Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
They Figured Out
How to Destroy Assad's
Mar 19, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
They Figured Out How to Destroy Assad's Chemical Arsenal
4 women were the core of an international effort that garnered a Nobel Prize, but not for them
- In 2013, the Nobel Peace Prize went to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons for its role in ultimately destroying 1,200 tons of Syrian chemical weapons. In a deep dive for
Rolling Stone ,
Tessa Stuart gives much of the credit to four women: two civilians not long...
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an
Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
Mar 16, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
'NYT' reports on 2 mass gravesites in Syria, which could hold evidence of war crimes
- The murdered dissidents of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad ended up in mass graves, which could hold evidence of war crimes, the
New York Times
reports after speaking with four men who claim to have worked around two mass gravesites near Damascus, which the
located using satellite images. Each one...
Syria's Biggest Export
May Surprise You
Dec 6, 2021 3:09 PM CST
Syria's Biggest Export May Surprise You
'New York Times' alleges that Syria is a 'narcostate' pumping out amphetamine captagon
- Last week, Syrian authorities trumpeted the seizure of a large cache of illegal amphetamine pills known as captagon and said an investigation was underway to figure out where the pills came from, notes the AP . Now, an investigation by the
New York Times
may provide the answer: The Syrian government...
Convicted Arsonists Are
Executed En Masse in Syria
Oct 22, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Convicted Arsonists Are Executed En Masse in Syria
Human rights activists 'shocked' that 24 were put to death for 2020 wildfires
- Wildfires that swept through Syria last year were intentionally lit, and now 24 individuals linked to setting them have been executed, per the country's Ministry of Justice. Al Jazeera notes that while executions aren't uncommon in Syria, so many being killed at once is unusual. It's not...
In War-Torn Syria,
the President Tests Positive
Mar 8, 2021 8:02 AM CST
In War-Torn Syria, the President Tests Positive
Syria's Bashar Assad and his wife have COVID
- Syrian President Bashar Assad and his wife have tested positive for the coronavirus, the president's office said Monday, per the AP . Both were tested after experiencing mild symptoms, says the statement, which adds that Assad, 55, and his wife, Asma, who is 10 years younger, were in "good...
A Ruling Against a 'Small Fish'
Is Being Hailed as Historic
Feb 24, 2021 2:05 PM CST
A Ruling Against a 'Small Fish' Is Being Hailed as Historic
Germany for first time convicts Syrian regime officer of crimes against humanity
- A landmark decision in Koblenz, Germany, on Wednesday marks the first time a court outside of Syria has ruled in a case involving officials with Bashar al-Assad's regime who are accused of committing crimes against humanity. The
calls it "a historic first victory for efforts worldwide to...
Oct 19, 2020 9:03 AM CDT
WH's Top Counterterrorism Official Had Secret Syrian Meeting
Kash Patel visited for negotiations on Austin Tice, other hostages—the first such visit in 10 years
- American journalist Austin Tice disappeared in Syria eight years ago, and is believed to have been a captive there since. Now, in what Bloomberg calls a "rare sign of diplomacy," sources say the White House's top counterterrorism official has traveled there for secret talks to negotiate for...
Trump Changes Story
on Assassinating Assad
Sep 15, 2020 5:02 PM CDT
Trump Changes Story on Assassinating Assad
He now says he wanted to have Syrian leader killed, but 'terrible general' Mattis objected
- President Trump slammed former Defense Secretary James Mattis Tuesday—but also backed up a report he had criticized Bob Woodward for writing in 2018. Trump told
Fox & Friends
that he wanted to assassinate Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in 2017, but Mattis objected. "I would have rather taken him...
His Daughter Froze to Death.
She Wasn't the Only One
in case you missed it
Feb 29, 2020 1:30 PM CST
His Daughter Froze to Death. She Wasn't the Only One
The battle for Idlib is causing a mass exodus, and children are dying
- If you've grown somewhat numb to the nine-year-old Syrian civil war, this week's headlines may be enough to give you a jolt: "Syria's worst humanitarian catastrophe in its ... civil war is now unfolding," proclaims Vox . "Children Freeze to Death as Attack Prompts Largest Exodus...
Key to Assad's Reign:
Network of Torture Prisons
May 12, 2019 2:44 PM CDT
Key to Assad's Reign: Network of Torture Prisons
'New York Times' looks at the brutality in Syria
- Reports of torture and deaths in Syria's prisons have been surfacing for years, but leader Bashar al-Assad has dismissed them as the exaggerations of opponents or as aberrations that occur in every country during a time of war. The
New York Times
, however, takes a deep dive into the...
Assad Gives Iraq Greenlight
to Strike ISIS Within Syria
Dec 30, 2018 11:32 AM CST
Assad Gives Iraq Greenlight to Strike ISIS Within Syria
Region is readying for coming US pullout of troops in Syria
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Sunday authorized Iraqi forces to attack the Islamic State inside Syria without waiting for permission from authorities in Damascus, state news agency SANA said, as the two allies coordinate their fight against extremists ahead of a planned US withdrawal from Syria. The announcement highlights the...
Trump Warns Syria,
Iran, Russia Against
Sep 4, 2018 4:33 AM CDT
Trump Warns Syria, Iran, Russia Against 'Grave Mistake'
He says 'reckless attack' on Idlib would trigger crisis
- President Trump sent a tweet Monday warning Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his allies against a "reckless attack" on Idlib province. "The Russians and Iranians would be making a grave humanitarian mistake to take part in this potential human tragedy. Hundreds of thousands of people could be killed....
Actress Who Was Syria's
'Scream of Hope' Is Dead
Jul 30, 2018 8:01 AM CDT
Actress Who Was Syria's 'Scream of Hope' Is Dead
Mai Skaf reportedly has a heart attack at age 49 in Paris
- A prominent Syrian actress who became even more well-known as a voice of opposition to Bashar al-Assad has died in exile in Paris at age 49. A colleague tells the
New York Times
that Mai Skaf had a heart attack, though her cousin, author Dima Wannous, cites "mysterious circumstances,...
New World Leader
Wants to Meet
Kim Jong Un
Jun 3, 2018 6:13 AM CDT
New World Leader Wants to Meet Kim Jong Un
Bashar al-Assad says he wants to visit, Kim will 'realize the reunification of Korea without fail'
- North Korea's state-run news agency reported Sunday that Syria's President Bashar al-Assad is interested in visiting North Korea and meeting leader Kim Jong Un. The KCNA report said Assad made the comments May 30 while receiving the credentials for the North Korean ambassador, reports the AP . "I...
Why Assad Is Still
Able to Kill With Gas
Apr 16, 2018 8:57 AM CDT
Why Assad Is Still Able to Kill With Gas
That there was no gas leak at the target sites isn't a great sign
- If your takeaway from the reports on Friday's air strikes on Syria's chemical weapons facilities by US, French, and British forces was that President Bashar al-Assad's ability to conduct future chemical strikes had been eliminated, you'd be wrong. In an analysis titled, "A Hard Lesson...
Putin Issues Dire Warning
After West's Syria Strike
Apr 15, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
Putin Issues Dire Warning After West's Syria Strike
Russia's president called the bombing an 'illegal action'
- Russian leader Vladimir Putin has warned that further airstrikes on Syria will lead to soured relations with the West or worse. Per Reuters , Putin told Iran's President Hassan Rouhani that any such action "will inevitably lead to chaos in international relations," the Kremlin said in a statement...
Trump: 'Big Price'
Will Be Paid for
Apr 8, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Trump: 'Big Price' Will Be Paid for 'Mindless CHEMICAL Attack'
The president hits Twitter after Syria strike
- President Trump responded to news of a Syrian chemical-weapons attack near Damascus with his own weapon of choice: the tweet. "Many dead, including women and children, in mindless CHEMICAL attack in Syria," he tweeted Sunday, per CNN . "Area of atrocity is in lockdown and encircled by Syrian...
Children Are 'Dying Today
in Full View of the World'
Mar 9, 2018 12:05 AM CST
Children Are 'Dying Today in Full View of the World'
Rescue workers say Ghouta violence is 'insane'
- A top UN aid official appealed to the Syrian government and its Russian backers for a cessation of hostilities in eastern Ghouta on Thursday when a second convoy with desperately needed aid was postponed after government forces split the enclave in two, creating an evolving, unpredictable situation on the ground....
UN Sees Secret Partnership
Between North Korea, Syria
Feb 27, 2018 1:47 PM CST
UN Sees Secret Partnership Between North Korea, Syria
Kim Jong Un may be selling Bashar al-Assad parts for chemical weapons
- Two leaders considered to be pariahs by much of the world may be providing each other much-needed help—with dire consequences. A comprehensive new UN report alleges that North Korea is selling equipment to Syria that can be used in chemical weapons production, reports the
New York Times
. Specifically, the...
Report: Mueller Indictee May
Also Run Russian Mercenaries
Feb 23, 2018 10:02 AM CST
Report: Mueller Indictee May Also Run Russian Mercenaries
The same ones who attacked US troops in Syria earlier this month
- Defense Secretary James Mattis earlier this month called "perplexing" the fighting in Syria between US troops and their allies against supposed Russian mercenaries. Now, US intelligence reports may shed some light on the Kremlin's ties to it all, with fingers pointing to a Russian oligarch thought to be...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.