regional director of the Bureau of Indian Affairs for Alaska, as "one of...
Alaskan Hiker Rescued
Thanks to Wildlife Cam
Sep 12, 2023 2:56 PM CDT
Alaskan Hiker Rescued Thanks to Wildlife Cam
Observers alerted rangers in Katmai National Park to hiker asking for help
- A hiker in remote Alaska used his wits to summon help in rough weather. As NPR reports, the unidentified man showed up on the live-stream of a wildlife camera on Dumpling Mountain in Katmai National Park. He approached the camera twice, once to mouth the words "help me" and...
2 Miles Deep in the Ocean,
a 'Delightfully Strange Find'
Sep 9, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
2 Miles Deep in the Ocean, a 'Delightfully Strange Find'
'It's like the beginning of a horror movie,' one scientist said of odd 'golden egg' found off Alaska
- An underwater mission in the Gulf of Alaska to explore deep-sea habitats led researchers to make an unexpected discovery: a strange gold-colored orb submerged 2 miles deep on the ocean floor. Per the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration , the find was made Aug. 30 when the Okeanos Explorer found, "...
Biden Yanks Alaska Oil Leases
Sep 7, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
Biden Yanks Alaska Oil Leases
'We have a responsibility,' president says of Interior Dept. move in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- As then-President Trump's days in the White House came to a close, an Alaskan state development agency was granted a slew of oil and gas leases that ended decades of a drilling moratorium in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. This week, President Biden's Department of the Interior nixed...
Drivers in This State Are
the Most Confrontational
Sep 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Drivers in This State Are the Most Confrontational
Arizona tops Forbes Advisor's list of those with the most road rage
- Road rage: Most of us have dealt with it, in one form or another. Those different forms—cutting people off, not letting others change lanes, honking the horn, and flipping the bird, just to name a few—are what Forbes Advisor included in its attempt to determine which states have...
Give a High-Five to Our
Aug 28, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Give a High-Five to Our Hardest-Working State
North Dakota comes in at No. 1 on WalletHub's rankings, while New Mexico brings up the rear
- Compared to workers in other countries, Americans are known for balking at taking too much vacation time, either because their employer doesn't offer that many paid days off or because workers feel they can't miss too many days without negative repercussions. The positive side of that coin is...
Alaska Lists Names, Data on
280 Missing Indigenous People
Aug 28, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
Alaska Lists Names, Data on 280 Missing Indigenous People
Report is first broad effort to understand disappearances of Alaska Natives and American Indians
- Law enforcement has prepared a first-of-its-kind report detailing missing Alaska Natives and American Indian people in Alaska. The Alaska Department of Public Safety last week released the Missing Indigenous Persons Report, which includes the names of 280 people, dates of their last contact, and whether police believe the disappearance was...
After 8 Days, Missing Pair
Found Near Alaska Resort
Aug 19, 2023 9:48 AM CDT
After 8 Days, Missing Pair Found Near Alaska Resort
Visitors from Tennessee had last been seen hiking in area on Aug. 10
- Two people from Tennessee who had been missing for more than a week were found alive Friday near the resort where they were last seen. Alaska State Troopers say 50-year-old Jonas Bare was found by hikers 200 yards from the Chena Hot Springs Resort, around 60 miles northeast of Fairbanks,...
Cops: Soldier Killed Wife,
Reported Her Missing
Aug 14, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Cops: Soldier Killed Wife, Reported Her Missing
Zarrius Hildabrand joined scores of people in Anchorage search
- A 21-year-old soldier in Alaska allegedly killed his wife and hid her body before reporting her missing. Zarrius Hildabrand faces charges including first-degree murder and tampering with evidence in the death of Saria Hildabrand, a 21-year-old medic with the Alaska National Guard, NBC News reports. He appeared in court on...
In Alaska, a Big Tourist Draw
Is Turning Into a Threat
Aug 7, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
In Alaska, a Big Tourist Draw Is Turning Into a Threat
Record flooding related to Mendenhall Glacier hits capital city of Juneau
- Three words no Alaskan wants to hear strung together: "record glacier flooding." But that's the current reality for residents of the capital city of Juneau, thanks to a famous glacier that sits above the city, reports Axios . The
frames the big picture after the weekend...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Mama June's Oldest Daughter Dead at 29
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.