Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
More Trouble for
Oct 5, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
More Trouble for Sheriff Whose Officers Formed 'Goon Squad'
Undersheriff in Rankin County, Mississippi, resigns after allegations emerge about Bryan Bailey
- The undersheriff of the Mississippi sheriff's department whose former officers pleaded guilty to torturing Black men resigned Monday, days after allegations surfaced about his boss. A joint investigation by
New York Times
revealed the local district attorney investigated Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey for illegally...
Man Accused of Threatening
Sheriff Gets Surprise 'Welcome'
Mar 28, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Man Accused of Threatening Sheriff Gets Surprise 'Welcome'
'Welcome to Florida,' threatened Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood tells extradited suspect
- A New Jersey man extradited to Florida to face a charge of threatening a local sheriff was greeted Monday by that very man. As Richard Golden descended an escalator at Orlando Sanford International Airport in the company of officers, Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood stood at the bottom. "Hope...
Sheriff's 'Wheel of Fugitive'
Earns Him a Lawsuit
Jan 31, 2023 7:47 AM CST
Sheriff's 'Wheel of Fugitive' Earns Him a Lawsuit
David Gay says he wasn't a fugitive in Brevard County when featured on video
- In hundreds of videos shared on social media, Brevard County, Florida, Sheriff Wayne Ivey spins the "Wheel of Fugitive" decorated with 10 names and faces. The wheel chooses the "fugitive of the week," whose case Ivey highlights. The goal is to have the fugitive turn themselves in...
Sheriff Who Quit Amid Scandal
Weeks Ago Is Reelected
Nov 10, 2022 11:32 AM CST
Sheriff Who Quit Amid Scandal Weeks Ago Is Reelected
North Carolina's Jody Greene was recorded disparaging Black deputies
- One of the most controversial election results of the week is out of North Carolina's Columbus County, where former Sheriff Jody Greene was elected once again. The reason for the controversy? Greene, who is white, resigned as sheriff only two weeks ago after he was heard disparaging Black deputies...
2 Deputies Killed
in Ambush: Sheriff
Sep 9, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
2 Deputies Killed in Ambush: Sheriff
2 die in attack while serving warrant outside Atlanta
- Two deputies were killed in an ambush while attempting to serve a warrant at a home in a suburb near Atlanta, a sheriff said Friday. The two deputies had returned to their vehicle after knocking on the door when another car pulled up Thursday night, Cobb County Sheriff Craig Owens...
Hey, Florida Man.
Meet Florida Sheriff
Jul 23, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Hey, Florida Man. Meet Florida Sheriff
A few guys with badges are going as viral as some of the dumb criminals they deal with
- When a naked man in southwestern Florida recently raised a ruckus outside his house and threatened a deputy with a kitchen knife, the SWAT team swooped in and apprehended him. Soon afterward, Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno stood on the man's driveway in combat gear for a news conference...
Girls Left a Thank-You Note,
Sheriff Pulled a Gun
in case you missed it
Dec 19, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Girls Left a Thank-You Note, Sheriff Pulled a Gun
Idaho sheriff Craig Rowland drew weapon on group that left 'thankful turkey' at his home
- A couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, girls in a Mormon youth group in eastern Idaho spent an evening taping thank-you notes shaped like turkeys on the doors of congregation members, knocking on their doors or ringing their doorbells, and then running away before the residents could see who had left...
Dec 9, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Basketball Fight Lands Sheriff in Jail
Trooper says Brent Lynch, who's also a coach, hit a member of the other girls team
- A Kentucky sheriff is jailed and four players are suspended from competition after a fight broke out during a girls high school basketball game. A state trooper said Brent Lynch, the elected Owsley County sheriff who doubles as a coach at Owsley County High School, rushed onto the court and...
Judge: Sheriff Can't Force
Teen to Remove COVID Post
Sep 27, 2021 7:32 PM CDT
Judge: Sheriff Can't Force Teen to Remove COVID Post
Deputy threatened arrests over Instagram post early in the pandemic
- Amyiah Cohoon didn't intend to scare anyone or end up in the middle of a First Amendment court case. But after she posted three updates about her bout with COVID on social media, a sheriff's deputy showed up at her family home and told the 16-year-old to take...
Publix Shooter's Targets
Were 'People and Children'
Jun 15, 2021 5:54 PM CDT
Publix Shooter's Targets Were 'People and Children'
Sheriff says nobody warned the man could be dangerous, but others say they tried
- Before he walked into a Publix grocery store last week and shot to death a woman and her grandson, the Florida man posted on Facebook that he wanted to kill "people and children," investigators say. Timothy Wall, 55, didn't know his victims, Palm Beach County officials said,...
in Death of
in North Carolina
May 18, 2021 1:18 PM CDT
No Charges in Death of Andrew Brown in North Carolina
Prosecutor calls deputies' actions justified
- "No officers will be criminally charged," a North Carolina district attorney announced Tuesday in the case of Andrew Brown Jr., who was shot to death by sheriff's deputies who had gone to his home to arrest him. "The officers' actions were consistent with their training and...
Indictment: After Teen's
Arrest, Sheriff Texted 'Chair'
Apr 28, 2021 12:03 PM CDT
Indictment: After Teen's Arrest, Sheriff Texted 'Chair'
Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill is accused of illegally using a restraint chair
- Under US law, restraint chairs can't be used on inmates as a kind of punishment. But that's what a Georgia sheriff is accused of doing over the course of several months last year in the case of four people who allegedly suffered pain and injury as a result,...
Wyoming Sheriff Breaks Ground
Feb 15, 2021 7:15 PM CST
Wyoming Sheriff Breaks Ground
The state's first Black sheriff wants to focus on peace
- As a student at the Wyoming Law Enforcement Academy, Aaron Appelhans used to look at the photos of past graduating classes hanging on the wall. "I got to see, for the most part, ain't a whole lot of people that looked like me around here," he recalled...
In Alabama, It's a
Dec 5, 2020 1:30 PM CST
In Alabama, It's a 'Thugshot' Christmas
A sheriff's department posts its tree on Facebook
- Officials from an Alabama sheriff's department are being criticized for displaying a photo of a Christmas tree adorned with what they called "thugshots" of people who have been arrested, the AP reports. The Mobile County Sheriff’s Office used its Facebook page to post a doctored image of...
Missing Hiker Was Found.
Now It's a Criminal Probe
Oct 31, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Missing Hiker Was Found. Now It's a Criminal Probe
A Utah sheriff says there are too many discrepancies
- Authorities are investigating whether the 12-day disappearance of a Utah hiker was really on the up and up, the
Salt Lake Tribune
reports. The Washington County Sheriff's Office says its investigation of Holly Courtier, 38, is based on "numerous tips" that "the incident was possibly conceived and...
Florida Sheriff Tells Deputies
They Cannot Wear Masks
Aug 12, 2020 9:21 AM CDT
Florida Sheriff Tells Deputies They Cannot Wear Masks
Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods says 'clear communication' is paramount in these times
- Amid the headlines about employees getting pummeled for trying to enforce mask mandates comes a story very much the opposite out of Florida's Marion County, where sheriff's office employees have been told they cannot wear masks. The
reports that Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods sent his...
Sheriff Joe's Loss in Primary
May Be Bad News for Trump
Aug 8, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Sheriff Joe's Loss in Primary May Be Bad News for Trump
Arpaio loses in quest to get his job back in Arizona's Maricopa County
- Arizona apparently has had enough of "America's toughest sheriff." Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has lost the Republican primary to regain his old job, reports Reuters . His former chief deputy, Jerry Sheridan, defeated him in a close, three-way race, with Sheridan securing 37% of the vote...
MLB Team for
on the Fire'
Jul 31, 2020 3:50 PM CDT
Sheriff Slams MLB Team for 'Throwing Gasoline on the Fire'
Top cop for Pinellas County, Fla., says Tampa Bay Rays shouldn't have tweeted about Breonna Taylor
- A Major League Baseball team's tweet on its first official day of play has irked a Florida sheriff, and he even called one of the team's presidents to voice his disapproval. The offending tweet came from the Tampa Bay Rays on Friday morning, but it had nothing to...
A Library Voiced
Its Support for BLM.
A Sheriff Pounced
Jul 29, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
A Library Voiced Its Support for BLM. A Sheriff Pounced
Dan Coverley has backtracked since telling Nevada library not to call 911
- A Nevada library recently posted a proposed statement on diversity and inclusion, and it didn't sit well with the county sheriff. The Douglas County Public Library "denounces all acts of violence, racism, and disregard for human rights. We support #Black Lives Matter," the library wrote in the...
Sheriffs Rebel Against Abbott's
Mask Order, Won't Enforce It
Jul 7, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Sheriffs Rebel Against Abbott's Mask Order, Won't Enforce It
Law enforcement officials in multiple counties say the mandate is 'unenforceable'
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott did a 180 last week on wearing masks in public, requiring Texans to wear them in any county with more than 20 COVID-19 cases. But the mandate is now receiving backlash, with law enforcement officials in several counties noting they won't enforce the order. Per...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.