Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs
Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
Aug 3, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
McConnell had lobbied Republicans, saying a larger alliance will make US safer
- Russian aggression helped bring Republicans and Democrats together on Wednesday, as the Senate voted 95-1 to endorse letting Finland and Sweden join NATO. A two-thirds vote would have been sufficient, but Minority Leader Mitch McConnell had been lobbying his members, the
New York Times
reports. Since Russia invaded Ukraine, McConnell...
Senate Has Reached
Gun Violence Bill
Jun 22, 2022 12:27 AM CDT
Senate Has Reached Compromise on Gun Violence Bill
Schumer predicts approval later this week
- Senate bargainers reached agreement Tuesday on a bipartisan gun violence bill, potentially teeing up final passage by week's end on an incremental but landmark package that would stand as Congress’ response to mass shootings in Texas and New York that shook the nation. Lawmakers released the 80-page bill nine...
House Makes a First
Move on Gun Laws
Jun 8, 2022 8:00 PM CDT
House Makes a First Move on Gun Laws
Chamber passes legislation, but it stands no chance in the Senate
- The House passed a wide-ranging gun control bill Wednesday in response to recent mass shootings in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas, that would raise the age limit for purchasing a semi-automatic rifle and prohibit the sale of ammunition magazines with a capacity of more than 15 rounds. The legislation...
It's a Close One
May 18, 2022 9:04 AM CDT
It's a Close One Between Oz, McCormick in Pa. Primary
GOP contenders are neck and neck in state's primary, with Kathy Barnette now out of the race
- Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman has won his state's Democratic primary to run for a US Senate seat being vacated by Republican Pat Toomey, but the race to see which GOPer will face off against him is a nail-biter—and it could be a while before the victor is...
Manchin's Approval Rating
Has Jumped 17 Points
Apr 25, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Manchin's Approval Rating Has Jumped 17 Points
Republicans give moderate Democratic senator a big popularity boost
- Sen. Joe Manchin is a popular man these days—but not so much among his fellow Democrats. According to a Morning Consult poll, the West Virginia senator's approval rating jumped from 40% to 57% in the year after President Biden took office, putting him among America's ten most...
Feinstein Reports Showcase
the System's Lack of Options
Apr 16, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
Feinstein Reports Showcase the System's Lack of Options
Ruth Marcus writes that the senator's staff may not be doing the nation a service
- Anecdotes about Sen. Dianne Feinstein's memory issues ring true to Ruth Marcus , based on her own reporting. An article in the
San Francisco Chronicle
detailed the experiences of colleagues and aides with what they said seem to be the 88-year-old senator's fading mental acuity. Writing in the
Cite Concerns on
Apr 15, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
Lawmakers Cite Concerns on Feinstein's Memory, She Balks
'I'm rather puzzled,' 88-year-old Dem senator says of 'Chronicle' report on her mental acuity
- Dianne Feinstein is pushing back on a report that her memory is fading and she may be mentally unfit to continue serving in the US Senate—concerns voiced even by fellow Democrats. On Thursday, the
San Francisco Chronicle
published those concerns from ex-staffers, four senators (three of them Democrats), and...
History to Be Made
in Today's Senate Vote
Apr 7, 2022 6:59 AM CDT
History to Be Made in Today's Senate Vote
Ketanji Brown Jackson expected to be confirmed as first Black woman on US Supreme Court
- Ketanji Brown Jackson is on the cusp of ascending to the Supreme Court, in what will be the first Senate confirmation of a Black woman to the nation's highest bench. An initial vote to avoid dozens of hours of debate on the 51-year-old judge's nomination will take...
Mar 21, 2022 8:10 PM CDT
Jackson Promises Equal Justice
Supreme Court nominee tells Senate committee she'll be impartial
- Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson pledged on Monday to decide cases "without fear or favor" if the Senate confirms her historic nomination as the first Black woman on the high court. Jackson, 51, thanked God and professed love for "our country and the Constitution" in a 12-minute...
Knowing What Long COVID
Can Do, Kaine Backs Research
Mar 5, 2022 12:40 PM CST
Knowing What Long COVID Can Do, Kaine Backs Research
Senate bill would expand treatment options and understanding
- Not much is understood about long COVID or its causes; it doesn't even have an official name yet. A new Senate bill is intended to increase research, treatment options, and understanding about the phenomenon, which one of the sponsors knows something about. Sen. Tim Kaine came down with COVID-19...
Feb 24, 2022 4:31 PM CST
Republican Senator Plans to Retire
Jim Inhofe's decision could prompt a special election in Oklahoma in the fall
- Republican Sen. Jim Inhofe plans to announce his retirement next week, Politico reports, probably putting his seat up for grabs in a special election in the fall. The 87-year-old Oklahoman, who already had said this would be his final term in the Senate, would serve out this congressional session. If...
Obama: Nix the Filibuster,
Pass Voting Rights Legislation
Jan 13, 2022 7:26 AM CST
Obama: Nix the Filibuster, Pass Voting Rights Legislation
In first op-ed since leaving office, former president calls on Senate to 'do the right thing'
- President Biden recently called for altering Senate rules if necessary to remove the obstacle of the filibuster so that voting rights legislation can be passed. Now, a big voice is joining in that same chorus. In what
says is his first op-ed since leaving office in 2017, former...
Aug 19, 2021 5:28 PM CDT
More Senators Have COVID
King, Wicker, and Hickenlooper all have been vaccinated
- A Republican, a Democrat, and an Independent in the Senate all tested positive for the coronavirus on Thursday, despite being vaccinated. Sens. Roger Wicker, Angus King, and John Hickenlooper have all felt symptoms, CNBC reports. "While I am not feeling great, I'm definitely feeling much better than I...
Man Who Pulled Gun on
Protesters Has Big News
May 19, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Man Who Pulled Gun on Protesters Has Big News
St. Louis' Mark McCloskey is running for Senate, decrying 'cancel culture' and 'lie of systemic racism'
- One half of the couple who brandished guns at racial injustice protesters outside their St. Louis mansion last year is now running for Senate. Personal injury lawyer Mark McCloskey, a Republican, announced his candidacy Tuesday during an interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson. "God came knocking on my door...
Geraldo Rivera Says He's
'Pondering' a Big Move
Mar 10, 2021 6:22 PM CST
Geraldo Rivera Says He's 'Pondering' a Big Move
The TV correspondent says he may enter politics
- Is Sen. Rivera in the cards? Fox News correspondent Geraldo Rivera says that he may run for the Ohio Senate seat occupied by Republican Sen. Rob Portman, who has said he doesn’t plan to run for reelection in 2022, the Hill reports. Rivera, who has lived in Ohio since...
Here's a Look at the Relief Bill
That the Senate Just Passed
Mar 6, 2021 11:56 AM CST
Here's a Look at the Relief Bill That the Senate Just Passed
It passed on a party-line vote
- The Senate approved a sweeping pandemic relief package over Republican opposition on Saturday, moving President Joe Biden closer to a milestone political victory, the AP reports. The bill cleared by a party-line vote of 50-49 after a marathon overnight voting session and now heads back to the House for final...
Georgia's David Perdue
Makes His 2022 Decision
Feb 23, 2021 11:36 AM CST
Georgia's David Perdue Makes His 2022 Decision
Former senator says he won't run against Sen. Raphael Warnock
- Former Georgia Sen. David Perdue said Tuesday that he will not run in 2022 to reclaim a seat in the US Senate, eight days after the defeated Republican filed campaign paperwork that could have opened the way for him to run against Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock. "I am confident...
in the Midst of
Chaos,' Big Award
Feb 13, 2021 6:00 AM CST
After 'Foresight in the Midst of Chaos,' Big Award for Goodman
Capitol Police officer will receive Congressional Gold Medal for his actions during Jan. 6 Capitol riot
- One bright spot emerged at the end of Friday's impeachment hearings for President Trump: the US Senate coming together to honor a Capitol Police officer. NPR reports that Eugene Goodman received a standing ovation in the Senate chamber, as well as a unanimous vote from senators to bestow on...
A Hot Senate Race Gets
a Bold New Contender
Feb 8, 2021 9:15 AM CST
A Hot Senate Race Gets a Bold New Contender
Pennsylvania's lieutenant governor John Fetterman is now officially running in competitive 2022 race
- He's 6 foot 8, sports tattoos on both forearms, boasts a master's from Harvard, and has been "portrayed as the face of the Rust Belt" since he served as the mayor of Braddock, Pa., per Politico . Now John Fetterman has a new announcement. "I'm running...
House Delivers Its Case
for Impeachment to Senate
Jan 25, 2021 6:40 PM CST
House Delivers Its Case for Impeachment to Senate
Ceremonial walk begins in the chamber under attack during Capitol riot
- Nine House managers walked their article of impeachment to the Senate on Monday evening, setting up a trial of former President Trump on a charge of "incitement of insurrection" involving the assault on the Capitol on Jan. 6. It's the second time in just over a year that...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
Judge: Blind Side Deal Never Should Have Happened
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.