Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Boris Johnson Goes to Kyiv
Apr 9, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Boris Johnson Goes to Kyiv
Austrian chancellor also visited, as allies promise more aid and support
- In what he called "a show of our unwavering support for the people of Ukraine," UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson made an unannounced trip to Kyiv on Saturday to meet with President Volodymyr Zelensky. While there, Johnson announced a new package of financial and military aid to help...
Leaves 9 Dead
Feb 7, 2022 10:40 AM CST
'Unprecedented' Avalanche Onslaught Leaves 9 Dead
Austrian authorities warn of continued 'considerable' risk in the Alps
- Nine people are dead in the Austrian Alps after what's being described as an "unprecedented" spate of avalanche activity. On Saturday, officials there continued to warn of "considerable" risk of avalanches, due to heavy snowfall followed by warmer weather conditions, reports the AP . The
Assisted Suicide Takes Effect
Jan 2, 2022 11:45 AM CST
Law Permitting Assisted Suicide Takes Effect
After completing a series of steps, Austrians may receive lethal drugs from a pharmacy
- Austrians with a terminal illness or permanent, debilitating condition now may seek help in ending their life. Parliament approved legalizing assisted suicide last week after a Constitutional Court ruling that said the existing ban was a violation of the right to self-determination, Deutsche Welle reports. The Assisted Suicide Act took...
Warned of Far Right
as 'Mrs. Gertrude'
Jan 1, 2022 3:45 PM CST
Holocaust Survivor Warned of Far Right as 'Mrs. Gertrude'
In a viral video, Gertrude Pressburger urged young people to vote in Austria's presidential election
- Holocaust survivor Gertrude Pressburger, who became famous during Austria's 2016 presidential campaign with a video message in which "Mrs. Gertrude" warned of hatred and exclusion triggered by the far right, has died at 94. Pressburger died Friday after a long illness, her family said Saturday. The AP reports...
Surgeon Fined for
Amputating Wrong Leg
Dec 2, 2021 4:58 AM CST
Surgeon Fined for Amputating Wrong Leg
Austrian surgeon blamed a problem with the chain of command
- A surgeon in Austria who removed the wrong leg from an elderly patient earlier this year in what the hospital called a "tragic mistake" has been fined the equivalent of around $3,000, with half of it suspended. A court found the 43-year-old surgeon guilty of gross negligence, the...
Nov 21, 2021 12:40 PM CST
Austrians Circulate Ahead of Lockdown
As of Monday, there'll be no sipping mulled wine under holiday lights for a while
- Under a clear blue sky, Austrians enjoyed a last day out in coffeehouses and at Christmas markets Sunday before the government imposes a nationwide lockdown to combat a surge of coronavirus infections. The measures, which take effect early Monday, are expected to last at least 20 days but will be...
'All of Germany Is
One Big Outbreak'
Nov 19, 2021 7:20 AM CST
'All of Germany Is One Big Outbreak'
Country may join Austria in announcing full nationwide lockdown
- Days after ordering a lockdown for the unvaccinated , the government of Austria has extended it to the vaccinated as well. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg says a full nationwide lockdown will begin Monday and last for a maximum of 20 days, the BBC reports. Under the European Union's first nationwide lockdown...
Austria Orders Unvaccinated
to Begin 10-Day Lockdown
Nov 14, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Austria Orders Unvaccinated to Begin 10-Day Lockdown
Police will stop and check people outdoors, chancellor says
- The Austrian government ordered a nationwide lockdown for unvaccinated people starting at midnight Sunday to slow the fast spread of the coronavirus in the country. The move prohibits unvaccinated individuals older than 12 from leaving their homes except for basic activities such as working, grocery shopping, going for a walk—...
Hit Record Highs
Nov 11, 2021 10:15 AM CST
COVID Cases Hit Record Highs in Germany, Netherlands
Meanwhile, Austria plans a lockdown for the unvaccinated
- Winter is approaching in Europe—and with it, a return to tighter COVID restrictions, at least for the unvaccinated. Reuters reports that, with strained ICUs and infections at a record high, Austria is planning a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said Thursday that the country is just days...
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's
Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
Oct 21, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
City's tourism board speaks out on social media censorship
- Have you checked out the Vienna tourism board's hot new account on adults-only OnlyFans? It's full of nudity, though of the century-old artistic kind. As the
reports, Vienna museums have come up against bans and other forms of censure after sharing nude artworks on more traditional social...
Fleeing the Games, Sprinter
Made a Last-Minute Switch
Aug 4, 2021 7:39 AM CDT
Fleeing the Games, Sprinter Made a Last-Minute Switch
Wary of security, Belarus sprinter changed flight plans from Warsaw to Vienna at last minute
- Change of travel plans for Krystsina Tsimanouskaya—she's headed to Vienna instead of Warsaw, at least initially. The
reports on the continuing drama swirling around the 24-year-old Olympic sprinter, who boarded a plane bound for Poland on Wednesday, less than three days after Belarus authorities took her...
She Broke Away
at Start of Race,
Figured She'd Be
Jul 26, 2021 1:51 AM CDT
She Broke Away at Start of Race, Figured She'd Be Caught—but Wasn't
Anna Kiesenhofer stuns Olympic cycling with her gold medal win
- As Dutch champion cyclist Annemiek van Vleuten crossed the finish line of the Olympic women's road race Sunday, she raised her arms in the air, assuming she'd come in first. Not so: Anna Kiesenhofer, an Austrian cyclist who wasn't on any pre-race list of contenders, had crossed...
He Sat on the
Toilet at Dawn.
Suddenly, a 'Nip'
in case you missed it
Jul 11, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
He Sat on the Toilet at Dawn. Suddenly, a 'Nip'
Python escapes from Austria apartment, ends up in neighbor's bathroom
- An elderly Austrian man had an unpleasant surprise waiting for him while answering nature's call early Monday: a python, in his toilet. The man, identified by the BBC as 65-year-old Walter Erhart, tells the broadcaster that he "went to the toilet as usual" in his Graz apartment around...
2 Die of Blood Clots
After Vaccine Dose
Mar 11, 2021 7:22 AM CST
2 Die of Blood Clots After Vaccine Dose
Both doses came from batch ABV5300 of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine
- Denmark is suspending use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for 14 days from Thursday following reports of "severe cases of blood clots." Health Minister Magnus Heunicke stresses the move is a "precautionary measure" as the fatal or life-threatening blood clots reported in a handful of vaccine recipients have...
Changes Name to 'Fugging'
Nov 27, 2020 8:40 AM CST
Long-Suffering Village Changes Name to 'Fugging'
F---ingers will now become Fuggingers
- The people of F---ing, Austria have finally had enough of people making fun of the village's name—and stealing their road signs . The village of around 100 people, who are known as F---ingers, will be renamed Fugging as of Jan. 1, 2021, the
reports. The village is part...
Officials: Mistakes Made
Regarding Vienna Gunman
Nov 4, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Officials: Mistakes Made Regarding Vienna Gunman
He was released from prison early, sought ammo abroad
- The suspected gunman killed following a terror attack in Vienna was convicted of trying to join the Islamic State in Syria, released from prison early in December, and "hoodwinked the justice system's deradicalization program after his release," the AP reports. Kujtim Fejzulai, a 20-year-old dual citizen of...
Death Toll Climbs in Vienna,
Where '100 Rounds' Rang Out
Nov 3, 2020 6:49 AM CST
Death Toll Climbs in Vienna, Where '100 Rounds' Rang Out
Suspect was ISIS 'sympathizer' with previous terror conviction: officials
- Four victims have been confirmed dead following a terror attack in Vienna in which at least one shooter fired at people enjoying a night out in the city on the eve of a national lockdown. The death toll includes two men and two women, in addition to one shooter. Fifteen...
2 Dead, 15 Wounded in
'Despicable' Vienna Attack
Nov 2, 2020 5:36 PM CST
2 Dead, 15 Wounded in 'Despicable' Vienna Attack
Gunmen opened fire on people having their last night out before lockdown
- Gunmen opened fire on people enjoying a last evening out in Vienna before a coronavirus lockdown Monday in what authorities said was a terror attack that left at least two dead—including one of the assailants—and 15 wounded. "We are victims of a despicable terror attack in the...
Austrians Cash In Stimulus
Checks From ... America?
Sep 10, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Austrians Cash In Stimulus Checks From ... America?
And they're not the only foreigners receiving US stimulus funds in error
- Austria isn't part of the United States of America (last time we checked), but over the past few months, some Austrians have received assistance reserved only for US citizens and residents. They've been cashing checks sent to them as part of the $2 trillion US stimulus package, even...
Looking to Raise a Family?
These 10 Nations Are Tops
Jul 24, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Looking to Raise a Family? These 10 Nations Are Tops
The US doesn't make the cut—in fact, it's got a dismal ranking
- No one's able to go much of anywhere at the moment , but one day, when the pandemic is over, you may be on the hunt for the best place to settle down and have kids. Travel and family journalism website Asher & Lyric did the legwork for us, sifting...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
200 People Drift Away While Ice Fishing in Minnesota
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.