Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Wanted to Open a Prince
Museum, Holds Auction Instead
Nov 14, 2023 10:30 AM CST
Man Wanted to Open a Prince Museum, Holds Auction Instead
Pieces of late singer's wardrobe, other memorabilia are up for sale after museum idea is ditched
- Fans of Prince, who was known nearly as much for his extravagant wardrobe as for his chart-topping hits, will have a chance to bid on some of the late musician's sartorial splendor in an online auction this week. The collection, including more than 200 lots up for sale, was...
Italian Fashion Designer Dies
Days After Joining Moschino
Nov 11, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Italian Fashion Designer Dies Days After Joining Moschino
Brand's new creative director Davide Renne, formerly with Gucci, is dead at 46
- Just days after Davide Renne left Gucci and arrived at Moschino to take over as creative director, the Italian fashion designer has died, reports the
New York Post
. "It is with deep sorrow and great sadness, Moschino announces that Davide Renne passed away on November 10th, 2023 in Milan,...
$5K Designer Jacket Is
Dyed With an Unusual Source
Nov 5, 2023 11:40 AM CST
$5K Designer Jacket Is Dyed With an Unusual Source
Design company uses algae, fungi, and bacteria to create products in the name of sustainability
- Dropping nearly $5,000 on a jacket isn't something most of us could sneeze over, though sneezes have something oddly in common with the newest line from Normal Phenomena of Life (known as NPOL). Their Exploring Jacket, which costs $4,895, gets its fun pink hue from bacteria, specifically...
France Makes an Aggressive
Push Against 'Fast Fashion'
Jul 15, 2023 2:10 PM CDT
France Makes an Aggressive Push Against 'Fast Fashion'
Rebate program will offer up to $28 to fix clothes, shoes instead of buying new, but some are wary
- Don't toss those ripped jeans or that shirt missing a button just yet, at least not if you live in France. That's because starting in October, the French government will be offering what's essentially a rebate to people who mend their own clothes and shoes instead of...
Some Said She Was to Fashion
What the Beatles Were to Music
Apr 13, 2023 1:58 PM CDT
Some Said She Was to Fashion What the Beatles Were to Music
Mary Quant, mastermind of Swinging '60s style, dies at 93
- Mary Quant, the visionary fashion designer whose colorful, sexy miniskirts epitomized London in the 1960s and influenced youth culture around the world, has died. She was 93. Quant’s family said she died "peacefully at home" in Surrey, southern England, on Thursday. Quant helped popularize the miniskirt—some credit...
Mar 12, 2023 9:57 PM CDT
Oscars' Champagne Carpet: 40 Amazing Looks
Some of the best outfits from the not-red carpet
- Fan Bingbing made a regal entrance in sparkling silver and emerald green on the champagne-colored carpet Sunday at the 95th Academy Awards. Hong Chau wore a high-neck pink Prada column gown with a feathery black train and Malala Yousafzai worked the hood of her silver sparkler from Ralph Lauren like...
She 'Gave the Punk
Movement a Look'
Dec 30, 2022 3:12 AM CST
She 'Gave the Punk Movement a Look'
Fashion maverick Vivienne Westwood dies at 81
- Vivienne Westwood, an influential fashion maverick who played a key role in the punk movement, died Thursday at 81. Westwood's eponymous fashion house announced her death on social media platforms, saying she died peacefully. A cause of death was not disclosed. "Vivienne continued to do the things she...
SBF May Have Ruined
the Disheveled CEO Look
Dec 15, 2022 1:23 PM CST
SBF May Have Ruined the Disheveled CEO Look
It now sends a disturbing message, writes 'NYT' fashion critic Vanessa Friedman
- The financial misdeeds of fallen crypto wunderkind Sam Bankman-Fried are being dissected everywhere. In the
New York Times
, fashion critic Vanessa Friedman explores an entirely different angle to the story, suggesting that SBF's demise might also spell the demise, finally, of the "schlubby" fashion style of tech CEOs....
Balenciaga Faces Backlash
for 2 Eyebrow-Raising Ads
Nov 28, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Balenciaga Faces Backlash for 2 Eyebrow-Raising Ads
One featured kids with teddy bear bags draped in fetish gear, the other SCOTUS docs on child porn
- A fashion giant is under the microscope after two recent ad campaigns went awry, spurring a lawsuit and even dragging Kim Kardashian into the fray. The complaint filed Friday by Balenciaga in the New York State Supreme Court for the County of New York seeks $25 million in damages from...
Brad Pitt's Red-Carpet Look
Attracts a Lot of Attention
Jul 20, 2022 1:37 PM CDT
Brad Pitt's Red-Carpet Look Attracts a Lot of Attention
It's a linen skirt
- CNN calls the celebrity's "breezy" linen skirt its look of the week, and you'd be forgiven for not immediately realizing that the network is talking about Brad Pitt. The actor has been grabbing headlines for the red-carpet outfit he donned Tuesday while promoting
Andre Leon Talley
Is Dead at 73
Jan 19, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Fashion Legend Andre Leon Talley Is Dead at 73
He was the former creative director and editor-at-large of 'Vogue' magazine
- André Leon Talley, the towering former creative director and editor-at-large of
magazine, has died. He was 73, reports the AP . Talley’s literary agent David Vigliano confirmed Talley’s death to
late Tuesday, but no additional details were immediately available. Talley was an influential fashion journalist who...
Top Fashion Magazine
Is Going Fur-Free
Dec 3, 2021 4:02 AM CST
Top Fashion Magazine Is Going Fur-Free
Elle is dropping fur from all 45 global editions
- Fashion magazine
has 45 global editions—and fur will be banned from all of them as of Jan. 1, 2023.
senior vice president and international director Valeria Bessolo Llopiz tells Reuters that fur is being ditched because tastes are changing and support for animal welfare is growing. "...
Influential Designer's Death
Stuns Fashion, Art Worlds
Nov 28, 2021 5:46 PM CST
Influential Designer's Death Stuns Fashion, Art Worlds
Virgil Abloh, 41, was artistic director for menswear at Louis Vuitton
- Virgil Abloh, the groundbreaking designer for Louis Vuitton and Off-White, died Sunday at age 41. He had been diagnosed with cardiac angiosarcoma, but had chosen not to go public with his diagnosis, battling the disease in private, according to a post on his Instagram profile. Abloh didn’t start his...
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema
Nov 20, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema Over 'Sexist'
Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Jeanne Shaheen slam paper for focusing on Ariz. senator's clothes
- Kyrsten Sinema has become known for her "penchant for patterns and bold colors" in a Senate chamber that's "still largely buttoned up," as the Hill puts it. That's a problem, though—not the Arizona senator's choice of clothing, but the plethora of headlines about...
AOC's Met Gala Dress
Has a Message
Sep 14, 2021 6:46 AM CDT
AOC's Met Gala Dress Has a Message
Congresswoman wore dress reading 'tax the rich' to Monday's high-society event
- The Met Gala red carpet was dotted with political messages, including from Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Attending her first high-society Met Gala, where tickets reportedly cost $35,000, the New York congresswoman wore a floor-length white gown with the words "tax the rich" emblazoned on the back in red. "...
Levi's CEO: Number Who
Need New Size 'Staggering'
in case you missed it
Jun 12, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Levi's CEO: Number Who Need New Size 'Staggering'
About 25% of buyers need either a bigger or smaller jeans size, says Chip Bergh
- The pandemic didn't just change the style of jeans people are buying— skinny jeans are out and more comfortable fits are in—but something more fundamental: waist sizes. In an interview with the AP , Levi's CEO Chip Bergh estimates that 25% of customers are in need of a...
Balenciaga, Crocs Team Up
to Make Uncomfortable Shoes
Jun 12, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Balenciaga, Crocs Team Up to Make Uncomfortable Shoes
And the resulting negative reaction about stiletto crocs is likely the whole point
- Crocs are having a moment. They were hot sellers during the pandemic lockdowns, which makes sense. They put out a KFC-branded pair that looks—and smells!—like fried chicken, which really doesn’t make much sense. They’ve turned up on the famous feet of Nicki Minaj and...
Pandemic May Have Changed
Thinking on Blue Jeans
Apr 18, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Pandemic May Have Changed Thinking on Blue Jeans
'New denim cycle' may be here: goodbye skinny jeans, hello mom jeans
- Of all the changes wrought by the pandemic, a shift in blue jeans fashion may not seem of great importance. But it certain circles, it's leading to serious-sounding pronouncements like this one, from Levi Strauss CEO Chip Bergh to the
New York Times
: "It's very possible that...
Lena Dunham's New Plus-Size
Line Slammed for Cost, Sizes
Apr 9, 2021 1:21 PM CDT
Lena Dunham's New Plus-Size Line Slammed for Cost, Sizes
Critics say not enough larger sizes are actually offered, and that pieces are too expensive
- Lena Dunham has a new clothing line out, but like much other news involving Lena Dunham, it's a project not without controversy. Per
, the collaboration between the 34-year-old
star and fashion retailer 11 Honore offers various apparel for women sizes 12 through 26, a line Dunham says...
Second Stepdaughter Makes
Fashion Runway Debut
Feb 19, 2021 4:46 AM CST
Second Stepdaughter Makes Fashion Runway Debut
Her knitwear collection sold out within hours
- This has been an amazing week for Ella Emhoff, one of two people who call Vice President Kamala Harris "Momala." The 21-year-old "Second Stepdaughter" not only made her catwalk debut at New York Fashion Week, her knitwear collection made its debut at online shop Mall Thursday and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.