Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Boy Scouts of America
Stories 1 - 20 |
Upheld in Court
Mar 28, 2023 2:42 PM CDT
Boy Scouts' Bankruptcy Plan Upheld in Court
Opponents argued that $2.4B deal stripped abuse survivors of their rights
- A federal district court judge has upheld the approval of a $2.4 billion bankruptcy reorganization plan aimed at resolving tens of thousands of child sexual abuse claims against the Boy Scouts of America. The ruling docketed Tuesday rejects arguments by non-settling insurance companies and attorneys representing dissenting abuse survivors...
Boy Scout Troop's
Hike Ends in Tragedy
Mar 6, 2023 6:25 AM CST
Boy Scout Troop's Hike Ends in Tragedy
Mom of one of the Scouts is killed by falling tree in California's Rancho San Antonio County Park
- A Boy Scout troop's hike turned tragic over the weekend after a falling tree killed the mom of one of its members. Per NBC Bay Area and KPIX , the group from Sunnyvale was trekking through Rancho San Antonio County Park in Cupertino at around 10am on Sunday, in a...
He Earned $11K and Used It
to Buy Gifts for Other Kids
Dec 20, 2022 2:25 PM CST
He Earned $11K and Used It to Buy Gifts for Other Kids
Jonathan Werner makes it a tradition
- Hundreds of children in domestic violence shelters and foster homes will get presents this year thanks to the compassion and salesmanship of Jonathan Werner, a Scout in Minnesota’s Troop 506. KARE 11 found him selling Boy Scout popcorn outside a department store. The 12-year-old has been doing this for...
Judge Approves $2.46B Plan
in Abuse Case Against Scouts
Sep 8, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Judge Approves $2.46B Plan in Abuse Case Against Scouts
More than 80,000 men have filed claims
- A bankruptcy judge on Thursday approved a $2.46 billion reorganization plan proposed by the Boy Scouts of America, which would allow it to keep operating while compensating tens of thousands of men who say they were sexually abused as children while involved in Scouting. Although legal hurdles remain, the...
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit
Arguing Branding Confusion
Apr 7, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit Arguing Branding Confusion
Boy Scouts can avoid gender references by using 'scouting,' ruling says
: The Girl Scouts have lost the legal argument that its brand and recruiting efforts have been damaged by the wording used by Boy Scouts in marketing. Because Boy Scouts are entitled to leave gender out of it by using "scouting" and similar terms, "there are no issues...
Feb 10, 2022 5:42 PM CST
Boy Scouts Agree on $2.6B Fund in Settlement
Total amount for sexual abuse victims could be the largest ever
- Two years after filing for Chapter 11 protection while facing a flood of child sex abuse lawsuits, the Boy Scouts of America has reached a tentative settlement with an official bankruptcy committee representing more than 80,000 men who say they were molested as children by Scout leaders and others....
Boy Scouts Reach
in Bankruptcy Case
Jul 2, 2021 12:06 AM CDT
Boy Scouts Reach Pivotal Agreement in Bankruptcy Case
It would be one of the largest sums in US history involving sexual abuse cases
- The Boy Scouts of America have reached an $850 million agreement with attorneys representing some 60,000 victims of child sex abuse in what could prove to be a pivotal moment in the organization’s bankruptcy case, the AP reports. The settlement would mark one of the largest sums in...
Boy Scouts Plan 'Unthinkable'
Move to Pay Abuse Claims
Mar 3, 2021 8:41 AM CST
Boy Scouts Plan 'Unthinkable' Move to Pay Abuse Claims
Group says it will sell the nearly 60 paintings it owns by Norman Rockwell
- The Boy Scouts of America this week proposed establishing a fund of at least $300 million that would be used to settle the more than 80,000 sex-abuse claims it faces. An attorney for 1,000 of those alleged victims called that amount "chump change" in comments to CNN...
Sexual Abuse Claims
Pour In Against Boy Scouts
Nov 16, 2020 4:37 PM CST
Sexual Abuse Claims Pour In Against Boy Scouts
Court receives more than 82K filings before deadline
- A bankruptcy court in Delaware handling the Boy Scouts of America case set a deadline of Monday for people who say they were sexually abused to file claims. By late Sunday, 82,663 had, from every state as well as military bases in Germany and Japan, the
New York Times
Badge Inspired by
Black Lives Matter
Jun 17, 2020 8:03 AM CDT
Scouts' Latest Badge Inspired by Black Lives Matter
You'll now need to earn a diversity and inclusion badge to ascend to Eagle Scout status
- Becoming an Eagle Scout, an elite rank within the Boy Scouts, requires time, effort, tenacity—and now, a new merit badge inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement. The Boy Scouts of America announced Monday that those who wish to attain Eagle Scout status must now earn a "diversity...
Boy Scouts of America
Files for Bankruptcy
Feb 18, 2020 6:55 AM CST
Boy Scouts of America Files for Bankruptcy
Organization faced flood of sexual abuse lawsuits
- The Boy Scouts of America, fighting for survival amid a flood of sexual abuse lawsuits, has filed for bankruptcy protection. The Chapter 11 filing early Tuesday marks the start of what is expected to be one of the most complex bankruptcies in US history, lawyers tell NBC . Changes in statute-of-limitation...
Suit: Boy Scouts Hiding
Aug 7, 2019 7:46 AM CDT
Suit: Boy Scouts Hiding 'Pedophilia Epidemic'
Lawyer group says it has 800 clients in the wings and has identified 350 new alleged abusers
- A lawsuit was filed Monday in Philly against the Boy Scouts of America on behalf of a man who says a Scout leader sexually abused him for years in the '70s, and the lawyer group that filed the complaint says there's new proof that the BSA tried to...
Hundreds of Men Join
Boy Scouts Lawsuit
May 27, 2019 11:14 AM CDT
Hundreds of Men Join Boy Scouts Lawsuit
But talking about what happened is still hard
- Sharing their stories doesn't come easily for these middle-aged men, the AP reports. At times, their eyes well up or their voices crack as they describe being sexually abused in the Boy Scouts and suffering from emotional damage long afterward. Looking back, they all remember vividly how excited they...
Lawyer: 7.8K Suspects Named
in Boy Scout 'Perversion Files'
Apr 24, 2019 4:35 AM CDT
Lawyer: 7.8K Suspects Named in Boy Scout 'Perversion Files'
He says expert found there were more than 12K victims
- The Boy Scouts of America "perversion files" contain the names of a staggering number of suspected pedophiles and their victims, an attorney revealed Tuesday. Jeff Anderson, who represents former Scouts who say they were abused, said an expert hired by the Scouts to audit the files on suspected abusers...
Girl Scouts to Boy Scouts: You
Have to Keep the Word 'Boy'
Nov 7, 2018 5:33 AM CST
Girl Scouts to Boy Scouts: You Have to Keep the Word 'Boy'
GSUSA claims trademark infringement in new suit over gender-neutral 'scouts'
- The Boy Scouts program will soon have a new name, and a more "inclusive nature" as it allows girls into its ranks, but its sister group is rankled over the whole rebrand. Per MarketWatch and
, a complaint filed by the Girl Scouts of the USA on Tuesday in...
Sand Dune Collapse Kills
12-Year-Old Boy Scout
Sep 30, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Sand Dune Collapse Kills 12-Year-Old Boy Scout
Gage Wilson was found unresponsive at Van Buren State Park
- Police say a 12-year-old Boy Scout has died after being buried by sand at a Michigan park. South Haven police tell TV station WWMT that the boy dug into the side of a sand dune Saturday and crawled into the small space. The sand collapsed while Gage Wilson of the...
Boy Scouts Neckerchief
Sep 28, 2018 10:37 AM CDT
Boy Scouts Neckerchief Sliders Recalled
About 110,000, due to lead content
- Part of the Boy Scout oath is to keep oneself physically strong, meaning Scouts should heed uniform-related news out of the Consumer Product Safety Commission: Fox News reports about 110,000 brass neckerchief sliders have been recalled due to lead content. "The colored enamel on the neckerchief slides contains...
Behind Obama's Silence:
a Focus on the Long Game
Jun 28, 2018 1:10 PM CDT
Behind Obama's Silence: a Focus on the Long Game
A 'New York' profile says former president sees what's happening as a 'blip' in history
- Gabriel Debenedetti sets out to answer a question raised in the headline of a lengthy piece in
magazine: "Where Is Barack Obama?" In one sense, the answer is easy: He's traveling the world giving speeches, having visited every continent but Antarctica since leaving office. But in...
Jun 26, 2018 9:02 AM CDT
Tragedy Strikes Boy Scout Summer Camp
Teen killed after tree falls on tent
- The last week of a Boy Scout summer camp in Georgia ended in tragedy when a tree fell on a Texas teen's tent, killing him. The
reports the incident took place at the Bert Adams Boy Scout Camp in Covington, and that a weather alert had been...
After More Than a Century,
Mormons Dump Boy Scouts
May 9, 2018 8:10 AM CDT
After More Than a Century, Mormons Dump Boy Scouts
The complete severing will come at the end of 2019
- The Mormon church said Tuesday it will sever all ties with the Boy Scouts of America at the end of 2019 and place its remaining 425,000 boys into a gospel-focused youth program it's developing. The move ends what
calls a "long, symbiotic relationship," one...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.