Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Person Wasn't Supposed
to Be on World Cup Field
Dec 23, 2022 11:28 AM CST
This Person Wasn't Supposed to Be on World Cup Field
FIFA looking into how celeb chef Nusret Gokce, aka Salt Bae, ended up celebrating with Messi, team
- Protocol has it that only FIFA officials and the winning team are allowed to handle the World Cup trophy, but the soccer governing body has now launched an investigation after one person who wasn't supposed to be on the field Sunday after Argentina's victory had his hands all...
Some People Were a Bisht
Upset by Messi's Garb
at Trophy Ceremony
Dec 19, 2022 4:22 PM CST
Some People Were a Bisht Upset by Messi's Garb at Trophy Ceremony
Others say the gifted garment is sign of deep respect
- For football and soccer fans alike, it was an exciting World Cup, right down to the shootout in a wild final between France and Argentina, who took the trophy for the first time since 1986. They probably couldn’t have done it without the great Lionel Messi, who was in...
Argentina, France Are
Counting On These Players
Dec 17, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Argentina, France Are Counting On These Players
Teams have potential heroes beyond Messi and Mbappé
- Lionel Messi will line up for Argentina and Kylian Mbappé will be on the opposite side for France on Sunday in the World Cup final in Qatar. Messi has been there before but lost in the 2014 final to Germany. Mbappé won the 2018 title after scoring a goal against...
Renowned Sports Writer
Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Dec 10, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Renowned Sports Writer Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Grant Wahl, one of the best-known US journalists in the soccer world, is dead at 48
- Grant Wahl, one of the most well-known soccer writers in the United States, died early Saturday in Qatar while covering the World Cup match between Argentina and the Netherlands. He was 48. US media seated near him said Wahl fell back in his seat in a section of Lusail Stadium...
Qatar Sets Record
With World Cup Exit
Nov 25, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Qatar Sets Record With World Cup Exit
Host nation fails to make it past the group stage
- For Qatar, whose hosting of the World Cup was more than a dozen years and $220 billion in the making, it's over already. The Qatar squad set a record Friday in being eliminated from the World Cup; it's the first time a host nation's team has been...
Team Pushes Back at FIFA:
Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
Nov 23, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Team Pushes Back at FIFA: Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
German Football Association protests after armband ban at World Cup in anti-gay Qatar
- The captains of at least seven World Cup teams planned to wear rainbow armbands in support of LGBTQ+ rights during matches in Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal , before FIFA threatened sanctions. Told the captains would receive yellow cards for the infraction or be removed from the field, per
As World Cup Starts,
This Armband Is Forbidden
Nov 21, 2022 7:31 AM CST
As World Cup Starts, This Armband Is Forbidden
FIFA won't let European captains wear 'One Love' armband in support of LGBTQ rights
- The World Cup is underway in Qatar, as is a controversy over LGBTQ armbands. Several European nations had sought permission for their captains to wear rainbow-themed "OneLove" armbands in support of gay rights—as they have been doing for a while in other world tournaments—but soccer's governing...
Host Country Stumbles
as World Cup Play Begins
Nov 20, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Host Country Stumbles as World Cup Play Begins
Crowd control issues persist in Qatar
- In a seven-act World Cup opening ceremony on Sunday, actor Morgan Freeman extended one yellow-gloved hand to a FIFA ambassador suffering from a rare spinal disorder in an image meant to represent inclusion in a country facing international criticism over its human rights record. That wasn't the biggest moment...
Qatar Turns Back Thousands
From Concert Kickoff
Nov 19, 2022 4:35 PM CST
Qatar Turns Back Thousands From Concert Kickoff
World Cup, with its larger crowds, starts Sunday
- Authorities turned away thousands of fans Saturday night from a concert celebrating the World Cup beginning Sunday in Qatar, revealing the challenges ahead for Doha as it tries to manage crowds in FIFA's most compact tournament ever. Disappointed fans took being turned away largely in stride. Outside the venue,...
2 Days Before World Cup
Begins, an Abrupt Ban on Beer
Nov 18, 2022 7:05 AM CST
2 Days Before World Cup Begins, an Abrupt Ban on Beer
Beer will no longer be allowed in stadiums after sudden U-turn from host Qatar
- Two days before the opening ceremony of the 2022 World Cup, Qatar has stunned fans with a decision to ban beer sales at stadiums despite Budweiser's $75 million sponsorship deal with FIFA, world soccer's governing body. The snap decision suggests FIFA "may no longer be in full...
Facing FBI Investigation,
Head of Think Tank Resigns
Jun 12, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
Facing FBI Investigation, Head of Think Tank Resigns
Agency filing says there's evidence retired general illegally lobbied for Qatar
: Under federal investigation on suspicion of illegally lobbying, the president of the Brookings Institution resigned Sunday. Retired Gen. John Allen did not offer a direct explanation in a letter to the think tank, the AP reports. "I know it is best for all concerned in this moment,"...
Qatar Found Dead
Jun 1, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
Ex-Princess of Qatar Found Dead
Kasia Gallanio had been battling for custody of her 3 daughters
- A former princess of Qatar has been found dead in her bed in Spain. Polish-American Kasia Gallanio, who was once married to Abdelaziz bin Khalifa Al-Thani, the 73-year-old uncle of the emir of Qatar, was discovered in the family's apartment in the resort city of Marbella on Sunday, reports...
He Wore a 'Z' After
Medaling. Now, a Ban
May 18, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
He Wore a 'Z' After Medaling. Now, a Ban
Russian gymnast Ivan Kuliak sported letter, symbol of Russian invasion, while next to Ukrainian
- The letter "Z," a letter proudly tied by the Russians to their invasion of Ukraine, has been spotted everywhere from military tanks to warmongering politicians. One of the country's gymnasts, however, is now paying the price for defiantly wearing his own version of it after medaling in...
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul,
but These Americans Just Did
Jan 27, 2022 6:29 AM CST
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Charter flight thought to have dozens of US citizens heads to Qatar amid flight groundings by Taliban
- Since November, Americans have had a tough time getting out of Kabul after the Taliban grounded most flights. This week, a chartered flight paid for by the US State Department and run by Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs was finally able to depart the Afghan capital for Qatar with...
After Newborn Is Found,
Women Pulled From Planes
Nov 16, 2021 11:38 AM CST
After Newborn Is Found, Women Pulled From Planes
Female travelers suing Qatar after being subjected to invasive exams
- A group of Australian women is planning to sue the government of Qatar after they say they were removed from their plane, detained, and forced to undergo invasive medical checks to determine if they had recently given birth after an abandoned baby was found in a terminal bathroom at the...
Taliban Official Flees
Sep 2, 2021 7:07 AM CDT
Female Journalist Who Interviewed Taliban Official Flees
Beheshta Arghand says Taliban doesn't accept women as 'human'
- The first female Afghan journalist to interview a member of the Taliban says she's been forced to leave her country behind. Beheshta Arghand, formerly of TOLO News, fled Afghanistan as part of the US-led evacuation on Aug. 24 and is now in Qatar, per the
. Arghand had spoken...
In Just 90 Minutes, Hope for
Journos in Afghanistan
Aug 25, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
In Just 90 Minutes, Hope for
Journos in Afghanistan
The paper details the rapid help it got from Mexico
New York Times
on Wednesday reported that it managed to safely get a group of Afghans who worked for the paper and their relatives—24 families in all—out of Afghanistan in a "harrowing escape" that wasn't aided by the US government. Rather, the credit goes to...
From 10 Flights Had
'Invasive' Exams in Qatar
Oct 28, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Australia: Women From 10 Flights Had 'Invasive' Exams in Qatar
Qatar is apologizing after search for abandoned newborn went awry
- A baby was born and abandoned at an airport in Doha, Qatar, and now officials are apologizing over their controversial attempt to find the mother amid the revelation that there may have been more women involved than initially reported. After a newborn girl was found Oct. 2 in a trash...
on Earth, Empty Seats
Sep 30, 2019 2:40 PM CDT
Behind the Fastest Woman on Earth, Empty Seats
IAAF catching flak for turnout at track world championships in Doha
- The women's 100-meter final is called "one of the marquee events" of the world track championships taking place right now in Doha, Qatar, per the AP . Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce took gold in the event Sunday night, making her the fastest woman on Earth. At 32, she's the oldest...
A Big First for OPEC as
One Nation Pulls Out
Dec 3, 2018 6:51 AM CST
A Big First for OPEC as One Nation Pulls Out
Qatar will be leaving the oil cartel in January, the first time a Mideast nation has done so
- The tiny Arab nation of Qatar announced Monday it will withdraw from the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, or OPEC, in January, mixing its aspirations to increase production outside of the cartel's constraints with the politics of slighting the Saudi-dominated group amid the kingdom's boycott of Doha....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.