Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Zookeeper Killed While
Putting Bug Spray on Rhino
Sep 12, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
Zookeeper Killed While Putting Bug Spray on Rhino
The 33-year-old woman's husband tried to save her
- A rhinoceros attacked a married couple working as zookeepers in Austria on Tuesday, killing the woman and seriously injuring the man as he attempted to save her, authorities said. The attack happened at the Hellbrunn Zoo in the western Austrian city of Salzburg. Zoo director Sabine Grebner told reporters that...
Protest Mass Tourism
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 9, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Town Protest Mass Tourism
Hallstatt wants to cap visitor numbers
- Hallstatt is a gorgeous village located amid beautiful Alpine scenery in Upper Austria, and many of its residents would like you to stay away. The town, which sits next to a pristine lake, has fewer than 800 residents, who are far outnumbered by up to 10,000 visitors on busy...
Receding Glacier Relinquishes
a 2-Decade-Old Body, With ID
in case you missed it
Aug 26, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Receding Glacier Relinquishes a 2-Decade-Old Body, With ID
Body of man thought to have died in 2001 found alongside bag carrying ID
- The body of a man thought to have died more than two decades ago has been found amidst a melting glacier in the Austrian Alps. A mountain guide discovered the remains Friday on Schlatenkees glacier in Tyrol province at an altitude of about 9,500 feet. Lienz Alpine Police later...
Austrian Climate Minister
Pushes Public to Get Tattoos
Aug 23, 2023 2:10 PM CDT
Austrian Climate Minister Pushes Public to Get Tattoos
Or, one specific climate-related tattoo, in exchange for a free train pass
- The Austrian government isn't just encouraging tattoos—it's rewarding those who get them, or, at least, one specific tattoo. Climate officials set up pop-up tattoo shops at two festivals, where the first three people willing to get inked with the word "Klimaticket" landed a free year of...
Hitler Speech Broadcast
on Austria Train
May 15, 2023 1:27 PM CDT
Hitler Speech Broadcast on Austria Train
2 suspects allegedly had key to intercom system
- Two men in Austria were arrested after excerpts of speeches from history's least popular Austrian were played over a train's loudspeaker system. Passengers say they were shocked to hear around 30 seconds of an Adolf Hitler speech on the intercity train from Bregenz to Vienna, along with the...
Austrian Citizens Aren't
Going to Like This News
Jan 26, 2023 7:26 AM CST
Austrian Citizens Aren't Going to Like This News
Police say hacker took personal data for nearly every person living there, put it up for sale
- If you live in Austria, chances are good that some of your personal information is now accessible to criminals. That's because police have revealed that a suspect they nabbed in November got their hands on data for pretty much every Austrian citizen and put it up for sale on...
Boris Johnson Goes to Kyiv
Apr 9, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Boris Johnson Goes to Kyiv
Austrian chancellor also visited, as allies promise more aid and support
- In what he called "a show of our unwavering support for the people of Ukraine," UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson made an unannounced trip to Kyiv on Saturday to meet with President Volodymyr Zelensky. While there, Johnson announced a new package of financial and military aid to help...
Leaves 9 Dead
Feb 7, 2022 10:40 AM CST
'Unprecedented' Avalanche Onslaught Leaves 9 Dead
Austrian authorities warn of continued 'considerable' risk in the Alps
- Nine people are dead in the Austrian Alps after what's being described as an "unprecedented" spate of avalanche activity. On Saturday, officials there continued to warn of "considerable" risk of avalanches, due to heavy snowfall followed by warmer weather conditions, reports the AP . The
Assisted Suicide Takes Effect
Jan 2, 2022 11:45 AM CST
Law Permitting Assisted Suicide Takes Effect
After completing a series of steps, Austrians may receive lethal drugs from a pharmacy
- Austrians with a terminal illness or permanent, debilitating condition now may seek help in ending their life. Parliament approved legalizing assisted suicide last week after a Constitutional Court ruling that said the existing ban was a violation of the right to self-determination, Deutsche Welle reports. The Assisted Suicide Act took...
Warned of Far Right
as 'Mrs. Gertrude'
Jan 1, 2022 3:45 PM CST
Holocaust Survivor Warned of Far Right as 'Mrs. Gertrude'
In a viral video, Gertrude Pressburger urged young people to vote in Austria's presidential election
- Holocaust survivor Gertrude Pressburger, who became famous during Austria's 2016 presidential campaign with a video message in which "Mrs. Gertrude" warned of hatred and exclusion triggered by the far right, has died at 94. Pressburger died Friday after a long illness, her family said Saturday. The AP reports...
Surgeon Fined for
Amputating Wrong Leg
Dec 2, 2021 4:58 AM CST
Surgeon Fined for Amputating Wrong Leg
Austrian surgeon blamed a problem with the chain of command
- A surgeon in Austria who removed the wrong leg from an elderly patient earlier this year in what the hospital called a "tragic mistake" has been fined the equivalent of around $3,000, with half of it suspended. A court found the 43-year-old surgeon guilty of gross negligence, the...
Nov 21, 2021 12:40 PM CST
Austrians Circulate Ahead of Lockdown
As of Monday, there'll be no sipping mulled wine under holiday lights for a while
- Under a clear blue sky, Austrians enjoyed a last day out in coffeehouses and at Christmas markets Sunday before the government imposes a nationwide lockdown to combat a surge of coronavirus infections. The measures, which take effect early Monday, are expected to last at least 20 days but will be...
'All of Germany Is
One Big Outbreak'
Nov 19, 2021 7:20 AM CST
'All of Germany Is One Big Outbreak'
Country may join Austria in announcing full nationwide lockdown
- Days after ordering a lockdown for the unvaccinated , the government of Austria has extended it to the vaccinated as well. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg says a full nationwide lockdown will begin Monday and last for a maximum of 20 days, the BBC reports. Under the European Union's first nationwide lockdown...
Austria Orders Unvaccinated
to Begin 10-Day Lockdown
Nov 14, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Austria Orders Unvaccinated to Begin 10-Day Lockdown
Police will stop and check people outdoors, chancellor says
- The Austrian government ordered a nationwide lockdown for unvaccinated people starting at midnight Sunday to slow the fast spread of the coronavirus in the country. The move prohibits unvaccinated individuals older than 12 from leaving their homes except for basic activities such as working, grocery shopping, going for a walk—...
Hit Record Highs
Nov 11, 2021 10:15 AM CST
COVID Cases Hit Record Highs in Germany, Netherlands
Meanwhile, Austria plans a lockdown for the unvaccinated
- Winter is approaching in Europe—and with it, a return to tighter COVID restrictions, at least for the unvaccinated. Reuters reports that, with strained ICUs and infections at a record high, Austria is planning a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said Thursday that the country is just days...
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's
Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
Oct 21, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
City's tourism board speaks out on social media censorship
- Have you checked out the Vienna tourism board's hot new account on adults-only OnlyFans? It's full of nudity, though of the century-old artistic kind. As the
reports, Vienna museums have come up against bans and other forms of censure after sharing nude artworks on more traditional social...
Fleeing the Games, Sprinter
Made a Last-Minute Switch
Aug 4, 2021 7:39 AM CDT
Fleeing the Games, Sprinter Made a Last-Minute Switch
Wary of security, Belarus sprinter changed flight plans from Warsaw to Vienna at last minute
- Change of travel plans for Krystsina Tsimanouskaya—she's headed to Vienna instead of Warsaw, at least initially. The
reports on the continuing drama swirling around the 24-year-old Olympic sprinter, who boarded a plane bound for Poland on Wednesday, less than three days after Belarus authorities took her...
She Broke Away
at Start of Race,
Figured She'd Be
Jul 26, 2021 1:51 AM CDT
She Broke Away at Start of Race, Figured She'd Be Caught—but Wasn't
Anna Kiesenhofer stuns Olympic cycling with her gold medal win
- As Dutch champion cyclist Annemiek van Vleuten crossed the finish line of the Olympic women's road race Sunday, she raised her arms in the air, assuming she'd come in first. Not so: Anna Kiesenhofer, an Austrian cyclist who wasn't on any pre-race list of contenders, had crossed...
He Sat on the
Toilet at Dawn.
Suddenly, a 'Nip'
in case you missed it
Jul 11, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
He Sat on the Toilet at Dawn. Suddenly, a 'Nip'
Python escapes from Austria apartment, ends up in neighbor's bathroom
- An elderly Austrian man had an unpleasant surprise waiting for him while answering nature's call early Monday: a python, in his toilet. The man, identified by the BBC as 65-year-old Walter Erhart, tells the broadcaster that he "went to the toilet as usual" in his Graz apartment around...
2 Die of Blood Clots
After Vaccine Dose
Mar 11, 2021 7:22 AM CST
2 Die of Blood Clots After Vaccine Dose
Both doses came from batch ABV5300 of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine
- Denmark is suspending use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for 14 days from Thursday following reports of "severe cases of blood clots." Health Minister Magnus Heunicke stresses the move is a "precautionary measure" as the fatal or life-threatening blood clots reported in a handful of vaccine recipients have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.