Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gun Ban Case
Nov 7, 2023 4:14 PM CST
SCOTUS Hears Domestic Violence Gun Ban Case
Justices seemed likely to allow gun ban for people under restraining orders
- The Supreme Court expanded gun rights in a major decision last year—but in a case before the court on Tuesday, justices seemed less inclined to protect gun rights for people under domestic violence restraining orders. During arguments in the court's first major Second Amendment case since last year'...
Young Gun Violence Survivors
Face 'Massive Health Crises'
Nov 7, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Young Gun Violence Survivors Face 'Massive Health Crises'
Study explores 'unbelievable impact' on young survivors specifically, an understudied issue
- Child survivors of gun violence are just that—survivors. Where others died, they were spared. Yet for many survivors, life after gun violence can feel like a curse. New research, using more than 2,000 employer-sponsored insurance claims to chart the health and economic effects for survivors under the age...
Gun Shop Owner: Maine
Suspect Triggered 'Yellow Flag'
Oct 30, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Gun Shop Owner: Maine Suspect Triggered 'Yellow Flag'
Robert Card reportedly tried to buy silencer months earlier, was rejected due to one answer on form
- The man suspected of killing 18 and injuring 13 in a mass shooting last week in Lewiston, Maine, apparently tried to buy a silencer at a local gun shop almost three months before the massacre. Rick LaChapelle, owner of Coastal Defense Firearms in nearby Auburn, tells ABC News that Robert...
White House Rolls Out
a Gun Violence Initiative
Sep 22, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
White House Rolls Out a Gun Violence Initiative
VP Kamala Harris will oversee the new Office of Gun Violence Prevention
- For the first time, the White House will have an office dedicated solely to fighting gun violence. The Biden administration announced its plans Wednesday on the new office, which Reuters notes will "implement existing laws and work with local authorities to pass gun safety legislation at the state level,...
Philadelphia Sheriff's Office
Loses Track of 185 Guns
Sep 21, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Philadelphia Sheriff's Office Loses Track of 185 Guns
City comptroller suggests shoddy record-keeping is a factor
- The Philadelphia Sheriff's Office can't account for 185 missing guns. The jarring stat comes from a report released this week by the city controller's office, per the AP . Some of the missing guns were part of the sheriff's office's arsenal and others were confiscated from...
Police Chief Balks
Sep 9, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Albuquerque Police Chief Balks at Governor's Emergency Order
After shootings, New Mexico's Michelle Lujan Grisham suspends open, concealed carry in city
- New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days after a spate of gun violence. The Democratic governor said she expects legal challenges but was compelled to act...
She Sought Police Help to Flee
Yacht. Then Came the Raid
Sep 7, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
She Sought Police Help to Flee Yacht. Then Came the Raid
Retired physician Scott Anthony Burke allegedly found with drugs, guns, prostitutes
- A 911 call about a woman in distress on a yacht anchored in Nantucket Harbor has led to drug trafficking and weapons charges against the vessel's owner, a retired physician. Nantucket police say they received a call shortly before 8am Tuesday with a "report of a female party,...
Barrett, Roberts Side With
Liberals on Ghost Guns
Aug 8, 2023 12:54 PM CDT
Barrett, Roberts Side With Liberals on Ghost Guns
New regulation on them will stay in effect while courts weigh its legality
- The Supreme Court is reinstating a regulation aimed at reining in the proliferation of ghost guns—firearms without serial numbers that have been turning up at crime scenes across the nation in increasing numbers. The court on Tuesday voted 5-4 to put on hold a ruling from a federal judge...
SCOTUS Rarely Takes On
2A Cases, but One's Coming Up
Jul 1, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
SCOTUS Rarely Takes On 2A Cases, but One's Coming Up
Justices agree to review whether government can bar domestic abusers from having guns
- The Supreme Court wrapped up its latest term this week with high-profile rulings involving affirmative action , LGBTQ+ and religious rights , and student loan debt , and now it's looking ahead to its next roster of cases, including one that's sure to draw the attention of both gun safety and...
6-Year-Old Finds Gun in
Home, Shoots Baby Brother
Jun 10, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
6-Year-Old Finds Gun in Home, Shoots Baby Brother
Cops say Detroit infant will survive after latest incident involving kids stumbling on firearms
- "Here we are again." That was the frustrated statement given Wednesday night by Detroit Assistant Police Chief Charles Fitzgerald, after a 6-year-old boy found a gun inside his house and shot his baby brother, twice—in what Fitzgerald noted has become a "too common occurrence," per...
Girl Shot After
Ball Rolled Into
Yard: 'No Place
Is Truly Safe'
Apr 20, 2023 6:44 AM CDT
Girl Shot After Ball Rolled Into Yard: 'No Place Is Truly Safe'
4 separate incidents in past week over apparent mistakes sheds light on violence over 'banal' errors
- The shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl last week by 84-year-old Andrew Lester—who said he was "scared to death" of the Missouri teen when he showed up at Lester's home in error to pick up his younger brothers—was followed soon after by the fatal shooting of 20-year-old...
Mom Charged After Another
Child Brings Gun to Va. School
Feb 18, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Mom Charged After Another Child Brings Gun to Va. School
This time, 6-year-old was at Norfolk's Little Creek Elementary, month after teacher was shot
- Last month, an elementary school teacher in Newport News, Virginia, was shot and seriously injured by one of her students—a 6-year-old boy. Now, the mother of another 6-year-old in Virginia has been charged after her child brought a handgun to school. Per a release from the City of Norfolk,...
'It's Almost Incomprehensible
What You're Watching'
Jan 17, 2023 9:25 AM CST
'It's Almost Incomprehensible What You're Watching'
Indiana dad faces felony neglect charge after 4-year-old plays with loaded gun on live TV
- An Indiana man is facing a neglect charge after his 4-year-old son was captured playing with a loaded handgun on live TV. Footage from a doorbell camera, showing a diaper-clad boy pulling the trigger of the weapon in the hallway of an apartment complex, was aired Saturday on the Reelz...
TSA Stops Record Number
of Guns at Airport Checkpoints
Dec 19, 2022 11:39 AM CST
TSA Stops Record Number of Guns at Airport Checkpoints
More than 6.3K firearms have been seized already, and the year's not even done
- Firearms aren't permitted in plane cabins during flights, even if passengers have a concealed-weapons permit. That didn't stop a whole lot of people from packing guns in their carry-ons this year—either forgetting they were there, not realizing they weren't allowed to pack them (or not realizing...
Guns Delivered to School
After Address Mix-Up
Aug 25, 2022 4:46 AM CDT
Guns Delivered to School After Address Mix-Up
Workers thought boxes contained textbooks
- A Philadelphia-area high school that was expecting a delivery of textbooks and school supplies received a delivery of guns instead. Police say a FedEx driver dropped off six boxes, each containing an M1 rifle, at the loading dock of Chester High School on Friday, CBS Philadelphia reports. District authorities say...
FBI Report Casts Doubt
on Baldwin's Trigger Claim
Aug 15, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
FBI Report Casts Doubt on Baldwin's Trigger Claim
Actor says he never pulled it in cinematographer's death, but tests suggest that's impossible
- The investigation into exactly what transpired before Alec Baldwin accidentally killed a cinematographer on set is ongoing, but a new FBI report casts doubt on one element of Baldwin's account. The actor told ABC News definitively last year that he never pulled the trigger of what he was told...
Teacher: 'Please Don't
Offer Me a Gun'
Aug 9, 2022 3:22 PM CDT
Teacher: 'Please Don't Offer Me a Gun'
Beth Ann Fennelly calls on lawmakers to act instead of asking teachers to take up arms
- From kindergarten to college, all teachers have their rituals when it comes to preparing for the first day of school. As Beth Ann Fennelly writes in a guest essay for the
New York Times,
those rituals can be considered in three categories: the practical (e.g., arranging desks and supplies);...
Expert: Weapon That Killed Abe
Was 'No Standard Shotgun'
Jul 8, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Expert: Weapon That Killed Abe Was 'No Standard Shotgun'
Police say they found homemade guns in raid of suspect's house
- Japanese police said they found multiple homemade weapons in a raid Friday on the residence of the man held in the assassination of Shinzo Abe, several of which are similar to the one they say was used to kill the former prime minister. The murder weapon is more than a...
'Hard to Think
of a More
Jul 8, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
'Hard to Think of a More Unexpected Place'
Japanese laws mean gun violence is almost non-existent
- There will be no erasing the scars carved into Japan with Friday's assassination of former prime minister Shinzo Abe, say those familiar with Japanese society. The country has been "brought to a standstill by the news," which is especially shocking given that gun crime is almost non-existent...
Hangs Up Gun Deal
Jun 17, 2022 11:03 AM CDT
'Boyfriend Loophole' Hangs Up Gun Deal
Senate negotiators at impasse on defining who should be barred from owning a gun
- A group of senators is trying to hammer out the final details of legislation on gun safety , and one particular issue has emerged as a major snag: It revolves around the definition of the term "boyfriend". Coverage:
Under current federal law, anyone convicted of domestic violence against
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Daryl Hall Accuses John Oates of the 'Ultimate' Betrayal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.