Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 20, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Judge Fines Trump $5K Over 'Blatant Violation'
Judge in civil fraud trial blasts former president over post disparaging a court staffer
Updated throughout with new details.
Donald Trump was fined $5,000 on Friday after a disparaging social media post about a key court staffer in his New York civil fraud case was allowed to linger on his campaign website after the judge ordered it deleted. Judge Arthur Engoron avoided holding...
May Have Been
a Divorce Case
Oct 20, 2023 11:28 AM CDT
US Judge May Have Been Killed Over a Divorce Case
Andrew Wilkinson was found fatally shot in driveway of residence in Hagerstown, Maryland, sheriff says
- A district court judge has been fatally shot outside his Maryland home, and authorities are now searching for a suspect in their homicide investigation. The
New York Times
reports that Washington County Circuit Court Judge Andrew Wilkinson, 52, was found in the driveway of his Hagerstown residence around 8pm on...
New State Judge Hasn't Heard
a Case, Faces Impeachment
Sep 7, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
New State Judge Hasn't Heard a Case, Faces Impeachment
Wisconsin Republicans say Janet Protasiewicz is tight with Democrats, must recuse in legislative map case
- Wisconsin Republicans are threatening to impeach a state Supreme Court justice before she's heard a case. Justice Janet Protasiewicz won her April election by 11 points, per the AP . Her win gave liberals a majority on the court, boosting hopes among Democrats that it will overturn the state's...
California Judge Pleads
Not Guilty to Murder
Aug 15, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
California Judge Pleads Not Guilty to Murder
Lawyer says judge's wife died in 'accidental' shooting
- A Southern California judge charged with killing his wife during an argument while he was drunk pleaded not guilty to murder Tuesday, and his lawyer says it was an "accidental shooting." Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ricardo Ocampo ordered Orange County Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Ferguson to surrender...
Liberals, Your 'Hero Worship'
of Judges, Others May Backfire
Aug 14, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Liberals, Your 'Hero Worship' of Judges, Others May Backfire
At Politico, Michael Schaffer argues progressives are hurting their own cause in regard to Trump
- Welcome to the state of politics in 2023: You can now buy T-shirts and coffee mugs celebrating the judge in Donald Trump's federal election-interference case. And as Michael Schaffer points out in an opinion piece at
, Judge Tanya Chutkan is far from the only Trump-related public figure...
Prominent Texas Judge Takes
a Break for Mental Health
Aug 8, 2023 10:49 AM CDT
Prominent Texas Judge Takes a Break for Mental Health
Harris County's Lina Hidalgo says she checked in for inpatient treatment for clinical depression
- A Texas judge put out a surprise announcement this week, announcing she'll be taking a work hiatus to deal with a newly diagnosed condition. In a Monday statement released by her office, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo informed constituents that she had checked herself into an inpatient facility late...
Trump Pushes to Have
Judge Recuse Herself
Aug 7, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Trump Pushes to Have Judge Recuse Herself
Former president says he can't get a fair trial with Tanya Chutkan
- It's not clear whether his legal team will follow up, but Donald Trump himself is pushing for the judge in his election interference case to recuse herself. In a series of posts on Truth Social over the weekend and into Monday, the former president maintained that US District Court...
Jun 6, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Commission: Parkland Judge Should Be Reprimanded
Elizabeth Scherer showed bias toward prosecution in trial, allowed 'emotions to overcome' judgment
- The Florida judge who oversaw the penalty trial of Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz should be publicly reprimanded for showing bias toward the prosecution, failing to curtail "vitriolic statements" directed at Cruz's attorneys, and allowing "emotions to overcome her judgment," reports the AP . The Judicial Qualifications...
Fate Uncertain as
Judges Face Off
Apr 8, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Abortion Pill's Fate Uncertain as Judges Face Off
Texas' Kacsmaryk orders hold on mifepristone access, Washington's Rice orders the opposite
- Access to the most commonly used method of abortion in the US plunged into uncertainty Friday following conflicting court rulings over the legality of the abortion medication mifepristone that has been widely available for more than 20 years. For now, the drug that the Food and Drug Administration approved in...
Trump on Threats.
Now Judge Is
Apr 6, 2023 6:25 AM CDT
Judge Warned Trump on Threats. Now Judge Is Getting 'Dozens'
Juan Merchan and his family, court have all been on the receiving end, per sources
- During his Tuesday arraignment, former President Trump was warned by acting New York Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan not to bring threats against anyone or say anything that could incite violence regarding the hush money case against him. Later that evening, during his speech at Mar-a-Lago in Florida, Trump ripped...
Mind on Complaint
Against NY AG
Jan 20, 2023 1:07 PM CST
Trump Changes Mind on Complaint Against NY AG
$900K sanction from judge on 'frivolous' lawsuits the day before may have spurred the move
- A complaint filed by Donald Trump against New York Attorney General Letitia James deemed "vexatious" late last year by a federal judge has been withdrawn by the former president's legal team. The Hill reports that the lawsuit was pulled back Friday after Trump and his attorneys were hit...
'Despicable' Former Judges
Ordered to Pay Victims $206M
Aug 17, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
'Despicable' Former Judges Ordered to Pay Victims $206M
Pennsylvania judges received kickbacks for sending children to for-profit jails
- Two former Pennsylvania judges who orchestrated a scheme to send children to for-profit jails in exchange for kickbacks were ordered to pay more than $200 million to hundreds of people they victimized in one of the worst judicial scandals in US history. US District Judge Christopher Conner awarded $106 million...
Judge Denies Protection Order,
Adds a Lecture on Marriage
Apr 22, 2022 1:34 PM CDT
Judge Denies Protection Order, Adds a Lecture on Marriage
College student says she was blamed for assault in court
- A college student who went to court in North Carolina for protection from another student who she said had sexually assaulted and stalked her did not receive it. She did get a lecture from the judge about "marriage and commitment," however. Kerry Sutton, the plaintiff's attorney, said...
Judges Reveal Reasons
for Djokovic's Deportation
Jan 20, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Judges Reveal Reasons for Djokovic's Deportation
They backed idea that 'he might foster anti-vaccination sentiment'
- Amid uproar in Serbia , the three Australian judges who allowed Novak Djokovic to be deported from the country on the eve of the Australian Open are now sharing their reasoning: Essentially, they backed the idea that the presence of the top-ranked men's tennis player, unvaccinated against COVID-19, would set...
Judge Tosses Teen's Rape
Conviction, Blames Parents
Jan 14, 2022 7:56 AM CST
Judge Tosses Teen's Rape Conviction, Blames Parents
Illinois judge Robert Adrian said it would be 'unjust' to sentence teen to prison time
- At a bench trial in Illinois in October, a 16-year-old girl testified that 18-year-old Drew Clinton held a pillow over her face and raped her after she fell asleep at a graduation party. Adams County Judge Robert Adrian found Clinton guilty of criminal sexual assault—but he threw his own...
Judge Judy Will Soon
Be Banging Her Gavel Anew
Sep 10, 2021 9:43 AM CDT
Judge Judy Will Soon Be Banging Her Gavel Anew
Judy Sheindlin, and her granddaughter, will be coming to IMDb TV in November
- Judge Judy Sheindlin is returning to television on Nov. 1 with a new red robe, a granddaughter in tow, and the challenge of competing with herself. She announced on Thursday the start date and name of her new show,
, which will be available weekdays on the little-known IMDb...
Facing Death, Evacuation Race
on for Afghan Women Judges
Aug 25, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Facing Death, Evacuation Race on for Afghan Women Judges
Tens of thousands could be left behind in Kabul as Taliban says no more Afghans can evacuate
- A retired US judge working 20 hours a day to evacuate some 250 female judges and their families from Afghanistan says her network is quickly running out of time. President Biden said Tuesday that he would stick to the Aug. 31 deadline for removing Americans and endangered Afghans from the...
Man Doesn't Know
His Mic Is On, Insults
Judge in Hearing
May 6, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
Man Doesn't Know His Mic Is On, Insults Judge in Hearing
Liberty Mutual insurance adjuster monitoring trial via videoconference calls judge an 'idiot'
- A California courtroom became the latest venue for a hot-mic incident last month when an insurance adjuster insulted the judge while monitoring the proceedings remotely. The
reports that Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Roberta Hayashi was trying to figure out where jurors should be seated during an...
Judge Steps Down
'All Lives Matter'
Apr 19, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
Judge Steps Down After Declaring 'All Lives Matter'
Colorado's Natalie Chase earns rare public censure for opining on racial justice, using n-word on car ride
- It's exceedingly rare for a judge in Colorado to receive a public censure, but Natalie Chase just earned one, with behavior that's also now led to her leaving the bench. CBS4 reports that the Colorado Supreme Court has accepted the Arapahoe County district court judge's resignation, as...
Mar 30, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
How Biden's First Judicial Nominees Differ From Trump's
There aren't so many white guys, for starters
- President Biden on Tuesday announced his intent to nominate a "trailblazing slate" of judicial nominees, a field that includes Black, Muslim American, and Asian American Pacific Islander candidates for federal courts and for the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, per the AP . The White House said the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.