Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Yosemite National Park
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 5, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
Yosemite Rangers Start Debate Over Cairns
They encourage people to knock them down, but others say not too fast
- As public service announcements go, it's on the fun side: Yosemite National Park posted a video of someone knocking over a stacked pile of rocks—a cairn—and encouraged visitors who come across them to do the same, reports SFGate . Why? Yosemite rangers say these structures violate leave-no-trace principles....
100-Plus Homes Were
Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Jun 19, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
100-Plus Homes Were Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Edward Wackerman, 71, is suspected of setting devastating blaze in Mariposa County, California
- An elderly man who lives near Yosemite National Park has been arrested after a forest fire there last year destroyed more than 125 homes. The AP reports that Edward Wackerman of Mariposa was taken into custody Friday, suspected of setting last summer's Oak Fire that burned nearly 20,000...
In California's Sierra Nevada,
an 'Exciting' Rare Find
Jun 6, 2023 7:33 AM CDT
In California's Sierra Nevada, an 'Exciting' Rare Find
For only 2nd time since early 1920s, a wolverine is spotted wandering the Golden State
- A mystery creature that's been spotted in recent weeks wandering the Eastern Sierra in California has been identified, and wildlife officials are marveling. NBC News reports that on Thursday, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife announced the animal is a lone rare wolverine, seen once last month in...
Iowa Braces for Flooding,
and Yosemite Closes Down
Apr 27, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Iowa Braces for Flooding, and Yosemite Closes Down
Warmer temperatures are causing flood threats across the US after a strong winter
- Parts of the US endured a fierce winter with heavy snow. Now that temperatures are warming up and snowpacks are melting, the second part of that double whammy is here—flooding.
NPR reports that Yosemite National Park will close from Friday through at least May 3 because of flooding.
Story of Boy, 8, 'Climbing'
El Capitan Raises Eyebrows
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 5, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Story of Boy, 8, 'Climbing' El Capitan Raises Eyebrows
Experts say Sam Baker didn't technically 'climb' California rock formation
Some veteran rock climbers are speaking out after Sam Adventure Baker's ascent of El Capitan made headlines last week, the Daily Beast reports. Experts tell the
San Francisco Chronicle
that the 8-year-old and his father used a technique known as "jugging," in which they used ascenders—...
Major Bone in
Aug 19, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Climber Breaks Nearly Every Major Bone in Fall, Survives
New Zealand's Anna Parsons is recuperating after terrifying 80-foot plunge on Half Dome
- Anna Parsons and her climbing partner, Jack Evans, had exciting plans before they headed from their native New Zealand to foreign exchange programs in Canada: The pair, who'd met as marine science students at the University of Otago, were going to fly to the US, then scale some rocks...
Jul 24, 2022 1:55 PM CDT
Crews Can't Contain Fire Near Yosemite
Blaze burns out of control in high heat, low humidity
: The wildfire raging near Yosemite National Park, which has become one of California's biggest of the year, remains out of control. And officials said the forecast for Sunday is not encouraging, the AP reports. "Today the weather is expected to remain hot with minimum humidity between 5...
Wildfire Threatens Yosemite's
Iconic Giant Sequoias
Jul 10, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Wildfire Threatens Yosemite's Iconic Giant Sequoias
Out-of-control blaze burns near Mariposa Grove in national park
- The largest grove of giant sequoias in Yosemite National Park is under threat by a growing wildfire. More than 500 of the iconic trees were threatened in the Mariposa Grove, though as of Saturday there were no reports of severe damage to any named trees, including the 3,000-year-old Grizzly...
Graffiti Artists Hit
Yet Another National Park
Jun 13, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Graffiti Artists Hit Yet Another National Park
This time, dozens of sites were vandalized with spray paint at California's Yosemite
- If you visited Yosemite National Park in mid-May, you may be of assistance to the National Park Service in nabbing some vandals. In a Sunday Facebook post , park officials showed images of rocks along the Yosemite Falls Trail covered in blue and white spray paint, some of them with the...
His Climb of
El Capitan Is
His Mom's Is Too
Oct 29, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
His Climb of El Capitan Is Legendary. Now His Mom's Is Too
Alex Honnold's mother, Dierdre Wolownick, is the oldest woman to ascend Yosemite peak
- "Alex didn't think I could do it." That was Dierdre Wolownick yesterday, in a blog post describing her latest feat—climbing El Capitan at the age of 70. As for Alex, who is he, and why does Wolownick care what he thinks? He's professional rock-climber Alex...
In 30 Years, a 'Devastating'
Decline at Yosemite
in case you missed it
Jul 25, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
In 30 Years, a 'Devastating' Decline at Yosemite
Susannah Meadows returns for the first time since her youth
- When Susannah Meadows interned as a park ranger at Yosemite National Park in 1993, the rushing Merced River was so loud she had to close her window before making a phone call. On a return trip this year, her first since that internship, she found the same river to be...
Tragic End to Search
for Distance Runner
Jul 21, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Tragic End to Search for Distance Runner
Fred Zalokar found dead in Yosemite National Park
- After decades as an endurance athlete, Fred Zalokar's final journey was in Yosemite National Park. The 61-year-old, who was well known in the world of endurance sports, was found dead Tuesday, two days after he was reported missing, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle.
The Reno resident had planned an...
Ranger Shares Heartbreaking
Image of Grieving Mama Bear
Jul 21, 2021 12:28 PM CDT
Ranger Shares Heartbreaking Image of Grieving Mama Bear
Hours after crash, it was still calling to dead cub
- A ranger at Yosemite National Park has shared a heartbreaking story of a bear encounter—and a plea for motorists to slow down. In a Facebook post, the ranger says they received an all too common report of "Bear hit by vehicle, dead on the side of the road,...
Heat to Reach
Jul 9, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Heat to Reach Yosemite This Weekend
Hikers will be facing temperatures of 100 degrees or so
- As a heat wave settles in on the West Coast this weekend, Yosemite National Park might sound like an attractive escape. But temperatures at Yosemite are expected to hit 100 or 111 degrees over the weekend, SFGate reports. "Because there's a lot of exposed granite in the park...
Yosemite Climber Survived a
Huge Fall, With Consequences
Jun 30, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Yosemite Climber Survived a Huge Fall, With Consequences
Josh Ourada dug in his heels so hard one 'disintegrated in parts'
- Climber Josh Ourada fell almost 200 feet in Yosemite without dying. But that's not to say there weren't serious consequences. The 31-year-old talks to Outside Online about the April 10, 2021, fall—what preceded it, what he was thinking of as he plummeted, and what he's dealing...
1.6K Feet in the Air
Jun 23, 2021 3:33 AM CDT
They Walked 2.8K Feet—While 1.6K Feet in the Air
Brothers lead group that sets California highline record in Yosemite
- Earlier this month, a group of 20 adventurers set a record for the longest highline ever to be walked in California. What that means: They walked 2,800 feet—while 1,600 feet in the air, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. Bay Area brothers Moises and Daniel Monterrubio led the...
Brothers Set Yosemite Record,
Get Gorgeous Views
Jun 20, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Brothers Set Yosemite Record, Get Gorgeous Views
Moises and Daniel Monterrubio walk a 2,800-foot highline
- Two brothers from San Francisco say they have set a record for the longest highline ever walked in both Yosemite National Park and California, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. Earlier this month, they and a group of friends spent nearly a week stringing a single, 2,800-foot-long line from Taft...
This Is How to Right the Wrongs
Done to Native Americans
Apr 18, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
This Is How to Right the Wrongs Done to Native Americans
David Treuer makes the case that our National Parks should be given to them
- David Treuer's piece for the
is peppered with so many bold lines it's hard to whittle down which to share. But this is a strong one: "The American West began with war but concluded with parks." In his lengthy piece, Treuer, himself a Native American...
They Skied, Rappeled
Down 'Death Slabs'
for a Half Dome First
Mar 1, 2021 11:35 AM CST
They Skied, Rappeled Down 'Death Slabs' for a Half Dome First
Jason Torlano, Zach Milligan seem to be first ones to ski entire 4.8K feet from peak to Yosemite Valley
- Two skiers navigated a thin layer of snow with no margin for error down the precipitous shoulder of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park and alternately skied and rappelled back to the valley floor in an unusually daring feat, per the AP . Jason Torlano, 45, and Zach Milligan, 40, completed...
Hiker Was 'All Smiles' Before
Tragic Yosemite Death
Jan 29, 2021 9:13 AM CST
Hiker Was 'All Smiles' Before Tragic Yosemite Death
Alice Yu Xie was found dead at base of waterfall
- California woman Anna Horn may have been the last person to see Alice Yu Xie before her death in Yosemite National Park earlier this month, and she believes her death was a tragic accident. The 41-year-old's body was found at the base of Upper Yosemite Fall on Jan. 16....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
Judge: Blind Side Deal Never Should Have Happened
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.