Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Is Missing From Grave
Jun 20, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Juneteenth Pioneer Is Missing From Grave
Family sues after Sidney Cooper's grave at San Diego cemetery is found empty
- The family of the man who started Juneteenth celebrations in San Diego says they've been visiting an empty grave for 22 years. Sidney Cooper's body and casket are missing from his plot at Greenwood Memorial Park and Mortuary, something his family learned in March when the cemetery opened...
Juneteenth Is in Full Swing.
Do You Know What It Means?
Jun 19, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Juneteenth Is in Full Swing. Do You Know What It Means?
An AP primer on the federal holiday's roots, meaning, and evolution
- Many Americans are celebrating Juneteenth, marking the day in 1865 when the last enslaved people in the United States learned they were free. For generations, Black Americans have recognized the end of one of the darkest chapters in US history with joy, in the form of parades, street festivals, musical...
20 Shot at Juneteenth Event
as Panicked Crowd Scatters
Jun 18, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
20 Shot at Juneteenth Event as Panicked Crowd Scatters
One victim dies in gunfire at Illinois strip mall
- Gunfire broke out at a large gathering marking Juneteenth in suburban Chicago, leaving at least 20 people wounded in a strip mall parking lot. One of them died, ABC News reports, and at least two others were hospitalized in critical condition. The DuPage County Sheriff's Office said the violence...
for Juneteenth, With
a Racist Message
Jun 23, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Business Closes for Juneteenth, With a Racist Message
Maine insurance agency is taking heat for sign referencing a well-worn stereotype
- Many US businesses shuttered on Monday to mark the federal holiday Juneteenth, but one company in Maine is now taking heat for the way it chose to announce its closing. CNBC notes the import of the holiday, which commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union Army soldiers showed up in Texas...
Juneteenth Events Stress
Music, Learning, Healing
Jun 19, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Juneteenth Events Stress Music, Learning, Healing
Education is needed so people 'never let it happen again,' says activist Opal Lee, 95
- After Opal Lee led hundreds in a walk through her Texas hometown to celebrate Juneteenth, the 95-year-old Black woman who helped successfully push for the holiday to receive national recognition said it's important that people learn the history behind it. "We need to know so people can heal...
Most States Have Not Made
Juneteenth a Paid Holiday
Jun 19, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Most States Have Not Made Juneteenth a Paid Holiday
Commemoration of a delayed event has moved slowly, advocates say
- It took more than 100 years for Juneteenth to become a federal holiday. President Biden took care of that a year ago , but there should be more to that recognition, advocates say. Just 18 states have provided funding for the day to be observed as a paid holiday, the
Dish on Museum's
Jun 6, 2022 6:55 AM CDT
Dish on Museum's Juneteenth Menu Sparks Backlash
Locals say menu item at Children's Museum of Indianapolis perpetuates racist trope
- A kids museum in Indiana is at the center of controversy after a menu item for Juneteenth didn't go over so well. The
reports that included among the food options at the Children's Museum of Indianapolis was a prepackaged watermelon salad ( TMZ has a pic),...
Walmart's New Ice Cream
Isn't Going Over as Planned
May 24, 2022 7:57 AM CDT
Walmart's New Ice Cream Isn't Going Over as Planned
Juneteenth-themed treat has spurred a backlash
- Last year's celebration of Juneteenth , its debut as a federal holiday, was marked by parades , concerts, artwork, and more solemn commemorations of the ending of slavery in America. Walmart's contribution ahead of June 19 this year isn't going over quite as well. In fact, TMZ deems the...
Ikea Employees Outraged
by Juneteenth Menu
Jun 23, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Ikea Employees Outraged by Juneteenth Menu
Fried chicken, watermelon among items selected to honor Black Americans
- An Ikea store in Atlanta is apologizing after offering a lunch menu of fried chicken, watermelon, macaroni and cheese, and collard greens to honor "the perseverance of Black Americans." Employees spoke out, claiming the menu was created without input from Black employees was sent to workers, and that...
Nationwide Events Mark
Jun 19, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
Nationwide Events Mark Juneteenth
Commemorations include joyful parades, solemn artwork
- There were solemn moments during Juneteenth observances Saturday, as crowds across the country marked the holiday for first year it's had federal recognition . Terrence Floyd unveiled a statue of his brother George in Brooklyn,
reports, telling the crowd, "My brother was the sacrifice, so I need...
Federal Employees Getting
a Long Weekend, Quickly
Jun 17, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Federal Employees Getting a Long Weekend, Quickly
Designation of Juneteenth means most federal workers are off this Friday
- The designation of Juneteenth as a federal holiday commemorates a monumental moment in US history, but it also translates into something tangible almost immediately for federal employees—a day off on Friday. Because June 19 falls on a Saturday this year, most federal workers will get Friday off instead, reports...
US Has a New Federal Holiday
Jun 17, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
US Has a New Federal Holiday
Bill to make Juneteenth a holiday passes House; 14 Republicans voted against it
- The United States will soon have a new federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery. The House voted 415-14 on Wednesday to make Juneteenth, or June 19th, the 12th federal holiday, the AP reports. The bill now goes to President Biden’s desk, and he is expected to sign it...
Senate Passes Bill to
Create 12th Federal Holiday
Jun 15, 2021 6:58 PM CDT
Senate Passes Bill to Create 12th Federal Holiday
Juneteenth bill passed under unanimous consent agreement
- The Senate passed a bill Tuesday that would make Juneteenth, or June 19th, a federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States. The bill would lead to Juneteenth becoming the 12th federal holiday. It is expected to easily pass the House, which would send it to President...
GOP Debates Scrapping Holiday
to Make Room for Juneteenth
Jul 1, 2020 4:11 PM CDT
GOP Debates Scrapping Holiday to Make Room for Juneteenth
Columbus Day is the most likely candidate
- Republican senators are open to the idea of making Juneteenth a federal holiday—but some of them want to scrap another holiday to make space for it. An internal GOP debate over eliminating Columbus Day, or potentially another holiday, has held up a bipartisan Juneteenth bill, the
Ahead of Rally
Jun 19, 2020 12:19 PM CDT
Trump Warns 'Agitators' Ahead of Rally
Tulsa imposes a curfew ahead of Saturday event
- A curfew is now in place around the Tulsa arena where President Trump plans to hold a Saturday rally. It took effect Thursday night and is intended to keep protesters from gathering around the BOK Center downtown through 6am Sunday, reports the
. The rally begins at 7pm Saturday,...
The Original Juneteenth
Jun 19, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
The Original Juneteenth Order Resurfaces
National Archives locates the 1865 document
- Today is Juneteenth, and this year marks 155 years to the day since 2,000 Union soldiers arrived in Galveston, Texas, bringing news that slavery had been abolished some two years earlier. There hadn't been enough Union troops in Texas to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation before that point, according...
Trump: Nobody Heard
of Juneteenth Before Me
Jun 18, 2020 2:35 PM CDT
Trump: Nobody Heard of Juneteenth Before Me
Says he made holiday 'very famous'
- President Trump sat down for a wide-ranging interview with the
Wall Street Journal
, covering everything from systemic racism and Juneteenth to John Bolton and the coronavirus. Some highlights:
“I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous,” Trump said, a reference to his decision to postpone a
'Out of Respect,'
Trump Moves Date
of Campaign Rally
Jun 13, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
'Out of Respect,' Trump Moves Date of Campaign Rally
President changes Tulsa event to next Saturday after pushback on original Juneteenth date
- President Trump said earlier this week that his next campaign rally, set to be held Friday in Oklahoma, would be "a celebration," but that event has now been moved so it won't conflict with another commemoration. The rally had generated controversy because it was set to occur...
Trump Defends Choice
of Date for Rally
Jun 12, 2020 12:36 PM CDT
Trump Defends Choice of Date for Rally
Juneteenth event will be a 'celebration,' he says
- President Trump resumes his political rallies next week, with Tulsa the first city on the list. The selection continues to generate controversy because the rally takes place on June 19, and Juneteenth is the annual celebration of the end of slavery. Given the current tensions on race over the George...
Trump Campaign to
Fans: You Can't Sue Us
Jun 11, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
Trump Campaign to Fans: You Can't Sue Us
Trump's Campaign makes it clear on rally registration page
- Want to attend a Trump campaign rally? OK, but don't sue them if you get sick. Trump's campaign spelled it out on a Web page that allows people to register for his June 19 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. "By clicking register below, you are acknowledging that an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.