Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Draft Pick Retires:
of My Life'
Dec 16, 2022 1:02 PM CST
Young NBA Draft Pick Retires: 'Darkest Times of My Life'
Tyrell Terry, 22, 2020 draft pick for Mavericks, says severe anxiety made him lose his love of the game
- In 2020, Tyrell Terry was drafted by the NBA's Dallas Mavericks with the 31st overall pick, after playing one year for the Stanford Cardinal team as a guard. Now, following just two years in the pros, the young basketball player is retiring, saying he's lost his love of...
'Elnaz the Champion' Arrives in
Tehran, Her Story Unchanged
Oct 19, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
'Elnaz the Champion' Arrives in Tehran, Her Story Unchanged
Iranian climber still insists her lack of hijab during competition in S. Korea was 'unintentional'
Elnaz Rekabi is officially back in Iran, after a recent climbing competition in South Korea in which she didn't wear her hijab. The AP reports that the 33-year-old athlete gave a "careful, emotionless" interview to state media at the Tehran airport after landing early Wednesday, once more...
Most Decorated US Runner
Is Making This Her Last Season
Apr 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Most Decorated US Runner Is Making This Her Last Season
It 'isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy,' Allyson Felix says
- Allyson Felix, who closed the Tokyo Games last year with more Olympic medals than any US track and field athlete in history, says she'll retire after the 2022 season. "This season isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy," Felix said in...
Critics Blast Megyn Kelly's
'Grotesque' Tweets on Osaka
Jul 22, 2021 8:17 AM CDT
Critics Blast Megyn Kelly's 'Grotesque' Tweets on Osaka
'It's not a public service to harass a woman over her depression,' says critic
- Naomi Osaka has been focusing on her mental health ahead of her return to tennis at the Tokyo Olympics, but fans still got to see her on the covers of
, and the
swimsuit edition this month. That brought even more scrutiny on the four-time Grand...
Tragic End to Search
for Distance Runner
Jul 21, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Tragic End to Search for Distance Runner
Fred Zalokar found dead in Yosemite National Park
- After decades as an endurance athlete, Fred Zalokar's final journey was in Yosemite National Park. The 61-year-old, who was well known in the world of endurance sports, was found dead Tuesday, two days after he was reported missing, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle.
The Reno resident had planned an...
Jul 21, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Why Some Olympic Athletes Are Sporting Tourniquets
Blood flow restriction is an in-vogue training technique, according to the 'NYT'
- Not a sentence you'd expect to read in relation to the Olympics: "This year, the hot thing appears to be tourniquets." But that's exactly what the
New York Times
proclaims in looking at the trendy training/recovery method some of this Games' athletes have adopted. The idea...
19, Killed by Puck
Mar 17, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Hockey Player, 19, Killed by Puck
Timur Faizutdinov was struck in the head, collapsed during Friday game
- A 19-year-old Russian hockey player has died after being hit in the head by a puck, his team announced Tuesday. Defenseman Timur Faizutdinov of the Dynamo St. Petersburg's junior hockey team was struck in the head by a puck hit from center ice during a Friday playoff game against...
Rocking a Virtual
Race. In Came Her
in case you missed it
Apr 11, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Triathlete Was Rocking a Virtual Race. In Came Her 'Idiot' Husband
Tim O'Donnell trips over power cord, unplugs Mirinda Carfrae's bike during Ironman competition
- The very first Ironman VR Pro Challenge took place over the weekend—a weekly competition being held during the coronavirus pandemic, per the
South China Morning Post
—and former Ironman champ Mirinda Carfrae of Australia was kicking butt from her living room in Boulder, Colo. The
Another Elite NFL
Player Retires Young
Jan 15, 2020 11:55 AM CST
Another Elite NFL Player Retires Young
Luke Kuechly, 28, has a history of concussions
- "Even if you sort of saw it coming," Tuesday's announcement that seven-time Pro Bowl linebacker Luke Kuechly was retiring from the NFL at age 28 "was shocking," writes Max Henson at CarolinaPanthers.com . "And heartbreaking." Kuechly, who played for the Panthers, announced his...
Senator: I 'Briefly Collapsed'
After Latest Physical Feat
Mar 4, 2019 7:59 AM CST
Senator: I 'Briefly Collapsed' After Latest Physical Feat
Kyrsten Sinema bested her own time in New Zealand triathlon with a 12:59:57 finish
- From a rough childhood—including a stint when she was homeless —to a seat in the US Senate, Kyrsten Sinema has long exhibited nerves of steel. The 42-year-old's latest feat is completing the New Zealand Ironman, and in so doing she beat her personal best time in the...
Olympic Gold Medalist
Reveals Cancer Diagnosis
Jan 25, 2019 9:34 AM CST
Olympic Gold Medalist Reveals Cancer Diagnosis
Swimmer Nathan Adrian hopes to 'break the stigma of discussing men's health issues'
- Five-time US Olympic gold medalist Nathan Adrian is aiming for a sixth finish atop the podium in Tokyo in 2020—cancer or no cancer. "Life … can come at you hard," the 30-year-old swimmer wrote in an Instagram post in which he revealed a testicular cancer diagnosis. "...
Jul 21, 2017 12:23 PM CDT
Reveal About Usain Bolt's Stride Upends Sprinting Science
Jamaican runner has an uneven stride, perhaps due to scoliosis
- You'd think a smooth, even gait would ensure the fastest running speeds for elite athletes—but researchers who studied the world's fastest man have found that, at least in his case, symmetry doesn't matter. Per the
New York Times
, scientists from Southern Methodist University in Dallas released...
70-Year-Old Rower Sets Off on Record-Breaking Quest
May 16, 2016 9:23 AM CDT
70-Year-Old Rower Sets Off on Record-Breaking Quest
Norwegian Stein Hoff thinks you waste too much time watching 'Game of Thrones'
- Norwegian doctor Stein Hoff is no stranger to challenges. The avid rower crossed the Atlantic with a partner in 1997, and in 2002 he rowed solo and unsupported from Lisbon, Portugal, to the coast of the South American country of Guyana. But now the 70-year-old who says people "spend...
Mar 22, 2016 4:00 PM CDT
Pro Runner Inspires With Post-Pregnancy Instagram
'I can run 5:20 pace for a half marathon, but I still pee my pants'
- Six months ago, professional runner Stephanie Rothstein Bruce gave birth to a baby boy—her second in 15 months,
reports. Now she's rocking her stretch marks proudly as she trains with the goal of representing Team USA at the Olympics while simultaneously inspiring thousands of women on Instagram....
All in Her Head
Sep 9, 2015 10:49 AM CDT
Paralympics Bars Paralyzed Athlete, Says Problem All in Her Head
Doctors can't find a physical reason for woman's paralysis
- A British athlete who has had no feeling from the chest down for four years has been barred from competing in the Paralympics—because doctors say she should not be paralyzed. The strange case involves 23-year-old Charlotte Wilkinson-Burnett, who has been in a wheelchair since slipping in the shower in...
'Hurts Every Time
I Put My Shoes On'
Sep 9, 2014 11:41 AM CDT
12-Toed Runner: 'Hurts Every Time I Put My Shoes On'
Swapna Barman prepares for Asian Games
- An 18-year-old heptathlete from West Bengal, India, is preparing for her first big international competition—and facing a challenge few competitors must address. Swapna Barman has six toes on each foot, and she hasn't been able to find a pair of shoes that works, Reuters reports. "Even after...
Apr 18, 2013 8:49 AM CDT
Performers Live Shorter Lives Than Other Celebs
They can expect to live to 77: study
- If you crave a long life in the spotlight, become a ... CEO. Researchers perused 1,000
New York Times
obituaries from between 2009 and 2011 in a bid to glean some conclusions about the life expectancy of celebs, the BBC reports. What they found, in terms of average life expectancy:...
Aug 23, 2012 11:40 AM CDT
Why Paralympic Athletes Break Their Own Bones
...to cheat, basically
- Top athletes will go to extremes to get a competitive edge, but a BBC look at Paralympians shows just how painful, and illegal, those extremes can be. It delves into "boosting," a practice in which these athletes, who have a physical disability, increase performance by upping their blood...
Aug 21, 2012 3:32 AM CDT
Somali Olympian Drowns Trying to Emigrate to Italy
Mogadishu Islamists threatened her life
- A Somali Olympic female runner drowned as she tried to emigrate to Italy on a boat from Libya, Italian media revealed yesterday. The boat sank as Samia Yusuf Omar, 21, made her desperate bid to escape her African home in April, reports the BBC . Samia faced death threats from the...
Jul 29, 2012 3:13 PM CDT
Vollmer Sets World Record in Butterfly
France upsets Aussies, Americans in 4x100 freestyle relay
- Dana Vollmer won a gold medal at the Olympics and set a world record, too. Not bad for someone who didn't even qualify four years ago. On a night featuring a relay duel between the Australians and the Americans, Vollmer got things started with a bang today in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.