Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Has Thoughts
on Iran Prisoner Swap
Sep 19, 2023 8:18 AM CDT
Trump Has Thoughts on Iran Prisoner Swap
Former president blasts 'absolutely ridiculous' deal as 5 freed Americans arrive home
- Americans detained for years in Iran arrived home Tuesday after being freed as part of a politically risky deal that saw President Biden agree to the release of nearly $6 billion in frozen Iranian assets, per the AP . The prisoners landed at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, with clapping and cheers heard...
Five Americans Freed
by Iran in Prisoner Swap
Sep 18, 2023 8:24 AM CDT
Five Americans Freed by Iran in Prisoner Swap
Five Iranians freed in exchange, and $6B in Iranian funds are unfrozen
- Five Americans held by Iran have been freed in a prisoner swap, reports the AP . A plane with all five aboard left Tehran on Monday. Three of the Americans have previously been named, and the remaining two wished to keep their identities private. Some have been held since at least...
US Frees Up $6B in Frozen Iran
Funds in Prisoner Swap Deal
Sep 12, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
US Frees Up $6B in Frozen Iran Funds in Prisoner Swap Deal
Arrangement advances to free 5 Iranian prisoners in US in exchange for 5 American prisoners in Iran
- Five American citizens detained in Iran are now set to be released, after the Biden administration agreed to release five Iranian citizens held in the United States. Per the AP , the next step in the deal also included the US issuing a waiver to banks around the world to allow...
One of Putin's
May Be Key in
Sep 11, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
One of Putin's Assassins May Be Key in Prisoner Swap
'Wall Street Journal' explores the world of jailed hit man Vadim Krasikov
- Somewhere in Germany, a Russian by the name of Vadim Krasikov is serving out his life sentence for the brazen execution of a man in a Berlin park crowded with families in 2019. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, after Krasikov calmly shot his victim multiple times, he bicycled away,...
Ukraine, Russia Make
Easter Prisoner Swap
Apr 16, 2023 2:25 PM CDT
Ukraine, Russia Make Easter Prisoner Swap
Adviser to Zelensky says more than 100 troops, others were headed home
- More than 100 Ukrainian prisoners of war have been released as part of a major Easter exchange with Russia, a top official said Sunday, as Orthodox Ukrainians marked the holiday for a second time since Moscow unleashed its full-scale war more than a year ago. While celebrations were subdued because...
Here's What Russia Wanted
in Exchange for Whelan
Dec 13, 2022 12:45 PM CST
Here's What Russia Wanted in Exchange for Whelan
Officials pushed for release of Vadim Krasikov, detained in Germany: CNN
- The family of Paul Whelan is holding out hope that "the third time is the charm." Referencing the releases this year of other Russian detainees Trevor Reed and Brittney Griner, the family said Monday it has faith that freeing Whelan remains a top priority for the Biden administration....
Lands in Texas
Dec 9, 2022 5:56 AM CST
Brittney Griner Lands in Texas
She'll meet wife, undergo checks at Brooke Army Medical Center
- Brittney Griner is back in the US. The WNBA star released from Russian custody as part of a prisoner swap was seen stepping off a plane that landed at Kelly Field in San Antonio, Texas, around 5:30am Friday, CNN reports. That arrival followed the exchange in Abu Dhabi, mediated...
Release May Be a Reward for
Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
Dec 8, 2022 3:02 PM CST
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
Arms dealer gave US no information, and his release could be his reward, analysts say
- Russia had made clear that the release of arms dealer Viktor Bout was important to the government. In July, his US lawyer decreed that "no Americans will be exchanged unless Viktor Bout is sent home." It's not entirely clear why his release—achieved Thursday in a deal...
Brittney Griner Freed by
Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Dec 8, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
CBS News reports she was exchanged for arms dealer Viktor Bout
- Brittney Griner has been freed in a one-for-one prisoner swap for international arms dealer Viktor Bout, CBS News reports by way of a US official. The network reports the prisoner exchange happened Thursday in the United Arab Emirates, the culmination of a deal reportedly reached a week ago and given...
Russia Says Inmate Swap
Has Become More Likely
Nov 18, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Russia Says Inmate Swap Has Become More Likely
A day after Griner is put in a penal colony, diplomat expresses confidence about getting arms dealer back
- A Russian official said Friday that the likelihood of a prisoner exchange with the US has improved, a day after his government imprisoned American athlete Brittney Griner in a penal colony. Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Russia wants a trade that would have the US return arms trafficker Viktor...
Venezuela Frees 7 Americans
Oct 1, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Venezuela Frees 7 Americans
Biden releases drug convicts in exchange for US detainees
- Seven Americans who were detained in Venezuela are coming home after a prisoner swap in exchange for two imprisoned members of President Nicolas Maduro's family, President Biden announced Saturday. The decision to grant clemency to the two Venezuelans, who are nephews of Maduro's wife, was made by Biden,...
Brittney Griner to Learn
Her Fate Within Hours
Aug 4, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Brittney Griner to Learn Her Fate Within Hours
Russian prosecutors request 9.5-year sentence for WNBA star
- Brittney Griner is expected to learn her fate in her drug smuggling case within hours, and Russian prosecutors have made clear they want it to be a harsh one. Prosecutors on Thursday asked a judge to sentence Griner to 9.5 years in prison, just shy of the 10-year maximum,...
This Is the Russian on Offer
in Exchange for Britney Griner
Jul 28, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
This Is the Russian on Offer in Exchange for Britney Griner
Viktor Bout, former Soviet military translator, could pass on intelligence, says pundit
- The imprisoned Russian arms dealer the Biden administration has reportedly offered to swap for Russian detainees Brittney Griner and Paul Whelan is known here as the "Merchant of Death." Viktor Bout—who reportedly inspired Nicolas Cage's arms dealer character in 2005's
Lord of War
Trade to Russia
Jul 27, 2022 4:38 PM CDT
US Suggests Trade to Russia for Griner, Whelan
Blinken says he hopes to discuss the deal with Lavrov this week
- The Biden administration has settled on a proposal for Russia, offering to trade an imprisoned Russian arms trafficker for Brittney Griner and Paul Whelan. President Biden has agreed to the exchange of detainees, which has been under discussion for months, despite the Justice Department's opposition to such deals, CNN...
Russia, US Complete
Drawn-Out Prisoner Swap
Apr 27, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Russia, US Complete Drawn-Out Prisoner Swap
Biden administration exchanges Konstantin Yaroshenko for Trevor Reed
- The Biden administration has just seen its highest-profile release of an American deemed wrongly detained abroad—courtesy of Russia. Russia and the US carried out a dramatic prisoner exchange on Wednesday, trading a Marine veteran jailed in Moscow for a convicted Russian drug trafficker serving a long prison sentence in...
After 6 Years
Detained in Iran,
She's Back Home
With Daughter, 7
Mar 17, 2022 12:38 AM CDT
After 6 Years Detained in Iran, She's Back Home With Daughter, 7
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori are released
After years in detention in Iran, two British-Iranian nationals are back in the UK. Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori were released Wednesday and arrived home early Thursday, following months of negotiations between the UK and Iran, the BBC reports. In a photo shared by Ashoori's daughter, Zaghari-Ratcliffe, 43,...
After 3 Years in Iran, 'Another
American Is Coming Home'
Dec 7, 2019 7:30 AM CST
After 3 Years in Iran, 'Another American Is Coming Home'
Princeton grad student Xiyue Wang, 38, released as part of prisoner exchange
- "Another American is coming home." That was the early Saturday tweet from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, with good news for the family of Xiyue Wang, the Chinese American graduate student who's been held prisoner in Iran for more than three years. CNN and NBC News report...
Nov 19, 2019 6:26 AM CST
Taliban Releases Last American Hostage
Kevin King, Australian Timothy Weeks flown to US air base in Afghanistan
- The last known American to be held by the Taliban is free. Kevin King and Australian Timothy Weeks, professors kidnapped at gunpoint while leaving the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul in August 2016, were released to US forces in Afghanistan on Tuesday in exchange for three Taliban commanders who...
to Go Free
Nov 12, 2019 8:13 AM CST
US Taliban Hostage to Go Free
3 Taliban commanders released in Afghan prisoner swap
- Two American University of Afghanistan professors kidnapped by the Taliban three years after they were kidnapped at gunpoint may finally go free. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said Tuesday that American Kevin King and Australian Timothy Weeks would be freed in exchange for the release of three Taliban commanders, including the...
Politico: Obama White House
Didn't Tell Full Story on Iran
Apr 24, 2017 12:46 PM CDT
Politico: Obama White House Didn't Tell Full Story on Iran
Report alleges US gave Tehran more than it admitted
- Politico is out with a damning report about the Obama administration's dealings with Iran last year in the lead-up to a nuclear arms accord. The story by Josh Meyer alleges that former President Obama gave up more than he acknowledged publicly, particularly in regard to a prisoner swap...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
New Army Sniper Is a First
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.