Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
R. Kelly Found Guilty on
Multiple Counts in Chicago
Sep 14, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
R. Kelly Found Guilty on Multiple Counts in Chicago
Jury convicts him on child pornography, enticement counts
- Disgraced, imprisoned R&B star R. Kelly has been found guilty on six out of 13 charges at his federal trial in Chicago and is now facing deeper disgrace and a longer prison sentence. The jury found Kelly guilty of three counts of sexual exploitation of a child via production...
R. Kelly Lawyer Likens
Evidence to 'Cockroaches'
Sep 13, 2022 6:19 PM CDT
R. Kelly Lawyer Likens Evidence to 'Cockroaches'
Jury in Chicago trial begins deliberations
- Jurors began deliberating Tuesday at R. Kelly's federal trial in Chicago, sorting through a month of evidence and arguments to decide verdicts on charges accusing the singer of producing child pornography, enticing minors for sex, and successfully rigging his 2008 child porn trial. A day after prosecutors delivered their...
R. Kelly Juror Has Panic Attack
Sep 13, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
R. Kelly Juror Has Panic Attack
Juror is excused after closing argument incident
- Four hours into closing arguments in the R. Kelly trial Monday, a juror had a panic attack and was excused by the judge and replaced with an alternate. "I’ve been advised she said she can’t go on one minute more," said the judge before replacing Juror...
Prosecution Rests Its
Case Against R. Kelly
Aug 30, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Prosecution Rests Its Case Against R. Kelly
Fourth accuser took the stand Tuesday
- Prosecutors rested their case Tuesday at R. Kelly’s federal trial in Chicago after presenting two weeks of evidence and testimony from four Kelly accusers in their bid to prove the singer enticed underage girls for sex, produced child pornography, and successfully rigged his 2008 state trial. Among the last...
Witness: Kelly Was Desperate
to Recover Lost Sex Tape
Aug 23, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Witness: Kelly Was Desperate to Recover Lost Sex Tape
He says singer offered $1M for return of tape that could send him to prison
- A former merchandizing agent for R. Kelly testified Tuesday that the singer offered him $1 million to find a VHS tape featuring Kelly. Prosecutors sought persuade jurors that Kelly was desperate to recover the missing recording, knowing it could land him in legal peril if it fell into the hands...
R. Kelly's 'Goddaughter'
Tells a Damning Tale
Aug 18, 2022 4:06 PM CDT
R. Kelly's 'Goddaughter' Tells a Damning Tale
Woman says singer had sex with her 'hundreds' of times when she was underage
- A woman who has been central to R. Kelly’s legal troubles for more than two decades testified Thursday that the R&B singer had sex with her “hundreds” of times before she turned 18 years old, starting when she was 15, per the AP . Jane—the pseudonym for...
R. Kelly Is on Trial Again
Aug 15, 2022 1:38 PM CDT
R. Kelly Is on Trial Again
New federal trial could add decades to his sentence
- R. Kelly is back in Chicago but it's not exactly a triumphant homecoming for the R&B star. Kelly, who was sentenced to 30 years in prison in a federal sex abuse case in June, is back in his hometown for another federal trial that could add decades to...
R. Kelly's Manager Convicted
of Phoning in Threat to Theater
Jul 22, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
R. Kelly's Manager Convicted of Phoning in Threat to Theater
Donnell Russell was accused of attempting to protect singer with unusual strategy
: Donnell Russell, the manager of convicted singer R. Kelly, was found guilty Friday of making a threat by phone to prevent the showing of a film about his client. A jury convicted Russell of threatening physical harm through interstate communication, the AP reports. He was cleared on a conspiracy...
One of R. Kelly's Alleged Victims
Tells Court: We're Engaged
Jul 12, 2022 1:48 AM CDT
One of R. Kelly's Alleged Victims Tells Court: We're Engaged
Joycelyn Savage's family isn't sure they believe it
- A strange twist in the R. Kelly sex trafficking scandal: One of the singer's alleged victims says the two are engaged. In a letter written to the judge in the case, asking for Kelly to be given a lenient sentence, 26-year-old Joycelyn Savage describes herself as Kelly's fiance...
Put on Suicide Watch,
R. Kelly Sues
Jul 2, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Put on Suicide Watch, R. Kelly Sues
Lawyer calls treatment by detention center 'purely punitive'
- R. Kelly has begun his 30-year prison sentence on suicide watch, and he's gone to court to change that. Jennifer Bonjean, a lawyer for Kelly, said the suicide watch at Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn was imposed for "purely punitive reasons," NBC News reports. "MDC Brooklyn...
R. Kelly to 30 Years in Prison
Jun 29, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
Judge Sentences R. Kelly to 30 Years in Prison
Prosecutors sought a minimum 25-year term
- R& B star R. Kelly was found guilty of racketeering and other counts last year at a trial that was seen as a signature moment in the #MeToo movement. Now, his fate: US District Judge Ann Donnelly on Wednesday sentenced the 55-year-old to 30 years in prison, reports the AP...
a Second Trial
Oct 21, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
R. Kelly Now Facing a Second Trial
He was temporarily put on suicide watch after his conviction
- A federal judge on Wednesday ordered R&B superstar R. Kelly to stand trial in Chicago on child pornography and obstruction of justice charges next year after the scheduled sentencing for his conviction in an earlier sex trafficking trial in New York, per the AP . US District Judge Harry Leinenweber...
R. Kelly Case Reveals
a Disturbing Truth
Sep 28, 2021 8:52 AM CDT
R. Kelly Case Reveals a Disturbing Truth
When victims are Black women and girls, justice often comes late or not at all
- In the wake of R. Kelly's conviction as a sexual predator , one question is common in the assessments: What took so long? Accusations first surfaced decades ago, and somehow Robert Sylvester Kelly kept going. At the
, Jim DeRogatis (whose reporting helped break the case ) suggests the...
Attorney: R. Kelly Is the
Worst Predator I've Pursued
Sep 27, 2021 5:24 PM CDT
Attorney: R. Kelly Is the Worst Predator I've Pursued
Verdict marks the music industry's biggest conviction of MeToo era
- Some 13 years after he was acquitted on child pornography charges, a federal jury has found R. Kelly guilty on all counts , including sex trafficking and sexual exploitation of a child. The 54-year-old R&B star could now face decades in prison. "This is by far the highest-profile, post-#MeToo...
Jury Finds R. Kelly
Guilty on All Counts
Sep 27, 2021 2:42 PM CDT
Jury Finds R. Kelly Guilty on All Counts
He faces 10 years to life in prison
- R. Kelly, the R&B superstar known for his anthem "I Believe I Can Fly," was convicted Monday in a sex trafficking trial after decades of avoiding criminal responsibility for numerous allegations of misconduct with young women and children. A jury of seven men and five women found...
in R. Kelly Trial
Sep 24, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Jury Deliberates in R. Kelly Trial
Accusers stayed for the 'lavish lifestyle,' defense says, while prosecutor calls him a predator
- R. Kelly's fate is now in a jury's hands, after weeks of lurid testimony in his sexual misconduct trial. A jury of seven men and five women began deliberating racketeering and sex-trafficking charges against the R&B superstar Friday, the AP reports. Prosecutors and defense attorneys finished their...
R. Kelly's Lawyer Likens His
Fight to Martin Luther King Jr's
Sep 24, 2021 3:36 AM CDT
R. Kelly's Lawyer Likens His Fight to Martin Luther King Jr's
'NYT' points out singer's legal woes are far from over
- As far as closing arguments go, it was a comparison that got attention if nothing else. After a six-week sex-trafficking trial, a lawyer for R. Kelly wrapped things up by comparing his client to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on Thursday. The BBC reports attorney Deveraux Cannick explained Kelly led...
R. Kelly Declines
to Testify at Trial
Sep 22, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
R. Kelly Declines to Testify at Trial
Closing arguments begin in sex-trafficking trial
- A prosecutor began closing arguments in the R. Kelly sex trafficking trial Wednesday by telling jurors that the government had delivered on its promises to prove that the R&B singer had for years commanded close associates to help him target, groom and exploit girls, boys, and young women for...
R. Kelly's Defense Team
Now Has a Tall Challenge
Sep 20, 2021 2:09 PM CDT
R. Kelly's Defense Team Now Has a Tall Challenge
Prosecution rests its case after calling dozens of witnesses who described abuse
- Prosecutors at the R. Kelly sex trafficking trial ended their case Monday after calling dozens of witnesses over the past month who detailed the government’s sweeping allegations against the singer in lurid detail. Several women and two men who were in the 54-year-old Kelly's orbit testified about how...
Witness: I Accidentally Saw
R. Kelly Abusing Aaliyah
Sep 14, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Witness: I Accidentally Saw R. Kelly Abusing Aaliyah
Accuser says she witnessed incident in 1993, when Aaliyah would've been just 13 or 14
- Two weeks into the criminal trial of Robert Sylvester Kelly (aka R. Kelly), a half-dozen accusers have alleged that the singer had sex with them while they were minors. One story, however, is now drawing extra attention: that of a woman known as Angela, who's so far the only...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.