Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ukraine to Get Coveted F-16s
Aug 20, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Ukraine to Get Coveted F-16s
US had backed transfer once pilots are trained
- President Volodymyr Zelensky has long been calling for Western nations to supply his armed forces with F-16 fighter jets, a plea that has become more urgent as Russian air dominance has slowed Ukraine's counteroffensive . On Sunday, Zelensky visited the Netherlands and Denmark to receive the promise of the fighters...
Tugs Tow Burning Cargo Ship
Aug 1, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Tugs Tow Burning Cargo Ship
Salvage crews ready to board 'as soon as possible' to assess the situation in North Sea
- A cargo ship carrying thousands of cars that has been burning on the North Sea for nearly a week was towed Monday to a new location further from the Dutch coast to wait for salvage crews to decide their next steps, the government said. The Fremantle Highway arrived earlier than...
Scores a First
Jul 10, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
Miss Netherlands Scores a First
Rikkie Valerie Kolle is the first trans woman with the crown and will compete for Miss Universe
- Here she is—Miss Netherlands. And for the first time, Miss Netherlands is a transgender woman. With her new crown, Rikkie Valerie Kolle will be the second trans woman to compete for the title of Miss Universe later this year, NPR reports. Kolle is looking to support young women and...
Jul 7, 2023 5:06 PM CDT
Immigration Clash Brings Down Dutch Government
Parties in Mark Rutte's coalition can't agree on steps to limit number of people seeking asylum
- Mark Rutte, the Netherlands' longest-serving prime minister, announced his resignation, and that of his Cabinet members, on Friday. His ruling coalition was undone by its inability to reach agreement on how to limit the number of immigrants seeking asylum in the country,
the New York Times
reports. "It is...
An Emotional King Apologizes
for Dutch Role in Slave Trade
Jul 2, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
An Emotional King Apologizes for Dutch Role in Slave Trade
King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands' ancestors got very rich off the trade
- King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands apologized Saturday for his country's role in slavery and asked for forgiveness during a historic speech greeted by cheers and whoops at an event to commemorate the anniversary of the abolition of slavery in Dutch colonies, per the AP . The king's speech followed...
'For the Kremlin'
May 4, 2023 11:50 AM CDT
Drones Marked 'For the Kremlin' Attack Ukraine
Meanwhile, the ICC raises Ukrainian flag as President Zelensky visits The Hague
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was in the Netherlands on Thursday for a surprise visit to the city that's home to the International Criminal Court, which has issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin. Zelensky's visit to The Hague, which hosts the ICC and the United Nations'...
for Nazi Treasure
Comes to a Halt
May 2, 2023 11:51 AM CDT
'Digging Frenzy' for Nazi Treasure Comes to a Halt
Search for jewels, gold, silver rumored to be buried near tree in Dutch town of Ommeren is called off
- The "digging frenzy" is over. A treasure hunt near the Dutch village of Ommeren, prompted by the release of a map that purported to show where Nazi soldiers had buried $20 million worth of loot, has been called off, per Dutch News . A number of digs looking for the...
Donor' to Close
Apr 29, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Court Orders 'Serial Sperm Donor' to Close Up Shop
Jonathan Jacob Meijer barred by Dutch court from offering his samples to any other potential parents
- It's time for the man who may be the Netherlands' most prolific sperm donor to pack it in. So said The Hague District Court on Friday in barring "Jonathan M."—previously IDed as Jonathan Jacob Meijer—from donating any more of his samples to prospective parents,...
Young British Men
to Bugger Off
Mar 29, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Amsterdam Tells Young British Men to Bugger Off
Ads warn young men against misbehaving in the city working to reframe its image
- Amsterdam is taking efforts to scrub away its party image to a new level, with ads suggesting it won't tolerate those descending on the city for a wild weekend. "Coming to Amsterdam for a messy night? Stay away," states an online ad showing a young man stumbling...
May Be Cursing
Mar 26, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Dutch Train Passengers May Be Cursing Badgers
Burrowing animals cause serious delays in railway travel
- Badgers burrowing under rail tracks have halted trains in the northern and southern Netherlands, forcing lengthy cancellations on at least two lines. All trains were halted Tuesday afternoon on a busy line between the southern cities of Den Bosch and Boxtel after the animals dug into a dike carrying rails....
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Mar 20, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Nation on Earth
The honors go to Finland, per annual World Happiness Report; US comes in 15th
- It may be cold in the Nordic countries, but residents' hearts are warm. At least, that's what the 10th annual World Happiness Report found during this year's ranking of 137 nations. Per the Verge , the report—which uses study data and self-assessed life evaluations—found that we've...
Holocaust Survey Returns
'Downright Shocking' Results
Jan 25, 2023 11:28 AM CST
Holocaust Survey Returns 'Downright Shocking' Results
23% of adults under 40 in the Netherlands think it's a myth or exaggerated
- A Jewish group that commissioned a survey on Holocaust awareness in the Netherlands said Wednesday that the results showed "a disturbing lack of awareness of key historical facts about the Holocaust" in the nation that was home to Anne Frank and her family. The survey commissioned by the New...
Messi, Argentina Celebrate
Dec 9, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Messi, Argentina Celebrate
Shootout victory sets up match Tuesday against Croatia
- Lionel Messi and his teammates hung around on the field for 20 minutes, taking turns dancing and jumping up and down in front of their celebrating, scarf-waving fans. Argentina was going to savor reaching the World Cup semifinals. Messi's quest to win soccer's ultimate prize is still alive....
US Team Can't Keep Up
With the Netherlands'
Dec 3, 2022 12:50 PM CST
US Team Can't Keep Up With the Netherlands'
3-1 loss knocks Americans out of World Cup
- The US team had never trailed in 2020 World Cup play, a stretch that ended in the 10th minute of its match Saturday—after the Americans had failed to score on their best chance of the day when Christian Pulisic had the Netherlands' goalkeeper one-on-one. Minutes later, Memphis Depay drilled...
Court: Squatters Can Stay in
Oligarch's Amsterdam Home
Nov 23, 2022 1:46 PM CST
Court: Squatters Can Stay in Oligarch's Amsterdam Home
Group moved into sanctioned Russian tech billionaire's mansion last month
- Squatters who moved into the Amsterdam mansion of a Russian tech billionaire last month can stay there for now, a Dutch court has decided. The five-story property in an upmarket neighborhood is owned by Arkady Volozh, co-founder of Yandex, Russia's biggest search engine, the
reports. Heleen over de...
Emboldened Wolves to
Be Shot at With Paintballs
Nov 4, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Emboldened Wolves to Be Shot at With Paintballs
Dutch officials complain wolves are becoming too tame, while activists allege a plot to kill
- A recent video showing a wolf strolling casually past a worried family of four in a national park in the Netherlands shows how some of the country's wolves have lost their fear of humans. Hoping to see that fear return, authorities are now turning to paintballs. A new decision...
Protesters Who Targeted
Nov 3, 2022 5:03 AM CDT
Protesters Who Targeted Masterpiece Sentenced
Judge did not want to deter others from protesting
The two protesters who targeted an iconic Johannes Vermeer painting last week have been sentenced by a Dutch court. They received sentences of two months behind bars, with one month suspended, the
reports. That was half of what the prosecutor had asked for, but the judge said she...
Security Threat Ruins
Princess' University-Life Plans
Oct 14, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Security Threat Ruins Princess' University-Life Plans
Dutch heir Princess Amalia, 18, is reportedly a target of criminal gangs
- It's not always easy being a princess, a fact the 18-year-old heir to the Dutch throne was just painfully reminded of. Last month, Princess Amalia moved into a shared student house in the heart of Amsterdam's historic canal district as she enrolled at the University of Amsterdam. But...
Dutch Judge Backs Worker Told
to Keep Webcam on All Day
Oct 10, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Dutch Judge Backs Worker Told to Keep Webcam on All Day
Court cites human rights decision in ruling against employer
- An employee of a US software company, when told to keep his webcam on all day, pointed out that he already was sharing his screen, and that his boss could monitor everything he was doing on his laptop. He argued that being watched on top of that seemed like an...
Spiders to Intentionally
Run Wild at Museum
Sep 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Spiders to Intentionally Run Wild at Museum
Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum is letting its creepy-crawlies have free reign over venue during exhibit
- At one of Europe's most famous museums, life is definitely imitating art until early next year. "The museum is teeming with animals this season!" promises Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum in its promotion for "Clara and Crawly Creatures," its new exhibit focusing on insects and other creeping...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.