Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Polar Bear Attacked,
Jan 20, 2023 1:15 AM CST
As Polar Bear Attacked, Principal Shielded Kids' View
More details about the tragedy in Alaska have been revealed
- Summer Myomick bundled her baby against the freezing winds whipping off the Bering Sea and stepped outside into a blur of blowing snow. It was a short walk from the school where she had visited relatives to the health clinic about 150 yards away, but the young mother could hardly...
Mother, Son Die in
Rare Polar Bear Attack
Jan 19, 2023 1:29 AM CST
Mother, Son Die in Rare Polar Bear Attack
Fatal polar bear mauling took place in isolated town of Wales
- It was a 24-year-old mother and her 1-year-old son who were killed in a rare polar bear attack in a small, remote Alaska Native whaling village Tuesday. Authorities identified the victims as Summer Myomick, who split her time between Wales, where the attack took place, and Saint Michael; and her...
Man Killed by Muskox as
He Defends Dog Kennel
Dec 14, 2022 3:15 AM CST
Man Killed by Muskox as He Defends Dog Kennel
Alaska man mourned by the law enforcement community
- As he tried to shoo a group of muskox away from a dog kennel at his home near Nome, Alaska, on Tuesday, Curtis Worland was fatally attacked by one of the large animals. Worland, who had worked as a court services officer with the Alaska State Troopers since 2009, was...
Peltola Wins Full Term,
Again Defeating Palin
Nov 23, 2022 8:25 PM CST
Peltola Wins Full Term, Again Defeating Palin
'Now, I'm a real congressman for all Alaska,' Democrat says in homage to Don Young
- US Rep. Mary Peltola has been elected to a full term in the House, months after the Alaska Democrat won a special election to the seat following the death this year of longtime Republican Rep. Don Young. Peltola defeated Republicans Sarah Palin and Nick Begich and Libertarian Chris Bye in...
Nov 23, 2022 7:10 PM CST
Alaska Reelects Governor
Mike Dunleavy stayed mostly out of sight during campaign
- Alaska has reelected Gov. Mike Dunleavy, in a result declared final Wednesday. Just over half of the first-choice vote went to the Republican incumbent, the
Anchorage Daily News
reports, so the governor's race did not go to ranked choice voting. It's the first time since 1998 that Alaska'...
Nov 23, 2022 12:59 PM CST
Homeowners Find Moose Trapped in Basement
Young moose fell through window well at Alaska home
- Firefighters in Alaska say a young moose was returned to the wild happy and healthy after an unusual rescue over the weekend. The moose was carried out of a home in Soldotna, around 150 miles southwest of Anchorage, after it fell into the basement through a window well, Fox reports....
Oct 27, 2022 1:06 PM CDT
This Bird's Record Flight 'Stretches the Imagination'
Bar-tailed godwit flew 8,435 miles nonstop from Alaska to Australia in 11 days, one hour
- You can imagine how grueling a drive from New York City to Alaska must be. Now picture arriving at your destination in the Last Frontier, then immediately turning around and heading right back to the Big Apple—all without a second driver or stops for food, drink, or bathroom breaks....
Crab Season Is Axed, but
Will Go On
Oct 19, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Crab Season Is Axed, but
Will Go On
Producers say captains will seek other catches
- The snow crab season in Alaska has been canceled but producers say the move won't scuttle hit Discovery reality show
, which is now in its 18th season. Producers say the show's 19th season will involve other, presumably less deadly, catches. "Fans can anticipate another great...
Alaska Makes Costly Decision
to Cancel Snow Crab Season
Oct 15, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Alaska Makes Costly Decision to Cancel Snow Crab Season
Officials wants to give falling population a chance to recover
- There will be no winter snow crab season in the Bering Sea this year, Alaskan agencies have announced, blaming the plunging crustacean population. The decision deals a major financial blow to crews, the industry, and the state's economy as a whole, CNBC reports. "It's going to be...
Russians Detained After
Sailing to Alaska Island
Oct 6, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Russians Detained After Sailing to Alaska Island
Villagers said Russian citizens told them they were fleeing military
- Two Russian citizens who arrived on an Alaskan island in a small boat Tuesday morning are now in federal custody. St. Lawrence Island is one of the places Sarah Palin was talking about when she said you can see Russia from Alaska—it's less than 40 miles away from...
Alaska Faces 'Epidemic
of Deadly Violence
Sep 22, 2022 6:10 PM CDT
Alaska Faces 'Epidemic of Deadly Violence Against Women'
State has country's highest rate of women killed by men for 7th year in a row
- Alaska is once again at the top of a grim list. The Violence Policy Center says the state is "experiencing a prolonged epidemic of deadly violence against women" and, for the seventh year in a row, has America's highest homicide rate for "female victims killed by male...
Nearly Every Alaska Resident
Just Got a $3K Windfall
Sep 21, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
Nearly Every Alaska Resident Just Got a $3K Windfall
It was the highest-ever of the state's annual oil-wealth payouts
- Nearly every single Alaskan got a financial windfall amounting to more than $3,000 Tuesday, the day the state began distributing payments from Alaska’s investment fund that has been seeded with money from the state’s oil riches, the AP reports. The payments, officially called the Permanent Fund Dividend...
'Strongest Storm in Over a
Decade' Set to Slam Alaska
Sep 16, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
'Strongest Storm in Over a Decade' Set to Slam Alaska
Remnants of Typhoon Merbok to wreak havoc on state's western coast this weekend
- There may be only remnants of Typhoon Merbok moving toward Alaska's western coastline, but that doesn't mean the weather there won't pack a punch when it hits land. In fact, forecasters are calling the storm set to slam the Last Frontier on Friday "the strongest storm...
Sep 1, 2022 2:05 AM CDT
Alaska Makes Historic Pick Over Palin
Mary Peltola, a Democrat, will be the first Alaska Native the state has sent to the House
- Democrat Mary Peltola won the special election for Alaska's only US House seat on Wednesday, besting a field that included Republican Sarah Palin, who was seeking a political comeback in the state where she was once governor. Peltola, who is Yup’ik and turned 49 on Wednesday, will become...
Her Alaskan Election Surprise
May Lead to History
Aug 18, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
Democrat Mary Peltola has a decent chance to become first Alaska Native in Congress
- One of the bigger surprises from this week's primary voting came out of Alaska , where Democrat Mary Peltola leads Sarah Palin and a slew of other Republicans in the race to be the state's lone member of Congress. The seat is vacant because of the death of Republican...
Cemented a New GOP
Aug 17, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Tuesday's Primaries Cemented a New GOP
Cheney vows to continue fighting 'against those who would destroy our republic'
- Liz Cheney knew she was fighting a losing battle. Had she cozied up to Donald Trump, she might have easily won her Wyoming primary on Tuesday instead of losing handily (she had 29% support to Harriet Hageman's 66%, with 99% of expected votes counted, per the
Murkowski and Palin
Advance in Alaska Primary
Aug 17, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Murkowski and Palin Advance in Alaska Primary
This year marks the state's first use of ranked-choice voting
- Alaska Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski advanced from her primary along with Kelly Tshibaka, her GOP rival endorsed by former President Trump, while another Trump-backed Republican, Sarah Palin, was among the candidates bound for the November general election in the race for Alaska's only House seat. Per the AP , Murkowski...
3 Big Names
on Ballot, Plus
One That Isn't
Aug 16, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Primary Day: 3 Big Names on Ballot, Plus One That Isn't
Liz Cheney, Sarah Palin, and Lisa Murkowski fight to move on, all with fates tied to Donald Trump
- Pretty much all the focus in Tuesday's primary schedule is on three high-profile names—Liz Cheney, Lisa Murkowski, and Sarah Palin—all of whom have a strong connection to former President Trump. Here's the latest on the contests out of Wyoming and Alaska:
The sentiment about the
Aug 15, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
On Primary Eve, Different Outlooks for Cheney, Murkowski
Both GOPers have been strong Trump critics, but Murkowski's prospects look better than Cheney's
- They hail from their states' most prominent Republican families. They've been among the GOP's sharpest critics of former President Trump. And after the Jan. 6 insurrection, they supported his impeachment. But for all their similarities, the political fortunes of US Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and US Rep....
In This Remote Part of US,
Amazon Prime Is a Food Tool
Jul 31, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
In This Remote Part of US, Amazon Prime Is a Food Tool
Eater takes a look at meal planning in the Alaskan bush
- Supply shortages and high prices since the start of the pandemic have forced many Americans to alter their spending and consumption habits. Those same economic forces also hit communities in the remote Alaskan Bush, but that’s nothing new up there. According to Bree Kessler, writing for Eater, people in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
CEO Sorry for 'All Time Classic Bad' Layoff Memo
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.