Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Former Google Exec
Drops Senate Bid
Nov 28, 2023 6:31 PM CST
Former Google Exec Drops Senate Bid
Democrat Lexi Reese calls for campaign finance reform
- A former California tech executive is ending her longshot campaign for the US Senate seat once held by the late Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein, she announced Tuesday. Democrat Lexi Reese said she has been unable to raise the many millions of dollars needed for a first-time candidate to introduce herself...
Part of Polls
Nov 27, 2023 10:50 AM CST
Only One Part of Polls Should Worry Democrats
It's how Americans view the economy, writes pollster Mileah Kromer
- Like a lot of political observers, Mileah Kromer doesn't think Democrats should be too worried about what Kromer calls "horse race polls" showing Donald Trump ahead of President Biden a year out from the election. But Kromer, who's director of the Sarah T. Hughes Center for Politics...
Support for Political Violence
in America Is Kind of Shocking
Oct 25, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Support for Political Violence in America Is Kind of Shocking
Poll finds 23% of Americans believe it could be necessary 'to save our country'
- Nearly one in four Americans support political violence in a new national survey that pollsters say is likely to indicate a "challenging election season." Some 75% of Americans surveyed by the Public Religion Research Institute and the Brookings Institution—including 84% of Democrats, 77% of Republicans, and 73%...
Iowa Democrats Reveal
Their Caucus Compromise
Oct 6, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Iowa Democrats Reveal Their Caucus Compromise
They propose releasing presidential caucus results on Super Tuesday
- That Iowa Democratic Party says it's "definitely a compromise": It announced Friday that while it will caucus on Jan. 15, it won't reveal results until Super Tuesday. The AP calls it an attempt "to retain their state's leadoff spot on the presidential nominating calendar without...
Silenced Member of
'Tennessee Three' Sues State
Oct 5, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
Silenced Member of 'Tennessee Three' Sues State
State Rep. Justin Jones accuses Republican House speaker of 'discrimination and censorship'
- Tennessee Rep. Justin Jones, a young Democrat who has for months been a target of state House Republicans, has had enough. The 28-year-old filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against the state, House Speaker Cameron Sexton, and House administrative officials, alleging Republicans have repeatedly violated his constitutional rights by blocking him...
Inside California Dems' Effort
to Boot Trump From Ballot
Sep 19, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Inside California Dems' Effort to Boot Trump From Ballot
Group asks state attorney general to expedite court ruling on former president's eligibility
- Nine Democrats in California are seeking an expedited court ruling that could bar former President Donald Trump from the March 5 presidential primary ballot, claiming he's ineligible to resume office. The lawmakers—who echo conservative law scholars in arguing Trump may have violated Section 3 of the 14th Amendment,...
Makes the Call
Jul 8, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
House or Senate Run? Top Dem Makes the Call
Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin is going for his 5th term in the House of Representatives
- Congressman Jamie Raskin has launched his latest election campaign—but it's not for US Senate, as some had speculated. WBFF reports that the Democrat, who represents Maryland's 8th District in the US House of Representatives, announced Friday he'll be running for his fifth term in the House,...
State Pol: Sorry
I Hid Bibles in
Apr 29, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
State Pol: Sorry I Hid Bibles in Capitol Fridge, Couches
Arizona Dem Stahl Hamilton says 'playful protest' was over separation of church and state
- A Democratic state congresswoman in Arizona delivered a rather odd apology this week, after what she says was meant to be a "peaceful, playful protest" in support of the separation of church and state. Per the
, Rep. Stephanie Stahl Hamilton told reporters on Wednesday that she was...
DNC Picks a Home for 2024
Apr 11, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
DNC Picks a Home for 2024
Chicago beats out Atlanta in something of a surprise
- Democrats have chosen Chicago to host their 2024 national convention, reports the AP , trying to keep the party's momentum going after last fall's midterm success in the critical Midwest. The decision, confirmed by a Democratic official who spoke on Tuesday on the condition of anonymity before an official...
Apr 10, 2023 9:03 PM CDT
Nashville Sends Ousted Democrat Right Back to House
Tennessee Rep. Justin Jones retakes the oath of office to supporters' cheers
- Days after he was expelled from the Tennessee House of Representatives, Justin Jones has been returned to the legislature on a unanimous vote by the Nashville Metropolitan Council. Supporters cheered as the Democrat again took the oath of office on the state Capitol steps Monday afternoon, per the Hill . Jones,...
Democrats Want Seats Back
Apr 9, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Democrats Want Seats Back
Expelled Tennessee lawmakers hope to be reappointed, then elected again
- Two Democratic lawmakers who were expelled by Republican colleagues in Tennessee say they want to be reappointed, then elected back to their seats following their ouster for a protest on the House floor urging passage of gun-control measures. Nashville's metro council is likely to reappoint Justin Jones to the...
Harris to Meet in Nashville
With Expelled Lawmakers
Apr 7, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
Harris to Meet in Nashville With Expelled Lawmakers
Vice president to speak at service for ousted Democrats
- Vice President Kamala Harris traveled to Nashville on Friday in response to the removal of two Democratic lawmakers from the Tennessee legislature. She plans to meet with Justin Pearson and Justin Jones, who were expelled on a vote Thursday in the state House, where Republicans hold a supermajority, the
Tennessee Legislators Expel
2 Democrats Over Gun Protest
Apr 6, 2023 7:17 PM CDT
Tennessee Legislators Expel 2 Democrats Over Gun Protest
Third lawmaker keeps her seat by a single vote
- In an extraordinary act of political retaliation, Tennessee Republicans on Thursday expelled two Democratic lawmakers from the state Legislature for their role in a protest that called for more gun control in the aftermath of a deadly school shooting in Nashville. The House, where Republicans have a supermajority, voted to...
Apr 4, 2023 11:21 PM CDT
Lori Lightfoot's Successor Has Been Determined
Brandon Johnson wins runoff election over the more conservative candidate
- Union organizer and former teacher Brandon Johnson will be the next mayor of Chicago. Johnson won Tuesday's runoff election over the police union-backed Paul Vallas, in what the AP calls "a major victory for the Democratic Party’s progressive wing" in the city. Johnson will succeed Lori Lightfoot,...
Face Expulsion for
Gun Reform Chants
Apr 4, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Tennessee Dems Face Expulsion for Gun Reform Chants
Reps. Gloria Johnson, Justin Jones, Justin Pearson accused of 'disorderly behavior'
- Three Democrats in Tennessee are on the verge of being ousted from the state House after leading protesters in chants in support of gun control. Reps. Gloria Johnson, Justin Jones, and Justin Pearson approached the podium between bills on Thursday without being recognized to speak,
reports. Using a...
Flipped Ron Klain
Mar 23, 2023 11:07 AM CDT
Report: Sinema Slammed Schumer, Flipped Ron Klain the Bird
Sources also tell Politico that independent Arizona senator called Dems 'old dudes eating Jell-O'
- Some have begun to speculate that yes, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema might be able to pull off a reelection win in Arizona if she runs, using her new "independent" status to siphon off independent voters and moderate Republican voters from her opponents. It looks like those are the voters she...
Borrow GOP Playbook,
Score Fast Wins
on Guns, Abortion
Mar 10, 2023 12:50 PM CST
State Democrats Borrow GOP Playbook, Score Fast Wins on Guns, Abortion
Lawmakers in Michigan, Minnesota taking advantage of their newly won power
- Michigan Democrats are quickly remodelling the state, seizing on the trifecta of control they earned in the 2022 election. They took over the state House, Senate, and governor's office for the first time since 1983, which made it possible to pass a slew of measures on "some of...
'Do You Still
Feb 27, 2023 10:20 AM CST
'Do You Still Identify as a Democrat?' Manchin Dodges
'I identify as an American,' the West Virginia Democrat says instead
- It was a simple enough question. But Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin's response—or non-response—during an appearance over the weekend on Fox News is raising some eyebrows. The exchange, per
Fox's Maria Bartiromo:
"Do you still identify as a Democrat?"
"I identify as
Massachusetts Dem's 'Off the
Rails' Remarks Draw Backlash
Feb 24, 2023 2:20 PM CST
Massachusetts Dem's 'Off the Rails' Remarks Draw Backlash
At City Council meeting, Michael Hugo tied abortion to costs of services for special-needs kids
- A Massachusetts town official is making the apology rounds after comments he made that tied abortion and children with special needs. NBC Boston reports that during a Framingham City Council meeting on Feb. 7, the council voted unanimously to pass an ordinance that offered local protection for reproductive rights. In...
Jan 24, 2023 12:43 PM CST
Blue Dog Democrats Facing a Revolt
Long-standing group down to 7 after members leave in a rebranding dispute
- Blue Dog Democrats are seen as a moderate bloc in the House—a "fiscally conservative, pro-national security caucus" among Democrats that acts as a counter to progressives, per Roll Call . After the 2008 elections, the group had a healthy 54 members. Today, however, the number is down to seven,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.