Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
3 Bodies Found Buried
on Peak Near Everest
Nov 9, 2021 1:07 PM CST
3 Bodies Found Buried on Peak Near Everest
They belong to French climbers missing on Kangtega since Oct. 26
- Three French climbers appear to have died in an avalanche on a peak near Mount Everest last month. The bodies of Thomas Arfi, Gabriel Miloche, and Louis Pachoud were recovered from Kangtega mountain in Nepal's remote Solukhumbu district on Monday, a day after they were discovered under more than...
First Disabled Man to Scale 14
Tallest Peaks Lost on Descent
Jul 20, 2021 12:16 PM CDT
First Disabled Man to Scale 14 Tallest Peaks Lost on Descent
Kim Hong-bin believed to have fallen into crevasse on Broad Peak in China
- In reaching the summit of Broad Peak on the border of Pakistan and China on Sunday, 57-year-old Kim Hong-bin became the first disabled person—and 44th person overall—to climb the world's 14 tallest mountains , reports the
. "As I could do it as a disabled person,...
Yosemite Climber Survived a
Huge Fall, With Consequences
Jun 30, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Yosemite Climber Survived a Huge Fall, With Consequences
Josh Ourada dug in his heels so hard one 'disintegrated in parts'
- Climber Josh Ourada fell almost 200 feet in Yosemite without dying. But that's not to say there weren't serious consequences. The 31-year-old talks to Outside Online about the April 10, 2021, fall—what preceded it, what he was thinking of as he plummeted, and what he's dealing...
On Mount Everest,
a World Record Twofer
May 29, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
On Mount Everest, a World Record Twofer
75-year-old becomes oldest American to climb peak; HK climber nabs fastest ascent by woman
- Two new climbers made the Mount Everest record books over the past week, including a man who now holds the title of oldest American ever to ascend the 29,032-foot peak. Per Reuters and the
, 75-year-old Arthur Muir is that man, completing his ascent on Sunday and taking...
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest
Record. Now, Yet Again
May 8, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest Record. Now, Yet Again
Kami Rita Sherpa has climbed world's tallest mountain 25 times
- For the past 27 years, Kami Rita Sherpa has been ascending and descending Mount Everest, part of expedition teams bent on conquering the mountain. In 2019, the Nepalese man set a world record for the most summits of the world's tallest mountain, making it to the top and back...
With 3 Climbers Missing,
the Rest Are Forced Down K2
Feb 10, 2021 9:39 AM CST
With 3 Climbers Missing, the Rest Are Forced Down K2
Pakistan suspends winter ascents, effective immediately
- Climbers managed to reach the top of the world's second-highest mountain in winter for the first time in January , but no more will be able to attempt it. Pakistani authorities on Wednesday suspended all winter ascents of K2, effective immediately, after three climbers went missing while attempting to scale...
'Oh, Jesus—What Are
They Doing' on Everest?
Dec 4, 2019 11:20 AM CST
'Oh, Jesus—What Are They Doing' on Everest?
Inside the perilous ascents and descents over 2 days in May
- "Oh, Jesus—what are they doing here?" It's a thought that repeated itself in Reinhard Grubhofer's mind as he summited Everest on May 23 and kept encountering climbers not physically and mentally up for the challenge. He was part of the horde who attempted to make it...
Father on Climbing Trip
With Son Falls to His Death
Nov 4, 2019 10:55 AM CST
Father on Climbing Trip With Son Falls to His Death
Texas man was attempting to descend Washington state's Aasgard Pass
- A father-son climbing trip in the Cascade Mountains turned tragic last week when Robert Jake Colburn apparently slipped and fell several hundred feet to his death. The 60-year-old from Dallas was descending Washington state's Aasgard Pass Thursday with three other people when he got ahead of the group, NBC...
They Watched Him Fall
on Video. Now, a Body
Oct 30, 2019 8:52 AM CDT
They Watched Him Fall on Video. Now, a Body
Live-streamer went missing atop Mount Fuji on Monday
- "Am I on the right track? So much of the route is covered with snow," says a man who was live-streaming his attempt at summiting Mount Fuji—a man whose body Japanese police on Wednesday said they may have found. The AP reports officials were notified after those...
The Ultimate Climbing Record
Has Just Been Smashed
Oct 29, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
The Ultimate Climbing Record Has Just Been Smashed
Nirmal Purja summited the planet's 14 tallest peaks in 189 days
- Nirmal Purja on Tuesday described the last six months as "grueling." That's likely an understatement. The 36-year-old Nepalese man has obliterated the world record for summiting the 14 peaks on the planet that measure at least 8,000 meters, or roughly 26,350 feet. The record had...
Mayor Outraged After
Sep 4, 2019 4:37 AM CDT
Mayor Outraged After Climber Leaves Rowing Machine on Mountain
'Bring on Brexit,' French mayor says
- A British ex-soldier has outraged a French mayor by leaving a rowing machine near the summit of western Europe's highest mountain during an unusual fundraising drive. Matthew Disney, a former Royal Marine, has been climbing mountains carrying the machine on his back, then rowing the height of the summit....
Crews Recover Bodies
of 7 Missing Climbers
Jun 24, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
Crews Recover Bodies of 7 Missing Climbers
Search continues for the 8th
- A search team has recovered the bodies of seven of the eight climbers missing in the Indian Himalayas for a month. The bodies have not been identified, said a government official in northern India, who said returning them to the base camp will take two or three days, per ABC...
Plan to Get to Bodies
by Helicopter Doesn't Work
Jun 5, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
Plan to Get to Bodies by Helicopter Doesn't Work
Rescue team may need to climb to get to the 8 who vanished on Nanda Devi East
- Indian officials have abandoned their initial plan to retrieve bodies believed to be members of a team of international climbers that went missing on a notoriously dangerous Himalayan mountain. All eight of the climbers who disappeared May 26 on Nanda Devi East are presumed dead, and the five bodies photographed...
Missing Climbers May Not
Have Had Permission
Jun 3, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Missing Climbers May Not Have Had Permission
8, including 2 Americans, are presumed dead on unnamed peak in India
- The news about eight missing climbers in the Indian Himalayas took a grim turn Monday when Indian pilots spotted five bodies amid evidence of an avalanche. High winds and snow kept rescuers from getting to the spot to search for the other three, but one official said the odds of...
4 More Climbers Die
on Clogged Everest
May 24, 2019 6:45 AM CDT
4 More Climbers Die on Clogged Everest
One man who died was reportedly stuck in the traffic for more than 12 hours
- The "death zone" near the summit of Mount Everest is living up to its name. At least seven climbers have died on the mountain this week, most of them after spending time caught in a lethal single-file traffic jam of climbers on the way to and back from the...
Hi, I Just Climbed
in One Week!
May 21, 2019 7:47 AM CDT
Hi, I Just Climbed Everest Twice in One Week!
Kami Rita Sherpa, 49, breaks own world record, ascends mountain for 24th time
- Dear everyone who's ever climbed Mount Everest: Big deal. That may be exactly what Kami Rita Sherpa is thinking after extending his latest record on the mega-mountain, reaching the peak for the 24th time on Tuesday, per the BBC . Not only that, but the 49-year-old had just ascended Everest...
Recovery Team Confirms
Fate of Famed Climbing Trio
Apr 22, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Recovery Team Confirms Fate of Famed Climbing Trio
Bodies of 3 renowned mountain climbers found in Banff National Park in Canada
- Even the most skilled mountain climbers in the world are no match for a major avalanche. A recovery team in Canada's Banff National Park has recovered the bodies of renowned mountaineers Jess Roskelley, 36, Hansjorg Auer, 35, and David Lama, 28, reports the
. Roskelley is American and...
Bodies of Missing Climbers
Found on 'Killer Mountain'
Mar 10, 2019 9:39 AM CDT
Bodies of Missing Climbers Found on 'Killer Mountain'
Searchers confirm silhouettes spotted on Nanga Parbat are bodies of Tom Ballard, Daniele Nardi
- Two weeks after they went missing on the world's ninth-tallest mountain , the bodies of British climber Tom Ballard and Italian Daniele Nardi have been found on Nanga Parbat, Pakistan's so-called "Killer Mountain," reports the
Wrote Italy's ambassador to Pakistan: "With great sadness I...
In 5 Days, No Word
From Climbers on
Mar 1, 2019 7:15 AM CST
In 5 Days, No Word From Climbers on 'Killer Mountain'
Tom Ballard, Daniele Nardi last known to be between Camps 3 and 4
- A snow-covered tent has been the only possible sign of two climbers missing on the world's ninth-highest mountain since Sunday. A flash of reddish-orange fabric amid a sea of white was spotted Thursday during a helicopter search of Pakistan's 26,660-foot Nanga Parbat, which also turned up evidence...
She Wanted to
Forest More.' So
She Made History
Jan 17, 2019 10:35 AM CST
She Wanted to 'Understand the Forest More.' So She Made History
Dhanya Sanal named as first woman to scale sacred Agasthyakoodam mountain
- Even as Dhanya Sanal fulfilled her dream of ascending a 6,128-foot-high sacred mountain in India, she was "ready to turn back" at any time. In fact, the 38-year-old thought protesters might force her to do so. Until Kerala's high court put an end to the tradition in...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.