Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Forgot About
His Whisky for
30 Years. It Was
a $1.2M Blessing
Apr 26, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
He Forgot About His Whisky for 30 Years. It Was a $1.2M Blessing
Cask of Macallan distilled in 1988 smashes auction record
- One very lucky (and apparently wealthy) Macallan fan now has enough of their favorite whisky to share with at least 500 friends, after scooping up a cask of it for nearly $1.2 million—the most expensive cask ever sold at auction. Per CTV News , a 100-gallon barrel of the...
An Artificial Nose
Is Sniffing Out
Apr 19, 2022 9:42 AM CDT
An Artificial Nose Is Sniffing Out Fake Whiskey
Study suggests NOS.E prototype is quite accurate and quick to boot
- Few people can identify a whiskey from only a sniff—which is a problem for those willing to pay more than $10,000 for a supposedly rare dram in an industry proliferated by fake vintages . At least it was a problem before the NOS.E—an electronic nose that researchers...
Try to Hack
Feb 15, 2021 11:06 AM CST
Whiskey Makers Try to Hack Tradition
New processes might eliminate the need for the usual aging process
- Most people want to turn back time. Among whiskey makers, a quest has evolved to speed it up. Last fall, Silicon Valley startup Bespoken Spirits made headlines by raising $2.6 million in seed funding to introduce a rapid-aging process that would nix having to mature whiskey in barrels, which...
Guy's 28 Years of
Now Worth a
in case you missed it
Sep 12, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Guy's 28 Years of Birthday Whisky Now Worth a Down Payment
Matthew Robson got a bottle of 18-year-old Macallan every year for 28 years; it's worth $52K
- On the occasion of their first birthday, most kids get a cake with a cartoon character du jour on it and some toys they'll never remember. On the occasion of Matthew Robson's first birthday, dad Pete got him an 18-year-old bottle of Macallan single malt whisky, which you...
Spirits Industry First:
a Paper Bottle
Jul 13, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Spirits Industry First: a Paper Bottle
Diageo announces Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky will have plastic-free packaging starting next spring
- Tired: drinking out of a paper bag. Wired: drinking out of a paper bottle. Starting next year, you'll be able to do the latter, thanks to a spirits industry first. Reuters reports that Diageo—maker of such brands as Tanqueray, Captain Morgan, and Smirnoff, among others—has teamed up...
Vatican Has Pope's Joke
Cut From Documentary
Apr 17, 2020 5:18 AM CDT
Vatican Has Pope's Joke Cut From Documentary
It was a good-humored moment involving scotch whisky
- Scotch whisky is "the real holy water," Pope Francis joked when a group of student priests from Scotland presented him with a bottle—but Vatican censors didn't laugh when they saw the footage. The moment when the seminarians presented Francis with a bottle of Oban 14 malt...
'Perfect' Whiskey Collection
Is Going Up for Sale
Dec 9, 2019 10:49 AM CST
'Perfect' Whiskey Collection Is Going Up for Sale
Private collection of 3,900 bottles, many of them rare, could fetch up to $10.5M in total at auction
- What to get as a gift for the person who has everything? Consider the largest private collection of whiskey ever to go up for public sale. Of course, you'll have to have anywhere from $9.2 million to $10.5 million to afford said collection, which is referred to...
Is Bad News for
Aug 6, 2019 1:43 PM CDT
Artificial 'Tongue' Is Bad News for Counterfeit Whisky
Device allows for 'faster and more accurate' testing
- Counterfeit whisky is a big problem —hence why researchers in Scotland have invented a "tongue" better able to distinguish between fake and authentic bottles than the human equivalent. Alasdair Clark of the University of Glasgow explains the artificial tongue "uses two different types of nanoscale metal '...
Whisky Comes at a Price
Feb 26, 2019 9:50 AM CST
'Inconceivably Smooth' Whisky Comes at a Price
Bottle of Macallan 1926 expected to fetch up to $923K at auction
- Only 40 bottles of Macallan 1926 whisky were produced in 1986. Of those, 12 featured a label designed by Sir Peter Blake, one of the artists who created the cover art for The Beatles' 1967 album
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
, per Vox
The ultra-rare bottle could now...
There's a Good
Chance Your Rare
Scotch Is Fake
Dec 20, 2018 11:00 AM CST
There's a Good Chance Your Rare Scotch Is Fake
Be careful what you buy, especially if it's claimed as a single malt
- A word of warning if you plan to celebrate the holidays by sipping on vintage Scotch whisky: There's a solid chance the stuff you have is fake. Advanced lab tests on 55 bottles of rare scotch nabbed from auctions, private collections, and retailers revealed 21 were outright fakes or...
Johnnie Walker May Soon
Have a Lady Friend
Jan 15, 2018 12:38 PM CST
Johnnie Walker May Soon Have a Lady Friend
Parent company Diageo has reportedly filed trademark documents for Jane Walker
- Tarzan had his Jane, and so, too, will Johnnie. Thanks to the "Me Too" and "Time's Up" movements, gender equality is gaining new awareness in the workplace, and now perhaps in your whisky: TMZ reports that Diageo, parent company of the Johnnie Walker brand, put in the...
Brexit Worry: Whisky
Jul 30, 2017 7:03 AM CDT
Scotland's New Brexit Worry: Whisky
Minister wants UK to extend EU standards so inferior booze doesn't invade market
- Scotland has found one more thing to fret about as Britain drags it toward a breakup with the European Union: Its precious whisky. Scotland has called for Scotch to be defined in UK law so its vital whisky industry—worth about $5.3 billion in exports—can be protected after...
Forget a New Car,
Buy This $35K
Bottle of Scotch
Jun 29, 2016 8:21 AM CDT
Forget a New Car, Buy This $35K Bottle of Scotch
Macallan's 65-year-old whisky comes in a decanter inspired by Lalique perfume bottles
- Macallan has an ample portfolio of quinquagenarian and sexagenarian spirits, but it's the release of one that's "old enough to collect Social Security benefits," as Eater puts it, that's got booze buffs abuzz. "Peerless Spirit" Scotch whisky, which comes in a decanter inspired by...
Jul 31, 2015 3:20 PM CDT
Space Station's New Experiment: Aging Whisky
Japanese maker Suntory is sending up samples to see how they turn out
- Just imagine what Don Draper could do in the ad pitch: Renowned Japanese whisky maker Suntory is sending up booze to age for at least a year on the International Space Station, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The idea is to see what effect zero gravity has on the process,...
On Shelves Soon:
Scotch in a Can
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 8, 2012 7:00 PM CST
On Shelves Soon: Scotch in a Can
Scottish company will sell 12-ounce cans for $5
- You'll soon be able to crack open and swig down a can of… Scotch whisky? Liquor company Scottish Spirits Imports plans to introduce aluminum cans filled with Scotch to the US by February 1. Each can will contain 12 ounces of the 80-proof liquor, or about eight shots' worth,...
Dec 15, 2011 7:04 PM CST
Malt Whisky Fetches Record $73K
Glenfiddich bottle honors oldest living Scot
- A 55-year-old bottle of Scotch has sold for the princely sum of $72,630 at auction, reports Bloomberg . The price makes the bottle of Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve the most expense single malt whisky ever sold, notes Deadline . What's with the weird name? The whisky honors the oldest...
to Fetch $12K
Nov 11, 2011 3:20 PM CST
Japan Whisky to Fetch $12K a Bottle
Yamazaki's latest release has been aging since 1961
- Do you love whisky and also have an utterly ridiculous amount of money to spend on it? Then Suntory Yamazaki has just the thing for you. The distillery will next month release a batch that’s been aging since 1961 for an eye-popping 1 million yen ($12,970) a bottle,...
Ranks Best in World
Oct 26, 2011 3:30 PM CDT
Scottish Whisky Ranks Best in World
Old Pulteney takes prize in industry 'bible'
- A single-malt whisky brewed in Scotland knocked out 1,200 rivals to triumph as the World Whisky of the Year, according to the influential
2012 Whisky Bible
. The Old Pulteney whisky, produced by the Pulteney distillery in Wick, northern Scotland, totaled 97.5 out of 100 points—tying the highest...
Whisky Company Bashes PETA's 'Club' Cartoon
Mar 24, 2011 4:59 AM CDT
Whisky Company Bashes PETA's 'Club' Cartoon
'Anything but a Canadian Club,' says clever cartoon seal
- A whisky company isn't laughing about a clever
-style cartoon concerning seal killing created by PETA. "Anything but a Canadian Club," a sad-eyed seal sitting at a bar tells a bartender awaiting his order in the ad. Now the parent company of Canadian Club whisky has fired...
Back From Antarctic Depths
Jan 17, 2011 7:01 PM CST
100-Year-Old Scotch Back From Antarctic Depths
But you won't be able to get your hands on it
- This is probably a little more special than anything your Average Joe has in the liquor cabinet: Three bottles of Mackinlays scotch whisky, which have sat beneath the Arctic ice since 1907, made their way home to Scotland today. The bottles are part of a crate of circa-1897 whisky found...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
Tagovailoa Speaks on His Latest Hard Hit
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Trump Reacts to NYT Reporter's New Book: She's a 'Creep'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.