Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Olympics Booze Ban
Has an Elite Exception
Jun 28, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
Olympics Booze Ban Has an Elite Exception
VIPs will get to swill alcohol, while the masses will drink water, soft drinks
- Paris has deemed that the hoi polloi will not be getting a buzz on at its 2024 Olympics—but there's a notable exception to its booze ban, and that is the folks in the VIP section. As the
reports, VIPs can swill champagne to their hearts' content under...
Caught in Payment Dispute, an
OIympian Takes Off His Clothes
Jun 18, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Caught in Payment Dispute, an OIympian Takes Off His Clothes
Mexican diver Diego Balleza has started an OnlyFans to help pay for Olympic training
- As a prominent 10-meter diver, Diego Balleza is used to wearing small swimsuits that show off his body. Now, desperate due to a lack of financial resources ahead of next year's Paris Olympics, the Mexican is making a leap to a different platform in which he also wears few...
Ralph Boston Broke
Jesse Owens' Record
May 3, 2023 7:55 PM CDT
Ralph Boston Broke Jesse Owens' Record
Olympian tied or topped world records six times in the 1960s
- Ralph Boston, the Olympic long jump champion who broke Jesse Owens' world record then later had his own mark eclipsed by Bob Beamon's record-shattering leap at the Mexico City Games, died Sunday. He was 83. The US Olympic and Paralympic Committee confirmed that Boston died Sunday at his home...
'Fosbury Flop' Remains
a Lesson in Innovation
Mar 13, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
'Fosbury Flop' Remains a Lesson in Innovation
Dick Fosbury changed high jumpers' technique
- Dick Fosbury, the lanky leaper who revamped the technical discipline of high jump and won an Olympic gold medal with his "Fosbury Flop," has died. He was 76. Fosbury died Sunday, the AP reports, after a recurrence with lymphoma, his publicist said. Before Fosbury, many high jumpers cleared...
Track Dad Who
Helped Son Finish
Memorable Race Has Died
Oct 5, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Track Dad Who Helped Son Finish Memorable Race Has Died
Jim and Derek Redmond participated in 'one of the most inspirational moments in Olympic history'
- Jim Redmond wasn't supposed to be on the track at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992. He wasn't even an athlete, yet he played a key role in what the Olympic Committee calls "one of the most inspirational moments in Olympic history." Per NPR, Jim Redmond died...
Twice a Survivor, 86-Year-Old
Takes Family to Germany
Sep 4, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Twice a Survivor, 86-Year-Old Takes Family to Germany
Shaul Ladany was held in Bergen-Belsen and on Israeli Olympic team attacked in 1972
- Shaul Ladany lived through a Nazi concentration camp and escaped the massacre of 11 fellow Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich. Decades later, the 86-year-old is back in Germany to visit the two places where he narrowly avoided death. On Saturday, Ladany, who was born in 1936...
IOC Reinstates Wins of
'Most Remarkable Athlete'
Jul 15, 2022 8:36 AM CDT
IOC Reinstates Wins of 'Most Remarkable Athlete'
Jim Thorpe is now in the record books as sole winner of 2 golds at 1912 Games
- Jim Thorpe, one of history's greatest and most versatile athletes, has finally been restored as the sole winner of two events at the 1912 Stockholm Olympics. The Native American athlete was stripped of the two gold medals more than six months after the Games when it emerged that he...
Skater in Doping Scandal
Has Disastrous Performance
Feb 17, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Skater in Doping Scandal Has Disastrous Performance
Russia's Kamila Valieva finishes in 4th in a stunner
- It might be the biggest surprise of the Beijing Olympics: Kamila Valieva, the 15-year-old Russian skater embroiled in a doping controversy , had a disastrous free skate on Thursday and finished out of medal contention in fourth place. "Stunning" is the word used by Christine Brennan of
He Had Gold in His Sights After
COVID. Then a 'Silly Mistake'
Feb 16, 2022 11:49 AM CST
He Had Gold in His Sights After COVID. Then a 'Silly Mistake'
Wrong turn likely cost Jarl Magnus Riiber a medal in Nordic combined
- Expectations were high for Jarl Magnus Riiber going into the Winter Olympics. "He's probably going to go down as the best Nordic combined skier ever," NBC analyst Johnny Spillane said, per the
Wall Street Journal
. "If he has a good day, he's pretty much unstoppable....
More on Figure Skating's
Medals Hold-Up Emerges
Feb 11, 2022 6:31 AM CST
More on Figure Skating's Medals Hold-Up Emerges
Doping hearing to decide fate of Kamila Valieva, who could nab another gold
- Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva's right to compete as the heavy favorite in the women's event at the Beijing Olympics will be decided at an urgent hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport after a failed doping test, per the AP . The International Testing Agency (ITA) confirmed...
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,'
Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Feb 9, 2022 6:51 AM CST
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,' Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Lindsey Jacobellis brings home first gold for US at Winter Games in Beijing
- It took 16 years and five Olympic appearances, but Lindsey Jacobellis finally has her gold medal. NBC News reports that the world-champion snowboarder, who first competed in the Games in 2006 in Turin, took top honors Wednesday in the women's snowboard cross, earning the US its first gold at...
NBC: Leslie Jones' Olympic
Commentary Can Continue
Feb 8, 2022 9:07 AM CST
NBC: Leslie Jones' Olympic Commentary Can Continue
Network says it resolved third-party error causing comedian's videos to be blocked
NBC says Leslie Jones can continue sharing her colorful Olympics commentary after a "third-party error" caused her videos to be blocked. "We have resolved the situation. She is free to do her social media posts as she has done in the past," a rep says, per...
China Freaks Out as
Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Feb 8, 2022 6:33 AM CST
China Freaks Out as Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Praise of the US-born Olympian temporarily crashed Weibo
- One gold medal down, two to go for Eileen Gu. The US-born athlete from China nabbed victory in big air, her first Olympic event, on Tuesday, after pulling off her first ever 1620 with a perfect landing. That earned her a 94.5 score on her third and final run,...
On Olympic Ice,
a Huge First
Feb 7, 2022 9:00 AM CST
On Olympic Ice, a Huge First
Russia's Kamila Valieva, 15, is first woman ever to land quad at Olympics
- "HISTORY MADE!" was NBC's excited tweet after a young Olympic figure skater from Russia landed a quadruple jump in Beijing during the women's team free-skate program.
reports that Kamila Valieva, 15, pulled off both a quad salchow (watch her do it here ) and...
In a First, All Snow in
Olympics Will Be Fake
Feb 3, 2022 11:40 AM CST
In a First, All Snow in Olympics Will Be Fake
Beijing practice could be the new norm amid climate change
- The Winter Olympics have long been aided by fake snow. As Quartz reports, it began with the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, NY, as officials turned to snowmaking machines to pump out the white stuff in the midst of a dry winter. Over the years, amid warming global temperatures, officials...
FBI Has Ominous
Advice for Olympians
Feb 2, 2022 8:00 AM CST
FBI Has Ominous Advice for Olympians
Bureau tells athletes to use burner phones, warns of 'malicious cyber activities' in China
- The FBI is urging Olympic athletes to use burner phones while in China over fears that they might otherwise be tracked. "The FBI urges all athletes to keep their personal cell phones at home and use a temporary phone while at the Games," the agency says. It adds...
'It Will Be Fire on Ice' in Beijing
for Jamaican Bobsled Team
Jan 19, 2022 2:17 PM CST
'It Will Be Fire on Ice' in Beijing for Jamaican Bobsled Team
4-man team qualifies for first time in 24 years
- For the first time in more than two decades, a four-man bobsled team from Jamaica is heading to the Olympics. The team secured its spot in the Beijing Games on Monday, proclaiming on Instagram , "It will be fire on ice." NBC News reports the island nation’s last...
After Getting Visa Applications,
China Questions US Boycott
Dec 28, 2021 10:35 AM CST
After Getting Visa Applications, China Questions US Boycott
Biden administration says it's sending help for athletes and coaches, but not diplomats
- Given that the Biden administration earlier this month announced a diplomatic boycott of the Winter Olympics, China is asking why it's receiving visa applications for US government employees. That can be explained, the US answered: Those applications are for consular and security officers—not diplomats or high-ranking officials, the...
China to US Execs:
Push Back Against
Dec 2, 2021 10:15 AM CST
China to US Execs: Push Back Against Olympics Boycott
'The business community cannot make a fortune in silence,' official says
- With the Winter Olympics now just two months away, China seems to be getting worried about calls to boycott the Beijing Games—and it has started putting pressure on American companies with close links to the country. In a video conference Tuesday, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Xie Feng urged American...
Boss Gets 30 Years
Nov 26, 2021 6:27 AM CST
Brazil's Ex-Olympic Boss Gets 30 Years
Former Rio governor among others sentenced to jail for corruption
- Carlos Arthur Nuzman, the head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee for more than two decades, was sentenced to 30 years and 11 months in jail for allegedly buying votes for Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics. The ruling by Judge Marcelo Bretas became public Thursday, per the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
One Line Explained Feinstein's Role in Gay Rights
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.