Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Missing Michigan Family
Seen at UP Gas Station
Oct 23, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Missing Michigan Family Seen at UP Gas Station
Anthony Cirigliano told police he was in danger because he had information on 9/11 attacks
: A family that disappeared after the father told police he was in danger was spotted at a gas station in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on Monday, NBC News reports. Surveillance video shows the Ciriglianos buying gas and fuel in Gulliver, about 170 miles north of the family's home...
Sep 11, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Marking 9/11, Biden Says the Fight Goes On
President pledges pursuit of terrorists continues though war in Afghanistan ended
- President Biden marked the 21st anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks on Sunday, taking part in a somber wreath-laying ceremony at the Pentagon and paying tribute to "extraordinary Americans" who lost their lives on one of the nation's darkest days. Held under a steady rain, the ceremony occurred...
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep
Empathy' for 9/11 Families
Jun 14, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Mickelson: I Have 'Deep Empathy' for 9/11 Families
But veteran golfer will still play in LIV Golf pro league funded by Saudi Arabia
- Phil Mickelson has the "deepest sympathy" for the families of those killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks—but he'll continue to play in the professional golf league lavishly funded by the Saudi Arabian government 's Public Investment Fund. The golfer was among several pros called out by...
Alleged 9/11 Plotters
Present List of Demands
Mar 16, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Alleged 9/11 Plotters Present List of Demands
It's part of plea agreement talks as their cases drag on in military court
- Possible plea agreements could include life sentences for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his four alleged accomplices if they were to admit to carrying out the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Plea agreement negotiations are unfolding at Guantanamo Bay, with defendants pushing to have execution taken off the table, the
New York Times
After 20 Years, Suspected
'20th Hijacker' Leaves Gitmo
Mar 7, 2022 5:35 PM CST
After 20 Years, Suspected '20th Hijacker' Leaves Gitmo
Mohammad Ahmad al-Qahtani has been flown back to Saudi Arabia
- A Saudi prisoner at the Guantanamo Bay detention center who was suspected of trying to join the 9/11 hijackers has been sent back to his home country for treatment for mental illness, the Department of Defense said Monday. Mohammad Ahmad al-Qahtani was flown to Saudi Arabia, to a treatment facility,...
Biden Declassifies 9/11
Documents on Saudi Nationals
Sep 12, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Biden Declassifies 9/11 Documents on Saudi Nationals
Victims' families applauded the move
- The FBI late Saturday released a newly declassified document related to logistical support given to two of the Saudi hijackers in the run-up to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The document details contacts the hijackers had with Saudi associates in the US but does not provide proof that...
Trapped in Rubble, Woman
Finally Heard 'I Got You'
Sep 11, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Trapped in Rubble, Woman Finally Heard 'I Got You'
Genelle Guzman McMillan was the last person rescued from the World Trade Center
- Twenty-seven hours after Tower 1 at the World Trade Center collapsed on Sept. 11, 2001, Genelle Guzman McMillan was about to give up. She was in pain, unable to move in the rubble and, with dust in her mouth and nose, unable to call out for help. "I knew...
on a Plane That
Diverted on 9/11.
Sep 11, 2021 2:55 PM CDT
They Were on a Plane That Diverted on 9/11. Love Followed
CNN tells the story of Nick Marson and Diane Kirschke's unlikely meeting
- Nick Marson and Diane Kirschke have known each other for 20 years—pretty much to the day. The two were on a Continental flight from London to Houston on 9/11 and ended up diverting to the tiny town of Gander in Newfoundland, Canada. After 24 hours stuck on their plane...
A Nation Grieves,
20 Years On
Sep 11, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
A Nation Grieves, 20 Years On
Ex-presidents, Queen Elizabeth, Bruce Springsteen offer tributes on 20th anniversary of Sept. 11
- The 9/11 anniversary commemoration at ground zero began Saturday with a tolling bell and a moment of silence, exactly 20 years after the start of the deadliest terror attack on US soil. The anniversary comes under the pall of a pandemic and in the shadow of the US withdrawal from...
He Spent Weeks
on the Pile After 9/11.
What Did It Do to His Brain?
Sep 11, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
He Spent Weeks on the Pile After 9/11. What Did It Do to His Brain?
The 'Washington Post' looks at cognitive decline among first responders
- In 2015, at age 52, Ron Kirchner was diagnosed with dementia. His wife was told an MRI scan of Kirchner's brain could be mistaken for that of an 85-year-old. What makes that reality all the more tragic is this: Kirchner was a firefighter who spent almost 600 hours—the...
20 Years After 9/11,
a Still-Unfinished WTC
Sep 10, 2021 1:41 PM CDT
20 Years After 9/11, a Still-Unfinished WTC
Construction continues on 2 skyscrapers, church, performing arts center at World Trade Center site
- Two decades after its destruction in the Sept. 11 attacks, the work to rebuild the World Trade Center complex remains incomplete. Two planned skyscrapers, a performing arts center, and a church are still unfinished at the site, which plays host Saturday to the annual ceremony honoring nearly 3,000 people...
Steve Buscemi Opens Up
About Post-9/11 PTSD
Sep 10, 2021 8:03 AM CDT
Steve Buscemi Opens Up About Post-9/11 PTSD
After attacks, he volunteered with his former fire company at Ground Zero
- The 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks is bringing back traumatic memories for countless Americans—including Steve Buscemi, who was a New York City firefighter before he was an actor. He served with the Engine 55 company in Manhattan from 1980 to 1984, and returned to volunteer with the company...
Are Now in 9th Year
Sep 8, 2021 1:30 AM CDT
9/11 Mastermind's Pre-Trial Hearings Are Now in 9th Year
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was joined by 4 other defendants for first hearing in 18 months
- Pre-trial hearings in the case against alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other defendants allegedly involved in the 2001 attacks resumed Tuesday for the first time in a year and a half. They were suspended last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The hearings are now in their...
9/11 Files After
Sep 3, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Biden Releases 9/11 Files After Dispute With Families
Victims' relatives are looking for a connection between the attack and the Saudi government
- President Biden signed an executive order Friday directing the declassification of certain documents related to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, a supportive gesture to victims' families who have long sought the records in hopes of implicating the Saudi government. The order, coming just before the 20th anniversary of the...
Spike Lee Edits
Aug 27, 2021 7:01 AM CDT
Spike Lee Edits HBO Episode After Criticism
Filmmaker cuts discussion of Twin Towers' collapse from 'NYC Epicenters 9/11-2021½'
- Spike Lee has re-edited the final episode of a four-part HBO series on the Sept. 11 terror attacks after criticism that it gave a platform to conspiracy theorists.
NYC Epicenters 9/11-2021½
, the first episode of which aired Sunday, explores how New York City has weathered events like the coronavirus pandemic...
Bobby McIlvaine Died on 9/11.
This Is the Shape Grief Took
Aug 13, 2021 10:08 AM CDT
Bobby McIlvaine Died on 9/11. This Is the Shape Grief Took
Jennifer Senior on how his parents, brother, intended fiancee have coped
- "'The only thing I do is 9/11 stuff,' Bob Sr. says. 'My whole basis of everything revolves around the day.'" That's understandable. Bob McIlvaine Sr. lost his 26-year-old son that day, and in a lengthy piece for the
, Jennifer Senior presents a...
Secret 9/11 Files
May Be Coming Out
Aug 10, 2021 8:43 AM CDT
Secret 9/11 Files May Be Coming Out
Victims' families, looking for links to the Saudi government, are piling on pressure
- Under pressure, the Biden administration plans to review classified information on the 9/11 attacks to determine what information might now, on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the attacks, be safely released to the public. This comes days after more than 1,600 people affected by the attacks—survivors,...
9/11 Families Set Condition
for Biden to Attend Memorials
Aug 6, 2021 3:37 PM CDT
9/11 Families Set Condition for Biden to Attend Memorials
Relatives, first responders, and survivors want documents released that might implicate Saudi leaders
- President Biden has been informed that he won't be welcome at events marking the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks unless he declassifies documents that could tie Saudi Arabian leaders to the terrorism. More than 1,800 relatives of victims, first responders, and attack survivors have signed onto...
Lawmakers Want to Stop
Sale of Historic 9/11 Ship
Apr 29, 2021 3:35 AM CDT
Lawmakers Want to Stop Sale of Historic 9/11 Ship
Coast Guard cutter helped coordinate rescues
- A bipartisan group of lawmakers is pushing to stop the sale of a ship that played a key role in what is believed to be history's largest maritime rescue—the evacuation of an estimated 500,000 stranded civilians from lower Manhattan in the hours after the 9/11 attacks. The...
Feds: Man Trained as Pilot,
Planned 9/11-Style Attack
Dec 16, 2020 1:27 PM CST
Feds: Man Trained as Pilot, Planned 9/11-Style Attack
Kenyan man researched hijacking methods
- A Kenyan man has been indicted in a case that "eerily draws parallels" to the 9/11 attacks, the Department of Justice says. Cholo Abdi Abdullah "obtained pilot training in the Philippines in preparation for seeking to hijack a commercial aircraft and crash it into a building in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.