Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Nazi Medical Torture,
She Befriended a Future Pope
Nov 1, 2023 12:05 PM CDT
After Nazi Medical Torture, She Befriended a Future Pope
Wanda Poltawska died at the age of 101
- Wanda Wojtasik was 19 when she was captured by the Gestapo in February 1941 in Poland. She was eventually brought to the Ravensbrueck concentration camp in Germany, where more than 90,000 people died before the camp's 1945 liberation. She was a survivor, one who was subjected to medical...
Dutch Prince Who Fought the
Nazis Was a Nazi Himself
in case you missed it
Oct 8, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Dutch Prince Who Fought the Nazis Was a Nazi Himself
Prince Bernhard's original Nazi party membership card surfaces
- The Dutch government has confirmed that the grandfather of King Willem Alexander was a Nazi. Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld, a German nobleman, married the future Queen Juliana in 1937, three years before he would escort the Dutch royal family to exile in England as the Nazis invaded the Netherlands, reports...
Man, 98, Charged as Accessory
to Murder at Nazi Camp
Sep 1, 2023 10:57 AM CDT
Man, 98, Charged as Accessory to Murder at Nazi Camp
German was said to have worked at Sachsenhausen concentration camp as a juvenile
- A 98-year-old man has been charged in Germany with being an accessory to murder as a guard at the Nazis' Sachsenhausen concentration camp between 1943 and 1945, prosecutors said Friday. The German citizen, a resident of Main-Kinzig County near Frankfurt, is accused of having "supported the cruel and malicious...
Pending Nazi Artifacts Law
Boosts Sales in Australia
Jun 23, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Pending Nazi Artifacts Law Boosts Sales in Australia
Anti-defamation official denounces auctions, which included signed Hitler pictures
- Anticipation of a ban in Australia on selling Nazi artifacts has created what an anti-defamation official calls a "repulsive phenomenon"—buyers rushing to snap up offensive reminders of a horrific period. "I've been a full-time dealer for 14 years and I've never seen the number...
Bronze Nazi Eagle Won't
Become a Dove After All
Jun 19, 2023 3:01 PM CDT
Bronze Nazi Eagle Won't Become a Dove After All
Uruguay's president's Friday announcement was undone on Sunday
- A bronze eagle that was cast by the Nazis won't become a dove after all. The 6-foot-tall eagle, which holds a swastika in its talons, formerly adorned a battleship used by the Nazis called the Admiral Graf Spee. The BBC reports the Graf Spee managed to take down eight...
for Nazi Treasure
Comes to a Halt
May 2, 2023 11:51 AM CDT
'Digging Frenzy' for Nazi Treasure Comes to a Halt
Search for jewels, gold, silver rumored to be buried near tree in Dutch town of Ommeren is called off
- The "digging frenzy" is over. A treasure hunt near the Dutch village of Ommeren, prompted by the release of a map that purported to show where Nazi soldiers had buried $20 million worth of loot, has been called off, per Dutch News . A number of digs looking for the...
Holocaust Survey Returns
'Downright Shocking' Results
Jan 25, 2023 11:28 AM CST
Holocaust Survey Returns 'Downright Shocking' Results
23% of adults under 40 in the Netherlands think it's a myth or exaggerated
- A Jewish group that commissioned a survey on Holocaust awareness in the Netherlands said Wednesday that the results showed "a disturbing lack of awareness of key historical facts about the Holocaust" in the nation that was home to Anne Frank and her family. The survey commissioned by the New...
Former Nazi Camp
Dec 28, 2022 8:34 AM CST
Former Nazi Camp Secretary Appeals Her Conviction
Irmgard Furchner was found guilty of being an accessory to murder in 10K cases
- A 97-year-old woman is appealing her conviction in Germany of being an accessory to more than 10,000 murders when she was a secretary to the commander of the Nazis' Stutthof concentration camp during World War II. In a Dec. 20 verdict, the Itzehoe state court gave Irmgard Furchner a...
80 Years After
in Nazi Camp,
Dec 20, 2022 6:42 AM CST
80 Years After Teen Worked in Nazi Camp, a Conviction
Irmgard Furchner, 97, aka 'Secretary of Evil,' found guilty of being accessory to murder at Stutthof
- A German court on Tuesday convicted a 97-year-old woman of being an accessory to murder in over 10,000 cases for her role as a secretary to the SS commander of the Nazis' Stutthof concentration camp during World War II, the AP reports. Irmgard Furchner was accused of being part...
Newly Found Kristallnacht
Photos 'Dispel a Nazi Myth'
Nov 9, 2022 1:35 PM CST
Newly Found Kristallnacht Photos 'Dispel a Nazi Myth'
Some depict actions taking place indoors
- Harrowing, previously unseen images from 1938's Kristallnacht pogrom against German and Austrian Jews have surfaced in a photograph collection donated to Israel's Yad Vashem memorial, the organization said Wednesday. One shows a crowd of smiling, well-dressed middle-aged German men and women standing casually as a Nazi officer smashes...
Nov 7, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Elon Musk: Vote GOP
Twitter's new owner unfollows his guidance about political neutrality
- Elon Musk abandoned the customary political neutrality of social media bosses on Monday, urging a Republican victory in Tuesday's midterm elections. In a tweet addressed to "independent-minded voters," Twitter's new owner wrote, "Shared power curbs the worst excesses of both parties, therefore I recommend voting...
School Board Candidate:
'Not All Nazis Were Bad'
Oct 21, 2022 12:17 PM CDT
School Board Candidate: 'Not All Nazis Were Bad'
Indiana's Dr. Matt Keefer has tripled down in defending his online comments, calling critics 'haters'
- There are multiple candidates running for seats on the Zionsville Community Schools Board of Trustees in Indiana, including Dr. Matt Keefer, an anesthesiologist who calls himself an independent option disliked by both "Republican leaders" and the "extreme left" due to his critical thinking and inability to "be...
Poland Wants Huge War
Reparations From Germany
Sep 1, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Poland Wants Huge War Reparations From Germany
Government to seek $1.3T, but Germany says the matter is long closed
- Poland will seek the equivalent of some $1.3 trillion in reparations from Germany for the Nazis' World War II invasion and occupation of the country. Jaroslaw Kaczynski, leader of the ruling Law and Justice party, announced the huge claim at the release of a long-awaited report on the cost...
at Ex-Nazi Camp
Jul 21, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Memorial Trees at Ex-Nazi Camp Chopped Down
A 'deliberate attack on remembrance,' says group that runs Germany's Buchenwald memorial
- The Buchenwald concentration camp memorial says that seven trees dedicated to the memory of victims of the Nazi camp in eastern Germany have been chopped down. The foundation that runs the memorial tweeted on Wednesday that the trees near the site were apparently attacked the previous day, per the AP...
Georgia Parents Take Issue
With School's Proposed Logo
Jul 20, 2022 2:17 PM CDT
Georgia Parents Take Issue With School's Proposed Logo
If you think it looks like a Nazi symbol, you aren't alone
- The rollout of a new logo for an Atlanta area elementary school has been paused after parents noted similarities to a Nazi symbol, though a school district said the design was based on a US Army colonel's eagle wings. The Cobb County School District said Tuesday that it has...
Tapes Captured Eichmann
Saying What No Nazi Said
Jul 9, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Tapes Captured Eichmann Saying What No Nazi Said
Israeli filmmakers were given permission to use them in a documentary series
- The men who prosecuted Adolf Eichmann in 1961 had a 700-page transcript of taped conversations between Eichmann and fellow Nazi exile/Dutch journalist Willem Sassen in Argentina a few years prior. The transcript wasn't allowed to be used in court, where Eichmann insisted he was merely following orders and carried...
Nazi Camp Guard
Convicted at 101
Jun 28, 2022 7:28 AM CDT
Nazi Camp Guard Convicted at 101
Josef Schuetz gets 5 years for accessory to murder
- A 101-year-old former guard at a Nazi concentration camp, who was the oldest Nazi criminal ever to stand trial in a German court, has been sentenced to five years in prison. The man identified by AFP as Josef Schuetz, who worked at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin from 1942...
Capitol Rioter Prosecutors Call
a Nazi Sympathizer Is Convicted
May 27, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Capitol Rioter Prosecutors Call a Nazi Sympathizer Is Convicted
Timothy Hale-Cusanelli testifies he didn't realize Congress met in the building
- A former US Army reservist described by prosecutors as a Nazi sympathizer was convicted Friday of storming the US Capitol to obstruct Congress from certifying President Biden's 2020 electoral victory. Timothy Hale-Cusanelli, who worked as a security contractor at a Navy base when he joined the pro-Trump mob on...
Arizona Death Row Inmate
Won't Die in Gas Chamber
May 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Arizona Death Row Inmate Won't Die in Gas Chamber
Frank Atwood is now scheduled to be executed by lethal injection
Arizona death-row inmate Frank Atwood had until 12:01am Friday to select whether he wanted to die via lethal injection or in the state's refurbished gas chamber. He declined to make a choice, so the state's default method—lethal injection—will be used on June 8. It...
Mar 18, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
Putin's 'Chilling' Language Raises Alarms
Russian leader's rhetoric draws comparisons to Stalin
- Vladimir Putin's military is pressing its advance on Ukraine, and Putin himself is ramping up his related rhetoric. A number of stories are parsing his language:
New York Times
analysis, Anton Troianovski digs into why Putin keeps saying he must "de-Nazify" Ukraine and keeps invoking
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.