Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Teen Shot After Ringing Wrong
Doorbell Joins 'Team Ralph'
May 30, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Teen Shot After Ringing Wrong Doorbell Joins 'Team Ralph'
Black teen took part in annual fundraiser
- Ralph Yarl , the Missouri teen shot last month by a white homeowner in Kansas City after he rang the wrong doorbell, has since been recuperating in private from his traumatic brain injury. Over Memorial Day weekend, however, the 17-year-old made what the AP says was his first big public...
Biden: 'We Must Never
Forget the Price Paid to
Protect Our Democracy'
May 29, 2023 2:06 PM CDT
Biden: 'We Must Never Forget the Price Paid to Protect Our Democracy'
President lauds troops who 'dared all and gave all'
- President Biden lauded the sacrifice of generations of US troops who "dared all and gave all" fighting for their country and called on Americans to ensure that their "sacrifice was not in vain" as he marked Memorial Day with the traditional wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery. Biden...
It Was 'Pretty Much
the Worst Thing You
Jun 1, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
It Was 'Pretty Much the Worst Thing You Could Imagine'
Parasailing accident off Marathon, Fla., leaves woman dead, 2 children injured
- A Memorial Day parasailing adventure turned into "pretty much the worst thing you could imagine," according to a witness of what became a deadly tragedy for a vacationing family in the Florida Keys. Supraja Alaparthi, 33, of Illinois was parasailing with her 10-year-old son and 9-year-old nephew off...
2 Missing After
River Float Goes Awry
May 31, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
2 Missing After River Float Goes Awry
Women were part of a group whisked over 12-foot dam in Virginia
- Crews are searching for two missing women, part of a group of floaters who were whisked over a 12-foot dam in Virginia on Memorial Day. A dozen people on rafts and paddleboards took to the James River from Watkins Landing in Powhatan, intending to reach shore at Robious Landing in...
Got Mic Shut Off
Jun 3, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Veteran Began Speaking About Black Americans, Got Mic Shut Off
Ohio American Legion investigating incident after Memorial Day event organizers admit to censoring
- Retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter had an inspiring 11-minute speech planned as the keynote speaker at a Memorial Day event in Hudson, Ohio, including a bit about the history of the holiday. Partway through his address at a local cemetery, however, the microphone cut out for about two minutes....
War Dead at Arlington
May 31, 2021 11:44 AM CDT
Biden Commemorates War Dead at Arlington
'This nation was built on an idea,' he says in address
- President Biden honored America’s war dead at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day by laying a wreath at the hallowed burial ground and extolling the sacrifices of the fallen for the pursuit of democracy. The president was joined on Monday by first lady Jill Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris,...
the Long Weekend'
May 31, 2021 1:42 AM CDT
Kamala Harris' Memorial Day Tweet: 'Enjoy the Long Weekend'
Needless to say, it didn't go over well
- Kamala Harris was being sharply criticized after a Saturday tweet many said was disrespectful to Memorial Day and all that it honors. "Enjoy the long weekend," read Harris' tweet , which was accompanied by a photo of herself. It made no mention of Monday's holiday, and critics were...
Reaction to Black
Man in Park
May 26, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Woman Apologizes for 'Unacceptable' Reaction to Black Man in Park
Man who asked Amy Cooper to leash dog records her calling cops, saying he's 'threatening' her
- A video taken in New York's Central Park over the weekend has gone viral, leading to accusations of racism against an investment exec. Per NBC New York , a woman posted the clip on Twitter showing her brother, Christian Cooper, in a confrontation with Amy Cooper (no relation) Monday after...
Biden Makes First Public
Appearance Since March
May 25, 2020 12:44 PM CDT
Biden Makes First Public Appearance Since March
'I feel great to be out here'
- Joe Biden made his first in-person appearance in more than two months on Monday as he marked Memorial Day by laying a wreath at a veterans park near his Delaware home. Since abruptly canceling a March 10 rally in Cleveland at the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, the presumptive Democratic...
Trump Lays Wreath at
Arlington, Speaks in Baltimore
May 25, 2020 10:56 AM CDT
Trump Lays Wreath at Arlington, Speaks in Baltimore
'Together we will vanquish the virus,' he says
- President Trump has laid a wreath at Arlington National Cemetery as he commemorates Memorial Day in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. Trump was joined by Vice President Mike Pence and Defense Secretary Mark Esper. The president laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier overlooking rolling hills...
Here's 'Social Distancing'
on Memorial Day
May 24, 2020 2:15 PM CDT
Here's 'Social Distancing' on Memorial Day
The AP looks at how crowds are gathering around the US this weekend
- The Memorial Day weekend marking the unofficial start of summer in the US meant big crowds at beaches and warnings from authorities Sunday about people disregarding the coronavirus social-distancing rules and risking a resurgence of the scourge that has killed nearly 100,000 Americans, the AP reports. Sheriff's deputies...
USDA: Check Your Freezer
for Recalled Steaks, Ribs
May 24, 2019 12:20 AM CDT
USDA: Check Your Freezer for Recalled Steaks, Ribs
62K pounds of beef products could be contaminated
- Consumers who don't want E.coli contaminating their Memorial Day barbecue should make sure their beef hasn't been recalled, the US Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service says. A recall notice has been issued for some 62,000 pounds of beef products that were packed...
An Act of Hate,
Then an 'Outpouring
of Love' in Illinois
May 29, 2018 8:53 AM CDT
An Act of Hate, Then an 'Outpouring of Love' in Illinois
Suspect in custody after 200 graves marked with swastikas before Memorial Day
- The weekend might have started with a "devastating" act of hate, but it ended with an "outpouring of love." That from the manager of Sunset Hill Cemetery in Glen Carbon, Ill., 20 miles northeast of St. Louis, where more than 1,400 veterans are buried. Early Saturday,...
Out of Job After
Indy 500 Champ
May 30, 2017 6:17 AM CDT
Sportswriter Out of Job After Tweet About Indy 500 Champ
Japanese driver's victory made him 'very uncomfortable,' wrote Terry Frei
has parted ways with a prize-winning sportswriter who tweeted that he was dismayed a driver from Japan won the the Indy 500. "Nothing specifically personal, but I am very uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indianapolis 500 during Memorial Day weekend," Terry Frei tweeted...
May 30, 2017 6:10 AM CDT
Ivanka's Brand Gets Frosty Reception for Popsicle Tweet
IvankaTrumpHQ suggests ill-received champagne popsicles for Memorial Day
- Instead of honoring America's fallen war veterans, Ivanka Trump's lifestyle brand suggested that Memorial Day is a perfect time to make popsicles—and is taking no small amount of flak for it. CNN reports the backlash was "icy" after IvankaTrumpHQ tweeted a tip to "Make champagne...
What Trump Had to Say
in Memorial Day Address
May 29, 2017 3:40 PM CDT
What Trump Had to Say in Memorial Day Address
President honors 'special, special people' at Arlington National Cemetery
- President Donald Trump on Monday expressed the nation's "boundless" gratitude for the ultimate sacrifice paid by Americans defending the United States, dedicating his first Memorial Day address as commander in chief to a top Cabinet secretary and two other families who lost loved ones, the AP reports. Participating...
Trump Prepares Arlington
Memorial Day Address
May 29, 2017 12:03 AM CDT
Trump Prepares Arlington Memorial Day Address
In Sicily, he praised US 'warriors of freedom'
- President Trump is preparing his first Memorial Day address at Arlington National Cemetery. Trump is also set to lay a wreath Monday at the cemetery, the final resting place for many US military members and others who have served the country, the AP reports. Trump previewed the address Saturday before...
Remembering Sharon Lane:
Killed by Hostile Fire in Vietnam
May 28, 2017 5:13 PM CDT
Remembering Sharon Lane: Killed by Hostile Fire in Vietnam
She was a 25-year-old nurse
- Minutes before 6am, Army nurse Martha Green woke with a jolt to a thunderous explosion half a mile away. It was the steamy morning of June 8, 1969, and she was in her bed at Chu Lai base at the height of the Vietnam War. Green's husband returned with...
From Job for
Lowering Flag on
Jun 4, 2016 11:40 AM CDT
Ex-Marine Fired From Job for Lowering Flag on Memorial Day
He says he did it in memory of a Marine who killed himself
- A former Marine says he was fired from his contract job with Time Warner Cable in North Carolina after he lowered the American flag to half-staff on Memorial Day, the AP reports. According to the
Charlotte Observer ,
Allen Thornwell, 29, was thinking about his best friend, a former Marine who...
Major Civil War Battlefield
Is Now a Crime Scene
May 30, 2016 1:02 PM CDT
Major Civil War Battlefield Is Now a Crime Scene
Looting a federal battlefield is a crime that can carry a $20K fine, 2 years in prison
- Just days before the area's major commemorative events linked to Memorial Day, the National Park Service has announced that Virginia's Petersburg National Battlefield is an "active crime scene," reports CNN. "Earlier this week, one of the park employees was out doing landscape work and noticed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.