Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NBC Mainstay Who Covered
Supreme Court to Retire
May 19, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
NBC Mainstay Who Covered Supreme Court to Retire
Pete Williams was Pentagon spokesperson before joining the network in 1993
- Pete Williams, an NBC News correspondent for 29 years who regularly appeared on camera quickly to report on major US Supreme Court decisions, is retiring from the network. "For generations of NBC News reporters, working alongside Pete has been a daily masterclass in journalism," NBC News President Noah...
Cite Concerns on
Apr 15, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
Lawmakers Cite Concerns on Feinstein's Memory, She Balks
'I'm rather puzzled,' 88-year-old Dem senator says of 'Chronicle' report on her mental acuity
- Dianne Feinstein is pushing back on a report that her memory is fading and she may be mentally unfit to continue serving in the US Senate—concerns voiced even by fellow Democrats. On Thursday, the
San Francisco Chronicle
published those concerns from ex-staffers, four senators (three of them Democrats), and...
Most Decorated US Runner
Is Making This Her Last Season
Apr 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Most Decorated US Runner Is Making This Her Last Season
It 'isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy,' Allyson Felix says
- Allyson Felix, who closed the Tokyo Games last year with more Olympic medals than any US track and field athlete in history, says she'll retire after the 2022 season. "This season isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy," Felix said in...
on NPS. Now,
Retirement at 100
Apr 2, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
She Made 'Profound Impact' on NPS. Now, Retirement at 100
Betty Reid Soskin, US' oldest active park ranger, clocked out for last time at Calif.'s Home Front park
- The nation's oldest active park ranger is hanging up her Smokey hat at the age of 100. Betty Reid Soskin retired Thursday after more than 15 years at the Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park in Richmond, Calif., the National Park Service announced, per the AP...
Apr 1, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
Jim Carrey: 'I've Done Enough'
Actor, 60, tells 'Access Hollywood' he's retiring after new 'Sonic the Hedgehog' film comes out
- Jim Carrey is just one of the many , many , many , many people who've weighed in this week about the Will Smith-Chris Rock kerfuffle (and he's also taking some flak for his thoughts), but the
Dumb and Dumber
actor is now making headlines for a very...
She's No. 1
Calling It Quits
Mar 23, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
She's No. 1 in Tennis—and Calling It Quits
25-year-old Ashleigh Barty of Australia retires at the top of her game
- The top-ranked women’s singles tennis player is retiring at the ripe old age of 25. "Today is difficult and filled with emotion for me as I announce my retirement from tennis," Australia's Ashleigh Barty wrote Wednesday on Instagram. "It's hard to say but I'...
Who's Going to Let Us
Know Who the Father Is Now?
Mar 21, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
Who's Going to Let Us Know Who the Father Is Now?
Maury Povich's talk show, which became famous for its paternity test results, ends its 30-year-plus run
- Since 1991, Maury Povich has used his daytime talk show to delve into uncommon phobias , suss out cheaters, and, perhaps most famously, convince guests to take paternity tests to figure out who is and isn't the father of various children born of current and former partners. Now Povich is...
Tom Brady Throws a Wrench
Into Retirement Party Plans
Jan 29, 2022 3:10 PM CST
Tom Brady Throws a Wrench Into Retirement Party Plans
Buccaneers, quarterback's father say the star hasn't decided anything yet
: Maybe Tom Brady will play till he's 50 after all. After reports Saturday not just from news and sports outlets but from the NFL and Brady's company, TB12 Sports, that the 44-year-old quarterback had decided to retire, Brady contradicted everyone. His coach, Bruce Arians, told a
Retires After 18 Seasons
Jan 27, 2022 10:04 AM CST
Steelers' Roethlisberger Retires After 18 Seasons
'Big Ben' leaving the game at 39
- Big Ben is out. Longtime Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Thursday that he's retiring after 18 seasons, reports CNN . "The time has come to clean out my locker, hang up my cleats, and continue to be all I can be to my wife and children," the...
This Is the Best
State for Retirees
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 PM CST
This Is the Best State for Retirees
Surprise! Florida comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub rankings
- Figuring out what to do once you retire can be a challenge, including where you put down roots to ride out your golden years. WalletHub looked at nearly four dozen metrics across all 50 states, in three main categories: affordability, which looks at everything from the cost of living and...
Dies at Age 8
Jan 11, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Retired 'HeroRAT' Dies at Age 8
Magawa sniffed out land mines in Cambodia until punching his last time card last year
"A hero is laid to rest." So read the announcement Tuesday on the death of Magawa, the rat that became a legend in Cambodia for his award-winning work in sniffing out land mines. Belgian charity Apopo notes in its release that Magawa, 8, had seemed in generally...
Democrat Is Retiring
Nov 15, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Senate's Longest-Serving Democrat Is Retiring
Vermont's Patrick Leahy won't run for re-election
- The longest-serving Democratic senator is calling it quits. Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont said Monday that he won't run for re-election next year, reports Politico . "It is time to pass the torch to the next Vermonter who will carry on this work for our great state," the...
A Retirement Researcher
Oct 25, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
A Retirement Researcher Retires Himself
David Ekerdt was well prepared for the life shift, but even he is learning some things
- For more than four decades, David Ekerdt studied aging and retirement. So you'd think that when Ekerdt retired himself from his post as a professor at the University of Kansas—as he did 18 months ago—he would be well prepared for the life change. But in an essay...
on 2022 Election
Oct 2, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Duterte Makes Surprise Call on 2022 Election
Philippine president announces he's retiring, won't run for VP in next year's elections
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday announced he was retiring from politics and dropping plans to run for vice president in next year's elections when his term ends, avoiding a legal battle with opponents who question such a move. Speaking before reporters, Duterte said many Filipinos have expressed their...
'I Just Heard
the Final Bell'
Sep 29, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
Manny Pacquiao: 'I Just Heard the Final Bell'
Boxing great retires
- Boxing legend Manny Pacquiao is officially hanging up his gloves, the AP reports. The eight-division world champion and Philippines senator on Wednesday announced his retirement from the ring, “As I hang up my boxing gloves, I would like to thank the whole world, especially the Filipino people for supporting...
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
I Know Politics
Plays a Role
in My Decision
Aug 27, 2021 10:54 AM CDT
Breyer: Yes, I Know Politics Plays a Role in My Decision
Supreme Court justice talks to 'New York Times' about his retirement considerations
- Supreme Court Justice Stephen G. Breyer has issued plenty of verdicts over the course of his life. The problem is "I don't like making decisions about myself." The ranking liberal justice and oldest member of the court at 83 is facing incredible pressure to retire while Democrats...
Tony Bennett's Son
Delivers Disappointing News
Aug 13, 2021 10:32 AM CDT
Tony Bennett's Son Delivers Disappointing News
Danny Bennett says 95-year-old crooner is under 'doctor's orders' to retire from performing on stage
- Tony Bennett just turned 95—time to take a load off. That's the basic recommendation the classics crooner has received, "doctor's orders," per his son, who broke the news Thursday to
that Bennett is canceling all of his fall tour dates and retiring from live...
Names 2 Factors
in Retirement Decision
Jul 15, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Stephen Breyer Names 2 Factors in Retirement Decision
'Health' and 'the court,' says justice, who tells CNN he still hasn't made up his mind on what to do
- The Supreme Court session has ended, but Justice Stephen Breyer still doesn't know when he'll retire. The top liberal justice who will turn 83 in August tells CNN that he has yet to make a decision but acknowledges two issues are on his mind: "Primarily, of course,...
Oldest Supreme Court Justice
Under Pressure to Retire
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Oldest Supreme Court Justice Under Pressure to Retire
Some want Stephen Breyer, 82, to clear way for younger liberal
- President Biden could have a Supreme Court seat to fill come summer. There is "immense urgency" among progressive Democrats for liberal Justice Stephen Breyer, who was nominated to the court by President Clinton in 1994, to retire after the court wraps up its current term around the end of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Lawmaker Makes Gaffe Praising Abortion Decision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.