Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One Baffert Horse Euthanized,
Another Wins the Preakness
May 20, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
One Baffert Horse Euthanized, Another Wins the Preakness
National Treasure's victory means there will be no Triple Crown winner
- Bob Baffert’s National Treasure won the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, ending Mage’s Triple Crown bid in the trainer’s return from a suspension—and just hours after another of his 3-year-old horses was euthanized on the track . Baffert headed to the winner’s circle on the same day...
May 20, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Horse Trained by Baffert Euthanized on Track
Havnameltdown throws jockey, who's hospitalized, in race before Preakness
- A horse trained by Bob Baffert broke down Saturday during an undercard race before the Preakness and was euthanized on the track. Luis Saez, the jockey, suffered a leg injury and was hospitalized. Havnameltdown, a 3-year-old colt stumbled near the final turn at the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, the...
For Triple Crown Fans,
It's Good News
May 12, 2023 11:33 AM CDT
For Triple Crown Fans, It's Good News
Derby winner Mage will race in the Preakness
- Kentucky Derby winner Mage will run in the 148th Preakness following an encouraging workout at Churchill Downs, its co-owner said. Mage galloped about 1 1/2 miles at a brisk pace with exercise rider JJ Delgado aboard on a cloudy but mild Friday morning at the track. Co-owner and bloodstock agent...
At Preakness, Favorite's
Final Push Falls Short
May 21, 2022 7:01 PM CDT
At Preakness, Favorite's Final Push Falls Short
Early Voting fends off Epicenter
- Early Voting held off hard-charging favorite Epicenter to win the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, per the AP . Early Voting stalked behind the leaders for much of the race before moving into the lead around the final turn. He finished 1 1/4 lengths ahead of Epicenter, who was second just like...
for Historic Heat
May 21, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Preakness Prepares for Historic Heat
Delay or cancellation is possible, official says
- One record could fall Saturday before the Preakness Stakes is run for the 147th time. The forecast calls for temperatures in the mid-90s; a reading of 96 degrees would tie the 1934 race as the hottest Preakness ever, WMAR reports. The heat index is expected to be close to 100...
Rich Strike Stuns
May 12, 2022 3:47 PM CDT
Rich Strike Stuns Racing Again
Kentucky Derby winner won't compete in Preakness
- Rich Strike will not run in the Preakness after his major upset to win the Kentucky Derby, keeping horse racing from having a Triple Crown winner for a fourth consecutive year. Owner Rich Dawson made the stunning announcement Thursday, 10 days before the race in Maryland. Dawson said he and...
May 15, 2021 6:39 PM CDT
11-1 Rombauer Takes Preakness
Medina Sprint finishes third after being overtaken on home stretch
- Rombauer has given trainer Michael McCarthy his first Triple Crown victory and denied Bob Baffert-trained Kentucky Derby winner Medina Sprint the chance at a Triple Crown—which would have come with a giant asterisk. Rombauer, ridden by Flavien Prat, won the 146th running of the Preakness on Saturday as an...
No One Was There—But
This Filly Scored a Big Win
Oct 3, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
No One Was There—But This Filly Scored a Big Win
Swiss Skydiver wins the 145th Preakness Stakes in an upset over Authentic
- Those hanging around the heavily restricted stakes barn at Pimlico Race Course this week joked around that Authentic would stare down filly Swiss Skydiver whenever she walked past, the AP reports. "He got a good look at her today," jockey Robby Albarado said. Swiss Skydiver added one final...
Horse Interfered With in
Kentucky Wins Preakness
May 18, 2019 6:40 PM CDT
Horse Interfered With in Kentucky Wins Preakness
War of Will didn't relent down the stretch
- War of Will bounced back from a bumpy ride in the Kentucky Derby to win the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, holding off a field that included a riderless horse that threw his jockey out of the gate and still finished the race, the AP reports. Trainer Mark Casse got his...
One More Bit of Bad News
for Horse Racing Fans
May 7, 2019 12:38 PM CDT
One More Bit of Bad News for Horse Racing Fans
No chance of Triple Crown: Derby winner Country House won't run in Preakness
- The odds of a Triple Crown winner sank considerably when Maximum Security was disqualified at the Kentucky Derby. Now, they've disappeared entirely. Derby winner Country House—named the winner after the disqualification—will not run in the Preakness, reports the Daily Racing Form . It quotes trainer Bill Mott as...
We Now Have a
Triple Crown Contender
May 19, 2018 6:27 PM CDT
We Now Have a Triple Crown Contender
Justify wins Preakness, will try to complete feat June 9
- Justify emerged from the fog and sloshed his way to another victory, holding off several hard-charging challengers to win the Preakness on Saturday and keep alive the chance for trainer Bob Baffert's second Triple Crown champion in four years. On a sloppy track similar to the conditions in the...
2 Horses Die, Jockey Injured in
Early Preakness Day Races
May 21, 2016 1:45 PM CDT
2 Horses Die, Jockey Injured in Early Preakness Day Races
One horse died moments after winning its race
- In a tragic start to Preakness day, two horses died and a jockey broke a collarbone after a spill on a damp, rainy Saturday at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, the AP reports. A horse named Pramedya broke down around the turn in the fourth race and tumbled to the...
2 Down, 1 to Go:
American Pharoah Wins Again
May 16, 2015 5:24 PM CDT
2 Down, 1 to Go: American Pharoah Wins Again
Takes Preakness, will go for Triple Crown at Belmont
- The Belmont Stakes in three weeks just got a lot more interesting. American Pharoah won the Preakness today, just as he did the Kentucky Derby. Now he's just one victory away from the Triple Crown. No horse has done that since Affirmed in 1978. Jockey Victor Espinoza again rode...
Owner: Tonalist Took
'Coward's Way Out'
Jun 8, 2014 8:38 AM CDT
California Chrome Owner: Tonalist Took 'Coward's Way Out'
Horses shouldn't be allowed to crash Belmont with fresh legs, says Steve Coburn
- Let us just say that California Chrome's co-owner isn't taking his pony's lost Triple Crown bid lightly or gracefully. Immediately after his colt placed fourth in yesterday's Belmont Stakes , Steve Coburn blasted Tonalist as having taken "the coward's way out" to victory—that is,...
Will Run After All
May 19, 2014 10:47 AM CDT
California Chrome Will Run After All
NY Racing Association OKs colt's nasal strip
- California Chrome will indeed make his run—nasal strip and all—to be the first Triple Crown winner in 36 years, reports ESPN . The New York Racing Association said today it would allow the winner of the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes to also use the strip in the Belmont...
May 18, 2014 1:20 PM CDT
Triple Crown Bid's Undoing: Nasal Strip?
New York has blocked previous horses from using nasal strips
- California Chrome might abandon his Triple Crown bid if New York officials do not allow the colt to wear a nasal strip in the Belmont Stakes, said trainer Art Sherman today. "I'd have to leave it up to the owners. I know they'll be upset." The...
California Chrome Now
One Win From History
May 17, 2014 5:49 PM CDT
California Chrome Now One Win From History
Wins Preakness, will go for Triple Crown
- California Chrome won the Preakness today to keep alive his bid to capture horse racing's Triple Crown. As a follow-up to his victory in the Kentucky Derby, trainer Art Sherman's horse justified his stature as the overwhelming favorite by outrunning Ride On Curlin to the finish today. Ridden...
No Triple Crown:
Oxbow Wins Preakness
May 18, 2013 5:35 PM CDT
No Triple Crown: Oxbow Wins Preakness
Kentucky Derby winner Orb is fourth
- Oxbow won the Preakness today, ruining Orb's bid to capture the Triple Crown. Oxbow led from start to finish in the race, which ended up being the sixth Preakness victory for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas and his 15th Triple Crown victory, the most in horse-racing history....
39 Years Later,
Jun 20, 2012 8:19 AM CDT
39 Years Later, Secretariat Nabs Preakness Record
Racehorse now holds records for all 3 Triple Crown races
- Legendary racehorse Secretariat has notched a posthumous victory: The Maryland Racing Commission says he did indeed set a race record at the Preakness in 1973 , making him the record holder for all three Triple Crown events. Owner Penny Chenery, now 90, championed the effort for official recognition of the horse'...
Jun 13, 2012 2:38 PM CDT
Under Review: Secretariat’s Preakness Time
Electronic timer at Pimlico might have shorted the champ a record run
- About 40 years after Secretariat ran away with the Triple Crown, the long-dead stallion is getting a chance to break—or at least tie—another record, reports Bloomberg . The Maryland Racing Commission is reviewing his 1973 Preakness victory at the request of owner Penny Chenery to see if video technology...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Mama June's Oldest Daughter Dead at 29
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.