Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Buffalo Gunman Admits
Nov 28, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Buffalo Gunman Admits Supermarket Massacre
He pleads guilty for life in prison, faces possible death sentence on federal charges
- The white gunman who massacred 10 Black shoppers and workers at a Buffalo supermarket pleaded guilty Monday to murder and hate-motivated terrorism charges, guaranteeing that he'll spend the rest of his life in prison, per the AP . Payton Gendron, 19, entered the plea Monday in a courthouse roughly 2...
Buffalo Area Buried,
and the Snow Keeps Falling
Nov 19, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Buffalo Area Buried, and the Snow Keeps Falling
Some areas of Western New York already have 5-feet-plus, and it's not supposed to stop till Sunday
- Buffalo is accustomed to snow. This weekend, however, the city and surrounding parts of Western New York are getting a storm for the books, with some areas already buried under several feet of the white stuff, and precipitation expected to continue through Sunday morning. In Orchard Park, about 20 minutes...
Forecast for Buffalo Area
Nov 17, 2022 5:39 AM CST
'Paralyzing' Snowstorm Forecast for Buffalo Area
'Prolonged lake-effect snow event' could dump up to 4 feet of snow on region
- Residents of the Buffalo area have been told to brace for a potentially "historic" early-season snowstorm that could dump up to 4 feet of snow on the region by Saturday morning. The National Weather Service says a "prolonged lake-effect snow event" is developing in western New York state,...
Crash That Killed
4 Teens May Be Linked
to TikTok Challenge
Oct 25, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Crash That Killed 4 Teens May Be Linked to TikTok Challenge
Buffalo teens were in stolen Kia
- A car crash that left four teenagers dead may have been linked to a TikTok challenge, a police commissioner in Buffalo says. A total of six teenagers were in a speeding Kia that crashed about 6:30am Monday, Buffalo police said. The car had been reported stolen Sunday night. All...
Man Threatens to Kill
'All the Black People' at
Site of Buffalo Massacre
Jul 23, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Man Threatens to Kill 'All the Black People' at Site of Buffalo Massacre
Washington state man arrested by FBI
- The Tops supermarket where 10 Black people were killed in a mass shooting in May received phone calls with similar threats on Tuesday and Wednesday. Joey David George, a Seattle-area man with an alleged history of making racist threats, asked how many Black people were in the store and "...
Jun 2, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Biden Calls for Banning Assault Weapons
President pleads for Congress to act after mass shootings
- Asking Americans "how much more carnage" they're willing to accept, President Biden implored Congress in a nationally televised address Thursday night to take steps in response to the nation's spate of mass shootings. The president said he wants assault weapons and high-capacity magazines banned, the
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
May 19, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Suspected Buffalo shooter makes court appearance, is jeered by relative of a victim
- The legal case against the accused gunman in Buffalo's mass shooting advanced on Thursday, but not before Payton Gendron got a message from a relative of one of the victims. "Payton, you're a coward!" shouted the family member as the 18-year-old was being led from a...
In Buffalo, Biden Repeatedly
Blasts White Supremacy
May 17, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
In Buffalo, Biden Repeatedly Blasts White Supremacy
He spoke to victims' families, local officials, and first responders
- President Biden on Tuesday spoke in Buffalo, offering lengthy comments in the wake of an attack at a Tops supermarket that killed 10 Black people. The
reports Biden repeated a story he has told before, about how the white pride march in Charlottesville in 2017 was one of...
May 16, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ousted GOP bigwig says they have 'enabled white nationalism' with rhetoric
- Liz Cheney unleashed a scorching tweet against House GOP leaders on Monday—a group she had been among before her split with Donald Trump. The tweet comes in the wake of the mass shooting in Buffalo , which authorities have called a targeted assault by a white gunman on Black victims....
Buffalo Shooting Puts
'Great Replacement' in Spotlight
May 16, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Puts 'Great Replacement' in Spotlight
There's really 2 versions of it floating around, one more extreme than the other
- The phrase "great replacement" has been in wide circulation in the media since Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo because authorities say the suspected gunman embraced it in a 180-page racist screed posted online before the attack. Lots of outlets are providing primers:
One hard-core version has been
Official: Suspect Had Plans
'to Shoot More Black People'
May 16, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Official: Suspect Had Plans 'to Shoot More Black People'
Possibly at 'another large superstore' in Buffalo, per the city's police commissioner
- As more details trickle out on the victims of Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo, NY, more on the alleged gunman is also emerging, including a chilling glimpse at what he'd possibly planned to do if he hadn't been stopped. Joseph Gramaglia, the city's police commissioner, told...
What We Know About the
Buffalo Shooting Victims
May 16, 2022 1:01 AM CDT
What We Know About the Buffalo Shooting Victims
The 10 killed and 3 injured have been identified
- Aaron Salter was a beloved community member and security guard who knew the shoppers of Tops Friendly Market by name. When they came under attack from a gunman with a rifle, he sprang into action. The retired Buffalo police officer fired multiple times at the attacker, striking his armor-plated vest...
Police Took Shooting Suspect
for Evaluation Last Year
May 15, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Police Took Shooting Suspect for Evaluation Last Year
Police say he made a threat about carrying out a shooting at his high school
- Police became aware of the suspect now being held in the mass shooting Saturday at a Buffalo supermarket last year, after they said he threatened an attack at his high school. State troopers were called to Susquehanna Valley High School in Conklin, New York, last June, the AP reports. They...
Biden Says Nation
Must 'Address the Hate'
May 15, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Biden Says Nation Must 'Address the Hate'
President addresses Buffalo shooting at ceremony for fallen officers
- President Biden on Sunday condemned the mass shooting in Buffalo, calling the killer a "hate-filled soul" while acknowledging the wearying effect of such crimes on the nation. "We must all work together to address the hate that remains a stain on the soul of America," the president...
Security Guard Killed
in Shooting Is Hailed as Hero
May 15, 2022 9:33 AM CDT
Security Guard Killed in Shooting Is Hailed as Hero
Police say retired cop Aaron Salter exchanged gunfire with shooter in Buffalo supermarket
- One of the 10 people killed in Saturday's mass shooting at a Buffalo supermarket was a retired police officer who worked there as a security guard. He's a "hero in our eyes," says Buffalo police chief Joseph Gramaglia, per WKBW . The station identifies him as Aaron...
What We Know
About the Buffalo
May 15, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
What We Know About the Buffalo Mass Shooting
Police say an 18-year-old white man killed 10 people, most of them Black, at a supermarket
- The details are filling in quickly after Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo that claimed 10 lives at a supermarket. And one of those details already has become clear: “It was straight up, a racially motivated hate crime," says Erie County Sheriff John Garcia. The white gunman shot...
Gunman in Body Armor
Kills 10 in Supermarket
May 14, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Gunman in Body Armor Kills 10 in Supermarket
FBI investigates attack as a hate crime
- A gunman wearing body armor and a military helmet opened fire with a high-powered rifle at a packed Buffalo supermarket on Saturday, killing 10 people and wounding three others. Police took a man into custody, the
reports. He was not identified. "It's like walking onto a...
'Unruly' Passenger Wanted
to Get Off the Plane Badly
Apr 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
'Unruly' Passenger Wanted to Get Off the Plane Badly
Cynthia McKnight facing charges after allegedly opening door, inflating slide at Buffalo airport
- An unruly passenger escaped an American Airlines flight preparing to takeoff from Buffalo Niagara International Airport on Tuesday in a most dramatic fashion: down the emergency exit slide, according to reports. Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Spencer Brown, a passenger on the flight, tweeted about the woman's outburst, which resulted...
Crews Try to Save
Apr 14, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Crews Try to Save The Sullivans
World War II destroyer, named for 5 brothers, is taking on water
- A decommissioned World War II-era destroyer docked near downtown Buffalo was taking on water and listing perilously on Thursday. Crews were working to keep the USS The Sullivans from sinking at its berth at the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park, where it had been open for tours....
Martin Gugino Did
Apr 11, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Arbitrator: Cops Who Shoved Martin Gugino Did Nothing Wrong
Buffalo BLM protester suffered head injury after being pushed to ground by police in June 2020
- Two police officers in Buffalo, NY, have been cleared by an arbitrator of wrongdoing after they shoved an elderly BLM protester to the ground in June 2020. Martin Gugino, then 75, suffered a fractured skull and brain injury after hitting his head when he fell. In a Friday decision, Jeffrey...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
Gravel Racing Was on the Rise. Then, a Murder
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.