Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Guns Delivered to School
After Address Mix-Up
Aug 25, 2022 4:46 AM CDT
Guns Delivered to School After Address Mix-Up
Workers thought boxes contained textbooks
- A Philadelphia-area high school that was expecting a delivery of textbooks and school supplies received a delivery of guns instead. Police say a FedEx driver dropped off six boxes, each containing an M1 rifle, at the loading dock of Chester High School on Friday, CBS Philadelphia reports. District authorities say...
FBI Report Casts Doubt
on Baldwin's Trigger Claim
Aug 15, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
FBI Report Casts Doubt on Baldwin's Trigger Claim
Actor says he never pulled it in cinematographer's death, but tests suggest that's impossible
- The investigation into exactly what transpired before Alec Baldwin accidentally killed a cinematographer on set is ongoing, but a new FBI report casts doubt on one element of Baldwin's account. The actor told ABC News definitively last year that he never pulled the trigger of what he was told...
Teacher: 'Please Don't
Offer Me a Gun'
Aug 9, 2022 3:22 PM CDT
Teacher: 'Please Don't Offer Me a Gun'
Beth Ann Fennelly calls on lawmakers to act instead of asking teachers to take up arms
- From kindergarten to college, all teachers have their rituals when it comes to preparing for the first day of school. As Beth Ann Fennelly writes in a guest essay for the
New York Times,
those rituals can be considered in three categories: the practical (e.g., arranging desks and supplies);...
Expert: Weapon That Killed Abe
Was 'No Standard Shotgun'
Jul 8, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Expert: Weapon That Killed Abe Was 'No Standard Shotgun'
Police say they found homemade guns in raid of suspect's house
- Japanese police said they found multiple homemade weapons in a raid Friday on the residence of the man held in the assassination of Shinzo Abe, several of which are similar to the one they say was used to kill the former prime minister. The murder weapon is more than a...
'Hard to Think
of a More
Jul 8, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
'Hard to Think of a More Unexpected Place'
Japanese laws mean gun violence is almost non-existent
- There will be no erasing the scars carved into Japan with Friday's assassination of former prime minister Shinzo Abe, say those familiar with Japanese society. The country has been "brought to a standstill by the news," which is especially shocking given that gun crime is almost non-existent...
Hangs Up Gun Deal
Jun 17, 2022 11:03 AM CDT
'Boyfriend Loophole' Hangs Up Gun Deal
Senate negotiators at impasse on defining who should be barred from owning a gun
- A group of senators is trying to hammer out the final details of legislation on gun safety , and one particular issue has emerged as a major snag: It revolves around the definition of the term "boyfriend". Coverage:
Under current federal law, anyone convicted of domestic violence against
Teachers in This
State Can Now
Carry Guns With
24 Hours' Training
Jun 14, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Teachers in This State Can Now Carry Guns With 24 Hours' Training
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine signs bill into law; school districts still need to sign off on staffers with firearms
- Local school boards in Ohio have been able to give the OK for years for teachers and other school employees to carry firearms at work. But a new law signed by Gov. Mike DeWine on Monday just made a significant change on training requirements to do so, knocking down the...
Mom Charged After
2-Year-Old Shoots, Kills Dad
Jun 7, 2022 8:27 AM CDT
Mom Charged After 2-Year-Old Shoots, Kills Dad
Florida couple kept their gun unsecured in a home with 3 children, police say
- A Florida woman is facing a manslaughter charge after her 2-year-old son fatally shot his father in the back. Marie Ayala, 28, of Orlando said she heard a "loud pop" on May 26 before finding 26-year-old father of three Reggie Mabry bleeding on the floor of their home, per...
Baltimore Sues Manufacturer
of Untraceable 'Tools of Death'
Jun 2, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Baltimore Sues Manufacturer of Untraceable 'Tools of Death'
City alleges Polymer80 'profit[s] from destroying our communities'
- The city of Baltimore has joined Los Angeles and Washington, DC, in suing one of the nation's largest manufacturers of untraceable ghost guns , labeling the weapons without serial numbers a "devastating menace" to residents and Americans at large. Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott announced the lawsuit against Polymer80, Inc....
Eye on Ukraine,
Make a Move
Jun 2, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Eye on Ukraine, Taiwanese Make a Move
Citizens who've never handled firearms are increasingly taking lessons in handling airsoft guns
- China has scoffed at comparisons of itself and Taiwan to the Russian invasion of Ukraine . But that hasn't eased the fears of Taiwanese residents, who are now taking a step many never expected: getting firearms training. Although gun ownership is strongly regulated in Taiwan, people who've never picked...
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other
No-Shows at NRA Meeting
May 28, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
'Unlike some, I did not disappoint you,' Trump told crowd gathered in Houston on Friday
- The NRA's Houston convention went on as planned Friday, despite protests due to the deadly mass shooting on Tuesday across the state in Uvalde. And although some big names pulled out of the gun rights advocacy group's annual meeting in the 11th hour, former President Donald Trump wasn'...
'They Saw Something,
May 26, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
Near 2nd Texas School, 'They Saw Something, Said Something'
Day after Uvalde mass shooting, police say they found gun in vehicle of high schooler in Richardson
- A Texas high school student was arrested after police say they found a firearm in his car in a nearby parking lot, just one day after a school shooting six hours away in Uvalde that left 21 dead. Per a Facebook post by the Richardson Police Department, a call came...
Buffalo Shooting Raises
Questions on Red-Flag Law
May 17, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Raises Questions on Red-Flag Law
Suspected gunman was able to buy a weapon despite writing threats at school
- New York has a "red-flag" law that prohibits a person who presents a threat to themselves or others from buying or possessing a gun. So how did the suspect in Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo legally buy a semi-automatic rifle in the state less than a year after...
CDC Report on Gun Homicides
Is a 'Heartbreaking' One
May 11, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
CDC Report on Gun Homicides Is a 'Heartbreaking' One
First year of pandemic saw a 35% rise in firearm murders from the previous year, per new report
- The pandemic has wreaked havoc on a variety of fronts, and gun violence hasn't escaped its path. According to a new report from the CDC, the firearm homicide rate in 2020 reached its highest rate since 1994, increasing nearly 35% from the previous year, reports Axios . "That's...
Canadians Find Drone
From US Carrying 11 Guns
May 4, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
Canadians Find Drone From US Carrying 11 Guns
It got stuck in a tree on the Ontario side of the border
- Police in Canada say American criminals appear to have found a new way of smuggling guns across the border. A drone carrying a bag with 11 handguns was found stuck in a tree on the bank of the St. Clair River, which separates Ontario and Michigan, CTV reports. Homeowners Christine...
Ex-Cop Charged With
Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
May 2, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Ex-Cop Charged With Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
DA says Edsaul Mendoza shot TJ Siderio in the back at near-point blank range
: A former Philadelphia police officer who was fired after the fatal shooting of a 12-year-old in March has been charged with murder. Prosecutors say the shot that killed Thomas "TJ" Siderio was fired from near-point blank range while the boy was unarmed and "essentially face down on...
Boy Who Wrote Letter About
Guns and Murder Is Shot Dead
Jan 26, 2022 2:36 PM CST
Boy Who Wrote Letter About Guns and Murder Is Shot Dead
12-year-old criticized Tennessee's permitless gun law
- In one of his classes at a Memphis middle school, 12-year-old Artemis Rayford wrote a letter to Tennessee's governor about a new state law that allows those 21 and up to carry a gun without training or a permit. "It is my opinion that this new law will...
In This City, a US First
on Gun Ownership
Jan 26, 2022 8:22 AM CST
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
City Council in San Jose, Calif., votes to require gun owners to pay fee, carry liability insurance
- Gun owners in San Jose will soon need to pony up more cash than the cost of the firearm itself. An ordinance has passed in the California city that would require individuals with guns in their possession to pay a $25 annual fee for the privilege, as well as to...
Over Face Masks
Lead to Charges
Jan 22, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Amelia King at Thursday school board meeting in Va.: 'I will bring every single gun loaded'
- A Virginia mom who insists she wasn't trying to threaten anyone with her remarks at a local school board meeting this week has been charged. CBS News reports that on Thursday, the board for Page County Schools convened a special meeting to vote on Gov. Glenn Youngkin's recent...
Bullet Meant for Target
Strikes Mother of Three
Jan 11, 2022 1:23 PM CST
Bullet Meant for Target Strikes Mother of Three
'I thank God that my life was spared,' says Florida's Heather Sitton
- A mother of three in Florida is recovering in the hospital after she was struck by a bullet that flew into her backyard during target practice at a neighboring property. Indiantown resident Heather Sitton was in her yard with several people, including her husband and three young children, when the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.