Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ohio Setting Aside $1M
for Solar Eclipse Costs
Jul 22, 2023 8:59 AM CDT
Ohio Setting Aside $1M for Solar Eclipse Costs
Big crowds are expected for the 2024 solar eclipse
- One of the biggest celestial events of 2024 is set to be an April 8 solar eclipse. One of the best viewing spots? Ohio . To that end,
reports the state has earmarked $1 million to cover safety and security costs during the event. Cities like Cleveland, Dayton, and...
You Might Want to Start
Planning Now for 2024 Eclipse
Jun 18, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
You Might Want to Start Planning Now for 2024 Eclipse
Total solar eclipse next April cuts across 13 US states
calls "one of nature's grandest spectacles"—a total solar eclipse—is slated to sweep across North America on April 8, 2024, from Mexico to Eastern Canada. According to CNN and
, it's a not-to-be-missed phenomenon for sky watchers as the moon slides in front...
Moon 'Bites' Sun in
Partial Solar Eclipse: Photos
Oct 26, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
Moon 'Bites' Sun in Partial Solar Eclipse: Photos
Parts of Europe, Africa, Asia could view it
- Much of Europe and parts of Africa and Asia saw the moon take a bite out of the sun during the second and last solar eclipse of the year, the AP reports. The partial eclipse took about four hours. At its peak, the eclipse covered more than 80% of the...
The 'Ring of Fire'
Jun 21, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
The 'Ring of Fire' Eclipse Looked Like This
People in the eastern hemisphere saw the sun 85% covered by the moon
- Stargazers in Africa, Asia, and parts of the Middle East looked to the skies this weekend to witness a partial solar eclipse, the AP reports. It was known as a "ring of fire" because the moon covered most, but not all, of the sun. It started at at 11:...
The 'Ring of
Jun 20, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
The 'Ring of Fire' Eclipse Is Coming This Weekend
Here's how to see it, weather permitting
- Star-lovers will get a rare treat this weekend when an annual solar eclipse accompanies the summer solstice—and this one will be a "ring of fire" in which the sun is visible around the moon's edges, CNN reports. It can be seen Saturday and Sunday in parts of...
by 'Ring of Fire' Eclipse
Dec 26, 2019 7:55 AM CST
Skywatchers Enthralled by 'Ring of Fire' Eclipse
Annular solar eclipse was visible in southern Asia, but not North America
- The skies put on a dazzling show Thursday, though you had to be in the right part of the world to see it live. An annular solar eclipse—known as a "ring of fire" because the moon covers the sun's center but not its edges—could be seen...
Total Eclipse Was
Jul 3, 2019 4:06 AM CDT
Total Eclipse Was 'Greatest Ever' for Astronomers
Path included powerful observatories
- Eclipse-watchers from around the world gathered in South America on Tuesday for the last total eclipse of the decade. As the moon passed between the Earth and the sun, a 6,000-mile band of darkness caused by its shadow stretched across northern Chile and Argentina, as well as uninhabited Oeno...
Matt Lauer Made
at Least One
Top 10 List
Dec 13, 2017 8:00 AM CST
Matt Lauer Made at Least One Company's Top 10 List
He's up there with Hurricane Irma on Google's annual ranking of favorite searches
- Hurricane Irma and Matt Lauer were hot topics in 2017,
notes—hot enough to propel both to the top of Google's annual "Year in Search" results. Per the site, the results were culled "based on search terms that had a high spike in traffic in...
Bogus Glasses Damage
Eyes of Eclipse Viewer
Dec 8, 2017 11:56 AM CST
Bogus Glasses Damage Eyes of Eclipse Viewer
Woman borrowed a pair for a peek in Staten Island in August
- Experts feared it would happen and, to one woman at least, it did. In
, doctors describe the case of New York's Nia Payne, who looked at August's total solar eclipse through unregulated eclipse glasses and ended up in the emergency room with a crescent-shaped spot obscuring...
Trump Likes Image of
Him 'Eclipsing' Obama
Aug 24, 2017 9:53 AM CDT
Trump Likes Image of Him 'Eclipsing' Obama
He also tweets about Mitch McConnell and James Clapper
- It's been another busy morning for President Trump on Twitter . He's hit a wide range of topics, but one tweet in particular drawing attention is actually a retweet of a supporter's eclipse joke. It shows an image of Trump gradually coming closer to one of President Obama,...
Your Eclipse Glasses Don't
Have to End Up in the Trash
Aug 22, 2017 8:49 AM CDT
Your Eclipse Glasses Don't Have to End Up in the Trash
There's a better way
- If you think your options for what to do next with those now-relatively-useless eclipse glasses are only A) put them in a memory box or B) put them in a trash can, good news. Gizmodo reports on a pleasant option C) give them to kids in need. The president of...
How to Tell If the Eclipse
Damaged Your Eyes
Aug 22, 2017 5:06 AM CDT
How to Tell If the Eclipse Damaged Your Eyes
Looking at sun for 20 seconds 'definitely too long'
- Despite many warnings about the possibility of permanent eye damage—and, in one case, the advice of a presidential aide —a lot of people ended up looking at the sun during Monday's eclipse without the recommended solar filter. Jacob Chung, chief of ophthalmology at New Jersey's Englewood...
Stares at Sun
Aug 21, 2017 4:05 PM CDT
President Stares at Sun Without Glasses
Trump later did don eye protection
- One person who apparently did not heed the warnings about how to view Monday's solar eclipse: the president. As multiple outlets including
report, President Trump appeared to look at the sun without any protective eye wear for at least a moment during the eclipse. Space.com '...
Aug 21, 2017 3:38 PM CDT
14 Stunning Eclipse Photos
Americans got a treat on Monday
- Americans were gazing in wonder through telescopes, cameras, and protective glasses Monday as the moon began blotting out the midday sun in the first full-blown solar eclipse to sweep the US from coast to coast in nearly a century. Scientists said the eclipse would cast a shadow that would race...
Experts: Maybe Don't Watch
Monday's Solar Eclipse
Aug 19, 2017 4:58 PM CDT
Experts: Maybe Don't Watch Monday's Solar Eclipse
Just a few seconds of looking at an eclipse can do lasting eye damage
- Experts really can't stress enough how much you absolutely shouldn't look at this Monday's eclipse without proper eye protection—and maybe not even then. "There are serious risks associated with viewing a solar eclipse directly, even when using solar filter glasses,"
People Are Losing Their
Heads Over the Eclipse.
Not Literally This Time
Aug 17, 2017 1:58 PM CDT
People Are Losing Their Heads Over the Eclipse. Not Literally This Time
What to expect when total solar eclipse hits US for 1st time in 99 years
- On Monday, the US will have a view of a total solar eclipse for the first time in 99 years. We know that thanks to the hard, sometimes-life-risking work of astronomers over thousands of years. In a history of eclipse predictions, BuzzFeed reports two Chinese astronomers were beheaded by the...
Krispy Kreme Has a
Special Treat for Eclipse Day
Aug 10, 2017 7:49 AM CDT
Krispy Kreme Has a Special Treat for Eclipse Day
It's going to 'eclipse' its original glazed doughnut by smothering it in chocolate
- The complete solar eclipse set to grace our skies on Aug. 21 has been the subject of buzz for months, and Krispy Kreme now hopes to add a little sugar to that buzz.
reports that, to commemorate the cosmic event, the chain will offer an "eclipsed" version...
Do Homework Before Buying
Your Solar Eclipse Glasses
Jul 28, 2017 12:00 PM CDT
Do Homework Before Buying Your Solar Eclipse Glasses
Quartz finds some suspicious ones on Amazon
- The first total solar eclipse in the continental US since 1979 is fast approaching and Amazon sellers are ready. Many who typically sell fad items are hawking solar eclipse glasses—meant to block 99.99% of sunlight, per the Verge —in the lead-up to Aug. 21, taking over a...
Oct 22, 2016 3:21 PM CDT
People Are Freaking Out About 2017 Solar Eclipse
It's predicted to be a once-in-a-lifetime event
- It's still 10 months away, but sky gazers are already bursting with excitement—and booking vacations—over what is predicted to be "one of the most spectacular and widely accessible solar shows of our lifetime," per Mother Nature Network . On Aug. 21, 2017, the US will be...
See the Dazzling Solar Eclipse
Mar 9, 2016 6:14 AM CST
See the Dazzling Solar Eclipse
Here are some of the best images
- People gazed at the sky in wonder and cheered while others knelt in prayer as a total eclipse of the sun unfolded over Indonesia on Wednesday, briefly plunging cities into darkness. The rare astronomical phenomenon was witnessed along a narrow path that stretched across 12 Indonesian provinces encompassing three time...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.