Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Decade Without Fatal Bear
Attacks, a Chilling Shift in Japan
Nov 9, 2023 5:05 PM CST
After Decade Without Fatal Bear Attacks, a Chilling Shift in Japan
College student among at least 5 people thought to have been killed by bears this year
- Prior to this year, no fatal bear attacks were reported in Japan for more than a decade. Now, police in the country are investigating what's thought to be at least the fifth such attack of 2023. Police on the northern Hokkaido island, where brown bears roam, say the body...
They Were Likely Reading in
Tent When Grizzly Attacked
Oct 5, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
They Were Likely Reading in Tent When Grizzly Attacked
Relative identifies the victims as Doug Inglis and Jenny Gusse
- The couple killed by a grizzly bear in Banff National Park on Friday had been together since their university days, a relative tells the CBC of Doug Inglis and Jenny Gusse, both 62. Describing them as "highly, highly experienced in being out back," Colin Inglis says the two...
Bear Attacks Boy
in His NY Yard,
Aug 23, 2023 9:14 AM CDT
Bear Attacks Boy in His NY Yard, Doesn't Retreat
The black bear was shot dead
- A New York boy was hospitalized following a black bear attack in his yard that ended with the bear being shot dead. The 7-year-old was in the backyard of his Bedford home some 40 miles north of New York City around 11am on Tuesday when the bear apparently grabbed him....
Man on Bear
One Way Out
'Was Through Me'
Aug 5, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Man on Bear Encounter: Its One Way Out 'Was Through Me'
Pennsylvania's John Swartz is OK after bear hiding in his garage bit him on the head
- A Pennsylvania man says he's paying a lot more attention to his surroundings after a surprise attack by a bear in the garage of his home. John Swartz, 60, and his wife Lori, 59, were watching TV at their home outside Danville on the evening of July 27 when...
Officials: Grizzly Bear Killed
Woman Near Yellowstone
Jul 24, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Officials: Grizzly Bear Killed Woman Near Yellowstone
Hiker found body on trail Saturday morning
- A lone hiker was killed near Yellowstone National Park in what authorities believe was a grizzly bear attack, though they have been unable to locate the bear. The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks department said Monday that the woman's body was found by a hiker Saturday morning on the...
in the Nose
Jul 3, 2023 12:57 AM CDT
Maine Woman Punches Bear in the Nose
64-year-old was treated for puncture wounds after bear chased her dog
- Maine woman Lynn Kelly was working in her garden Friday morning when her dog began barking before running off into the woods. Kelly, 64, went to see what was going on, and as the frightened dog ran back out of the woods, a bear was following close behind. "The...
DNA Reveals Fate of Man
Who Vanished in Alaska in 1976
Feb 6, 2023 5:56 PM CST
DNA Reveals Fate of Man Who Vanished in Alaska in 1976
Investigators believe Gary Sotherden died in bear attack
- Upstate New York man Steve Sotherden says the fate of his brother was "much more brutal" than he had hoped would be the case —but at least he now knows what happened to him, more than 46 years after he disappeared during a hunting trip in Alaska. Gary...
Bear Shot Dead
at Jacksonville Zoo
Dec 23, 2022 4:56 AM CST
Bear Shot Dead at Jacksonville Zoo
Lethal weapons team was called in after it attacked zookeeper
- A black bear at the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens was shot dead by the Florida zoo's lethal weapons team after it escaped its enclosure Wednesday and attacked a staff member in an area off-limits to the public, authorities say. "An emergency radio call was initiated and our lethal...
Fighting Off Grizzly Bear,
Hunter Shoots Himself
Oct 25, 2022 3:02 AM CDT
Fighting Off Grizzly Bear, Hunter Shoots Himself
But man survived the Wyoming attack
- A Wyoming hunter managed to scare off an attacking grizzly bear Friday night in an area south of Grand Teton National Park—but in the process, he shot himself in the leg. Lee Francis, 65, was hunting with his 40-year-old son in Rock Creek, along the Sawtooth mountains, when the...
The Bear Attacked, So She
'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Oct 24, 2022 12:47 PM CDT
The Bear Attacked, So She 'Popped It Right in the Nose'
Woman survives ambush by black bear in Washington state while walking dog
- A woman in Washington state is lucky to be alive after a routine morning task ended up with her fighting an unexpected visitor. Per the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, the resident in the mountainous town of Leavenworth brought her dog outside for a walk around 7am Saturday, when...
College Wrestler Tries to
Pull Grizzly Off Teammate,
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 22, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
College Wrestler Tries to Pull Grizzly Off Teammate, Gets Attacked
Both are expected to survive
- Two college wrestlers from Wyoming were attacked by a grizzly bear during a hike outside Cody on Saturday. Four members of the Northwest College wrestling team went hiking and horn hunting (hunting for shed antlers, per KSL ) after practice, and were coming down a mountain in the late afternoon...
Connecticut Boy, 10,
Mauled by Bear in Backyard
Oct 17, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Connecticut Boy, 10, Mauled by Bear in Backyard
Grandfather rolled wheelchair over, threw metal bar at animal
- A 10-year-old boy in Connecticut is recovering from injuries sustained in a terrifying bear attack Sunday morning. The boy was playing in his grandparents' backyard in Morris, about 45 miles southwest of Hartford, when the black bear attacked him and tried to drag him away, CBS reports. Grandfather James Butler,...
Colorado Town Suffers
2nd Bear Attack in 2 Months
Oct 4, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
Colorado Town Suffers 2nd Bear Attack in 2 Months
New Castle man is expected to recover after animal went after him in his yard
- A Colorado man is recuperating after a bear attacked him at his home over the weekend—the second such attack in his town since late August. Per a release from Colorado Parks & Wildlife cited by KKTV , the New Castle resident heard noises coming from his backyard around 10:30pm...
Bear Mauls Woman
in Her Backyard
Sep 2, 2022 11:12 AM CDT
Bear Mauls Woman in Her Backyard
Colorado resident suffered severely lacerated arm; sow and cub were killed
- A Colorado woman who noticed the lid on her hot tub had been partially removed went out to fix it around 2am Wednesday, only to be attacked by a bear. The bear charged at the woman, then took a swipe with a clawed paw, "severely lacerating" her arm, according...
in the Arctic
Aug 8, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Camper in the Arctic Injured by Polar Bear
French tourist survives, but bear in Norway is killed
- A polar bear attacked a campsite Monday in Norway's remote Arctic Svalbard Islands, injuring a French tourist, per the AP . Her wounds weren't life-threatening, and the bear was later killed. The woman, who wasn't identified, was part of a tour group of 25 people camping at Sveasletta,...
Report Makes Disturbing
Find on Grizzly Attack
Jul 19, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
Report Makes Disturbing Find on Grizzly Attack
Leah Lokan died instantly of broken neck, severed spine in rare predatory attack
- A woman fatally mauled in Montana last summer was the victim of a rare predatory attack by a grizzly bear that had learned to seek out human food, according to a new report. Leah Davis Lokan of Chico, Calif., was participating in a long-distance bike trip when she stopped to...
Man Hiking at High Elevation
in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
Jun 29, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Man Hiking at High Elevation in Wyoming Is Mauled by Bear
It was thought to be a grizzly
- A hiker appears to have survived being mauled by a grizzly bear in northwestern Wyoming. The "experienced out-of-state recreationalist" was hiking high up on the 13,000-foot Francs Peak Monday when he met a bear, thought to be a grizzly. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department on Tuesday characterized...
'Food Conditioned' Bear
Rips Into Family's Tent
Jun 14, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
'Food Conditioned' Bear Rips Into Family's Tent
Great Smoky Mountains National Park says bear that injured 2 campers was euthanized
- A bear that had apparently become far too accustomed to eating human food had to be euthanized after it burst into a tent full of campers early Sunday morning, officials at Great Smoky Mountains National Park say. A woman and her three-year-old daughter were scratched on the head and suffered...
Sloth Bear Kills Couple
Jun 9, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Sloth Bear Kills Couple
Witnesses said bear was seen eating remains of couple in India
- Sloth bears aren't aggressive unless they feel threatened and they live mainly on insects and fruit, which makes the death of a couple in central India all the more puzzling, authorities say. Officials in Madhya Pradesh say the man and woman were killed and eaten by a sloth bear...
Bear Attacks Couple
Inside Their Home
May 23, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Bear Attacks Couple Inside Their Home
Rare attack in Wisconsin ends with the black bear fatally shot
- When a Wisconsin couple spotted a black bear at their bird feeder, they followed protocol : From a (presumably) secure place—inside their own home—they began yelling to scare the bear away, reports CNN . The adult female bear, however, responded in unusually aggressive fashion by charging the couple, breaking through...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.