Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jewish Doctor Fired for
Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Nov 24, 2023 2:54 PM CST
Jewish Doctor Fired for Anti-Hamas Posts Sues
Dr. Benjamin Neel accuses NYU Langone of wrongful termination, religious discrimination
- Pilots , journalists , professors , and doctors have been fired or otherwise disciplined for comments supporting and condemning Israel's offensive in Gaza, and now, in what will add to a nationwide debate over what's considered protected speech amid the Israel-Hamas war, one doctor is suing in response. Dr. Benjamin...
Doctors Must Pay for
Privilege of Getting Paid
Aug 19, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
Doctors Must Pay for Privilege of Getting Paid
ProPublica takes a look at the costly fee imposed by insurers and payment processors
- For those who complain that doctors have a knack for coming up with inventive fees, ProPublica has a shoe-on-the-other-foot narrative that illustrates the shady nature of the healthcare billing industry. It seems that most doctors have to pay a fee for the privilege of getting paid. These days, when insurers...
Doctors Group Sticks By Stance
on Youth Gender Treatments
Aug 4, 2023 8:48 AM CDT
Doctors Group Sticks By Stance on Youth Gender Treatments
American Academy of Pediatrics backs medical care for trans youth, but calls for deeper research
- In 2018, the American Academy of Pediatrics took a firm stance in supporting that youth who are transgender and gender diverse "have access to comprehensive, gender-affirming, and developmentally appropriate health care." Now, nearly five years later, the medical group, which represents 67,000 US physicians, is re-upping that...
Who Is a 'Doctor?' Nurses
With Doctorates Sue California
Jul 18, 2023 10:53 AM CDT
Who Is a 'Doctor?' Nurses With Doctorates Sue California
Nurse practitioners want clarification in California restrictions
- A nurse practitioner is not a doctor, but what about a nurse practitioner who happens to have a doctorate? It's no mere rhetorical game—the matter is the subject of a lawsuit in California, reports the
Palm Springs Desert Sun
. Three nurse practitioners who also have their doctorates in...
Rogan, Musk, RFK Jr. Zero In
on One Vaccine Scientist
Jun 19, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
Rogan, Musk, RFK Jr. Zero In on One Vaccine Scientist
Dr. Peter Hotez of Houston says he's being 'stalked'
- Anthony Fauci has long been public enemy No. 1 in the eyes of vaccine opponents. With Fauci retired, it appears that a vaccine scientist in Houston might be assuming the unwanted role. The scientist is Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of...
'Medical Freedom' Law
May 12, 2023 8:37 AM CDT
Critics Slam DeSantis' New 'Medical Freedom' Law
Florida bill allows doctors, insurers to refuse services based on religious, moral, ethical beliefs
- On Thursday, Ron DeSantis signed what his office is touting as "the strongest legislation in the nation for medical freedom," with four separate bills that the Republican governor says offer "expanded protections [that] will help ensure that medical authoritarianism does not take root in Florida." One...
In ChatGPT vs. Actual Doctors,
an 'Unexpected' Result
May 1, 2023 11:50 AM CDT
In ChatGPT vs. Actual Doctors, an 'Unexpected' Result
Patients rated AI chatbot more empathetic in its written advice than human doctors
- Scriptwriters , lawyers , and telemarketers are all warily eyeing ChatGPT, an artificial intelligence chatbot that may soon start horning in on their jobs. Doctors might want to keep tabs on how the AI tool could affect their industry as well, especially after new research found that ChatGPT had a better...
Under the Weather?
Do as Doctors Do
Jan 1, 2023 10:01 AM CST
Under the Weather? Do as Doctors Do
Advice from those in the know
- If you've been hit with a winter illness, do as the experts do—an approach made easier by the
Wall Street Journal
and HuffPost , which spoke with asked ear, nose, and throat specialists; pediatricians; and family doctors about what they turn to when they get sick. Among their advice:...
Make Competency Exams
Required for Older Doctors
Nov 28, 2022 5:43 PM CST
Make Competency Exams Required for Older Doctors
Mandatory exams could help identify those experiencing cognitive decline
- Cardiologist Sandeep Jauhar begins his opinion piece in the
New York Times
with a reference to Dr. Howard Tucker of Cleveland, who at age 100 is the world’s oldest practicing physician and an "extreme example" of an undeniable demographic trend: More American doctors than ever are working into...
Ex-Model Takes Plea
in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Nov 11, 2022 10:41 AM CST
Ex-Model Takes Plea in Killing of Psychiatrist, 71
Prosecutors say victim Thomas Burchard cut off money he had been giving to Kelsey Turner
- A former model has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the fatal beating of a 71-year-old psychiatrist, reports
. Kelsey Turner, 29, took what's known as an Alford plea in the 2019 slaying of Thomas Burchard, meaning she maintained her innocence while pleading guilty to the murder charge....
Doctor Who First Helped Diana
in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
Aug 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Doctor Who First Helped Diana in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
As 25th anniversary approaches, Frederic Mailliez speaks about the night of the fatal 1997 accident
- The woman was crumpled on the floor of a mangled Mercedes, unconscious and struggling to breathe. The French doctor had no idea who she was and focused on trying to save her. Twenty-five years later, Frederic Mailliez is still marked by what happened in the Alma Tunnel in Paris on...
Survey: 1 in 7 Doctors Uses
Alcohol or Drugs at Work
Aug 19, 2022 1:24 PM CDT
Survey: 1 in 7 Doctors Uses Alcohol or Drugs at Work
Almost half of health care workers are approaching 'breaking point'
- America's doctors are so stressed out that many of them can't make it through their working day without using alcohol or drugs, according to a survey from mental health company All Points North . The company says its survey of 1,000 health care workers found more than a...
When a Brain Cancer Doctor
Has His Own Tumor Removed
Jul 31, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
When a Brain Cancer Doctor Has His Own Tumor Removed
Dr. Evan Noch shares his experience in a HuffPost essay
- When Evan Noch woke from brain surgery and was administered an IV steroid dose, he immediately vomited four times. It surprised him. He had never heard of anyone vomiting after receiving dexamethasone intravenously, "despite this apparently well-known idiosyncratic effect." And he would know. Noch—that's Dr. Noch—...
Ind. AG Gets Cease-and-Desist
Letter From OB-GYN
Jul 16, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Ind. AG Gets Cease-and-Desist Letter From OB-GYN
Warning sent by attorney for Dr. Caitlin Bernard, who performed abortion on 10-year-old rape victim
- The doctor at the center of a story about a 10-year-old rape victim in Ohio who had to travel to Indiana in order to get an abortion has sent the Indiana state attorney general a cease-and-desist letter, for remarks that the doctor's lawyer is calling defamatory. "Please immediately...
Hitler Feared Getting Sick,
per Newly Revealed Letters
Jun 6, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Hitler Feared Getting Sick, per Newly Revealed Letters
'If there is something bad, I absolutely have to know,' Nazi dictator said to doctor
- Screaming at Nazi rallies apparently does a number on your voice, and it seems to have spurred Adolf Hitler to see an ear, throat, and nose specialist for at least a decade. Now, details on letters written by that doctor about the World War II-era dictator have been released. Per...
Doctor Acquitted of Murder
in 14 Fentanyl Deaths
Apr 20, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
Doctor Acquitted of Murder in 14 Fentanyl Deaths
Prosecutors alleged William Husel killed critically ill patients with fentanyl overdoses
- After six days of deliberations, a jury in Ohio decided that a doctor accused of killing multiple patients with fentanyl overdoses is not a murderer. William Husel was acquitted Wednesday of 14 counts of murder, all involving critically ill patients in the Columbus-area Mount Carmel Health System, NBC reports. The...
2 US Doctors Work to Save
Ukrainian Lives—Via YouTube
Mar 15, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
2 US Doctors Work to Save Ukrainian Lives—Via YouTube
Ukrainian tutorial out of Brigham and Women's Hospital teaches how to stop blood loss
- Nelya Melnitchouk came to the US from Ukraine when she was 18. After becoming an oncology surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, she began working with an organization to share information on cancer treatment with her counterparts in Ukraine. But once Russia invaded the country on Feb....
Humanitarian Doctor 'Didn't
Take No for an Answer'
Feb 22, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Humanitarian Doctor 'Didn't Take No for an Answer'
Partners in Health co-founder Paul Farmer, who helped impoverished people worldwide, dies at 62
- Dr. Paul Farmer, a US physician, humanitarian, and author renowned for providing health care to millions of impoverished people worldwide, and who co-founded the global nonprofit Partners in Health, has died. He was 62. The Boston-based organization confirmed Farmer's death on Monday, calling it "devastating" and noting he...
New Rx From Canadian Docs:
Date With Mother Nature
Feb 2, 2022 11:29 AM CST
New Rx From Canadian Docs: Date With Mother Nature
Canadian doctors can prescribe free yearlong pass to 80 national parks, historic sites to boost health
- Just what the doctor ordered: a stroll through your local national park. That's the new prescription that patients in several Canadian provinces might now receive from health care professionals, thanks to a program being backed by Parks Canada. The
reports the government agency has joined PaRx: A...
After Health Official's
Fla. DOH Takes Action
Jan 19, 2022 7:51 AM CST
After Health Official's Vaccination Email, Fla. DOH Takes Action
Dr. Raul Pino, Orange County's health chief, put on leave after encouraging staffers to get vaccinated
- Throughout the pandemic, Florida's Dr. Raul Pino has been the public face for Orange County's Department of Health, appearing during news briefings to offer updates on case numbers and vaccinations. The county health director may not be on camera for a while, though: The state DOH announced Pino...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.